• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Nintendo is being underestimated.....do you agree?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I mean they are coming off massive success with the switch, they seem to holding back some aaa games, and by all accounts a new console (or super switch) will launch this year.

The big wildcard for me is dlss, if they can combine that wizardry with a decent upgrade, do we have something that really only has to render at 1080p (or less) but outputs at a true 4k image quality?

Imagine this launching with both breath of the wild 2, and a new mario game a few months after......then a new metroid......

Added for clarification a bit later:
Let me qualify it a bit - in terms of next gen, most threads talk about ps5 and xbox, and how they affect or relate to each other. What I'm saying is perhaps Nintendo may affect one or both more profoundly than expected or is being talked about here.

Last edited:

Skifi28

As someone that bought a switch recently, I'm surprised at how few Nintendo games there are. Exclude the Wiii U ports and you are left with barely anything. What have they been doing these past few years? I would expect not having to divide games between a console and a portable would lead to more games, not less.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As someone that bought a switch recently, I'm surprised at how few Nintendo games there are. Exclude the Wiii U ports and you are left with barely anything. What have they been doing these past few years? I would expect not having to divide games between a console and a portable would lead to more games, not less.
I'm very happy with my Switch, but I completely agree. I expected more games than they've put out so far.

In terms of stuff like Smash and Mario Kart, they are holidng back - literally. It makes sense to not cut the legs out of MK8 if it's still one of the best selling games on the system. It sucks for us that have played MK8 since Wii U, but it makes sense to wait a bit I guess.

Even though I expected more games, the reality usually is that I'm still struggling to even play the ones they put out. I'm at 95 hrs in MH Rise. I didn't max out 3D World yet. I haven't even started Bravely Default II, just sitting on my shelf. I pre-ordered Mario Golf and will possibly get Famicon Detective Club.

Nintendo always has a strong E3 as well, and announces a few things for this year.

Aldric

I mean they are coming off massive success with the switch, they seem to holding back some aaa games, and by all accounts a new console (or super switch) will launch this year.

The big wildcard for me is dlss, if they can combine that wizardry with a decent upgrade, do we have something that really only has to render at 1080p (or less) but outputs at a true 4k image quality?

Imagine this launching with both breath of the wild 2, and a new mario game a few months after......then a new metroid......
Underestimated by who? They're currently the most successful hardware and software maker on the market by quite a large margin and there's no signs of it slowing down. They're even starting to get massive console exclusive third party hits like Monster Hunter Rise. You could make an argument it's the healthiest they've been since the NES and Gameboy days.

K' Dash

Nintendo does their own thing and it has been like that for a while now, you see it like they're being underestimated because this forum is too busy with the MS vs Sony threads.

THE DUCK

Let me qualify it a bit - in terms of next gen, most threads talk about ps5 and xbox, and how they affect or relate to each other. What I'm saying is perhaps Nintendo may affect one or both more profoundly than expected or is being talked about here.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nope, they are in top form. As much as they products don’t really do it for me anymore the fact that they are a juggernaut in the field is undeniable.

Last edited:
They're just being very quiet at the moment. I don't think anyone with half a brain would underestimate nintendo. I'm certainly bummed they havent given me a 4k 60fps SUPER switch already but i certainly am not underestimating them and thinking they can't do something. I'm frustrated games i want to play like Monster Hunter are only available on switch and run at a poo resolution and 30fps or less. but i do not underestimate the unorthodox brilliance and power of nintendo. There's just simply nothing to talk about right now as far as hardware lol

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Nintendo is killing it no on denies that. Not sure who is underestimating them. I think the confusion comes from the fact that there is less and less crossover between Nintendo players/fans and fans of other systems. Sure tons of PS5/4/Xbox players also own a switch, but i think slowly the player bases are diverging.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think you're referring to some of the mental gymnastics thats played to try and say that Nintendo doesn't compete with the other big 2 players? But thats an opinion thats shared by the few, not the majority.

Shubh_C63

In the modern era, the fact that Nintendo came up with Wii and then Switch, and kept slaying it means nobody should ever take the lightly.

If they ever face worse years, you know a comeback hardware/software is coming.

THE DUCK

I think you're referring to some of the mental gymnastics thats played to try and say that Nintendo doesn't compete with the other big 2 players? But thats an opinion thats shared by the few, not the majority.

It seems odd though that here even has Nintendo on the radar in terms of how it might affect Sony or ms sales. Just talk like 100 million ps5 machines sold is a guarantee regardless of the competition that hasn't even been announced yet......

THE DUCK

Nintendo is killing it no on denies that. Not sure who is underestimating them. I think the confusion comes from the fact that there is less and less crossover between Nintendo players/fans and fans of other systems. Sure tons of PS5/4/Xbox players also own a switch, but i think slowly the player bases are diverging.

Maybe, but what I'm wondering is if instead of diverging, they will intersect more than expected. A sleeping dragon.......ready to take a bite out of sony/ms.

Chukhopops

I think they have the least vocal fan base on GAF so it gives that impression but honestly they are killing it on the market. Considering the Switch has only been out for four years on the market the lineup is incredible both for quantity and quality.

Maybe, but what I'm wondering is if instead of diverging, they will intersect more than expected. A sleeping dragon.......ready to take a bite out of sony/ms.

