• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't think Death Stranding will be as good as people are hoping

from what I've seen, from the last two trailers put out which one had a lot of gameplay. I can already see what it is. this is all speculation but I feel like I've seen enough to make some educated assumptions on the game.

I think this will be a walking sim /third person shooter. it will have a very convoluted story and even some of the voice actors and mocap actors said that it has a crazy story. which am not liking. but its not the biggest of deals. considering the fairly realistic approach to the navigation that we saw. am assuming this will you know. a tps with a lot of walking around and a lot of set pieces that tell you to go here and click that

am honestly not expecting much of a video game but its going to be more of a "Surreal" kind of experience. am expecting a mid 80s metacritic game here. it just doesn't look very promising. the coolest thing i saw is the summoning of that black inky looking enemy. it doesn't look like it has actual combat. there are no signs of weapons, melee weapons or gear. its gonna be a puzzle walk sim more than anything from what I cam tell. with long ass kojima cutscenes.

I think Days Gone will fare better than DS. unless we've literally seen nothing from death stranding gameplay.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
If the game ends up being bad, I can only imagine the internal gloating that will go on at Konami.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think Death Stranding has an excellent shot at being GOTY. He has an excellent eye for turning something unique or strange into enjoyment. He can turn walking into something more like that assistant robot thing each character has. To me, he knows how to turn the mind's gears as well as give us a mental type of morphine.

Last edited:
I think Death Stranding has an excellent shot at being GOTY. He has an excellent eye for turning something unique or strange into enjoyment. He can turn walking into something more like that assistant robot thing each character has. To me, he knows how to turn the mind's gears as well as give us a mental type of morphine.

considering he only worked on metal gear games since 94 am going to wait for a second tho what we seen so far does not look impressive at all mechanically.

I can't really judge until I actually see some gameplay walkthrough or actually play the game....it does look interesting though, no denying that....

Gameplay is the one thing Kojima is pretty much flawless at, so I really dont understand the worry regarding that. Story, setting, theme, whatever sure you can make the case, but even the worst Metal Gear plays great.

Shit, he made a gameplay teaser that consisted of nothing more than a fucking hallway and people lost their minds over it.

Nelsin

Banned
You just said it we didn't see anything to judge it on.

All we seen was some cutscene I don't recall any actual gameplay videos as you recall.

Exentryk

Need to see more gameplay and figure out what you actually do in the game to properly judge. The imagery and the setting is interesting/unique if nothing else.

Shit, he made a gameplay teaser that consisted of nothing more than a fucking hallway and people lost their minds over it.
That was one of the best and scariest hallways I’ve ever experienced.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally hate, HATE when game uses celebrities faces for the characters and I'm kind of sad that Kojima who made such interesting and iconic characters in MGS do this for his next game. I no longer care how the gameplay is, this alone turned me off the game completely.

EDMIX

considering he only worked on metal gear games since 94 am going to wait for a second tho what we seen so far does not look impressive at all mechanically.

? huh? He has not "only worked on metal gear". Worked on P.T and Silent Hills, Castlevania series, Boktai, Zone Of Enders etc He is known most for Metal Gear, he has not only worked on Metal Gear....

I think he's finally learned how to prioritize great gameplay along with his knack for artistry and cinematic flare. MGS V finally has unparalleled, top tier gameplay.

I'm pretty sure Death Stranding will be worth my $60 if nothing else.

Raitoningu

Banned
The sad xbot desperately begging for attention with his retard threads...

