• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally got a GPU, what do I do now?

- You start mining on that this boy and get your money back at some point :messenger_tears_of_joy:

For gaming, try out all those games you were never able to max out before and if you have 1080p (maybe even 1440?) screen, try playing some games with 4x DSR - Amazing experience, it's like playing Ubisoft bullshots :messenger_winking:

UwnJVmtK_o.png
L8AXn0Ad_o.png
llOY4tXs_o.png
BioShockInfiniteScre.png
Agree with thr 2nd part but the mining is the surest way to kill a card. Excessive use with no stop will kill it. If it dies have fun waiting months for a replacement. Somehow I doubt the companies have Blackstock to fix thr cards.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Read in the comments that you will actually need to buy 50000ADA at least (costing $50000) and will give a return of $2k per year, about 4% return. Not that great and a big investment.
Oh noooo, I don't have that kinda money

Armorian

Banned
Agree with thr 2nd part but the mining is the surest way to kill a card. Excessive use with no stop will kill it. If it dies have fun waiting months for a replacement. Somehow I doubt the companies have Blackstock to fix thr cards.

It won't, you just set low power (and voltage) limit and keep temps in check

FGaKxmH.png
ym3I9Uv.png

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I mean, I hope peoples who invest so much and go through the pain of finding a 3080, at least have monitors that go beyond freaking 60 fps? You would know what to do with it if you tried to push for 120/144Hz

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Grats OP. I know the first thing I'd do is launch my Xbox app and get to Game Pass'n - see what's what when things are cranked to the max and 4k.

*cries in RTX 2080 Super*

Iced Arcade

Now you go into console threads and call everyone peasents while never playing a games.

Lol I'd use it to mine to be honest.

TransTrender

Gold Member
What does fan curve and undervolt do?
A fan curve adjust the speed of the fans based on the temperature of the GPU. I think most out of the box fan profiles keep the fans relatively slow until you start hitting temperatures around 80 C and then they crank them really high. This means your video card is relatively quiet for about a minute or two while you're playing a game and then it gets really loud really quickly. What I typically do is keep the fans more aggressive at lower temperatures but are still relatively quiet and will only get into loud territory when the temperatures require it. Overall it means a more consistent and lower noise profile from your card. Also I use the aggressive fan settings to make sure the GPU isn't spending most of it's life sitting at the maximum temperature. Otherwise it means a lot more stress on all of the components which could eventually lead to a hardware failure because you're sitting at the maximum rated temperature all the time.

Undervolting is when you use software like After Burner or Precision X to adjust the maximum core voltages to be lower then how they are set by Nvidia. The 30 series GPUs run really aggressive core voltages to compensate, which I'm assuming, for yield issues. For these cards it basically means a lot of them are running higher core voltages than they really need for the silicon to operate correctly but as a manufacturer you need a one-size-fits-all, for the most part since there are still active PVT adjustments I'm assuming happening all the time, to make sure every chip they sell works as expected as per datasheet. Especially for the 30 series gpus you can save a lot of power by undervolting the core but also you can still maintain higher than out of the box frequencies because you're consuming less power in generating less heat. I have a 3090 and it is just silly how sensitive the clocks are to temperature changes.

That's the 10000 foot veiw explanation, but don't mind me I'm drunk.

Last edited:

Azzurri

A fan curve basically helps with fan speed.

Out of the box fans are at 0% since they're not doing any work, but when you play a game the fans go full blast and repeats that every few mins.

To stop that you create a curve. The way I have it with my 3090 ftw3 ultra is between0-50c my fan is at 30% speed at 70c it goes to 70% and at 90c it's at 90% speed, this way you get a constant cooling and you fans never ramp up to a 100% and sound like a plane taking off and the temps don't go over 73c even under heavy load.

Right now, even when I playing any game my temp never go about 72c and the fans are pretty quite even at 72c. Right now at idle my GPU temp is under 30c, with no fan curve you'll see it at like 50-60c since your fans are not doing anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom