• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found a vagina in Watch Dogs 2 and Sony suspended me (Update: Ban lifted)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wish they took as much care as Naughty Dog does when it comes to attention to detail. Imagine if their Nate Chest Hair Moving With The Wind technology was applied here.

danowat

Banned
That doesn't change the discussion, we know it's the TOS, I'm saying it's ridiculous and flawed.

Flawed, I agree, ridiculous?, not really, it's pretty black and white, would you show an elderly relative said picture?, I like to think of online TOS as an elderly relative.

What is the discussion, that someone shouldn't have gotten banned to breaching the TOS?

Tovarisc

That doesn't change the discussion, we know it's the TOS, I'm saying it's ridiculous and flawed.

Or at least they should start temp-banning users sharing BF1, CoD, Mortal Kombat finishers etc. footage over share because it's exposing children and teenagers to possibly harmful and mature content.

Flawed, I agree, ridiculous?, not really, it's pretty black and white, would you show an elderly relative said picture?, I like to think of online TOS as an elderly relative.

What is the discussion, that someone shouldn't have gotten banned to breaching the TOS?

Would you show pic / vid of Lincoln blowing out KKK members brains in Mafia 3, provided by PSN Share!, to gramma?

Also I think discussion is somewhat about how moronic it's for Sony to temp-ban over this, but be all okay with absurd amounts of violence being shared.

danowat

Banned
Or at least they should start temp-banning users sharing BF1, CoD, Mortal Kombat finishers etc. footage over share because it's exposing children and teenagers to possibly harmful and mature content.

Would you show pic / vid of Lincoln blowing out KKK members brains in Mafia 3, provided by PSN Share!, to gramma?

Also I think discussion is somewhat about how moronic it's for Sony to temp-ban over this, but be all okay with absurd amounts of violence being shared.

There is definitely a point to answer about people sharing vulgarly violent images, maybe someone needs to reach out to Sony to find out why that's acceptable, and a vag isn't.

Would I show them? Maybe not this particular vagina but I wouldn't be against it. Both my parents are in their late 60s and watch much worse stuff, they're rewatching Deadwood for the 3rd time for example.

I think it's a poor way to essentially moderate something that broad. They should fix it.

Zafir

I don't know why they don't have an option you can tick so the image isn't visibile to people unless they agree to see it. A bit like what happens on youtube I guess where it asks you to sign in if it's a video for "mature" audiences.

If they're allowing such content on their console, and then allowing you to share things from it, it seems a bit much to then start banning people for sharing it. Though I do see why they wouldn't want everyone to see it.

I'm ridiculous now? Well I think it's YOU that is ridiculous sir.

Anyway, it's stupid that Sony are fine with a polygonal vagina being in the game but don't dare let the outside world see that there's a polygonal vagina or what? It's stupid.

Except it's not in the street is it. It's all part of the same service.

Introduce better filtering or an age gate. Suspending people is overkill.

Would you walk around your hour with you cock if your daughter or son was home. Maybe if their grandmother was over to see them. I think that is the issue here. That people who can see this material is not restricted from seeing it. You are basically in Sony's house, and they make the rules.

I think if it was just a picture of of an ass or even full nudity/love scene he wouldn't have been banned. Probably because it was a dead hooker spread eagle with full rendered genitalia was what got OP banned. The pic, although funny to us, was pretty tasteless.

Even in the comments of the tweet there were people asking the OP not to post again like that.

Edit: I am not saying they were right or not to ban. Just stating what their reasoning could have been.

Chao

I mean it's not even anatomically correct, the vagina in the picture looks more like her ass crack.

You can't ban someone because of a badly drawn vagina.

Would you walk around your hour with you cock if your daughter or son was home. Maybe if their grandmother was over to see them. I think that is the issue here. That people who can see this material is not restricted from seeing it. You are basically in Sony's house, and they make the rules.

I think if it was just a picture of of an ass or even full nudity/love scene he wouldn't have been banned. Probably because it was a dead hooker spread eagle with full rendered genitalia was what got OP banned. The pic, although funny to us, was pretty tasteless.

Even in the comments of the tweet there were people asking the OP not to post again like that.

