• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't think Death Stranding will be as good as people are hoping

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There's a lot of shit-posting going on. You'd have to blind , or being willfully obtuse not to notice it.

I feel like I've given sufficient rationale as to why that's a somewhat illogical problem to have. Its just wholly inconsistent with all the other situations where the problematic element (actors voices and appearance) isn't a barrier to suspension of disbelief.

To me essentially its on par with saying "games aren't real, so I have no time for them." Except your position is inverted.
This no different that’s people who turn off by the game just because it has anime art style. It just matter of taste. To you it might be “illogical” but I simply don’t like it, simple as that. If you have no issue with it then more power to you and I hope you enjoy the game.

Chiggs

Kojima is basically a "discovery writer" when it comes to his creative process. I never see much in the way of cohesion or clarity with his stories, but there are tons of little moments & scenarios throughout his games that can really add up to something special. That and his notorious attention to detail, of course (which I think is really a tactic he uses to distract his audience). Everyone knows the last great game he made was Metal Gear Solid 3, and that he's basically riding the "oh, he's such a genius and Konami is so evil" wave as far as he can. And that wave will certainly carry him far.

Right up until everyone realizes what a mess Death Stranding is.

My prediction is that the game starts off with a heightened level of intrigue and mystery that will keep you hooked, especially when paired with the game's beautiful visuals and haunting audio. And then, somewhere around hour six, you'll realize you've been had, and the game reveals itself to be a saddening mix of top-notch production, half-baked ideas and dorm-room philosophy.

A past-his-prime Kojima is like a past-his-prime Terrence Malick. Sure, there's going to be some interesting stuff, but ultimately the experience will be unfulfilling.

Last edited:

Chiggs

There hasn't been enough put out yet to make a truly informed opinion.

To me, your comment is precisely why I think we can start making some assumptions about the game, as the lack of anything concrete is pretty telling in its own right.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
To me, your comment is precisely why I think we can start making some assumptions about the game, as the lack of anything concrete is pretty telling in its own right.
Nobody knew that Raiden was the main protagonist of MGS2 until release.

Fuz

Banned
Movies and TV shows are different than games. In games I have full control over the character and interacting with world. When I see real life celebrities in my games, I no longer believe that character is part of that world and it breaks my immersion for the game. Everyone might not have that issue but it is issue for me personally.
Yeah, I'm with you. It makes harder to sustain the suspension of disbelief.

Chiggs

Nobody knew that Raiden was the main protagonist of MGS2 until release.

Of course, you're right. But Raiden's introduction didn't exactly change the type of game Metal Gear Solid 2 was. It was still a stealth game and we knew it was a stealth game, based on what was shown to the public well before we ever laid eyes on Raiden. If anything, Raiden was an ill-advised story swerve/gimmick. And certainly one that is not exactly remembered fondly.

Right now, Death Stranding looks like an aimless walking/hauling simulator with some sort of supernatural/sci-fi/ecological element(s). People aren't misreading what's been shown, even if their sarcasm and disdain are getting the better of them. Seriously, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that this game is anything more than a hodge-podge of ideas that Kojima has been kicking around since 2014, and probably includes stuff he wanted to do with Silent Hills and MGSV but couldn't. And, as I type this, I'm sure he's trying to figure out how to make all of it fit into something that, you know, makes sense to people other than him.

Will there be a few incredible moments? Sure. Will there be zany characters that show up out of the blue and alter the narrative? I'm certain of it. But I'm also certain that what we've been shown so far has all the earmarks of a directionless mess. Making matters worse, Kojima has nobody looking over his shoulder to keep him on point (and on time). Look, I'm sure some of you will squeal with absolute delight at the thought of Kojima letting his imagination run wild with a mega-budget game. "Finally, this genius has been given a canvas worthy of his brush."

Great. That's just not my take on it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Right now, Death Stranding looks like an aimless walking/hauling simulator with some sort of supernatural/sci-fi/ecological element(s).

