• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand what's happening right now

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
The biggest scandal in the history of American politics...and it's like the entire media establishment is acting like it doesn't exist. What is going on? It's both shocking and terrifying. How can anyone be expected to have any trust in the media, or journalism, ever again?

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
It’s a case study on the media more than political corruption. The media is not here to report facts. They are here to manipulate minds into accepting an agenda. Our enemies know it, see it, and use it to their advantage to hurt the country.

Eventually, something is going to have to be done about the media. There has to be a way to halt activism and misinformation while still allowing it to be a constitutionally protected entity. Freedom of the press does not give it the freedom to lie, omit, or alter news.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It’s a case study on the media more than political corruption. The media is not here to report facts. They are here to manipulate minds into accepting an agenda. Our enemies know it, see it, and use it to their advantage to hurt the country.

Eventually, something is going to have to be done about the media. There has to be a way to halt activism and misinformation while still allowing it to be a constitutionally protected entity. Freedom of the press does not give it the freedom to lie, omit, or alter news.
Ain't happening. The current form of media is rotten and dying.

The nazis spearheaded our modern version of the national propaganda artifice. The USA and the Soviets perfected it (literally by taking some of those Nazis and rubber-stamping them to continue their work) and normalized it during the decades of the Cold War.

Now we are in the slow transition from the information age to an age without credibility. Groups like anti-vaxxers and crystal healers are symptoms that society has lost trust in the multimillionaire talking heads on TV. And the media will keep doubling down, re-asserting their own superiority and insight, re-asserting that "deplorables" are the ones denying the truth, etc etc

However, it will point us back to individual responsibility for sussing out truth. This never really went away, but at least the comfy lie that watching the news / reading the newspaper makes you "informed" will die a painful death. The burden of proof on the media post-collapse will be much higher.

Saturnman

Jun 7, 2004
The biggest scandal in the history of American politics...and it's like the entire media establishment is acting like it doesn't exist. What is going on? It's both shocking and terrifying. How can anyone be expected to have any trust in the media, or journalism, ever again?
"Biggest scandal in history"

Maybe don't believe the hype?

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Ain't happening. The current form of media is rotten and dying.

The nazis spearheaded our modern version of the national propaganda artifice. The USA and the Soviets perfected it (literally by taking some of those Nazis and rubber-stamping them to continue their work) and normalized it during the decades of the Cold War.

Now we are in the slow transition from the information age to an age without credibility. Groups like anti-vaxxers and crystal healers are symptoms that society has lost trust in the multimillionaire talking heads on TV. And the media will keep doubling down, re-asserting their own superiority and insight, re-asserting that "deplorables" are the ones denying the truth, etc etc

However, it will point us back to individual responsibility for sussing out truth. This never really went away, but at least the comfy lie that watching the news / reading the newspaper makes you "informed" will die a painful death. The burden of proof on the media post-collapse will be much higher.
The problem with that I think is that a large swath of the population are perfectly content being know nothings or worse, informed about sewage and know nothings about everything else. I love my sister, but she has no interest in what goes on outside her bubble other than pop news, like who is screwing who, what Taylor Swift thinks, and so on. My sister is perfectly content to remain ignorant of world events and up until a few years ago, realized as much by not voting. But in recent years (and I guess it’s been going on for sometime only not as forcefully), people in the entertainment sphere (like Taylor Swift) are telling the Know Nothings how to vote. They aren’t saying “consider these important things and vote your conscience;” I’m perfectly fine with that. They’re saying “Vote Blue.” And now my empty headed sibling will do just that.

As bad as the media is, there are segments of society who it can’t even reach, so entertainment picks up the propaganda ball and runs with it.

Saturnman

Jun 7, 2004
If you live in other countries and/or listen to foreign language media, you'll see this scandal is really self contained within the American right-wing media bubble. There's more interest in the (over)reaction of social media than the story/scandal that generated the reaction.