Why do people keep suggesting I walk around with my cock out? :(

(The rumours aren't true)

Greddleok

Why is the vagina fully textured? Why are the panties crotchless?

There is no reason for this to exist other than to titillate.

Crotchless...who knows. I assume the panties are clipping through the body. Not so much a design choice, but I have literally nothing to back that up.

In terms of fully textured, why not? If there are nude beaches in the game, why not have pussy and dick fully textured?

Tovarisc

There is definitely a point to answer about people sharing vulgarly violent images, maybe someone needs to reach out to Sony to find out why that's acceptable, and a vag isn't.

I wonder if regular person like me or you can even reach anyone high enough within Sony to talk about issue like this. Customer Support will just copypasta TOS stuff and you just have wasted your time with rep who has no real answers or means to have needed discussion.

whoszed

There is certainly a disparity between male and female nudity. Penises are shown constantly in shows like Westworld but I've never seen a nude vagina on a TV show like that. Even penises are still extremely rare in AAA video games so this is really weird.

Tovarisc

There is certainly a disparity between male and female nudity. Penises are shown constantly in shows like Westworld but I've never seen a nude vagina on a TV show like that. Even penises are still extremely rare in AAA video games so this is really weird.

Sure you have been watching WestWorld? Because in at least one episode audience sees some vagina to balance off all those penises. Not so in-your-face, but still.

I think the difference between seeing random penis and vagina is that penis is so readily seen in the real world. Dudes sending unsolicited dick pics to girls they don't even know.

whoszed

Sure you have been watching WestWorld? Because in at least one episode audience sees some vagina to balance off all those penises. Not so in-your-face, but still.

Sure they've shown nude ladies (not that unusual) but not the actual vagina really. Unless I've really missed something??

Tovarisc

Sure they've shown nude ladies (not that unusual) but not the actual vagina really. Unless I've really missed something??

Not shots like this from W_D2, but in some of those butcher shop scenes you see quite a bit of female body. They don't focus on it, but you do get... more of an look than in most TV series out there. Game of Thrones also has several scenes over its long run where they show quite a bit of naked woman body and not just breasts. Just like in GoT you see quite a few dicks swinging around, in and out of clothes.

SomTervo

Then Sony should improve their share system, say disable the feature on Mature/AO titles, or add a gate to warn player about screenshots from mature game, or force Ubisoft to issue a censor patch or anything.

That's the crux. The real argument is whether online services should update their systems/ToS's to be more accomodating (and arguably less prescriptive/violence-happy).

Preferably not the censorship patch though.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Update:

I got an email 30 minutes ago telling me that my ban is now 1 month because of a violation today. Bare in mind that I was banned yesterday and have not been able to make any new uploads since the ban and the only thing I'd uploaded in months was the single image this thread is about.

We’re writing to inform you that your Sony Entertainment Network account has been temporarily suspended.

We’ve made this decision based on your online activity in Live from PlayStation on 15-11-2016.

The suspension will last 1 month and will be lifted on 15-12-2016. You won’t be able to access online multiplayer, PlayStation Store and other network features until the suspension is over.

We take the decision to suspend an account very seriously, and we only do so after one of our moderators has carefully analysed the situation. PlayStation Support therefore cannot overturn this moderation decision.

We ask all our players to act decently, respectfully and with consideration for us and other players while using PlayStation Network. To make sure you understand the behaviour we expect from our community, please review the Code of Conduct here before returning to PlayStation Network. Please be aware that any further breaches of the Code of Conduct may result in a longer suspension or even a permanent ban.

Yours sincerely,

SIEE Moderation
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe

I'm really disappointed right now.

mnannola

Update:

I got an email 30 minutes ago telling me that my ban is now 1 month because of a violation today. Bare in mind that I was banned yesterday and have not been able to make any new uploads since the ban and the only thing I'd uploaded in months was the single image this thread is about.

Holy shit. Straight up Darth Vader. Is this retaliation for this post? Now it's time for some game media to do their jobs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Update:

So complaining about Sony on GAF is now ban worthy? Fuck them. Fully clothed, of course, don't want them to get mad.

Update:

1 Month? No way, this cannot stand.

Update:

This is the biggest piece of bullshit of it all. You've not done anything wrong.