How the fuck he is still allowed to make new threads?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think anything will be as good as some people are hoping. That's sorta how things(people) work.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Mistwalker, Tango Studios, Platinum Games, and even Respawn had developers who worked on a specific title or genre over the years. They all built games of a similar blend. Kojima has his experiences with MGS that he can mold with his talents. Crafting an experience as big as MGS was into a new IP is what gives me hope. Granted, prior workmanship is everywhere. I feel as though Kojima's talent isn't something he takes likely. It's like how he played MGSV daily to understand why someone would come back and play it. MGSV, in retrospect, plays very well if you want to keep playing a Metal Gear Solid game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm sure it won't be as bad as some people are hoping. A walking sim really? Oh except it has shooting. So it's a shooter. But it's a lame walking sim, not a real shooter because reasons. Etc.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm sure it won't be as bad as some people are hoping. A walking sim really? Oh except it has shooting. So it's a shooter. But it's a lame walking sim, not a real shooter because reasons. Etc.
These days people throw that word at every game, same thing as people call anything TLOU clone if it has over shoulder camera. Honestly its getting really exhausting and stupid.

zwiggelbig

from what I've seen, from the last two trailers put out which one had a lot of gameplay. I can already see what it is. this is all speculation but I feel like I've seen enough to make some educated assumptions on the game.

I think this will be a walking sim /third person shooter. it will have a very convoluted story and even some of the voice actors and mocap actors said that it has a crazy story. which am not liking. but its not the biggest of deals. considering the fairly realistic approach to the navigation that we saw. am assuming this will you know. a tps with a lot of walking around and a lot of set pieces that tell you to go here and click that

am honestly not expecting much of a video game but its going to be more of a "Surreal" kind of experience. am expecting a mid 80s metacritic game here. it just doesn't look very promising. the coolest thing i saw is the summoning of that black inky looking enemy. it doesn't look like it has actual combat. there are no signs of weapons, melee weapons or gear. its gonna be a puzzle walk sim more than anything from what I cam tell. with long ass kojima cutscenes.

I think Days Gone will fare better than DS. unless we've literally seen nothing from death stranding gameplay.

The moment u said ''I think its going to be a walking sim..'' I just could not take you serious anymore.. seriously wtf... This is Kojima, he has a great track record and especially when it comes to gameplay elements. The amount of fun things u could do gameplay wise in metal gear 5 was insane. That e3 trailer. Beforehand he wanted to make a peaceful trailer. For all we know it could be just the first part of the game where u just play as normal sim doing his normal job until shit goes down and things change.

jonnyp

I personally hate, HATE when game uses celebrities faces for the characters and I'm kind of sad that Kojima who made such interesting and iconic characters in MGS do this for his next game. I no longer care how the gameplay is, this alone turned me off the game completely.

Surely you jest? Wow....

It'll probably be a solid game on the likes of Shadow of the Colossus or Okami in terms of reception and sales.

That is to say, people may not like it initially, nor will it sell to expectations, but ultimately end up a nostalgia-loved entry in the end.

Danjin44

Surely you jest? Wow....
To me it’s super distracting and it really takes me out of the game. I’m pretty sure game itself might end being good but putting celebrities faces in games is huge turn off for me personally.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm not the biggest Kojima fan but MGSV was so amazing that I'm going to give Death Stranding a shot purely off how much I enjoyed it. That said, I don't expect it to be as good as that was.

jonnyp

To me it’s super distracting and it really takes me out of the game. I’m pretty sure game itself might end being good but putting celebrities faces in games is huge turn off for me personally.

I agree with you that celebrity faces in games is silly, but that would never detract from playing an otherwise good game.

Huhnkeshuffle

Neo Member
I worry that without the brand recognition and built in nostalgia of the Metal Gear series, that we may be in for a bit of a flop. Now I'd love to be wrong and I for one do enjoy a good convoluted Kojima tale, but without any of the built in character touchstones it just won't have enough bones for the meat to hang on.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The trailer was called Silent.. They left out the action, which means they're picking the right time to show it. I'll judge the game based on how much action is in the game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I worry that without the brand recognition and built in nostalgia of the Metal Gear series, that we may be in for a bit of a flop. Now I'd love to be wrong and I for one do enjoy a good convoluted Kojima tale, but without any of the built in character touchstones it just won't have enough bones for the meat to hang on.
Well I'm sure it's not a game that costs as much to develop as MGSV did or anything either though... I doubt it'll be as expansive either. Hopefully it will be focused and feel finished and wholesome though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I agree with you that celebrity faces in games is silly, but that would never detract from playing an otherwise good game.
Well it same thing as not liking the game's artstyle. Especially in a game the story and atmosphere is going to be the biggest selling point this huge deal for me. Because every time I see the main character I can only see him as the guy who was in Walking dead, I can't see character itself as part of the world. I know this might sound weird to some but it just how I feel and I'm sure this game end up being amazing game for people who are looking forward to it but this game is just not for me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I dont know where to begin how this shit even gets the hype in the first place..looks weird AF, where's the appeal?
So.....just because you personally don’t see the “appeal” other people wouldn’t see it either? Does that make any sense? Games can appeal to some but not to others, thats just common sense.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Considering its a kojima game, it will be probably ahead of its time at launch and appreciated in years to come. Like MGS:V, its soo good even today.

Virex

Banned

Have you played it to come to this conclusion?

Have you seen longer gameplay than just the snippets we got?

Have you experienced all the games mechanics?

Have you played the game from start to finish?

Please give us your review of the full game and what made you come to this conclusion.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I dont know where to begin how this shit even gets the hype in the first place..looks weird AF, where's the appeal?
Because it's Kojima. Despite making a good game for the PS1 with MGS, everyone has given him carte blanche for 2, 3, 4, and V despite them being a shadow of the first one. Nice racket.

Oh I"m sure a lot of you on the internet will absolutely slobber over whatever he produces. He can do no wrong. I'm saying here and now it looks like artistic shit. And in general gameplay... shit.

I fully expect for the year that it comes out that a lot of you will slobber all over it.

Kreydo

I agree, i also don't like this because the actor is a person in real life and knowing this prevent me to fully roleplay or imagine myself at the place of the characters.
I don't mind face scanning of unknow actors like for the Resident Evil serie(Jill or recently RE2), but when it come to famous actor with strong personality saw in other media, it's difficult to transpose them in a totally different universe.

About Death Stranding, I'm pretty sure it will be a MGS clone, they just try hard to make this mysterious. There is too much money on the table for just some weird experiment.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Is it even possible that this could get bad reviews?. Huge AAA game, massive hype, Kojima, it will get great reviews no matter what, like Read Dead 2.

zwiggelbig

regarding the celebirty actors. They are AMAZING actors. And I loved what Kojima said about it.
Working with those great actors he can direct a scene but since those actors are so talented they can twist what he wants, put their own thing on it, give their own input on doing something a bit different and then tweaking it together to get an even better scene.

Swizzle

Gold Member
Oh I"m sure a lot of you on the internet will absolutely slobber over whatever he produces.

[...]

I fully expect for the year that it comes out that a lot of you will slobber all over it.

Your views on his games can and should be discussed on their merits and you are more than welcomed to express them, but these bits here kind of escalates things in a “Them and Us” fashion that just adds noise to a thread. That, the dressing around them, I would reconsider.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Your views on his games can and should be discussed on their merits and you are more than welcomed to express them, but these bits here kind of escalates things in a “Them and Us” fashion that just adds noise to a thread. That, the dressing around them, I would reconsider.
It's not a them and us type thing. I think Kojima games have been absolute garbage since 2. And I think 2 was hovering on garbage. The only good game he's ever made was MGS and now I'm wondering if he only managed to make that due to the power of the PS. It was one hell of a game though. My thoughts are my own and no one on this board has influenced me.

Edit: I think I'm allowed to call Kojima games shit and to insinuate that he's been given a pass. I admit that the slobbering accusation was overboard.

But at the same time...

c'mon...

You see the undying Kojima love.

Edit2: I'm a bit ornery due to the Broncos shitting the bed against the 49ers. They didn't shit the bed this hard since the game against the Jets. I was a Vance fan in that I was hoping that he could turn it around and now I think that we should hope for a Harbaugh to come in a coach us to glory. So yea. Lots of thoughts today/tonight.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't think I can say what I think until the game is out, has been reviewed and I have experienced it for myself. So I will refrain from using my opinion on a game we have barely seen and know very little about as a vehicle of spreading FUD-lite.

Top Bottom