No, that's what you get if you look at it in the most cynical and unimaginative way possible.

I mean honestly, did everyone expect P.T. to be representative of everything planned for Silent Hills? (i.e. a "walking simulator") Or did you just see it as a misdirect for a take more in tune with the franchise's usual style?

Taking everything at face value (in the most basic and reductive way possible) is never wise, but for a game-maker with Kojima's penchant for elaborate pre-release shenanigans its straight up stupid

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Kojima has been confusing people with the reveals and what we saw so far has been a walking simulator that looks boring. They have to show more gameplay and what the game is actually about. If they continue with these cryptic reveals in 2019, god help them. It been dragging on for so long, and I have been losing interest with every reveal.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kojima has been confusing people with the reveals and what we saw so far has been a walking simulator that looks boring. They have to show more gameplay and what the game is actually about. If they continue with these cryptic reveals in 2019, god help them. It been dragging on for so long, and I have been losing interest with every reveal.

Why would he show his cards before a release date has even been set?

Lets be realistic too, the game was only announced at E3 2016, and pretty miraculous in itself that they had anything to show then considering Kojima had only left Konami the previous October.

Dante83

Banned
Show his cards? He can't be showing cryptic stuff and drag it out throughout 2019. He has to eventually show something that we care about. Just some proper gameplay to show what the game is about. Is that too much to show? No need to show the story plot, obviously.

Last edited:

archvile7

I think Death Stranding has an excellent shot at being GOTY. He has an excellent eye for turning something unique or strange into enjoyment. He can turn walking into something more like that assistant robot thing each character has. To me, he knows how to turn the mind's gears as well as give us a mental type of morphine.
Eh. MGS 1-3 had Fukushima on board, who I believe made those games what they were. 4 was just all over the place, and, well, we all know what happened with 5. Outside of MGS, what else has Kojima done to turn the mind's gears? I think you are giving him too much credit and I, like OP, expect DS to be "meh". Especially after watching the gameplay trailers.

We know this game will have a weird online component. I think Kojima is going to shift left like Dark Souls did and have an weird take. Hell he may make Demon's Souls' world tendencies down a rabbit hole. We know it is going to have combat. We know it is going to have time travel in some weird sense. We know it is going to have some villain. We know there are going to be puzzles.mwe know it is going to have horror themes.

How it all comes together will be the gaming largest celebration in history or the largest roast in gaming history. Personally I think Kojima has the street cred to pull it off.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No, that's what you get if you look at it in the most cynical and unimaginative way possible.

I mean honestly, did everyone expect P.T. to be representative of everything planned for Silent Hills? (i.e. a "walking simulator") Or did you just see it as a misdirect for a take more in tune with the franchise's usual style?

Taking everything at face value (in the most basic and reductive way possible) is never wise, but for a game-maker with Kojima's penchant for elaborate pre-release shenanigans its straight up stupid
Factually he isn’t wrong. But watch Kojima come roaring back delivering new cuts featuring actual gameplay. He’ll do it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Show his cards? He can't be showing cryptic stuff and drag it out throughout 2019. He has to eventually show something that we care about. Just some proper gameplay to show what the game is about. Is that too much to show? No need to show the story plot, obviously.

Yes, eventually. Like when there's a firm release date!

You're acting like the game is out early in the new year, when its probably Q3 at the earliest. Most likely later as Sony tends to separate major releases by 3 months or more.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Kojima has a chance to out do himself, and yeah these teasers don’t show much of anything. We want a trailer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Eh. MGS 1-3 had Fukushima on board, who I believe made those games what they were. 4 was just all over the place, and, well, we all know what happened with 5. Outside of MGS, what else has Kojima done to turn the mind's gears? I think you are giving him too much credit and I, like OP, expect DS to be "meh". Especially after watching the gameplay trailers.

