• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dropped my PlayStation 3 console today and i'm extremely worried......

I was picking up my PlayStation 3 console inside its box and it slipped from my fingers and fell from a height above my knee cap (15-17 inches off the ground) because i'm a baka who doesn't know how to handle his property well enough.

The console system itself js packaged inside with the brown cardboard holders so it wasn't loose inside the box. However, the box fell at an angle like this ---> / and on the tip of one of the corners.

I'm trying to simulate the fall of the console package from the ground in my head using whatever physics learned in my time in school. I'm still trying to think whether the console was severely damaged by the fall or not.

I turned it on tonight and put in Oblivion and played for a bit. The console is a bit louder than usual and it got hot very quickly. Other than that, no freezing or glitching. However, when I repackaged the console, I felt the console and it seemed more flimsy structurally wise like it would make some wedging noises whenever I tried to pick it up. That really triggered my worries so that's why I'm here writing this.

So GAF, any idea whether my PlayStation 3 was damaged or not. I'm extremely worried that I may have caused the demise of my beloved 6th gen console
rsz_o08pp5r.png

Cato

Banned
It is gone mate.
It is damaged and will probably catch fire and burn down your house when you are asleep. Killing everyone in the house.
You don't want that on your consciousness.

Only solution is you can send it to me and I will safely dispose of it and prevent personal injury.
What is the firmware revision? Is it CFW capable or should I just use HEN?

You pay shipping, OK?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Which PS3 do you have? If it's an original George Foreman grill then I am so sorry for your loss, otherwise just buy a new one my dude

Happened to me before with my Phat PS3 40gigs model, it was fine for years and then i had to change the laser lens and a few months later the HDD, ever since it's pretty much perfect, no noise no glitching or freezing.

Bullet Club

I bought a working PS3 160GB from a recycle center for AU$5 a couple of months ago.

So my advice is go to your local tip and look in the recycle shop for an el cheapo system someone threw out.

I also found a working Logitech G27 for AU$10 there, which was cool.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I feel for you OP. I once dropped my original XBOX 360 down a flight of stairs... oh the horror of it hitting 14 steps all the way down... it felt like an eternity. When it finally hit the bottom, the hard-drive and faceplate flew off for extra dramatic horror. I literally almost threw up after this happened. I was young at the time and my 360 cost me a half-year of earnings. I was thinking:

"So it's over then... it's done... there is no way it survived" ... as I looked over it's powerless, white plastic husk...

But... I had to know for sure. I had to know if I actually killed it or not. There was little hope, after all... I did literally drop it - 10 feet - down a flight of stairs...

So I popped the hard-drive and faceplate back in, plugged the sucker in and pressed the power button expecting horrible ratcheting sounds from a broken disc drive or the like and what I got was.... power. It booted up. Perfectly even. Like nothing had happened. It was completely unscathed from a fall that would have spelled certain doom for most anything else.

I won't deny how lucky I was in this instance, as this was the worst case of butterfingers I have ever had. Fortunately the end result was nothing short of miraculous.

Anywho... what I am trying to say is... you're console is fine. Heck... you dropped it in the original box, with all the original protective packaging around it, from less than a two foot drop? Yeah... it's totally fine. Any noises you're hearing, whether it's the creakiness of the shell... or a louder cooling fan... was probably already there before you dropped it. Those small things are just more elevated now because you think you broke something. It's just a mental thing man. Plus you were playing Oblivion which is notoriously horribly optimized on the PS3 (and the 360 for that matter) which typically causes the fans to spin at a higher RPM than usual.

So yeah... don't worry about it OP. Mind over matter. Just play and enjoy your console. If it dies... it dies. Enjoy it while you still have it.

I feel for you OP. I once dropped my original XBOX 360 down a flight of stairs... oh the horror of it hitting 14 steps all the way down... it felt like an eternity. When it finally hit the bottom, the hard-drive and faceplate flew off for extra dramatic horror. I literally almost threw up after this happened. I was young at the time and my 360 cost me a half-year of earnings. I was thinking:

"So it's over then... it's done... there is no way it survived" ... as I looked over it's powerless, white plastic husk...

But... I had to know for sure. I had to know if I actually killed it or not. There was little hope, after all... I did literally drop it - 10 feet - down a flight of stairs...

So I popped the hard-drive and faceplate back in, plugged the sucker in and pressed the power button expecting horrible ratcheting sounds from a broken disc drive or the like and what I got was.... power. It booted up. Perfectly even. Like nothing had happened. It was completely unscathed from a fall that would have spelled certain doom for most anything else.

I won't deny how lucky I was in this instance, as this was the worst case of butterfingers I have ever had. Fortunately the end result was nothing short of miraculous.

Anywho... what I am trying to say is... you're console is fine. Heck... you dropped it in the original box, with all the original protective packaging around it, from less than a two foot drop? Yeah... it's totally fine. Any noises you're hearing, whether it's the creakiness of the shell... or a louder cooling fan... was probably already there before you dropped it. Those small things are just more elevated now because you think you broke something. It's just a mental thing man. Plus you were playing Oblivion which is notoriously horribly optimized on the PS3 (and the 360 for that matter) which typically causes the fans to spin at a higher RPM than usual.

So yeah... don't worry about it OP. Mind over matter. Just play and enjoy your console. If it dies... it dies. Enjoy it while you still have it.
This is honestly one of the greatest posts and replies I've ever read and gotten :messenger_heart:

V4skunk

Banned
The corner of the box will logically act as an impact zone.
Why don't you just test the PS3 instead of posting here?

Mihos

Gold Member

I won't deny how lucky I was in this instance, as this was the worst case of butterfingers I have evertlyhad. Fortunately the end result was nothing short of miraculous.

Xbox adheres to the 5 second rule.

drganon

I had the same problem with my atari jaguar. Then I remembered I've never owned an atari jaguar. What the hell did I drop?!

Top Bottom