• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I find it baffling that in 2021 "next gen" consoles and new motherboards still mostly ship with a 1Gb/s Ethernet port

Boss Mog

I'd expect the standard to be 2.5Gb/s in 2021. I know not everybody has great internet but a lot of people do (Europe and East Asia mostly) and they can't even take advantage of it a lot of the time. My max internet download speed is 5Gb/s (though it's capped at 2.5Gb/s per connection) and speeds go up to 10Gb/s (with no per connection cap) where I live but all my ethernet ports on my devices are 1Gb/s max so I don't even experience the max ever.

For PC you can buy a PCI-E LAN cards but they're not cheap with 2.5Gb/s for about $30 and 10Gb/s for about $100. Even when looking at new motherboards, the vast majority still use 1Gb/s ports. Only some of the premium ones have a 2.5Gb/s port. I'm thinking of building a new PC with Zen 4 next year and I'm hoping I won't have to shell out $300+ for a motherboard that has 2.5Gb/S ethernet port. Also we're supposed to be keeping these new consoles we just got until 2027 and they're limited to 1Gb/s as well, this in an age where they're pushing for all digital and streaming.

Gigabit LAN became a standard in 1998 it's crazy that more than 20 years later most equipment still uses it despite the fact that our internet speeds go far beyond that now. Am I making too much of this or am I making sense GAF?

Relativ9

Tbh, we're at a point of diminishing returns for consumer-grade networking technology. While yes 2.5 is great (especially for those of us that run home cloud solutions) most people just don't notice the difference since their 4k netflix movie buffers immediately anyway.

Boss Mog

Tbh, we're at a point of diminishing returns for consumer-grade networking technology. While yes 2.5 is great (especially for those of us that run home cloud solutions) most people just don't notice the difference since their 4k netflix movie buffers immediately anyway.
There's truth to that but for a family that streams different things at the same time or downloads while streaming, having that extra bandwidth is nice, especially if you're paying for it. Heck even if you're downloading a 100GB game and doing nothing else it'd be nice to have it finish in a third of the time.

EDIT: Actually that first scenario the various devices all having a 1Gb/s LAN port is irrelevant and having a faster one wouldn't make a difference, only the max total bandwidth matters, don't know why I said that. But in the second scenario for sure it would make a difference.

Last edited:
How many isp offer higher than gig to homes? It’s nowhere near ubiquitous enough to justify the cost of adding higher perf interfaces on every console.

I’d rather they put the cost to higher perf GPU’s. The model is to incrementally put out “+” models on a ~3 year basis anyway.

Consoles are designed down to the last penny and with the scale we are talking about, millions of consoles, everything is a cost vs use trade off. The cost of more than a 1gb/s port is not worth it given the percentage of the user base that would be able to use it and the dubiousness of its real value.

gV5kx31.jpg

me...who is getting 100mb/s on a good day

nkarafo

Are there even any 'none business' internet providers that provide higher than 1gb/sec now?. And even then what percentage of people even have 1GB/sec?, 5%?
Is 1GB/sec even possible? Most SSDs can write at half that speed. The fastest HDDs are 5 times slower than that. How can one d/l at that speed without the HDD/SSD bottlenecking?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Are there even any 'none business' internet providers that provide higher than 1gb/sec now?. And even then what percentage of people even have 1GB/sec?, 5%?
Far less. Speeds have increased in parts of the world, particularly Western civilized countries, but we're nowhere near needing 1GBps for most consumer-grade activities. 4k video can be reliably streamed with around 25Mbps internet connection.

Also, consumer networking usage have been consistently trending toward Wireless for about 10 years now, which is why for example PS5 supports higher 802.11 standards. Like it or not, wired networking is slowly moving out of homes/apartments and most SOHO environments. Obviously it's still needed and preferred in enterprise environments and for internet backbone and connection autonomous systems etc but this isn't 1991 when everyone was plugged directly into a modem.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Very few services / servers are going to send you data that fast anyways.

The goal of speed increases on networks is 2-fold:

1) Increase the number of devices that can connect at a good speed
2) Increase what that "good speed" is per-device

Even a single gigabit is beyond what most consider needed for #2, so those speed increases are largely designed to let multiple devices on your network reach a gigabit speed, at most.

Last edited:

Skifi28

There's truth to that but for a family that streams different things at the same time or downloads while streaming, having that extra bandwidth is nice, especially if you're paying for it.
If different family members do different things, then each still has 1Gb to work with. Sounds good to me.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Is 1GB/sec even possible? Most SSDs can write at half that speed. The fastest HDDs are 5 times slower than that. How can one d/l at that speed without the HDD/SSD bottlenecking?
You are getting confused by gigabit vs. gigabyte. A regular SSD can write at 500 megabytes, which is actually 4 gigabit.

Stuart360

Its the old gigabits and gigabytes thing again. 1GB'sec is really around 100mb/sec.
SSD's and even HDD;'s are still fast enough for high speed internet.