Because instead of releasing graphically weak looking games at 1080p or less they might be able to do it at 4K instead?

Skifi28

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Even going by this site alone, there's a lot less console wars threads with 10+ pages that involve Nintendo (and these discussions are like 50% of the site's traffic) which leads to the false assumption that they're not being talked about as much, therefore they're irrelevant/ in danger/ underestimated etc.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

On one hand I feel like I'd have had at least one more "special" game since then and I definitely haven't played it in months now, but then this year just started so theres still plenty of time left to announce some bangers. I'm a terrible consumer in that if BotW 2 comes out and meets or exceeds my expectations I actually won't care about there being any more AAA games for a year at least, since I'll play it for 400+ hours and that;ll take up half a year or more.

Kilau

Gold Member
DLSS is great and I use it whenever I can but it's not magic, there are tradeoffs and we still don't know what exactly nvidia is going to come up with.

OrtizTwelve

Added for clarification a bit later:

Nintendo is doing very, very well. Sales of their switch console and games are strong, and there aren't any signs of waning interest or slowing sales. Nintendo isn't competing against XBOX or PlayStation, they're doing their own thing as they always have.

I suspect they will release their "new" Switch this year with upgraded specs and a few games to go with it that show the "power".

THE DUCK

Nintendo is doing very, very well. Sales of their switch console and games are strong, and there aren't any signs of waning interest or slowing sales. Nintendo isn't competing against XBOX or PlayStation, they're doing their own thing as they always have.

I suspect they will release their "new" Switch this year with upgraded specs and a few games to go with it that show the "power".

I do agree that Nintendo is doing there own thing in what probably should be described as the portable market. Just thinking they may nudge more into the tv/console space this gen more than expected, certain that has to be one of thier goals with the upgraded switch.

OrtizTwelve

I do agree that Nintendo is doing there own thing in what probably should be described as the portable market. Just thinking they may nudge more into the tv/console space this gen more than expected, certain that has to be one of thier goals with the upgraded switch.
I think they're going to milk their current model of a hybrid console for a long time, it works fine. They'll just have different iterations and names for it for the next few years.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's always nice when the first post reflects the consensus, but it feels a bit lame to not provide any context to your answer, after someone creates a new thread, carefully worded and backed up with explanation points. It reminds me too closely of that period of time when everyone was anxious to post "first" on any comment reply thread.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It's always nice when the first post reflects the consensus, but it feels a bit lame to not provide any context to your answer, after someone creates a new thread, carefully worded and backed up with explanation points. It reminds me too closely of that period of time when everyone was anxious to post "first" on any comment reply thread.
+1

Derktron

Banned
They are doing just fine, look at the sale figures, they are selling the Switch like hotcakes and have them games.

Are you serious? A sleeping dragon in the video game industry is NINTENDO??

Yeah, who is this no-name company making video games now. I never heard of them.

I'm guessing OP is pretty young.

SegaShack

So the trend with Nintendo at least since the Wii/DS days has been to make tons of first party games upfront and then if the system does well, collect money from sales of 3rd party games.

With Gamecube and Wii U they were constantly making new games as a way to hopefully attract buyers. Once Wii and DS had a huge install base they just stopped caring. I see the same with Switch.

It's a smart business move.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
BOTW2 is coming. Either later this year or next year. It's gonna do well. Hell, I'd be surprised if they don't have a new Mario or Mario Kart ready to go too alongside at least a preview of a new Metroid.

Nintendo is the silent giant that fanboys too faithful to Sony/MSFT are ignoring, which I'm sure Nintendo doesn't really give a shit about as they are doing monster numbers.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Fbh

Underestimated how?
No one is doubting the Switch is killing it in sales and I think no one doubts the Switch Pro or whatever it ends up being will sell really well.

I doubt it will be a proper next gen machine though, even with DLSS. Even if it just needs to run games at 1080p, it would have to be as strong as a Series S, except 10X smaller, keeping a decent battery life, not being too expensive and following the profit focused approach of Nintendo (they won't sell at a loss).

I'd expect the Switch pro to run exclusives nicer, offering a substantial image quality improvement specially in docked mode and probably packing enough hardware to handle (overpriced) Ps4/X1 ports better.
But I doubt it will function as proper "next gen" alternative to anyone hoping to play the big next gen games. So I think things will mostly stay as they are now, switch will continue selling gangbusters, it will have a dedicated audience as well as many people with Ps5/Series XS/PC that have it as a secondary console for the exclusives and portability.

I like the fact my gf has a Switch Lite so that I can use it every once in awhile. I could never use it as my main console though. The games just aren't there for me yet. Probably has a lot to do with the fact I don't like Zelda games and haven't enjoyed a Mario game since 3D Land on the 3DS.

cireza

Banned
I don't think that they are being underestimated. Nintendo is a company that has been doing the exact same thing for 30 years.

Release new hardware, release new iterations of each of the same series, profit.
Milk to death. Repeat when sales start declining.

We are simply getting close to a new hardware + new iterations of the series, that's all. Don't expect anything more from them.

Last edited:

mxbison

I got my Switch December 2019 and there wasn't a single game release since then that I cared about.

I know people like Animal Crossing and Mario Remaster #34 but for me personally it's been quite the disappointment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom