• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I emailed NOA, and they got back to me (eshop account system)....

hatchx

Banned
This is what I sent:

Dear good people of Nintendo,

First off, keep doing what your doing, I love your games and systems- I'm a big supporter.

My question is about the 3DS eshop games I download, and the ones I will download in the future. I realized the other day that I've downloaded a couple hundred dollars worth of games, and if I continue to shop on the eshop, a couple thousand (I'm a pretty avid gamer). My system has got so much value, it's like carrying a diamond necklace.

I was wondering, should I lose or have my 3DS stolen, is there any way to retrieve the games that I've purchased on the eshop? I am curious about your policy on this, and especially when so many young kids play 3DS and could potentially lose them. I know on the iphone and PSP, you are tied to an account to which you can retrive your games. How does it work for Nintendo? Should I be worried about buying my little nephew eshop points?

thanks for your time! Can't wait for all of the great games! Bill Trinen and Reggie - whatup!

....and here is what they replied:

Hello,

Thank you for writing. I'll be happy to answer your questions regarding virtual content on the Nintendo 3DS. All virtual content downloaded on the Nintendo 3DS is tied to the system itself. As our warranty doesn't cover lost or stolen game cards and systems, if this were to happen regardless of your games being virtual or you owning the physical copies, they would not be covered for replacement.

If you happen to want to upgrade from your current Nintendo 3DS to a Nintendo 3DS XL, you will be able to perform a system transfer yourself. The system transfer requires both systems to be present and connected online. This is the only way to insure your content gets transferred over to your new system.

Please feel free to respond to this email if you have additional questions.
Sincerely,

Brian McFarlane
Nintendo of America Inc.

Have you heard about our new home console? Learn more at http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/what-is-wiiu/.

Follow us:

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/

-----------

Does any other company do this? Where they tie virtual purchases to hardware, forever lost if the hardware is lost? I can only imagine how many little kids lose their DS's.

I was really hoping he would tell me that with my 3DS serial number, I could get my games retrieved. What a crock.

TL;DR- I emailed them about getting my games back if my 3DS is lost or stolen. They told me:
ReggieFils-Aime.jpg

rpmurphy

The only process they have in place at the moment is that you provide them with a police report and they will transfer your account to the new system.

So I guess the digital content they restored for me after my 3DS was stolen isn't actually there, gotcha.

Not excusing the lack of an account system, but they will restore it.

Davey Cakes

I wonder if Nintendo would let people use Club Nintendo as a way of allowing people to re-download games on new hardware.

When you buy digital games, they automatically register to CN as long as your account is linked. I think it'd be a decent method of proof.

CompC

Well, on the other hand, if you lose a physical copy of a game, no one expects it to be replaced.

But I completely see your point.

Rich!

Nintendo's backwards ass policies can work in your favour too, you know!

As I posted in the pick up thread, I bought a preowned White 3DS XL yesterday and discovered around £200 of content on the shop account paid for by the previous owner. Thanks, whoever you are!

Hale-XF11

I've never lost a handheld system, but I've lost/misplaced game cards before. That's why I'm actually more comfortable going digital.

Korosenai

This is why I laugh at people who buy digital games for Nintendo.

Buying something like Pushmo, Harmoknight, or a virtual console game is fine, because its the only way you can get them. But buying a $40 3ds game when there is an option for a physical copy? Not worth it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Is it legal?

I mean digital rights boundaries are being set in terms of ownership and ties to one account.

I'm sure one day this policy is going to be changed by Nintendo as it makes zero sense.

D-e-f-

Banned
TL;DR- I emailed them about getting my games back if my 3DS is lost or stolen. They told me:
ReggieFils-Aime.jpg

There have been countless stories of exactly the opposite happening if something should go wrong with your system or it gets stolen.

Thanks for being such a fan. We recommend you don't lose our wonderful hardware, but if you buy a new one! you can turn your old one into a paperweight, and transfer all the titles.

Thanks again,

Also Have you heard of our new home console? If it breaks or something the same policy applies :)

Nothing new, but as more time goes by, the more deplorable it becomes.

I want Iwata to stay, but at the same time, if he refuses to change these harmful policies, I can't feel too sorry for the guy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Emailing a public Nintendo support account about corporate policy is like asking the guy who served you a big mac about McDonald's corporate policy. They're not going to give you any private info, they very well might not be right, the person responding is at best going to read a script.

HT UK

Terrible service really. I usually prefer buying digital if it's cheaper, but definitely won't on 3DS.

Aren't Nintendo the only place that do this? Steam, PSN, XBL, Origin, uPlay and everything else are all account based. Locking digital software to hardware is just dumb

If your system breaks will they transfer your content to a new one?

I've spent $4 on the eShop thus far and probably won't be spending more until there's an actual account system in place.

Digital game sucks. Physical game rules!

what?

If someone steals your 3ds the game cart isn't gonna magically pop out and run back to you like a lost dog.

But I guess having only 1 egg in the basket is better than all the eggs in the basket (in terms of you can only have 1 cart in the 3ds at a time vs all your 3ds games digital.)

But I guess most people also have cases for their 3ds that has all their games...

F#A#Oo

Banned
I'm certain the first person to take them to court will prompt them to change this.

We need the strength of the Miiverse.

NeededSleep

Pretty much why I will not buy anything from their eshop till they have an account system. Though I broke down to get crimson shroud. But no more after that.

There are things I want to play too :(

Roto13

This is why I laugh at people who buy digital games for Nintendo.

Buying something like Pushmo, Harmoknight, or a virtual console game is fine, because its the only way you can get them. But buying a $40 3ds game when there is an option for a physical copy? Not worth it.

Know what else isn't worth it? Brain Age and Animal Crossing on game cards and not in my system at all times.

snap0212

Emailing a public Nintendo support account about corporate policy is like asking the guy who served you a big mac about McDonald's corporate policy. They're not going to give you any private info, they very well might not be right, the person responding is at best going to read a script.
Isn't the response pretty much in line with everything anyone affiliated with Nintendo has ever said about this?

hatchx

Banned
I'm certain the first person to take them to court will prompt them to change this.

We need the strength of the Miiverse.

Shit, that might just be me. I've gone all digital on the 3DS since NSMB2 came out, I'm an ambassador, and I have atleast a half dozen eshop games too.

Liamario

Banned
Seriously, stop buying digital games from Nintendo. You are just borrowing them. At some point in time, your system will not be useable- whether it's lost, stolen or dies. You would be foolish to continue buying digital content for the system, until this issue is resolved.

Top Bottom