EDIT. Someone already explained it.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Perhaps next gen, I can pretty much max my connection from Steam at close to 900Mbps download which is close to the max theoretical your going to get from 1Gbps, but on my XSX I am lucky to get 450Mbps so it's not like it would help there.

Stuart360

I’d kill for 500 mb/s
To be honest, i could upgrade to 1gig right now for only a few pound more than i'm paying, but i'm more than happy with my 150mb connection. It downloads at 1GB a minute, so a 60GB game takes an hour to download, whihc is still quicker than me gettinga bus into the city, going to a store, and getting a bus home. 4k/60 vids and streaming is a dream, etc.

kinjx11

Banned
I have a 1gb speed connection, my PC can benefit from it in download speeds...etc

my PS5 is pure ass when it comes to DL speeds for some weird reason, so 10gb ports are useless on consoles

I'd expect the standard to be 2.5Gb/s in 2021. I know not everybody has great internet but a lot of people do (Europe and East Asia mostly) and they can't even take advantage of it a lot of the time. My max internet download speed is 5Gb/s (though it's capped at 2.5Gb/s per connection) and speeds go up to 10Gb/s (with no per connection cap) where I live but all my ethernet ports on my devices are 1Gb/s max so I don't even experience the max ever.

For PC you can buy a PCI-E LAN cards but they're not cheap with 2.5Gb/s for about $30 and 10Gb/s for about $100. Even when looking at new motherboards, the vast majority still use 1Gb/s ports. Only some of the premium ones have a 2.5Gb/s port. I'm thinking of building a new PC with Zen 4 next year and I'm hoping I won't have to shell out $300+ for a motherboard that has 2.5Gb/S ethernet port. Also we're supposed to be keeping these new consoles we just got until 2027 and they're limited to 1Gb/s as well, this in an age where they're pushing for all digital and streaming.

Gigabit LAN became a standard in 1998 it's crazy that more than 20 years later most equipment still uses it despite the fact that our internet speeds go far beyond that now. Am I making too much of this or am I making sense GAF?
$30 for a PCI-E card isn't cheap? So how much are you paying for your internet?

Doesn't the fact that 2.5Gbps only make an appearance on 'premium' motherboards by your own admission tell you all you need to know? Faster ethernet ports for consoles would have been a significant expense. Remember, these are the same rat bastards who removed the optical port which probably cost them 60 cents a unit once the bean counters saw its usage drop just low enough to where they didn't mind alienating us.

While stuff like Steam saturates my 400mbps downstream bandwidth if I let it, I can't say I've ever seen my Xbox over 200mbps, certainly not sustained over any time period. And PSN has always been worse. My PC has 2.5Gbps, I think my router has a 10Gbps port alongside its gigabit Internet port, but only gigabit on the LAN side. Premium router from maybe 5 years back now, I don't think 2.5gbps was even a thing then. Shouldn't you be crucifying your ISP for giving you equipment that gives you 5gbps but only 2.5gbps? But yeah, 10 gig ports are expensive, and your devices don't support it. Maybe a little bit of chicken and the egg but there you are.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And that he thinks 30 bucks is expensive for an add-in card if it's that important to him.
OP asked a question that should be obvious what the answer is. Almost nobody has internet remotely capable of taking advantage of those speeds. Heck almost nobody has internet capable of taking advantage of 1GBps. I'm one of the few who has AT&T fiber

Jigga117

I have a 1gb speed connection, my PC can benefit from it in download speeds...etc

my PS5 is pure ass when it comes to DL speeds for some weird reason, so 10gb ports are useless on consoles
Because it is based on your connection and path for the servers with PSN. It is the same for everyone depending on distance and path to the server. The same person above saying they see up to 450mbps yet on my Series X I have had doenloads as high as 865mbps. Has nothing to do with the consoles or devices and everything to do with your physical connect and where your connecting to.
I have 1200gbps with Xfinity

Last edited:

Ailike

My area -just- started getting 1GBps, and Im in an upper middle class suburb. I'd love to know what fantasy land OP is in that he thinks anything higher is commonplace. People could shell out for 2 connections and dual WAN, but as has been said above.... what would even benefit?

jakinov

Even in terms of large downloads, faster internet use to help prevent you from waiting days or several hours but from 1 Gbps you are probbaly only saving on seconds or just minutes for a very large game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Because we all know that the servers would handle that... x10mil downloads of fucking Fortnite patch at 2.5Gb/s

ShadowLag

Let's not forget that the ethernet port is not just for your Internet connection, but communication with other devices on your local network (LAN etc). Higher speeds would benefit your own private networks too, so yeah, it would be nice if we could juice up the ethernet ports. Routers will have to keep up as well.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I doubt there's a single person in this thread, who actually has network equipment capable of running more than 1 Gbit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Let's not forget that the ethernet port is not just for your Internet connection, but communication with other devices on your local network (LAN etc). Higher speeds would benefit your own private networks too, so yeah, it would be nice if we could juice up the ethernet ports. Routers will have to keep up as well.
Right. Private Networks are SOOOOOO common in homes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Are you connected to a router right now? You're on a private network.
So how does a 2.5 GB port that is connected directly to my router benefit my home network in any way if my internet connection is limited to 1GBps (and for most people, much less) ? There is never enough communication going on between devices that would come remotely close to saturating even a 1GBps connection, let alone 2.5 GBPs. And its all irrelevant if the bottleneck is the internet itself.

Last edited:

jakinov

Not worth the extra costs, if most of your users can’t take advantage, not much benefit for the people that do if your actual services don’t even let you take advantage of your internet speed.

Gigabit existing since 1998 doesn’t mean much. It just means they had the technology then not that it’s actual practical. It existed mainly for enterprise use cases. As a console manufacturer their goal is to balance cost not shove in technology that won’t be fully utilized by most users. Hypothetically, even if blu-Ray in 2006 was mature, it wouldn’t have been cost-efficient for a wii to have it because of the situation it was in. Yeah some developers can take advantage of it but the system costs would go up and the average game size wasn’t that big.

ShadowLag

So how does a 2.5 GB port that is connected directly to my router benefit my home network in any way if my internet connection is limited to 1GBps (and for most people, much less) ? There is never enough communication going on between devices that would come remotely close to saturating even a 1GBps connection, let alone 2.5 GBPs. And its all irrelevant if the bottleneck is the internet itself.

It's not about the Internet - If you have things like external storage plugged in to your network (especially NAS servers for big mega storage), home media servers to stream videos to all devices in your home, or you're just super bandwidth hungry on a lot of devices at once - it will benefit you. It's more about communication between your personal devices, and having to wait less to send big files across your own computers. No reason why your local data should be hamstrung by your hardware.

There is no reason for a faster ethernet port unless Sony decides to allow us to install games directly to a network drive (which they do not allow)

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's not about the Internet - If you have things like external storage plugged in to your network (especially NAS servers for big mega storage), home media servers to stream videos to all devices in your home, or you're just super bandwidth hungry on a lot of devices at once - it will benefit you. It's more about communication between your personal devices, and having to wait less to send big files across your own computers. No reason why your local data should be hamstrung by your hardware.
Stop right there. You are talking about something that very few people actually have. The point of the OP getting shat on is because he seems oblivious of the fact that he is advocating for increasing the cost of the product to add a feature that almost nobody can take advantage of.

Apparently so are you.

Also, the 2.5 GBps port doesn't benefit those things unless everything is also 2.5 GBps.

TLZ

Banned
My PS5 downloads at 1gb/s. My XSX maxes at 650mb/s, even though when I do a network test on it I get 1gb/s.

ShadowLag

Stop right there. You are talking about something that very few people actually have. The point of the OP getting shat on is because he seems oblivious of the fact that he is advocating for increasing the cost of the product to add a feature that almost nobody can take advantage of.

Apparently so are you.

Also, the 2.5 GBps port doesn't benefit those things unless everything is also 2.5 GBps.

In this thread I was pointing out that the ethernet port is not exclusively used for Internet connections, and thus shouldn't be held back by current average Internet speeds. I didn't see the OP say device costs should increase anywhere either, he is advocating for higher speeds to become the new hardware standard.

As for my point, more people have multiple PCs in their homes than you might think, and they're often taken advantage of to push big amounts of data between them without touching the Internet for a variety of uses. And you're right, every device in the chain needs to be upgraded, including the router which I mentioned already. It'll happen eventually, the same way HDMI ports needed to be upgraded across the board to support crazy new resolutions, speeds, and extra features.

There's no reason to rag on anyone wanting tech standards to improve, because they're going to improve anyway.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In this thread I was pointing out that the ethernet port is not exclusively used for Internet connections, and thus shouldn't be held back by current average Internet speeds. I didn't see the OP say device costs should increase anywhere either, he is advocating for higher speeds to become the new standard tier.

As for my point, more people have multiple PCs in their homes than you might think, and they're often taken advantage of to push big amounts of data between them without touching the Internet for a variety of uses. And you're right, every device in the chain needs to be upgraded, including the router which I mentioned already. It'll happen eventually, the same way HDMI ports needed to be upgraded across the board to support crazy new resolutions, speeds, and extra features.

There's no reason to rag on anyone wanting tech standards to improve, because they're going to improve anyway.
When you're asking me to pay more for a feature that almost nobody can take advantage of, I have a problem with it. Thankfully most people in this thread see the issue.

If we reach a place where internet speeds can exceed more than 1GBps then Ill advocate for higher speed ethernet ports on motherboards. Until then, it is a pointless addition that adds build cost to the motherboard, which gets passed onto consumers.

Apparently so are you.

This. I don’t know what media he is streaming that needs more than 1gbit. Good 4k bitrate is still sub 100mbit.

It’s absolutely absurd to scoff at more than 1gbit not being standard by now. If you are lucky enough to have that, pay a bit more for a better pci card and move on with your life.

RaZoR No1

OP is just flexing with his/her/its internet connection /s

Here I cannot even download over 500mbits, because none of the servers here

Top Bottom