• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I find it baffling that in 2021 "next gen" consoles and new motherboards still mostly ship with a 1Gb/s Ethernet port

ShadowLag

When you're asking me to pay more for a feature that almost nobody can take advantage of, I have a problem with it. Thankfully most people in this thread see the issue.

If we reach a place where internet speeds can exceed more than 1GBps then Ill advocate for higher speed ethernet ports on motherboards. Until then, it is a pointless addition that adds build cost to the motherboard, which gets passed onto consumers.

I'm not asking you to pay a higher price for anything, nor is the OP. The goal is that the more capable hardware becomes the new standard and costs exactly the same.

Here's a specific example of why you'd want network speeds to be faster all the time: I have a gaming PC and my wife has one too. Let's say she wants to play Warzone with me but it's not installed on her PC. We could wait for her to download it (slowest possible option by far), or I could just send the whole damn game folder directly to her PC from mine. That game is over 100 gigs - do I want to wait 45 minutes to an hour copying a folder over my LAN, or do I want to wait 10-20 minutes or even less? This is what I'm talking about.

Maybe I want to make a complete backup of my PC with all my media and important work, then send it to another machine, possibly an external drive? "Sorry, Comcast doesn't have multi-gigabit Internet in your area, so we don't make affordable hardware that can copy your local files in under 3 hours and never will" is not the right answer.

These are not hypothetical examples btw, I deal with those situations a lot because I'm in a multi-PC gaming and programming household and know how to leverage their strengths - which again, I don't believe is a rare situation at all.

I realize I'm getting pretty far off from the console-based origins of this thread, but we've been able to transfer data to/from our consoles on a local network since the PS3 - there's no reason they shouldn't get some love too, being more and more like mini-PCs these days.

Last edited:
Well, I find it okay since am paying 45$ for 300kb/s internet.

Fuck this country.
oh i hear you bother! high speed data infrastructure my ass!

GjNWlL1.jpg

Sygma

I'd expect the standard to be 2.5Gb/s in 2021. I know not everybody has great internet but a lot of people do (Europe and East Asia mostly) and they can't even take advantage of it a lot of the time. My max internet download speed is 5Gb/s (though it's capped at 2.5Gb/s per connection) and speeds go up to 10Gb/s (with no per connection cap) where I live but all my ethernet ports on my devices are 1Gb/s max so I don't even experience the max ever.

For PC you can buy a PCI-E LAN cards but they're not cheap with 2.5Gb/s for about $30 and 10Gb/s for about $100. Even when looking at new motherboards, the vast majority still use 1Gb/s ports. Only some of the premium ones have a 2.5Gb/s port. I'm thinking of building a new PC with Zen 4 next year and I'm hoping I won't have to shell out $300+ for a motherboard that has 2.5Gb/S ethernet port. Also we're supposed to be keeping these new consoles we just got until 2027 and they're limited to 1Gb/s as well, this in an age where they're pushing for all digital and streaming.

Gigabit LAN became a standard in 1998 it's crazy that more than 20 years later most equipment still uses it despite the fact that our internet speeds go far beyond that now. Am I making too much of this or am I making sense GAF?

You can get up to 2000 mbps+ download speed on pc pretty easily with connectify dispatch

You'll need 2 ethernet ports tho. Put the interface selection in round robin and if your box can deliver 2.5gbps+, you're set

OP what router/switch do you have?

Most consumer hardware doesn't have beyond 1 gig since nearly nobody has an internal network beyond 1 gig. In fact, other than core switches and some server/san stuff etc. nearly none of the corporate clients I have supported have beyond 1 gig for their regular network. The one that all the regular folks are on with their workstations, even if the switch supports 10 gig, are always 1 gig, not counting some special circumstances. We are a long ways off from that not being the case for the home.

Sophist

Is 1GB/sec even possible? Most SSDs can write at half that speed. The fastest HDDs are 5 times slower than that. How can one d/l at that speed without the HDD/SSD bottlenecking?
i saw a benchmark of 4 SSDs configured as RAID0 and the writing speed was around 14gbps.
ddr4 3200 has a bandwith of ~45gbps.

Dream-Knife

Banned
My internet went from 100gb/s to 220 gb/s this year and I haven't noticed a thing. Stuff still downloads as fast as it did previously. I'm not really impressed by faster internet anymore.

I've only used an Ethernet port once in my life after 2009, most devices since then have wifi only or for those that aren't most stores nearby don't carry cables. The ones that do carry them they are pretty expensive.

ZoukGalaxy

I find it baffling that you think that anyone thinks a more expensive object on the motherboard that would benefit less than 1% of internet users is a good cost to add to the product.
This.

Your internet is VERY far to be the norm for 99,9% of people of the world.
That would be baffling and ridiculous to get an 10GB port on a console increasing price for nothing.
Also, even if your line is 10GB, that's does not mean that server will be able to send data at this speed, not even talking about write speed of local storage.
Total waste for our age for console.

Brofist

Probably not necessary on consoles. Should be standard on at least midrange motherboards though. As is you have to go to high end to get the feature.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wouldn't pay extra for that feature. My 1GB lan is hooked up to 100mbit FIOS. Why pay more for bandwidth I don't need or Hardware I don't need? I need every penny to afford the overpowered GPU and CPU I hardly use.

Relativ9

It's not about the Internet - If you have things like external storage plugged in to your network (especially NAS servers for big mega storage), home media servers to stream videos to all devices in your home, or you're just super bandwidth hungry on a lot of devices at once - it will benefit you. It's more about communication between your personal devices, and having to wait less to send big files across your own computers. No reason why your local data should be hamstrung by your hardware.

People who need NAS for the local network utilities are usually things like video editors and photographers, in such a case they'll have a mac or PC with a 2.5 port, and the NAS itself with a 2.5GbE linked to a switch with a 2.5GbE port. We're talking many thousands of dollars for that equipment in total, those people usually couldn't give a shit if their console also has it, as so many have pointed out, you won't be getting real world speeds from PSN or Xbox live that can utilize it, and streaming of 4k content works fine in 1gb ports anyway. I have a home server myself that serves partly as a NAS but as I am not a video producer, I use it mostly for cloud related tasks, meaning I care about the upload speed since I access all my pictures, video, ect from things like my phone or smart TV over wifi and/or 4g...so 2.5GbE would be useless for me, despite me sharing over 42TB of files on my NAS.

So there is a very small group of people, usually professionals, who would actually get any use of 2.5GbE ports in todays market. NOW at some point we will have the bandwidth need and underlying infrastructure in place for it to make sense to have 2.5 be mainstream and standard, but at that point 10GbE will be the new enthusiast/enterprise "thing to have" and someone will be like "it's insane that in 2030 Playstation 6 and Xbox Cherry 420 only has a mesely 2.5GbE port, why isn't 10GbE standard?"...if you are one of the few that actually needs 2.5GbE then great, there are plenty of enthusiast motherboards and switches available with that, but with 1GbE consoles can cost less, which means more people will buy them, which means the potential market is larger, which means more games will be made...and I like games.

Top Bottom