• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't believe it for a second, but

What Sony have done is one of the worst anti-consumer moves in the history of the industry, and they should be made to pay back every penny. No business should be allowed to lobotomise the functionality of your property.

Not that I think they will be held accountable, of course, or that there is any truth in this article. But its nice to want things.

Pooya

Slims too?:lol I want to change mine with one of the newer models :lol .
this was supposed to be a E3 megaton, everything Sony related leaks out :(.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
My PS3 died ever since that update. 50% refund? Heck, I'll be waiting for this to happen with SCEE for sure. I still have the receipt almost 3 years later.

Mama Robotnik said:
What Sony have done is one of the worst anti-consumer moves in the history of the industry, and they should be made to pay back every penny. No business should be allowed to lobotomise the functionality of your property.

Yeah I miss hardware BC too.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I would so do this but I'm assuming you'll need a receipt which is long gone in my case.

sykoex said:
I would so do this but I'm assuming you'll need a receipt which is long gone in my case.

yeah, i think most people will be out of luck, since it's been almost 4 years since the ps3 launched.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
MWS Natural said:
So where can I pickup my free money?
If you're lucky enough to attent E3 they'll be giving out the money there to registered PS3 owners.

Sony will also be at handing out refunds at "E3", a large video-gaming event, to all registered PS3 owners. A new article will be posted very soon on how Sony will be handling this matter.

kazuma_pt said:
yeah, i think most people will be out of luck, since it's been almost 4 years since the ps3 launched.

I actually still have my receipt from my launch console. I bought an extended warranty when it launched figuring it would have problems like the 360s since Sony's track record is pretty terrible, so I've hung onto it for quite some time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
well:

1) the law firm has existed for at least 2 years and that is their webpage.

2) it is the law firm that was reported to have filed the class action suit against sony.

3) here's the court docket for the case--no final ruling, as you can see.

4) here's a motion that sets a very minor preliminary hearing on july 15th, 2010 (which implies that contrary to the "news release", the only way it'd end this week is if sony settled)

5) this news update doesn't mention a judge, the circuit, the circumstances of the ruling, and it's not written in proper english. it's clearly not written by a member of the firm. it also refers to unrelated litigation in another jurisdiction as if it matters. also, despite the fact that this is a huge, renowned firm that's won tons of major decisions, the news release for some reason brags about this one as if it's special when really it isn't. also, class action lawsuits don't get "50%" refunds. also clearly sony isn't going to hand out court judgments at a trade show. the update also claims sony didn't "defend their position in court" when clearly they have.

6) courts don't make rulings on sundays, hurrr

7) this stipulation, AGREED TO BY ALL PARTIES, says that Sony has until June 29th, 2010, to even make their preliminary response to the issue, let alone declare it over and done

so my guess is that their site got hacked

Safe Bet

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
They're gonna refund me 50% of the price for my $600 launch unit? :lol I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, I'm no legal mind but a 50% refund to all PS3 owners for a feature less than 5% of them used seems fishy to me.

DonMigs85

Stumpokapow said:
well:

1) the law firm has existed for at least 2 years and that is their webpage.

2) it is the law firm that was reported to have filed the class action suit against sony.

3) here's the court docket for the case--no

4) here's a motion that sets a very minor preliminary hearing on july 15th, 2010 (which implies that contrary to the "news release", the only way it'd end this week is if sony settled)

5) this news update doesn't mention a judge, the circuit, the circumstances of the ruling, and it's not written in proper english. it's clearly not written by a member of the firm. it also refers to unrelated litigation in another jurisdiction as if it matters. also, despite the fact that this is a huge, renowned firm that's won tons of major decisions, the news release for some reason brags about this one as if it's special when really it isn't. also, class action lawsuits don't get "50%" refunds. also clearly sony isn't going to hand out court judgments at a trade show.

6) courts don't make rulings on sundays, hurrr

so my guess is that their site got hacked
Seems likely. Proper lawyers shouldn't have such glaring typos on their site.

StuBurns

Banned
50% retail for every single PS3 owner, that is not going to happen, but it'd be funny seeing the repercussions, I imagine it'd sink SCE, or be very close to doing so.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StuBurns said:
50% retail for every single PS3 owner, that is not going to happen, but it'd be funny seeing the repercussions, I imagine it'd sink SCE, or be very close to doing so.

relative to their losses this generation, it'd be a smaller hit for sony than the 360 rrod warranty extension was for microsoft

of course this is bullshit, so the question is irrelevant

Majine

Banned
The text seems fake. English is not my native language, and I have no education in legal matters at all, yet I understood everything. So, fake :p

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
relative to their losses this generation, it'd be a smaller hit for sony than the 360 rrod warranty extension was for microsoft

of course this is bullshit, so the question is irrelevant
Yeah, but MS launched knowing they'd have to clear that up, and didn't take as much of a hit on initially subsidizing hardware, and they have more money to begin with.

I certainly wouldn't want Sony to die, but it'd be interesting if nothing else.

Mama Robotnik said:
What Sony have done is bleh bleh bleh anti-consumer bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh pay back every penny bleh bleh bleh bleh lobotomise bleh bleh bleh.

bleh bleh bleh I bleh bleh bleh want things.

This is how I read your post.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I don't believe it and wish it not to be true anyway because of the amount of people that would take advantage of the offer even though they would never use the feature in the first place, people like that grind my gears.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sorry I made a silly, negative comment that I'd rather edit out.

Anyways, yeah it's looking like this is fake, what a shame.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
linkboy said:
according to this law firm, Sony will be refunding people who bought a PS3 prior to Mar 27, 2010 for removing Other OS.

Sony refunding people

Yea, I think its a load of BS.

Even Slims? Yeah, fat chance of that.

Still, getting some compensation for this bullshit would be nice. You don't remove features from the Peter Parkers. You just don't. I paid $500 for mine, it's bullshit. :|

AndyD

aka andydumi
Peff said:

Exactly.

I have now purchased 4 consoles. It could prove to be a substantial refund if this is true. But the truckload of salt that comes with this is a little large right now. Particularly since slims never had the feature.

Gattsu25

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
This is how I read your post.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQrQQwAg

It's a shame but I think this is indicative with a greater problem within America. Many parents are failing to take an interest in their children's education and the results are telling. DWC, don't take this the wrong way as it is never too late to learn proper reading. Sure, your parents are failures but maybe they had more important things to do than spend time making sure that their child received an education?

lowrider007 said:
I don't believe it and wish it not to be true anyway because of the amount of people that would take advantage of the offer even though they would never use the feature in the first place, people like that grind my gears.
I would take advantage of it out of principle. I thought it was a cool feature and it was nice to know it was there. Companies shouldn't be allowed to strong arm consumers by taking away advertised features once it becomes inconvenient for them.

But it's all academic anyway as this is looks like nonsense.

OP, I don't really care what you think. How about you put an informative topic title next time and stop wasting people's time.

Top Bottom