Giuliani and New York post are not taken seriously.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
The worst part about this post is that I don't know which scandal you’re talking about. Obamagate or Hunter Biden
the worst part is believing a tabloid paper over actual journalism and not believing the DOJ respectively. Actually scary tbh

Last edited:

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
I have a fairly simple explanation. There is no press anymore.

hyperbertha

Nov 24, 2018
If you live in other countries and/or listen to foreign language media, you'll see this scandal is really self contained within the American right-wing media bubble. There's more interest in the (over)reaction of social media than the story/scandal that generated the reaction.

Nah the suppression is more due to them being taken extremely seriously.
If Joe Biden himself is conclusively incriminated, this is going to blow up.
All that matters is american elections. Doesn't really matter if the left wing bubble doesn't report this. Moderates are all that matter.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada

That is the problem. You have left wing media instantly and unilaterally declaring that something is debunked when they don't have access to all the underlying evidence. There is no possible way to instantly debunk this story unless you conflate it with previous stories. Russiagate took a 2 year investigation to come up with nothing but this story with pictures, emails and things that can actually be and have been verified is somehow a huge lie instantly. Why is it a lie? Because we don't like the messenger. Because the guy who was dubbed America's mayor, took down the mafia and cleaned up NYC is not to be trusted. We are being told that guy is not to be trusted by people who have spent their entire careers lying to you.

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Hate to break it to you, but just because they don't tell you what you want to hear doesn't mean they are the news.
Projection. I have a better record than you on this. I have been for the complete dissolution of the legacy media for over a decade. Especially Fox, who were all too happy to say that I hated the troops just because I was opposed to an illegal invasion of Iraq.

But go on. Keep defending them.

Madevil

Sep 6, 2019

I wouldn't be so quick to make that kind of absolute conclusion. It's being reported on here. (Australia, by the way)

Reactions: pramod

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
What scandal are you talking about?

There are so many to choose from...
You know, the one where an American vice president's (and now presidential aspirant) crack addicted son's computer was given to the FBI years ago after he abandoned it at a computer repair shop and on it (among other things) was evidence of pay for play involving countries involved with the company his ne'er do well son worked for and the same one where said vice president went and had the prosecutor investigating the son's company fired. Also the one where the fifth largest newspaper in the country was censored for reporting on this story leading to the FCC and the Senate getting involved in the pattern of censorship and lack of uniformity in applying the alleged "standards" at Facebook and Twitter. All this right after the ex-associate of the son flipped on him from prison and gave new emails involving corruption albeit from an entirely different country.

You know, that one/the thing.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Hey, when you have the authoritarian hypocrite who quoted TMZ and started the Jussie Smollett thread of 'already established narrative' telling you what sources and scandals to believe then I really don't know what to tell you.

It's always the same clowns. Always arguing the opposite of what they argued last week, always moving the goalposts, always with their selective interest in due process and credible sources (instead of anonymous ones).

It's always the same.

This is why you cannot be taken seriously. You burned your credibility. You died on other hills. All your screeching and hypocrisy serves now is for people who aren't as ignorant and forgetful as you wished they were can use your histrionics as a bullshit-o-meter.

I keep telling you clowns and you keep not learning:

You reap what you sow.

Last edited:

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
With the same evidence, switch the person in the sandal from Hunter Biden to Don Trump Jr. What would the mainstream media coverage be?

Anyone who thinks it would be covered the same way has lost their minds. That's all I need to see in order to know that the mainstream media should never be taken seriously again. When Trump is gone, their business is going to implode. They've built their identity and audience off of resistance bullshit for 4 years. What will they talk about after this is all over?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
You know, the one where an American vice president's (and now presidential aspirant) crack addicted son's computer was given to the FBI years ago after he abandoned it at a computer repair shop and on it (among other things) was evidence of pay for play involving countries involved with the company his ne'er do well son worked for and the same one where said vice president went and had the prosecutor investigating the son's company fired. Also the one where the fifth largest newspaper in the country was censored for reporting on this story leading to the FCC and the Senate getting involved in the pattern of censorship and lack of uniformity in applying the alleged "standards" at Facebook and Twitter. All this right after the ex-associate of the son flipped on him from prison and gave new emails involving corruption albeit from an entirely different country.

You know, that one/the thing.
Oh you mean the completely unverified and unproven "scandal" that is only being shared and supported by fringe right wing "media outlets". Okay. Thanks for narrowing it down.