Policenauts and Snatcher. I've been around the crowd to condemn Kojima since the early 2000's. Even when MGS4 was out it was painfully obvious that opinions about the game were bad. Yeah, stealth, confusing story, long cut scenes, etc etc. Kojima is creative and even if it is not his personal work; Kojima is able to collaborate with people who can make a completely original product. I wasn't sitting there appalled by MGSV either. It sure felt incomplete after watching the DVD. But it had a great soundtrack, fun firefights, and overall it was entertaining. It probably lacked some finishing touches. I like what he has put his name on. Policenauts and Snatcher represent how well he (or his studio) can create a fresh design. Even when people say they can't stand him, his properties have established a pillar in gaming. He has great ideas. Who made a game that was better? Is this the whole Splinter Cell is better because its designed for a western audience?

I guess I can't break down everyone's roles, but Kojima had his name and his face on MGS and other various Konami games. I believe in his vision. I wouldn't know what type of work Kojima did on any of his games. But I like his style and I'll believe in his ability to make great games.

I was entertained by the presentation of MGSV's Nuclear trailer and I can still picture most of what happened in MGSV. In some ways he captures something well, be that characters, art, music, location, etc. There are a ton of excellent game designers out there, but I feel like Kojima understands the entertainment or "-"Hollywood"-" pallet cleanser gaming needs. He's willing to find that song, that vocalist, and that moment to grab the attention of his audience. That's why I like his work and I don't think Death Stranding will be some blow hard of a AAA game.

I didn't dislike MGS1-5. I enjoyed them for the same reasons other fans did. The ability to progress through the game and the story along the way. That includes all the fictional/nonfictional history that are in them. MGS4 was strange at times, but I took a lot from the characters and the events in the game regardless. The models for the characters, the locations you fight the bosses, etc. etc.

Even if you think his games are a joke, he still developed a property and a name that's recognizeable in a lot different artstyles and methods of storytelling. It's not like he forced people to play all 5 MGS games and their spinoffs. :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Yes, eventually. Like when there's a firm release date!

You're acting like the game is out early in the new year, when its probably Q3 at the earliest. Most likely later as Sony tends to separate major releases by 3 months or more.

And you are acting like a kojima productions spokesperson. Many companies have shown and put things out there without having a solid release date or just an estimation of a release timing. What' so hard about just showing some gameplay footage informing people how the game is like other than walk, walk and more walking? All these guys did were some vomit-inducing, ad nauseam of weird trailers, confusing people and making them dislike the trailers. If they do more of this, people are going to stop caring. There is nothing wrong teasing with cryptic trailers, but overdoing year after year makes it less appealing. Kojima has done some really cool trailers on MGS with gameplay footage, so he is fully capable of doing it for death stranding. No need to defend them like like they are this perfect company who does no wrong.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

"transformative online experience"
Those 3 words just made that game a hit.
It might turn out to be utter trash, but the online gaming community will eat it up.

And people like me, who loved single player games with a narrative just upchucked. Fuck online play, if Death Stranding is gonna be good (and thus far I’d say that’s highly unlikely) the last thing I want to do is have it be some Fortnite wannabe where I have to play with a million fourteen to eighteen year olds with buttholes for mouths.

benjohn

To me it’s super distracting and it really takes me out of the game. I’m pretty sure game itself might end being good but putting celebrities faces in games is huge turn off for me personally.
I get what you mean, but isn't it the same with the movies? Actors play different characters. When i'm watching a movie I see a character not the actor/actress

Last edited:

xviper

to those saying the gameplay will be amazing, MGS 1-4 had crappy gameplay, only MGS V had the best gameplay ever made even after 3 years

i have no hopes for Death stranding, game looks uninteresting, boring, and a walking simulator
I personally hate, HATE when game uses celebrities faces for the characters and I'm kind of sad that Kojima who made such interesting and iconic characters in MGS do this for his next game. I no longer care how the gameplay is, this alone turned me off the game completely.
100% agreed

usage of celebrities in games = lack of imagination and a boring way to draw attention to the game

Danjin44

I get what you mean, but isn't it the same with the movies? Actors play different characters. When i'm watching a movie I see a character not the actor/actress
Like said this before, games are not movies. In games I fully control the character and interact with the world. When I see famous celebrities face in games, I no longer feel the character is part of that world. I personally love unique and original designs in my games, that how we get our iconic characters like Snake, Cloud and Mario. Having famous actors face in games feels like the game is that actor's merchant dice which make the entire game feel cheap.......to me at least.

