• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dont like Thors design

lmimmfn

This is disgusting!!. Its completely unrealistic that a male can go into battle with his chest exposed, its like:

e80.jpg

look at that!!!!! how is that battle gear? huh, huh?

yurinka

Ever seen a frikkin' strongman?

thor.jpg

This is much closer to the mythological Thor than your Marvel movies. Do you really think a strong Viking would have cared about his 9% body fat? F*ck no!
This. A Marvel-like Thor would have been ok too, but I think that being like these folks is a good fit for a fictional character like this one while also probably matching the looks of how one of the strongest viking warriors could have been.

The folks from the strongman competitions are the ones that come to my mind when I think about the strongest men in the world, specially the North European ones sine many of these top beasts are from there.

Last edited:

Woopah

Err Kratos is not a mythological character so it can be what the devs wants.
Thor is a fans red haired mythological character… and I expected devs to be accurate.
It's a fictional universe. They don't have to stick to have to being "accurate" to anything.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I thought it was awesome to see him portrayed this way. A strong and big dude. Feels more hand and hand with Norse mythology. Hell, his body type alone is more unique than a standard chiseled hard bodied super hero type.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
What, all this hate against anyone who remotely looks 'woke" and 'hipster,' but when they finally give you the fat neckbeard gamer god look, you say no as well?

For shame gaf 😆 *takes cover*

Elog

He is awesome and completely in line with the mythology to boot. Loved how well they nailed him (<-from Scandinavia).

You know, technically the Disney MCU Thor is stronger than the Thor of the original legend.

The ideal of the Greek Statue perfection body is, literally, Greek. That was not the kind of body that the Vikings had for their gods back then. And we are talking about gods that are only kept from dying through magic apples, and only one goddess being designated as being beautiful.

Then again, of course you can argue that Thor was suppose to be able to disguise as a woman one time, but no one claimed her was good at it.

Thor ended up being the most popular god, but only because he is viewed as being close to humanity. And that was why he got promoted when Greeks showed up and made him Zeus. But otherwise he is just some god who eats and drinks a lot.

Maybe people are also going to complain that Viking Dwarves are not even short, but are just underground elves.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Odin is the ruler of Asgard... he is Thor's father and he created the Thor's hammer to begin with.
He is an old, one-eyed, long-bearded god welding a big spear.
He sometimes walk across mortals disguised with a cloak and a broad hat (he looks like a old mage by Tolkien standards).

Yes he is the ruler... the strongest Norse God.
I asked because sometimes the main warrior is stronger in fights compared to the king.

So odin can whop thor's ass, interesting...

I asked because sometimes the main warrior is stronger in fights compared to the king.

So odin can whop thor's ass, interesting...
As i already said on the post above yours, Thor was more popular than Odin despite being weaker. And meme effect turned him into Zeus, which probably was a downgrade as most of us know. Zeus was a far worse person morally than Thor ever was.

I like the resemblance to the strong man competitors. There is nothing wrong with a fat strong guy. I'd actually be surprised if the new GoW Thor wasn't a little fat with how he was portrayed in the stories we heard about the man. He drinks, eats, and kills people for his living.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Thor was the only one strong enough to even lift Mjölnir. Dude even needed a belt to wield it, so he's quite literally a weightlifter. In the real mythos, this whole "being worthy" was basically just being strong enough to hold it.
If he couldn't lift the weight, he could never have obtained the hammer in the first place.

What good is the god of thunder without his mighty weapon?
main-qimg-7bfcfc640f4de68aab14778b6dd6ad68

Kratos lifts heavy shit all the time, why is he not pudgy? He looks like a pro wrestler but even that build is superior for fighting than any of the strongmen you posted.

I am not going to act as though these fictional characters are actually limited by standard human physiology. Thor can look like whatever they want him to and still be a peak fighter. Just like Superman can be the most powerful being on the planet while looking like this:
flashp10.jpg

because he gets his power from the sun, not big muscles. However, if Henry Cavill showed up in a Superman movie looking like that people would flip out. Superman is usually drawn jacked because it lends believability to the characterization of him as a physically powerful being. Similarly, drawing Thor as a man with >40% body fat does not communicate "hardened warrior" on sight.

Someone (like op) not liking Thor's design is likely down to the instinctive feeling that his title/reputation is incongruent with his appearance. Which is not off base at all.

Here is the Olympic champion in Discus and the silver medallist.
preview.jpg

Olympic champion is the one looking more like GOW Thor.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Now please let this thread die.

Pretty much.

Will bitch about one thing claiming "no white males in da game" and historically inaccurate

.....also them

Complains about white male in game that is accurate to how they describe Thor

This is one of the biggest reasons why I support developers not even wasting the energy to listen to stupid dumbass shit like this. The neck beards who even cry about shit like this will find anything to bitch about while measuring jaws and trying to claim their hate is based on 'accuracy" of a fairy tale...

I've literally heard that a character not having boobs is a agenda to have them look less female to be woke, yet heard another argument that to have boobs is a feminist agenda to be woke as well...you can't make this fucking shit up on how dumb it is. Basically nothing is allowed.

No demographic is allowed in game, all things are agendas to both camps.

Fuck em.

Make your own fucking game if many of you are triggered about this.

Thor looks damn awesome, and his character introduction stuck with me as being really imposing. Can't wait to see him and Kratos beat the shit out of each other.

I wonder how the hammer recall mechanic will play out. Kratos with the axe and Thor with the hammer has some potential. You just know Kratos is going to get sucker punched from across the map by the hammer.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The design isn't respectful to Germanic mythology. Germanic people wouldn't have imagined Thor to be an overweight man-child.

However, I wasn't expecting a respectful treatment of Germanic heritage. This is God of War, so of course they're going to give it their own spin. Still can't wait to play it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The design isn't respectful to Germanic mythology. Germanic people wouldn't have imagined Thor to be an overweight man-child.

However, I wasn't expecting a respectful treatment of Germanic heritage. This is God of War, so of course they're going to give it their own spin. Still can't wait to play it.
Why would any of god of war be respectful?
It’s a mythology…. And a game loosely taking from it. A fake thing taking from fake thing

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Why would any of god of war be respectful?
It’s a mythology…. And a game loosely taking from it. A fake thing taking from fake thing

I wasn't expecting it to be respectful. Read my second paragraph. I understand they want their unique spin on Germanic mythology.

lefty1117

Gold Member
My only slight issue is his upper body armor doesn't make much sense, otherwise no problem with the body dimensions or look. It's not Marvel Thor

Gtafans93

Honestly reading the Eddas and such Thor always seemed like the guy who would drink, eat and become fat because he CBF to do anything. Then at time it felt like he needed to be better so he went hunting, fighting, training, walking, To be better. Basically I imagine there was a time he was fit then he wasn't. He can be both

MastaKiiLA

My only slight issue is his upper body armor doesn't make much sense, otherwise no problem with the body dimensions or look. It's not Marvel Thor
My take is that he got too fat for his chestplate, and just opted to go without it. The God of No Fucks Given.

Top Bottom