• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't think Death Stranding will be as good as people are hoping

KINDERFELD

Banned
Im almost 100% sure this segment is gameplay driven i.e. not simply holding left trigger or whatever. According to Kojima theres a balancing mechanic in the game, you have to manually keep balance in order not to lose baggage. Sam can trip, slip, fall over etc., not only on the ladder, but in general traversing the world. You can see him carrying an extra pair of boots with different soles, drinking water, we can assume theres some kind of recourse management system in place. Also the containers he carries have special yellow tapes that change colour indicating the damage these containers receive, it was also confirmed by Kojima.
Action was confirmed, but its not the prefferable way of playing, i.e. it will be difficult.

^^^
Glorified walking simulator confirmed.

Who in their right mind is without doubt about this "art experiment"? I have my serious doubts I will enjoy it since I rather have a great gameplay mechanic that develops into a game than a crackhead deluded story that develops into one.

If this games fails badly, do you think Kojima gets another chance?

Of course, he sells trailers now, not games.

A.Romero

I think that Kojima has a certain style that some people like and some don't. If you are part of the group that does, there is no reason to believe Death Stranding won't be a good game (by Kojima's standards). If you don't like what he does, I don't think DS will be your cup of tea.

Pretty simple.

Even if the game is not good, it will sell a lot. Kojima has at least one more game in him regardless of what happens with DS.

BANGS

Banned
Death Stranding is probably gonna be hot garbage, but the politics around it are gonna make score 90s all around I'm sure. Between the Konami hate boner, to the "omg it's so deep" nonsense storytelling, to kojima is god type fanboys, it's gonna be the most ill-gotten praised game in history. Kojima has really fallen off and has gone George Lucas on us... this game is gonna be shit...

kingbean

After thr mechanical marvel that was mgs5 I can't see this as a step backwards in terms of gameplay. I really hope its good.

LUXURY

I don’t think it’ll be good either. The more I see of it the less interested I become in it. It’s looking like it’s trying to be too much at once.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
at this point i'm hearing people complain about Kojima uber fans 1000X more than any actual uber fans. it's this anti-gatekeeping or something. i mean, the guy has made some incredible games. i don't think people should be ashamed of saying they like his games, which are some of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.

also, i don't get not liking "it has a crazy story". or "it's convoluted". no shit? do you want some mundane realistic story or do you want weird shit? you don't like crazy stories? why are you playing video games? you should be watching the news or something. videogames have silly, weird shit in them.

i don't get it, it's part of the whole reason i love his games. they go big, they go crazy. yes the fail at times but give me a break.

Last edited:

Raven117

My guess is that it will be interesting, but ultimately not crazy fun to actually play....Plus a whole lot of nonsense.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
After a few days of working at Kojima Productions, one new employee has seemingly been astounded of what they've seen of Death Stranding.

https://www.dualshockers.com/death-stranding-employee-reaction/

My take: Kojima is going to utterly wreck everyone. MGS, as the original stealth and cinematic game, introduced concepts to video games that just hadn't been there before, not in a wholly dynamic and engaging state. Since 1998, the way humans interact and communicate has been vastly overhauled, bringing with it a slew of new problems and advantages. Kojima has already proven he is a master of redefining an entire form of entertainment. With this game, he will do exactly what he did in 1998 except for the social media obsessed, 24/7 connected, cult of the ego world that we live in. Whether that world embraces or rejects his creation doesn't matter - we will still be trying to elaborate upon and perfect the vision he created 20 years later.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
"transformative online experience"
Those 3 words just made that game a hit.
It might turn out to be utter trash, but the online gaming community will eat it up.

When you talk about your passion project it always sounds like you are discovering fire. Let's see what it looks like with a controller on my hands and then we'll talk.

VulcanRaven

We don't know much about the gameplay so I think it is too early to say that it isn't going to be good. I hope we see new gameplay soon.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
I expect a lot of it will be puzzles and exploration. Just comes down to if the gameplay will keep you engaged.

Posts like this just prove how credibility is so hard to come by in gaming. Kojima knows what he’s doing and I’m all in. That said for many it’s worse than “you’re only as good as your last game” and more like “you’re only as good as your current game.”

If this game comes out and averages 95 on Metacritic everyone will say “Kojima’s still got it!” But as soon as he starts his next project there will be “I have concerns” posts.

Fact is, we’ll only know once it releases, but I have faith.

recma12

Kojima is the Tarantino of gaming IMO

Did some amazing stuff back in the day (Pulp Fiction is MGS1 in that analogy) and is super weird and secretive.
Personally cult hides the fact that recent work has been mediocre (hateful eight, MGSV) and makes ppl excited for new stuff.

No idea what Death Stranding will be or if it will good. I'm already turned off by the hype based on fuck all, that's for sure.

Also I already hate the discussions about this game. It will be shit but all the hipster dumbasses that claim to "get" it will act like people are too stupid to honor Kojima's work.

Fuck that guy

Orta

Banned
It'll be a load of shallow pretentious bollocks, praised as "art" by gaming hipsters desperate to felate Kojima.

Not all his games were good. I believe he made Zoe and those were bad. Metal gear 5 had great gameplay and a bad story do who knows.i do think it can go either way with this game. I also think it wont matter to much. Its a kojima made ps4 hyped exclusive. The press will love it

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I personally hate, HATE when game uses celebrities faces for the characters and I'm kind of sad that Kojima who made such interesting and iconic characters in MGS do this for his next game. I no longer care how the gameplay is, this alone turned me off the game completely.

Didn't he do that for MGS V. I loved that game.

dirthead

Banned
Gameplay is the one thing Kojima is pretty much flawless at, so I really dont understand the worry regarding that. Story, setting, theme, whatever sure you can make the case, but even the worst Metal Gear plays great.

Shit, he made a gameplay teaser that consisted of nothing more than a fucking hallway and people lost their minds over it.

As far as we can tell, it's always been his team and not him responsible for the good gameplay. He did the awful story, writing, and elements that made no sense parts. He's laughably overrated. Every interview we have about people who worked with him suggests that he's off his rocker and has been getting by on others' talent.

Death Stranding already touches upon so many interesting themes and existential aspects that I really don't expect to be disappointed. To be quite honest, I always thought that the military frame of the MGS series was really limiting Kojima's story telling. Kojima strikes me as a person who has so many interesting stories to tell. I cannot wait to see what he is capable of now that he isn't held back by the MGS series, having pretty much free reign to realize his vision without restraint.

It's going to be a wild ride and, I'm sure, a pretty abstract and confusing one too. I understand that this may not be to everyone's liking, but the trailers show that Kojima isn't willing to compromise. That alone makes Death Stranding a game that will set itself apart.

It's gonna be a game that will make it very hard to simply slap a number on and be done with it. That alone will make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm taming my expectations on Death Stranding. Kojima has never let me down, but this game looks to be so odd that it's simply too early to know. I think if you start to imagine what this game is you're doing yourself a disservice. It'll be a coin flip, either you are completely wrong and will be pleasantly surprised, or completely wrong and sorely disappointed.

I'm keeping an open mind on this one and staying cautiously optimistic simply because it's Kojima.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Death Stranding already touches upon so many interesting themes and existential aspects that I really don't expect to be disappointed.
It could have very interesting story but god damn having celebrities as characters is really distracting for me. I don't know why Kojima did this? I get the feeling this game going have either movie or TV show after the game releases, that why his using real life actors.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What is this shit about celebrities as characters being distracting? I mean do you struggle with watching TV and Movies because they have *gasp* actors in them? Many of them famous.

Like seriously, if you have the resources why not get people who are noteworthy in their field to do the job?

The reasons people are pulling out of their asses to throw shade on this game are laughable really.

Danjin44

What is this shit about celebrities as characters being distracting? I mean do you struggle with watching TV and Movies because they have *gasp* actors in them? Many of them famous.
Movies and TV shows are different than games. In games I have full control over the character and interacting with world. When I see real life celebrities in my games, I no longer believe that character is part of that world and it breaks my immersion for the game. Everyone might not have that issue but it is issue for me personally.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Movies and TV shows are different than games. In games I have full control over the character and interacting with world. When I see real life celebrities in my games, I no longer believe that character is part of that world and it breaks my immersion for the game. Everyone might not have that issue but it is issue for me personally.
Me too.