And before you start screeching at me for my Leftist bias and my communist sympathies or whatever other BS you want to accuse me of keep in mind that there was an official Republican led congressional investigation into this very subject that turned up nothing. If there was anything at all to this story that investigation would have blown it wide open and shouted it from the God damn mountaintops. Every republican would be on Fox News for 7 days straight 24/7 showing the proof.

But they didn't. Because it's all a big "nothing burger" as I believe you all like to say.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Oh you mean the completely unverified and unproven "scandal" that is only being shared and supported by fringe right wing "media outlets".

Okay. Thanks for narrowing it down.
This isn't Russian Collusion, brother. There's actual evidence for this, no matter how much you wish you could handwave it away. Question: will the evidence be any more or less compelling if you were to hear this on CBS? (incidentally, your candidate refused to answer the question when a CBS reporter asked him about it). You know the media ignores stories that don't fit its narrative, and that's fine for you when you're on this side of it, but what happens when you aren't?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
This isn't Russian Collusion, brother. There's actual evidence for this, no matter how much you wish you could handwave it away. Question: will the evidence be any more or less compelling if you were to hear this on CBS? (incidentally, your candidate refused to answer the question when a CBS reporter asked him about it). You know the media ignores stories that don't fit its narrative, and that's fine for you when you're on this side of it, but what happens when you aren't?
Oh there is actual evidence? Well then that changes everything. I can only assume charges will be announced in the coming days and warrants will be issued. This is the end of Joe Biden for sure this time. Wait.....that phrase sounds familiar. It's almost like the Left sounds like this everytime a new Trump scandal is unearthed.

Maybe we all have more in common than we thought. Who knew.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Oh there is actual evidence? Well then that changes everything. I can only assume charges will be announced in the coming days and warrants will be issued.

This is the end of Joe Biden for sure this time. Wait.....that phrase sounds familiar....
You haven't seen the emails? Who is "the big guy"?

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
the worst part is believing a tabloid paper over actual journalism and not believing the DOJ respectively. Actually scary tbh

The "tabloid" to which USA Today is referring has a larger circulation than USA Today.

May 22, 2018
You haven't seen the emails? Who is "the big guy"?
Okay let's stop the dancing around and be serious for a second. Let me ask you 2 questions.

1) Do you think Joe Biden or his son is going to go to prison or be affected in any meaningful way for this?

2) Do you genuinely believe this story is going to move the needle in any major way before the election?

Yes or no answers are fine.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Okay let's stop the dancing around and be serious for a second. Let me ask you 2 questions.

1) Do you think Joe Biden or his son is going to go to prison or be affected in any meaningful way for this?

2) Do you genuinely believe this story is going to move the needle in any major way before the election?

Yes or no answers are fine.
1) Corruption should be held up to the sunlight and investigated. If there's enough evidence -- yes.
2)Yes, there's evidence it already has, which is why the media is trying to hide it.

Now let me ask you a question: if the charges are so flimsy and unsubstantiated, why is the media so intent on hiding the story? The media pushed the Russian collusion narrative with zero evidence for four years; why won't they report on a story where there's actual evidence? Why did the FBI sit on the laptop?

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: OSC

Boswollocks

Apr 19, 2019
Mars
How many times have people tried 'catching' Trump vs trying to 'catch' Biden?

As it stands, the shots:goal ratio is well skewed in one direction

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Then I wish you the best of luck.
Now let me ask you a question: if the charges are so flimsy and unsubstantiated, why is the media so intent on hiding the story? The media pushed the Russian collusion narrative with zero evidence for four years; why won't they report on a story where there's actual evidence? Why did the FBI sit on the laptop?

Reactions: pramod
May 22, 2018
No idea. But I have watched 4 years of Trump's scandals go by that got infinitely more backing and coverage than this and that ended up resting comfortably on the corner of Jack and Shit. So pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical of this dramatic Joe Biden "Scandal" that is being pushed by fringe Right Wing media outlets. You still haven't explained why if this scandal is so rock solid and provable how an official Congressional investigation led by rabid republicans weren't able to prove even a LITTLE bit of this story let alone put enough together to result in any real threat to Joe Biden or his son.

