• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally got a GPU, what do I do now?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It took 6 months, but we got em boys.

I picked up an EVGA FTW ULTRA 3080 from Microcenter yesterday. I can't say I was as much happy as I just was relieved that this shitshow was over. Got home, cleaned my entire setup, popped it in. Redownloaded Cyberpunk and man it looks nice...but then I started to realize I'm kinda done with the game until DLC comes out. I may try another playthrough, who knows.

Anyway, I been sitting here since this morning trying to figure out games to play or other things maybe even non gaming related that I can do with the new tech. I'm looking for suggestions, maybe testimonials of things you've done with your latest tech.

To hopefully narrow the options, here's some things I have done.

- I have downloaded NVidia Broadcast. El Gato was nice enough to provide me with a Wave 3 mic setup and using the Wavelink software with Nvidia's noise cancelling software works really well.

- I have run Heaven Benchmarks, tested overclocking potential on the card.

- Tested out Raytracing in Warzone and Cyberpunk...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I picked up an EVGA FTW ULTRA 3080 from Microcenter yesterday. I can't say I was as much happy as I just was relieved that this shitshow was over. Got home, cleaned my entire setup, popped it in. Redownloaded Cyberpunk and man it looks nice...but then I started to realize I'm kinda done with the game until DLC comes out. I may try another playthrough, who knows.

Anyway, I been sitting here since this morning trying to figure out games to play or other things maybe even non gaming related that I can do with the new tech. I'm looking for suggestions, maybe testimonials of things you've done with your latest tech.

- I have downloaded NVidia Broadcast. El Gato was nice enough to provide me with a Wave 3 mic setup and using the Wavelink software with Nvidia,s noise cancelling software works really well.

- I have run Heaven Benchmarks, tested overclocking potential on the card. I

Download Afterburner and create a custom fan curve 👍

Kuranghi

First thing: Stop what you are doing right now and go out and buy a good surge protector for the PC. Imagine if it just gets fried through no fault of your own in this price climate :messenger_grimmacing_

There are so many games that would sing on it, what do you like playing? Since you mentioned Warzone I'd give the Modern Warfare remaster a go, that probably looks amazing at 4K60.

When I get a new card I always try, Batman Arkham Knight, AC:Unity and Max Payne 3 on it first. I think you can actually get locked 60 at 4K + max settings in Unity and Arkham Knight with that card. Max Payne 3 you could maybe do 8K if you turn down tesselation a bit and turn off MSAA.

Last edited:

Phase

List of games I've played since making my new build:

Division 2
Unreal Tournament
Butcher
Onimusha Warlords
Vanquish
a Kirby game

lol there just isn't much out there at the moment. We'll get some good games that push the hardware... eventually.

S0ULZB0URNE

I got afterburner, I'm not really familiar on how to create a custom fan curve. Is it just preference? I usually keep it on auto. I'm assuming the advantages is customizing the ambient sound from the card?
Yes you can reduce fan noise.
I personally set my curve higher to push my cards/cooling but it increases noise but that's not a issue for me :)

Armorian

Banned

what do I do now?​

- You start mining on that this boy and get your money back at some point :messenger_tears_of_joy:

For gaming, try out all those games you were never able to max out before and if you have 1080p (maybe even 1440?) screen, try playing some games with 4x DSR - Amazing experience, it's like playing Ubisoft bullshots :messenger_winking:

UwnJVmtK_o.png
L8AXn0Ad_o.png
llOY4tXs_o.png
BioShockInfiniteScre.png

Jigsaah

Gold Member
- You start mining on that this boy and get your money back at some point :messenger_tears_of_joy:

For gaming, try out all those games you were never able to max out before and if you have 1080p (maybe even 1440?) screen, try playing some games with 4x DSR - Amazing experience, it's like playing Ubisoft bullshots :messenger_winking:
Very nice suggestion I look it up on Nvidia. Seems they got a list of games that support DSR. Really appreciate it!

//DEVIL//

Honestly? probably nothing. I sometimes think buying my 6900xt was a mistake. There are really no games to support these awesome cards aside from a couple of games.

Most other games worked fine on a 1080ti even.

By the time the next-gen games come in 2022, a new card will be in the market.

But the way I see it, seeing how the difference was 500$ Canadian only between buying the 6900xt at MSRP price and selling my 1080ti... I can't really complain.

Danknugz

I got afterburner, I'm not really familiar on how to create a custom fan curve. Is it just preference? I usually keep it on auto. I'm assuming the advantages is customizing the ambient sound from the card?
I’ve found that by default Nvidia card tend not to turn on the fans until the gpu temp reaches upwards of 80 or even 90c so I like to have the fans turn on earlier to keep the temps down (the curve is for lowe fan speed at lower temps and increasing as the temp rises)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So I can mine just using my setup as is? I just need the program?

EDIT: Found This. Thoughts?

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

llOY4tXs_o.png

Which game is this?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
So I can mine just using my setup as is? I just need the program?

EDIT: Found This. Thoughts?

Read in the comments that you will actually need to buy 50000ADA at least (costing $50000) and will give a return of $2k per year, about 4% return. Not that great and a big investment.

Armorian

Banned
Very nice suggestion I look it up on Nvidia. Seems they got a list of games that support DSR. Really appreciate it!

Almost every game supports and if it doesn't (some bullshit borderless fullscreen only) you can set your desktop resolution to 4x (5120x2160 for me) before launching and it should work

Looks like Nioh 2. I'm downloading it now, just based on this photo :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And it was before DLSS update! I was brute forcing it, with DLSS you can still use DSR and game is much lighter to render (plus has better AA compared to vanilla)

PC gaming is weak as fuck nowadays.

It beats console gaming in almost every aspect. IF you can buy the hardware...

Edit:

You can play some PS3 games in super high resolutions

xzBbvwa6_o.png

and more DSR magic:

oFS4a4EK_o.png
txtLtLiG_o.png
XVjOAX0g_o.png

Last edited:

- I have downloaded NVidia Broadcast. El Gato was nice enough to provide me with a Wave 3 mic setup and using the Wavelink software with Nvidia's noise cancelling software works really well.

- I have run Heaven Benchmarks, tested overclocking potential on the card.

quake 2. you'll thank me later

Denton

Witcher 3, Kingdom Come, RDR2 in 4K DSR if you haven't played those
Days Gone in a month
AC Valhalla looks pretty gorgeous (and is fun, although bloated)
Control is a great RT showcase, best one next to Cyberpunk
Mafia Remake is beautiful
Deliver us the Moon is a great RT supporting scifi
Metro Exodus and expansions are must play
Quake 2 RTX is a killer

Google undervolting guide for the rtx 3080. You can reduce power consumption and thermals by quite a bit while losing virtually no performance (you can go more aggressive with the undervolt and lose 1-5% of performance and lower power draw by TONs but I usually settle on something moderate that preserves performance with no downside). In my Lian Li Mesh 2, the rtx 3080 Asus Tuf rarely exceeded 60 F, maxing out at like 62. This is with my 9700k cooled by a prodigious noctua cooler, keeping case temps even lower.

Step 2 get a Gsync compatible screen.

oh and downvolt to enjoy nearly inaudible pc, but without losing any performance. [i have mine set to 0,9v and fan at 35%, it's so whisper quiet. Some cards can go as low as 0,85v and still maintain decent clocks without crashing]

Gargauth

First thing: Stop what you are doing right now and go out and buy a good surge protector for the PC. Imagine if it just gets fried through no fault of your own in this price climate :messenger_grimmacing_

There are so many games that would sing on it, what do you like playing? Since you mentioned Warzone I'd give the Modern Warfare remaster a go, that probably looks amazing at 4K60.

When I get a new card I always try, Batman Arkham Knight, AC:Unity and Max Payne 3 on it first. I think you can actually get locked 60 at 4K + max settings in Unity and Arkham Knight with that card. Max Payne 3 you could maybe do 8K if you turn down tesselation a bit and turn off MSAA.
I'm not electrotechnician but from what I read over the years on the internet (and I don't mean random comments on the internet, but actual articles), surge protector can actually cause more damage than no protector at all. If I got it right there are same/better components in PSU itself, that are suppose to protect against voltage spikes. But the problem is they are not supposed to be connected serially. Likewise if you read surge protectors instructions they are explicitly stating you should not connect two surge protectors together.

It would be better idea to spend more money on a good UPS rather than just normal surge protector.

Gargauth

Step 2 get a Gsync compatible screen.

oh and downvolt to enjoy nearly inaudible pc, but without losing any performance. [i have mine set to 0,9v and fan at 35%, it's so whisper quiet. Some cards can go as low as 0,85v and still maintain decent clocks without crashing]
Good suggestion! :) I have mine undervolted also. Mine can do 1905MHz @ 0.875V. What's your clock at 0.9V?

Good suggestion! :) I have mine undervolted also. Mine can do 1905MHz @ 0.875V. What's your clock at 0.9V?

It's still at 1,920 minimum on max in game load.

I posted my Timespy bench results in this thread. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nvidia-rtx-30xx-ot.1563871/page-116#post-262075575

This Is the Way !

Looks like you've got yourself a nice clocker. I had to set mine to 1905 [MSi Gaming X] in order to just pass the test @0.850v, though during the test it was locked to 1920 all the way. Stock bios settings seem to be seriously bad and everytime board gets anywhere near 345-350W core frequency takes a dive.

Timespy Gfx scoreGfx 1 (fps)Gfx 2Clock maxClock avgfrequent drops toMemoryPower W
Stock @1,068 V17,745117.22100.561965~19201860stock~345
Undervolt @0.850 V18,212120.45103.09192019201920 [locked]+1175~295
Oced(?) @0.918 V18,695123.48105.962010~19651965+1175~340

nerdface

Banned
“Anyway, I been sitting here since this morning trying to figure out games to play”

so you bought something you didn’t need?

we’re so different...I only buy hardware when I have to in order to play something

Top Bottom