For me even though tv, movies and games are all entertainment, gaming is the one that is the most "fake and produced"..... because it involves selling disc, graphics, game play etc.... tv and movies are simply them on a camera and acting a story.

In gaming, seeing a celebrities face in the game feels more like they are a pitchman selling a hard good product, or they stood in a studio got some mocaps done and called it a day.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Well, in my opinion that's a really specious distinction. I mean seriously do you have the same issues with celebrity voices in cg-animated movies? Pixar stuff is full of very distinct personality voices, and yet most people seem able to invest perfectly well in scenarios just as "unrealistic" as any video game. Sorry but if its ok for Toy Story to have famous voices, then I can't see the issue with any game.

BANGS BANGS

I'm not praising a game I know little about and certainly haven't played, because that'd be obviously baseless. However saying that I've greatly enjoyed what I've seen from the promotional material thus far is fact. I'd suspect the same can be said about other people saying positive things in this thread.

Danjin44

Well, in my opinion that's a really specious distinction. I mean seriously do you have the same issues with celebrity voices in cg-animated movies? Pixar stuff is full of very distinct personality voices, and yet most people seem able to invest perfectly well in scenarios just as "unrealistic" as any video game. Sorry but if its ok for Toy Story to have famous voices, then I can't see the issue with any game.
I have zero issue with that. I wouldn't mind if they just lend their voice in Death Stranding instead copying entires face to the game.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm not praising a game I know little about and certainly haven't played, because that'd be obviously baseless. However saying that I've greatly enjoyed what I've seen from the promotional material thus far is fact. I'd suspect the same can be said about other people saying positive things in this thread.
That's very reasonable and cool and all, but why does that logic not apply to people speaking negatively about the material thus far?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I have no issue with that. I would mind if they just lend their voice in Death Stranding instead copying entires face to the game.

Sorry but that seems like a peculiar thing to get hung up on, especially as they aren't playing themselves. I mean for example inserting Terry Crews as Terry Crews into the promotional pipeline for Crackdown3 seems like a much more blatant example of playing the celebrity card for its own sake, than getting respected actors (not really major personalities even) to play leading roles in the fiction.

Again, I'm sorry but if you use the voice, I'd say you have the most significant part of the performer's identity really, Just because an actor wears a lot of make-up/prosthetics in a live-action role they are rarely unrecognizable, which makes obvious sense if you are casting them in a particular role.

DS also uses a couple of variations on this, as we know we have Guillermo Del Toro's image, but not his voice or performance; as well as Linsey Wagner effectively de-aged digitally to appear as she did 40 years ago.

Danjin44

Sorry but that seems like a peculiar thing to get hung up on, especially as they aren't playing themselves. I mean for example inserting Terry Crews as Terry Crews into the promotional pipeline for Crackdown3 seems like a much more blatant example of playing the celebrity card for its own sake, than getting respected actors (not really major personalities even) to play leading roles in the fiction.

Again, I'm sorry but if you use the voice, I'd say you have the most significant part of the performer's identity really, Just because an actor wears a lot of make-up/prosthetics in a live-action role they are rarely unrecognizable, which makes obvious sense if you are casting them in a particular role.

DS also uses a couple of variations on this, as we know we have Guillermo Del Toro's image, but not his voice or performance; as well as Linsey Wagner effectively de-aged digitally to appear as she did 40 years ago.
It just my taste. I don't want to see any celebrities faces in my games, it absolute turn off for me.

KRAai

oh wow it is another BANGS BANGS shitshow i will let myself out from this one :messenger_dizzy:
i guess i will just say the premise of this thread is absurd
like let's wait and see what the game is and then we will be able to have meanigful discussion

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's very reasonable and cool and all, but why does that logic not apply to people speaking negatively about the material thus far?

There's a lot of shit-posting going on. You'd have to blind , or being willfully obtuse not to notice it.

It just my taste. I don't want to see any celebrities faces in my games, it absolute turn off for me.

I feel like I've given sufficient rationale as to why that's a somewhat illogical problem to have. Its just wholly inconsistent with all the other situations where the problematic element (actors voices and appearance) isn't a barrier to suspension of disbelief.

To me essentially its on par with saying "games aren't real, so I have no time for them." Except your position is inverted.

Top Bottom