• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dont like Thors design

Despite the whining, the design is done and it always will be.

A design is just one aspect of a character, and I like it's so different from Marvel's Thor. I'm looking to seeing how he acts / his personality (I expect he'll be drunk half the time).

I'm also expecting Kratos to lose the 1st round to him early in the game.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Thor-Is-Fat-in-God-of-War-Ragnarok-And-Gamers-Arent-Happy2-819x1024.jpg.webp

Just.....what. No im not saying I want #hemsworth in this I dont mind the attire the hair etc. Its just, a god that should be one of the most recognize-able and should scream badassery is thor but just.....whaaaaattttt

I also dislike how much like the other site "omg body shaming how dare you" do people realize how unhealthy it is to be obese? Its not just a detriment to yourself its also to our health care system. If you can walk to the fridge fine you can exercise. Stop making obesity a norm in society.

When I see Thor like this I'm not thinking about how cool or powerful he looks, Im thinking about diabetes.

There, fixed it for ya! ;D
vlBMfyI.png

Justin9mm

People having a problem with the look of Thor need a reality check. This is what's wrong with the gaming community.

This is not Marvel, this is Norse Mythology.

So they didn't want him to look like Mr. Universe.. Some of you need to get a clue, maybe read a history book.

That's the art direction! Get over it.

Last edited:
People having a problem with the look of Thor need a reality check. This is what's wrong with the gaming community.

This is not Marvel, this is Norse Mythology.

So they didn't want him to look like Mr. Universe.. Some of you need to get a clue, maybe read a history book.

That's the art direction! Get over it.
To be expected with each new game.

White characters? no race representation
Fat characters? promoting obesity
Female characters? Woke

Lol Dev's can't win with this crowd. I'm more interested in how the game will play or what changes or additions they've made to gameplay. Who are the new characters? You know stuff like that. After all this is all artists/developers vision. Stuff that makes sense to discuss. Instead we have people like OP who has an issue with Thor's design and how it promotes obesity 😂
I've read some ridiculous threads but this takes the cake.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sometimes I do wonder where the rational intelligence has gone.

I get that you want to discuss things but the arbitrary stupid complaints about non issues is so bothersome that the thread creation privileges should come in question but I know the mods are loose here and it would be a bad precedent but damn.

The design is more than fine.

You want chiseled Thor go watch or play a Marvel game or read all the other more salient points made earlier in this thread.

sendit

Day 1 purchase. However, this Thor most likely has the same birth mother as Aloy.

Also, hoping for some belly physics when you fight him.

Last edited:

RCU005

I loved the design. I must admit that I didn't even imagine Thor looking like that when I saw the teaser in the first place, but judging by the design of Magni and Modi, I imagined it was going to be something similar to them, which meant something different from the usual comic book appearance.

IMO he looks imposing, and that's what the teaser from last game conveyed. You felt like "Oh shit, Thor is there!" and seeing the design, it is well represented.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You want chiseled Thor go watch or play a Marvel game or read all the other more salient points made earlier in this thread.
Marvel movies are what most people go by as the standard for character looks. So people will compare against the movies (Chris Hemsworth).

The comic Thor was 2x beefier and clean cut and wore a viking helmet. People dont care that Hemsworth Thor has facial hair, has a human muscle build and never wears a helmet because unless someone is a comic nut, what they know is what Hollywood shows them.

Last edited:

taizuke

The people complaining about this are nothing if not consistent. I mean i though this kind of discourse was only aimed at female characters not being pretty enough.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
3b95ayjpu2n71.jpg

not gonna lie. kratos deasign is too good
This same picture of Thor with the Lightning looks like he will completely fuck you up. Don't be mad if Thor or Odin kills Kratos in this game. Also its been beaten to death but this is actually historically correct. Thor was not some pretty boy muscle head. He was a barrel chested alcoholic glutton that was quick to anger and beat Tywin Lannister to the concept of a red wedding.

I hate how they make Thor evil in this game and call it following the myth. Thor was loved by worshippers. Thor has lot of good deed and questionable deeds. But he is no where near as evil as they portray him. Thor brings summer and rain to farmers for them to have good harvest. But kratos was never a good protagonist after gow1. And GoW developers are once again showing me they have no idea how to write antagonist without making them comic book level villain.

YukiOnna

I hate how they make Thor evil in this game and call it following the myth. Thor was loved by worshippers. Thor has lot of good deed and questionable deeds. But he is no where near as evil as they portray him. Thor brings summer and rain to farmers for them to have good harvest. But kratos was never a good protagonist after gow1. And GoW developers are once again showing me they have no idea how to write antagonist without making them comic book level villain.
They never said they were following the myth in how they wrote the character, simply on the design they said it's "closer" to it. Everything else regarding how they utilize the mythology is their own free interpretation. Pantheons being antagonists is a God of War thing. What was comic book level about Baldur and what is so bad about that anyway?

REDRZA MWS

He’s in Kratos’ way. End of story.

Tschumi

You've basically made a thread to say you're incapable of absorbing new definitions of a masculine trait. In this case, badassity.

I can't help you, I think you're just being wooden.

Compared to Baldur in the last game this guy looks like a helluva handful.

I mean her face.
I mean, I've stuck away from this whole thing but.. It's incredible what kind of dyed-in-the-wool convictions a few cherry-picked stills of a facial capture of a woman who is half a decade older than her original game can spawn.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think he should be the same physic as kratos if am honest, not sure if they are friends or will fight each other? If they fight each other it would deffo look better if he was similar to Keaton’s, just my opinion though

Kimahri

Banned
He's not even that fat. He's just got a very big gut. A... dare I say it? Beer gut. What a shock thing considering the amount of beer this dude drinks.

I like the design, minus the generic armor.
He's a visually-distinct antagonist.
It's not really fun to have Kratos fight Kratos-with-hair.
These two can square up in a pitch dark cave and you'll still be able to tell who is who.
Not to mention, Zeus' form is guaranteed to play into his boss fight design.

ethomaz

Banned
When I think of Thor, I immediately think of this classic painting:

1024px-M%C3%A5rten_Eskil_Winge_-_Tor%27s_Fight_with_the_Giants_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

To be fair though, I don't know if there are any texts that describe the physical appearance of Thor. Some of the other Gods though, there are more details.
Well this painting is not accurate with the Norse Mythology at all.

Thor has red hair and not blonde to begin.

ethomaz

Banned
Terrible design. Funny how people talk about it being "realistic" when Kratos looks the way he does. They are doing this on purpose so when your bad ass protagonist beats him like a drum you have a better time doing so, knowing he isn't half the bad ass you are. That is of course unless the strong female character doesn't step in to handle the situation before Kratos does.
Err Kratos is not a mythological character so it can be what the devs wants.
Thor is a fans red haired mythological character… and I expected devs to be accurate.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

People will probably understand just how strong he is and his weight means nothing when they show him in a fight like the opener with Baldur in the first game. Mimir wasn't exactly quiet about what Thor has done in the past.

gioGAF

Err Kratos is not a mythological character so it can be what the devs wants.
Thor is a fans red haired mythological character… and I expected devs to be accurate.
Not much consistency in what you say. Kratos is supposed to be a Spartan soldier from a specific era, what the devs want is not very accurate. However, for Thor you expect them to be accurate?

YukiOnna

He eats giants for breakfast. Can't wait to see him in action.
The PS Blog post also hinted at it:
Also suffering the loss of his sons and half-brother, Thor’s legendary bloodlust and wrath will be aimed at Kratos and Atreus.

Referred to disparagingly by Mimir as the “Biggest Butchering Bastard in the Nine Realms,” Thor earned his title as one of the most powerful Aesir gods by wiping out nearly all the Giants at Odin’s command.

While we don’t want to give too much away right now, we think even a peek at Mjölnir wreathed in lightning will give you a hint at just how formidable Thor will be as an adversary.

Bkdk

Not just him, this is the worst cast appearence wise for the series, probably just slightly better than returnal but it's still awful. I wish Sony will release a patch to just to heavy blur on all the characters, I just can't stand their designs, they are truly bad. I think the son and that black girl looked the worst of them all.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Not much consistency in what you say. Kratos is supposed to be a Spartan soldier from a specific era, what the devs want is not very accurate. However, for Thor you expect them to be accurate?
Do you know how a Spartan soldier looks in mythology?

How the fuck can he even lift Mjolnir without the iron gauntlets Jarngreipr?! I *can* believe the belt could maybe be Megingjord, although it looks nothing like the usual traditional representations... but those ugly gloves? Nay!

ethomaz

Banned
Is thor more powerful than odin in the mythology?
Odin is the ruler of Asgard... he is Thor's father and he created the Thor's hammer to begin with.
He is an old, one-eyed, long-bearded god welding a big spear.
He sometimes walk across mortals disguised with a cloak and a broad hat (he looks like a old mage by Tolkien standards).

Yes he is the ruler... the strongest Norse God.

Last edited:

proandrad

At first I didn’t care what Thor looked like. But now that I know there is a 9 page thread dedicated to Thor’s appearance, I hope they make him fatter.

Vangellis

I think the way they made the design focus on his stomach is dumb. I have no issues with the design of him being built like this. It just seems so weird for him to be wearing shoulder pads and shit while having a huge exposed area. Would be cooler if he was just more exposed up top with more tattoos, and maybe some scarification from lighting coursing through his body.

Top Bottom