• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found a vagina in Watch Dogs 2 and Sony suspended me (Update: Ban lifted)

RocknRola

I mean, I'm just curious as to why they'd go this far. Most games don't. Unless the sex minigames are like uber realistic in this game hehe :p

eso76

Quite broad.

TOS said:
Do not share anything that is vulgar or use community features to harm or alarm anyone;
Do not share anything that is defamatory or offensive (including anything racially, ethnically, religiously or sexually offensive);

i am not seeing how nudity falls into either though

Mar Nosso

Banned
As always, loving the hypocrites criticising nudism in gaming, while being fully comfortable with ripped apart limbs, lethal gunshots and a plethora of other violent visual elements and suggestions.

zoukka

As always, loving the hypocrites criticising nudism in gaming, while being fully comfortable with ripped apart limbs, lethal gunshots and a plethora of other violent visual elements and suggestions.

I don't need to write you a disclaimer of everything I already don't approve of before being able to criticize something in video games.

Kinyou

I wonder whether Sony banned anyone who shared a screenshot of the penis that was in The Order 1886. Would be pretty bad double standards if they didn't. .
Wonder that as well. However, ready at dawn also build in some safe guard to dis-encourage it. Whenever you activate the photomode all nude/halfnude characters disappear. Kind of funny.

Koobion

Wasn't interested in this game until now. Ubisoft has balls for doing this, so I will support them by purchasing this vagina ridden game. More games need crotch.

Excellent question.

I think so, as IF things worked like that and as intended then Sony could wipe their hands clean of the issue and just tell those complainers to set up their machines correctly.

If it doesn't filter out things like that then Sony need rethink their parental controls

Not UbiSoft trashing their own game! A mess! Also a mess at Sony for backing up the devil, let the OP live and get back his account!

v7DgWJn.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
In western popular culture, violence is is everywhere. Explicit nudity is not. (yes it's a double standard)

I am honestly bewildered by this. I guess its a cultural thing.

I can understand if people gets embarassed by it, but getting offended over an unintentional exposure of a sex organ is honestly foreign to me as a non-American.

Sony should have removed the picture, issue a warning and only temporary ban if its a repeated offense. Seems they over reacted with the temporary ban

g11

I was going to comment this, most people "shocked" by this are probably from the US. Everyone else whos commented like its whatever, is probably not. Hell even Germans are more laid back with these things and they have stricter censorship especially with videogames compared to most of the rest of Europe.

As an American, now living in Europe I can confirm that the things that are "controversial" in the US are not controversial whatsoever here.

My guess is even amongst Americans, it's more shock at someone actually having the balls to display genitalia in a game rather than shock at seeing a polygonal vagina. I know when someone first linked me to that tweet with the pic, my reaction was "Woah, I wonder how/if Ubisoft got that past the ESRB" and not "OMG a vagina in a video game, how will I ever explain this to my nonexistent children!"

Porcile

As a team member of the successful vagina hunter mission from the Geist thread all I've got to say is that you need to find out whose vagina that is. You ain't shit otherwise.

It's an utterly bizarre situation that someone can get banned by sharing a piece of content that is legitimately in a game.

That said, both PSN and XBL have very specific TOS's for sharing questionable content, I would imagine that because screenshot sharing isn't age gated, where buying a game is, is the reason why this can happen.
If they care about children seeing unsafe content then don't allow children accounts to se shares of M rated games? Or even block it altogether.

It's stupid to ban someone for posting content they allowed in their platform in the first place.

danowat

Banned
If they care about children seeing unsafe content then don't allow children accounts to se shares of M rated games? Or even block it altogether.

It's stupid to ban someone for posting content they allowed in their platform in the first place.

There is the question of whether restricted accounts can still see shared content from M rated games.

Regardless, it's still against the TOS, even if they can't.

An upskirt shot of crotchless panties definitely fits under "vulgar".

I think the problem more lies in the fact that she's dead. It's just seems weird to be able to gawk at a dead prostitute's vagina, especially in a game where it seems completely uncalled for. That said, I still don't have a problem with it. I just can't believe Ubi had the balls...or clit to do it, unless it was a lone wolf.

But yea the real issue is that Sony suspends accounts like it's going out of style and I'm fucking sick of it.

foxdvd

Sony is weird when it comes to anything they consider R rated. My son has an account on his xbox called mrfigglefart. He came up with it when he was a lot younger, and giggled nonstop about it. When the ps4 came out he registered for the first time with sony, and they would not allow fart in his user name because it said something about being vulgar. That means if you have some form of fart in your username in a way to avoid the censor they could ban your account for violating terms. So lets hope no neogaf users have something like "iEatFAARRTs" as their user name....

1) Pic?
2) Why did you think sharing a pic of female genitalia on PSN would not be a no-no?

I believe the OP originally shared to Twitter via PSShare, which will then hit peoples What's New walls (when it works) so he indirectly shared to PSN whilst sharing to Twitter.

Hoping Ubisoft stick to their guns. Don't really see a need to remove it IMO. It's been fair game to show dick since Dante's Inferno had us battling the Devil's massive schlong. Seems like it should be a thing that works both ways.

Because you posted on... Twitter? Wut? How do they even know it's you? Or was it through the PS4 sharing/twitter connection thing?

Kind of stupid that they'd ban you for this regardless, but at least it's just a week-long ban and not permanent, I guess... :S

Edit: also, being nitpicky, that's a vulva not a vagina ;)

I think all you can accurately see are labia majora, actually.

Seriously though, this is ridiculous. I'm all for artistic integrity in games, and apparently they have penises in the game too, but exactly what purpose does it serve? Kids have plenty of wank bank material without needing vag in their games, which makes it seem like some dev slipped it in for the lulz.

Edit: ok slipping it in pun aside, if all these vids of nudists roaming around are watchdogs too, then the upskirt shot is meaningless. They are in your face with the nudity... Sony just doesnt want it on PS feeds apparently.

Oversight by ESRB maybe, unless this still falls within the M rating.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about it, I remembered the South Park episode "Good times with weapons". I didn't think much of it at the time, but looking back it was completely accurate. Society doesn't care about violence, but it screams in anger whenever a bit of nudity or sex is shown. It's weird.

Occam

No, it's not. The game has an M rating, meaning mature. Its content is not for everyone. I'm glad that there are games with mature content. That doesn't mean I'd subject children to it.

Note that if you use your PlayStation camera to broadcast your penis, they'll ban you, too.

Junahu

I guess it counts under sexually offensive? It's probably not just the nudity, but the unfortunate implications brought on by the person also being dead.

Top Bottom