• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't think I am moving from Modern Warfare to Cold War. How about you?

Will you be moving on from Modern Warfare to Black Ops Cold War

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I don't play Call of Duty. Why am I voting in this poll? I must be dumb.

Votes: 55 32.5%

• Total voters
I never liked the foot steps in Modern Warfare. I like the idea of the scorestreaks in Cold War vs the killstreaks in Modern Warfare. After my time in the Black Ops Cold War Beta, I don't think it is a buy for me.

First, I mostly play Hardcore modes in Call of Duty. Unfortunately they are not in the Cold War Beta. But almost everything other than the scorestreaks and footsteps seems like a step back from Modern Warfare.

The guns in Cold War are less interesting. Maybe there will be more.

The visuals of the game (to me) seem a bit off... cartoony?

Even the streak rewards feel some how more generic.

Black Ops Cold War feels like a poor mans Call of Duty. I know that sounds weird. I'll go back to it more and maybe my opinion will change. But when I was playing I kept feeling I'd rather be playing Modern Warfare.

Walking in Cold War
7ac22292198cc21041a0a2776c260fc4_w200.gif

Walking in Modern Warfare
4712951-tumblr_n3tsmzbvi41r4gei2o8_400.gif

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The new cod is hot garbage. I haven't played MW2019 in 8 months but if I want to return I'd rather play that.

Yeah I’m still having a lot of fun with mw.

When I play Cold War I get the urge to go back to modern warfare. That’s not good for a new cod. lol

But you know how activision is, they drop support completely for their old cods when a new one comes out so most people eventually move on even if they don’t want to.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
The dearth of good FPS games on PS5 at launch has made this an essential purchase for me. Reserving judgment til I play on 19th November. I have faith that Zombies will be well done and look amazing.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I actually think the footsteps are louder in Cold War, kinda similar to how they was when MW first released.
But yeah I completely agree.
I thought it was ok in the alpha but the open beta it just turn to the usual BLOPS shit.
I played a the beta with a couple of friends Thursday and the one simply said, I'm not enjoying this at all.
The game is mess.
So we jumped back on MW and the difference was shocking.
Infinity Ward reinvented the game with MW2019 and Treyarch just can't touch the bar set.
Everything is a step backwards.
Maybe next time

I actually think the footsteps are louder in Cold War, kinda similar to how they was when MW first released.
I thought it was ok in the alpha but the open beta it just turn to the usual BLOPS shit.
I played a the beta with a couple of friends Thursday and the one simply said, I'm not enjoying this at all.
The game is mess.
Infinity Ward reinvented the game with MW2019 and Treyarch just can't touch the bar set.
Maybe next time
idk. For some reason I didn't hear much footsteps other than my own.

I went and played some Modern Warfare and ran Shotgun, Pistol, Throwing Knife and had a blast. I didn't feel any excitement using guns I normally do like the AK in Cold War. Just feels meh.

MiguelItUp

I thought the beta felt fine, so I'll definitely be playing it. MW 2019 is/was pretty damn good, but the last COD I REALLY enjoyed was BLOPS 2. MW 2019 was def the best since then IMO.

Riky

$MSFT
I presume Warzone will keep the IW engine with some Black Ops additions? I can't see a whole engine change.

Is IW going to maintain Warzone still?

This should have been made public by now. I'll probably play both going forward as they feel very different to me, Dirty Bomb was a lot of fun but it just isn't as polished as Plunder on MW.

baphomet

At this point they feel different enough they could be entirely different ips.

I think after Cold War will see all of the studios using the Modern Warfare engine going forward.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Filthy casual here. Seems like Treyarch should have paid more attention to what was a CoD revolution in the making, with MW.

It’s like if one of the Assassin’s Creed developers followed up Origins with a classic-style AC game. I don’t know a lot about that series anymore, but I would imagine that would have been a big disappointment to fans. They didn’t though, and smartly identified the shift and reception before Origins hit shelves.

That said, both games look like a lot of fun to me. When I get a new system, I want to hop onto one or the other.