Last edited:

benjohn

Like said this before, games are not movies. In games I fully control the character and interact with the world. When I see famous celebrities face in games, I no longer feel the character is part of that world. I personally love unique and original designs in my games, that how we get our iconic characters like Snake, Cloud and Mario. Having famous actors face in games feels like the game is that actor's merchant dice which make the entire game feel cheap.......to me at least.
Personally I don't mind celebrities in a game. Some devs like Kojima want to mix Cinema with games and I don't have anything against it, actually I quite enjoy some of the efforts. On the other hand I realise that some people do not feel the same and that's OK. Different opinions I guess.

zwiggelbig

It could have very interesting story but god damn having celebrities as characters is really distracting for me. I don't know why Kojima did this? I get the feeling this game going have either movie or TV show after the game releases, that why his using real life actors.
I think this has more to do with him wanting to work with his Idols and talented actors who can give own input as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And you are acting like a kojima productions spokesperson. Many companies have shown and put things out there without having a solid release date or just an estimation of a release timing. What' so hard about just showing some gameplay footage informing people how the game is like other than walk, walk and more walking? All these guys did were some vomit-inducing, ad nauseam of weird trailers, confusing people and making them dislike the trailers. If they do more of this, people are going to stop caring. There is nothing wrong teasing with cryptic trailers, but overdoing year after year makes it less appealing. Kojima has done some really cool trailers on MGS with gameplay footage, so he is fully capable of doing it for death stranding. No need to defend them like like they are this perfect company who does no wrong.

Oh noes,you don't like the trailers for a game without a release date! Please think of the children and simple-minded folks who get confused by trailers without gunplay and explosions every 3 seconds!

I'm not acting like a Kojima productions shill, I'm not trying to sell you the game at all. I personally couldn't give a toss whether you like/buy it or not. Hell, I'm not preordering a game I know next to nothing about, so I'd never advocate anyone else to do the same.

I'm just annoyed by what I see as some really dumb and premature negativity.

quickwhips

I don’t know to be honest. I like metal gear solid but the rest of the franchise is meh to me. I liked castlevania reboot and I liked PT. But it’s not that his games aren’t good it’s just they aren’t my type of game usually. A game being good is usually subjective unless it’s broken and can’t be played.

crobb991

Banned
does no one remember what he did with the MGSV reveal.

completely blindsided us with something else until he was ready to show what was coming

wasnt it mobey dick games or something

im cautiously optimistic about this tho

#Phonepunk#

Banned
does no one remember what he did with the MGSV reveal.

completely blindsided us with something else until he was ready to show what was coming

wasnt it mobey dick games or something

im cautiously optimistic about this tho

i mean he basically showed the ending of the game. the hospital mission is one of the key storyline missions of MGSV and in it
you are following around Big Boss's bare butt
so it is funny to consider this was the first footage revealed from the game. it's honestly an epic troll due to the ending of the game. he almost is revealing the end of the game, in a way. keep in mind this was before Ground Zeroes was released even, he nearly spoiled the game without anyone knowing it lol.

even so, it just reveals all the classic Metal Gear characters, the Boss, Ocelot, Psycho Mantis, Volgin, etc. which is kinda what a reveal should do, not sure how that is blindsiding.