As others have echoed, what harm does it in rendering anatomical detail? Penises have shown up before with little fanfare (GTA and The Order immediately come to mind). Vaginas should be the same.

danowat

Banned
Update:

For the same instance of vulgar material?, or for something else?

The walls have eyes..............

Budi

It's kinda fucked up that someone would get banned over this, especially if same rules don't apply to violent content with high age ratings.

I tip my hat to Ubisoft, this is good. I come from a country where it's not odd for people of opposite genders to be nude together in Sauna (or steam room, whatever you crazy yanks call it) without it being sexual. Or taking a swim nude, again with people of both genders together. That being said, I wouldn't do it personally. But nudity is completely normal and people shouldn't be shocked by it.

Tovarisc

Update:

How they can ban you for activity that you had in PSN after you were banned from PSN? How that logic works? First thought was that are they making you pay for making this thread and for Polygon writing about this.

Update:

Holy shit, disappointed is not the word i'd use. Can you ask them how you violated TOS while banned? This sounds petty and vindictive to me. Which gaffer works for Sony PR? It has to be because of this thread or your tweeting about it.

Hope it gets resolved soon and yes it is a stupid decision on Sony's behalf to allow M rated games on the network but not allow M rated sharing unless it's violence and gore. Pathetic really.

Why the hell are all users even able to see shared media from an M-rated game? That's totally Sony's fault. And now they are banning people because of their shitty system? What other content of M-rated games is not allowed to be shared on their platform?

Update:

This is pathetic. Fuck Sony.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Update:

new violation? Or did they re-review your action and decided your punishment was too lenient previously?

Or did they did this because you spread the story and has made them look bad?

This new ban is due to your "activity" on the 15th, according to that email, while your first ban is due to your activity on the 14th. Since you didnt do anything on the 15th in Live from Playstation(not that you can) it doesnt explain why they are banning you for.

You should update ur OP and maybe a mod can update title , wow.

Pathetic. This barely passes for NSFW. In fact, I'm not even sure why my employee should give a shit about whether I (full age) look at vaginas at work or not. Certaily no worse than all the other slacking off I do during my work time.

Update:

Now get back to murdering fake people enmasse in very brutal wayd instead of risking seeing videogame vagina, like a good productive member of society.

Surprised there aren't any restrictions on content sharing from M rated/18+games in the first place.. (or whatever rating wd2 has to get away with including vagazzle in the first place).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Do I need to order this game fast before it gets Hot Coffee'd?

llehuty

They are just being bullies right now. Changing it to one month when they had decided it was a week?

We take the decision to suspend an account very seriously, and we only do so after one of our moderators has carefully analysed the situation. PlayStation Support therefore cannot overturn this moderation decision.

Guess one moderator wasn't careful enough?

What Sony needs to do is to control how can their sharing system be used, instead of this ridiculous witch hunt... Pathetic.

Dec

I think the difference between posting an image of it on your feed and it being in a game Sony are selling is that by buying the game you understand what you are going to see, through the ESRB rating and the bullet list along with it.

People that view your profile where this image has been shared didn't agree to seeing that content.

I think it's good to show genitals

Serving "for educational purposes obviously" tea

B9bwbTl.gif

Lord Phol

1 month ban seems pretty damn extreme for something that's barely anything IMO. A warning and deleting the post should have sufficed in this case.

I think the difference between posting an image of it on your feed and it being in a game Sony are selling is that by buying the game you understand what you are going to see, through the ESRB rating and the bullet list along with it.

People that view your profile where this image has been shared didn't agree to seeing that content.

But where does this stop? Because there are also other reasons why this game was rated M. Will you get banned if you show a scene where someone gets shot in the head? Also, can my 13yo nephew see any of those shared pics/videos from an M-rated game?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Well then Sony can remove it and then issue the warning to him not do to it again, then temporary ban him if he repeat it. Then Sony can amend and implement new measures to this sharing feature (eg age gate when sharing in Mature games)

It leads to another question on whether a person can get punished for sharing screenshot that depicts violence and extreme gore.

Instead he gets a week ban, which has extended into a month ban after this thread got made and polygon picked up the news.

Top Bottom