HTK

Banned
The game is mess.
Maybe next time

I got to try this game out because the last 3 Infinity Ward games have been utter garbage Modern Warfare Multiplayer (Not Warzone the saving grace), Infinite Warfare, and Ghost.

Concern

Cold War is a pass for me as well. I mostly play warzone tho tbh. But when i play mp, its definitely always hardcore.

Cold War just doesn't seem right. I don't even care enough to download the beta.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Tis the season for a new Call of Duty. Fa la la la la, la la la la!

I’ll be joining in on the fun. Fa la la la la, la la la la! :messenger_beaming:

I like to change things up a bit, so I’m looking forward to Cold War. I do realize why some people don’t like it. I enjoyed the beta to Black Ops III more than the full release. I also played Nuketown and Team Deathmatch in Black Ops IV. I stopped playing it before that year ended. However, I do enjoy the time I do have regardless of the specific change in the game’s mechanics. Black Ops hasn’t really impressed me since Black Ops II.

Last edited:
Life is much better when you stop playing COD entirely. I remember back in 7th gen COD was the only game I played and get excited yearly. Wasted too much money on this shit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Every year i get the latest COD.

play the SP campaign (love it) (FU BLOPS 3)
Or don’t get it if MP only.

i do. try the online MP no joke maybe 4 times.
and wait for the next COD🤠

i treat COD like a 90ties action hero flick.
dumb entertainment.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I went and played some Modern Warfare and ran Shotgun, Pistol, Throwing Knife and had a blast. I didn't feel any excitement using guns I normally do like the AK in Cold War. Just feels meh.
Same and the guns sound rubbish, I also play hardcore mostly

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I never played the beta but from what I've read it seems to be faster and more arcadey? Those are the exact reasons I never bought COD since the original Black Ops. Modern Warfare was well done and the first COD game I liked in close to a decade.

I've never played Warzone. I just didn't. I have no specific reason.
I would say you absolutely need to try it, but honestly if I wasn't playing with a regular group of friends I would never even play the game.

You can struggle through playing with randoms and hopefully hit the lottery enough times to build out a list of people worth a damn to play with, but I feel the strength of the game shines when you are playing with a solid regular group who play to have fun.

Undecided. If MW gets a next gen upgrade and they continue to release new content then I'll stick with that. Think that's unlikely though so may end up getting Cold War at some point. It's a shame there's no Battlefield at all this year because I'd much rather spend time on one of those games to be honest.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm all for yearly COD releases but to be quite honest Modern Warfare is quite frankly still fresh.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am going to wait and see what the next gen update brings but to me this game feels more like a cheaper knock off from a real Call of Duty game.

The MP5 kitted out is so OP

Fake

Cold War is a huge downgrade. I was expecting things get better on the beta, but no. Still the same.

I guess will take years until a new CoD beat MW.

J-Roderton

Dunno. I’ll be trying it out in a few hours. Doesn’t look great so far. Then again I dropped MW like hot trash over the summer. Mostly just couldn’t stand the horrible maps.

Wait, is the beta open on all platforms right now?

Si.

Last edited:

decisions

The beta is terrible. Each time I play it I just wonder why I'm not playing MW instead. As an overall experience that game is much better and feels like it is the new COD and Cold War is a game from the 360 era.

IW as a studio just completely outdid themselves. Yes, the game has design issues according to some, but the game is so mechanically and graphically superior that playing Cold War feels simply unsatisfying.

I really just hope that they don't move Warzone's engine to Cold War's.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah I’m still having a lot of fun with mw.

When I play Cold War I get the urge to go back to modern warfare. That’s not good for a new cod. lol

But you know how activision is, they drop support completely for their old cods when a new one comes out so most people eventually move on even if they don’t want to.

If you want to stay with a fps game for more than a year then cod is a really bad pick sadly.

THEAP99

Banned
Both are boring. I miss the black ops 1 & 2 days.

I didn't like modern warfare but the campaign was good. And the game actually had some effort put into in regards to the technical aspects with great graphics sound etc.. all that jazz.