main problem with MGSV was that after Kojima was fired they kept leaking footage, so many full cutscenes, so much gameplay footage, that i think it added to the reflexive "no story" narrative that built up. everyone had already seen the story stuff as trailers, the D-Dog cutscene and all the others. they aren't doing that so much here, we've seen relatively few cutscenes, just a few scant minutes of gameplay, hopefully they will stick w that strategy. i think Kojima is more selective about how to leak game footage so that will be less of an issue.

tbh i wouldn't mind a more ambient game. i don't have to be shooting something every 3 seconds in order for a game to be entertaining to me. it looks like he has upped his Cinematic Mystical Sci Fi style w Death Stranding, so im really looking forward to it. imo the less i know about going into it, the better.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

From a technical point of view, sure it will be amazing, gameplay will be, ok, problably similar to mgs, dont see him triying something new.

But i see a dark future for Death Stranding...... it will be, somehow, very disapointing, its what i think.... Kojima, the time passes, and least of respect i have for him, and i was a big fan of the man years ago. Today its more a personality than a creator, when Kanye West wants to meet you, you're doing something wrong.

As always with Kojima games, it will be a sleep inducer, but the ''''''''''''''''''''''''journalists''''''''''''''''''' will give good reviews and after 6 months no one will be remembering this "game".

MMaRsu

Banned
As always with Kojima games, it will be a sleep inducer, but the ''''''''''''''''''''''''journalists''''''''''''''''''' will give good reviews and after 6 months no one will be remembering this "game".

Ahh yes, Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders, classic sleep inducing titles

*rolls eyes*

And who can forget the """"""""journalists""""""""" favorites like Mgs1 and MGS3 which obviously noone remembers because the """""""""""journalists""""""""""" just want to seem important

Last edited:

Stuart360

There are only 2 things that will be ceratin with this game -
1. It will be pretentious.
2. People will claim to love it as they think saying that makes them 'cool'.

Danjin44

There are only 2 things that will be ceratin with this game -
1. It will be pretentious.
2. People will claim to love it as they think saying that makes them 'cool'.
I'm sorry but thats complete BS. It is very possible people genuinely enjoy the game or are you one of those people who assume people pretend to like the game just because you personally don't like it?

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
usage of celebrities in games = lack of imagination and a boring way to draw attention to the game

That's absurd. Kojima loves movies, that's why he likes to work with actors. And I think the actors are totally a plus, Norman Reedus as the protagonist looks awesome.

You can say a lot of things about Kojima, but not that he lacks imagination.

Danjin44

You can say a lot of things about Kojima, but not that he lacks imagination.
Oh I know Kojima doesn't lack imagination but that makes even more disappointing to see he put celebrities faces for characters instead designing original characters.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i don't get how you can make it this far and not know that Kojima loves movies and has always loved movies and that it's a huge part of what makes these games the way they are.

like, criticizing him for using celebrities is just the most aimless criticism you could come up with. clearly the guy idolizes movies, he has said he is "made of movies", has long sought out film talent, etc. it's no coincidence he made a game that ended up in the Guiness Book of World Records for longest cutscene.

none of this is secret. dude has been pretty open about his interests for decades now. if you are upset he is working with celebs at this point, you are just misinformed or have some weird, personalized expectations on his career.

Last edited:

Danjin44

i don't get how you can make it this far and not know that Kojima loves movies and has always loved movies and that it's a huge part of what makes these games the way they are.

like, criticizing him for using celebrities is just the most aimless criticism you could come up with. clearly the guy idolizes movies, he has said he is "made of movies", has long sought out film talent, etc. it's no coincidence he made a game that ended up in the Guiness Book of World Records for longest cutscene.

none of this is secret. dude has been pretty open about his interests for decades now. if you are upset he is working with celebs at this point, you are just misinformed or have some weird, personalized expectations on his career.
I know all of that. I just personally don’t want celebrities faces for characters in ANY game, it take me out of the experience.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Honestly i have no idea of what to expect from this game, but since its coming from Kojima the gameplay must be decent at the very least, with very long cutscenes and a mindblowing story

Top Bottom