But like I said I get it. After all of the scandals that have gone by these last 4 years I know what it's like to be sitting where you are sitting and genuinely believe that you finally got your guy and that this time it will be different. It's rough.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: OSC and HeresJohnny
May 22, 2018

This. I know everyone would prefer to point fingers at either side and say which is worse but that's an exercise in futility. Politicians are shit. They are scumbags of the highest order and always have been, and yes I'm sorry to the people here but that includes Trump. But this should be expected of politicians and political parties, the moment people started deifying them and got into the whole cult of personality nonsense it was over. The politicians had won. These people are public servants, nothing more.

But that is beside the point. The biggest issue I've seen from the past few years is the complete corruption of the media. It's started a long time ago and has been around forever but has ramped up exponentially in the past few years to the point where all credibility is questionable in everything you read about. The current state of media in America is the antithesis of what it's meant to represent.

Reactions: Madevil

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
If this story was about Don JR and all other details remained the same the media would be covering this non stop. That’s what bothers me most about it.

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
I don't know. Are you gonna start about Soros and the Deep State?
Find a post of mine mentioning either in that tit for tat points scoring exercise. Plently of hot takes on your posts through the years tho! Still voting for Biden?

Ive said it before but I dont think you are a bad faith actor. I appreciate the fact that you say what you believe so I appeal to your intellectual honesty. Does this not at least raise your eyebrows to the corruption of the DNC? To Biden, to the bias Media? Come on man!

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny
May 22, 2018
Find a post of mine mentioning either in that tit for tat points scoring exercise.
Find a post of mine talking about Trump pissing on hookers.

Ive said it before but I dont think you are a bad faith actor. I appreciate the fact that you say what you believe so I appeal to your intellectual honesty. Does this not at least raise your eyebrows to the corruption of the DNC? To Biden, to the bias Media? Come on man!
Politicians as a whole are corrupt. It's not exclusive to the DNC. It's why I have repeatedly voiced my support for term limits and legislation to remove money from politics. But with that said I don't believe much of this story. If more concrete evidence comes out as well as more reliable coverage then yes of course I would take it more seriously at that point.

But as it stands now I don't view this any differently than the time Hillary was definitely going to prison, that time Obama was definitely going to prison, or that time that Comey was definitely going to prison.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
No idea. But I have watched 4 years of Trump's scandals go by that got infinitely more backing and coverage than this and that ended up resting comfortably on the corner of Jack and Shit. So pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical of this dramatic Joe Biden "Scandal" that is being pushed by fringe Right Wing media outlets. You still haven't explained why if this scandal is so rock solid and provable how an official Congressional investigation led by rabid republicans weren't able to prove even a LITTLE bit of this story let alone out enough together to result in any real threat to Joe Biden or his son.

But like I said I get it. After all of the scandals that have gone by these last 4 years I know what it's like to be sitting where you are sitting and genuinely believe that you finally got your guy and that this time it will be different. It's rough.
One of the emails to Hunter Biden stated that his job was to prevent investigations into Burisma and isn't it interesting then that just a couple days later Biden Sr goes out to Ukraine and tells them he's withholding aid if they don't fire the prosecutor doing just that? And then brags about it on tape at a later time. The congressional investigation didn't have the information they do now, and they didn't know the FBI was sitting on it, which is why they've opened a new investigation into it.

• Fire
Reactions: OSC

Saturnman

Jun 7, 2004
With the way this "scandal" eerily follows some of the events of 2016, I think both sides of the political spectrum can agree on what will happen next:

- Either Biden becomes president and nothing comes out of it.

- Or Trump wins reelection and nothing comes out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ememee
May 22, 2018
One of the emails to Hunter Biden stated that his job was to prevent investigations into Burisma and isn't it interesting then that just a couple days later Biden Sr goes out to Ukraine and tells them he's withholding aid if they don't fire the prosecutor doing just that? And then brags about it on tape at a later time. The congressional investigation didn't have the information they do now, and they didn't know the FBI was sitting on it, which is why they've opened a new investigation into it.
Then I guess we will just have to wait and see what this new investigation turns up.

Reactions: HeresJohnny