Black ops cold war on the other handle is just black ops 4.5 so outdated and crap

Bombolone

Gold Member
I was waiting on impressions to see if I should grab MW or Cold War for my fix. Zombies is tempting. Gonna have to wait until release to decide.
Zombies!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
i agree. Played the beta, its pretty terrible. MW 2019 still holds up well. Need new warzone map

oagboghi2

Cold War is a pass for me as well. I mostly play warzone tho tbh. But when i play mp, its definitely always hardcore.

Cold War just doesn't seem right. I don't even care enough to download the beta.
It doesn't "seem" right but you've never played it? 🙄Okay

Reactions: MrS

recursive

You can hear the footsteps but the big improvement is ninja perk or whatever so you can actually flank without the whole map hearing you coming.

Just had Blizzard refund my Black Ops preorder, that's how disappointed I was in the beta. (lesson learned there)

I agree, it's a poor step back when MW was a fantastic move forward for the series in spite of a number of issues that game has.

Everything feels off in Cold War, from sounds and animations, controller aim assist being strange, somehow even worse enemy visibility than MW, bad network issues and lag.

Cold War feels like a game plucked from 2010, not a modern shooter like what MW built.

Gravely disappointing but I do hope Treyarch can turn it around as their titles are typically some of my favourites CoDs.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I agree 100%. Infinity Ward made a great game. Really tough to match that. It isn't perfect but it is the best COD title since 2007's Modern Warfare.

The movement and player mechanics were a nice refinement of all of the prior COD titles. MW 2019 has incredibly fluid movement and the player feels like he maintains momentum at all times. Conversely Treyarch's movement is jerky, fast at times but sliding, jumping, and throwing grenades are all slow-there is no sense of continues momentum. Treyarch's games are marked with a more arcade-like shooting quality-the game simply feels more casual.

The MW 2019 multiplayer maps, while not all great, all have fully explorable interiors. Infinity Ward tends to to this with their maps whereas Treyarch's games are characterized by locked doors and hallways. The interiors constitute lanes in Treyarch's maps while MW2019's lanes are predominately exterior with fully traversable buildings to divid the lanes. It is a seemingly subtle but huge difference in their approach to map design.

Finally the sound design in MW2019 is just lightyears ahead of Black Ops. MW2019 is loud but the guns sound and feel real. The guns in Black Ops don't sound like they have evolved much from the 360/PS3 titles.

I know that the Pro and hardcore scene did not take kindly to MW2019-I think with a little refinement the game could do really well. The Gunfight competitive mode in particular is excellent. The pros took issue with the removal of dead silence as a perk-a change I think was for the better as it encourages a different play style and punishes players who try to make big solo plays as opposed to working with their team. The other major change was the removal of the minimap-this makes team communication and callouts more important; another change I see as a net positive. Finally people have complained about the SBMM implementation resulting in closer matches-another positive change that people seem to hate since top 50% players lose the opportunity to stomp on lower skilled players in matches. SBMM was in prior titles but seemingly had a better implementation in MW2019. I argue on behalf of the pro/hardcore scene in nearly ever game (Halo, Gears, Smash, etc) they typically know what changes need to be made but with COD the pros and hardcore players seemingly just want the game to cater to a more solo playstyle. I don't like that-a team based shooter played a high-level shouldn't be so focused on solo play. Then again Pro COD is only just now making the leap from console to PC but they are still forcing controller only so what do they know. If anything I think they should look to COD4 Promod for pointers on moving the game forward in the professional world.

Activision needs to slow down on the COD releases. Move to COD as a platform, it will reduce expenses and drive an increase in income allowing the monetization of the game's tail for years. Look at all of the success titles like Fortnite, Destiny, Apex, CS, and even Warzone had. This frees up development resources to make other games. Keep supporting MW2019 w/ battle passes, new weapons, multiplayer maps, and Warzone content. Add Zombies as another vehicle for cosmetic micros. There isn't any reason to not treat COD as a platform and continue iterating. Maximize revenue on the title for a few years before moving onto a new one.

Top Bottom