• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found a vagina in Watch Dogs 2 and Sony suspended me (Update: Ban lifted)

raebodep

Isn't it likely that Ubi patching out the vag is to appease the ESRB? I mean, from what I understand they sort of run on an honor system. Publishers present what content might be considered "objectionable" in a game and it gets rated based on that. If these viewable vaginas were not initially presented to them than maybe they are just covering their own asses so to not end up with a Hot Coffee situation. I mean the idea that violence is okay and sex is bad is not something you can really pin on Ubi or Sony. That's pretty much western/American culture and everybody, from video game developers to movie studios have to play by those backward ass rules.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=34635&Title=Watch+Dogs+2+

The rating says the game has brief instances of male and female full-frontal nudity.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like the running assumption that the ESRB and PEGI were unaware of vagina and penis in WD2 as if it'd somehow make it okay for Sony to suspend op. (Though it really wouldn't)

I guess Sony-Chan can do nothing wrong =^.^=

I don't know how many more times this needs to be said in the same thread.

The game is rated properly.

But let's blame Ubi anyway!

Dont-hear.jpg

N.Grim

Long story short, you shouldn't have shared it publicly.

Share it privately fine, but either way you broke the rules of conduct.

I'm sure they will look at this issue on Ubisoft's end as well, that's kind of stupid of them.
We all understand this, the ban and the extension are ridiculous

Rellik

I like the running assumption that the rare and pegi were unaware of vagina and penis in WD2 as if it'd somehow make it okay for Sony to suspend op.

I guess Sony-Chan can do nothing wrong =^.^=

Plus the bullshit extension for no reason at all. I'd be surprised if OP stays on a PS4 after this. If it was me then the PS4 would have gone out the window.

jax

Banned
Plus the bullshit extension for no reason at all. I'd be surprised if OP stays on a PS4 after this. If it was me then the PS4 would have gone out the window.

yeah if this happened to me I would happily switch to Xbox. Besides P4 there would be nothing keeping me on blue side.

This dude paid monthly for PSN and is now banned from a service he paid for. Not only that, but Sony saw this post and extended the ban, with not a word of communication to OP.. insanity.

OP, they might just be banning you because you were playing the game early? Is that possible?

SystemUser

People in this thread are calling the removal censorship, but the makers of the game (most likely) did not intend for this to be there. This appears to be the work of a rogue employee and was likely not approved to be in the game by the Watch_dogs 2 team and/or Ubisoft. Rogue easter eggs have made it into a lot of games. Usually it is a designer or artist adding their name or a message to a friend or something.

Well, it's not just GAF they have to scour. This thread and story has hit multiple major news sites. Someone at Sony has seen this.

Whether or not it's retaliatory I'll admit we don't know, but this extension coming after it hit the news sites does give the appearance of it, which either way makes Sony look bad regardless of whether they purposely targeted OP or not.

I'm glad everyone can agree this situation is absurd and ludicrous in the first place though, and that OP should never have been banned.

Yeah, the ban is stupid as hell. There's no doubt about that.

People in this thread are calling the removal censorship, but the makers of the game (most likely) did not intend for this to be there. This appears to be the work of a rogue employee and was likely not approved to be in the game by the Watch_dogs 2 team and/or Ubisoft.
and this is based on what?

Joeku

People in this thread are calling the removal censorship, but the makers of the game (most likely) did not intend for this to be there. This appears to be the work of a rogue employee and was likely not approved to be in the game by the Watch_dogs 2 team and/or Ubisoft. Rogue easter eggs have made it into a lot of games. Usually it is a designer or artist adding their name or a message to a friend or something.

There are male and female nudists in the game. It's not a rogue easter egg, it's fucking San Francisco. They knew it was there.

Pooya

Someone tell me, why he got banned for a image he posted on his own twitter? like how is that Sony's business to begin with.

N.Grim

The game as many naked people

OmegaX0

So the ESRB noticed the nudity but the entirety of Ubisoft didn't?

Valonquar

Nothing new here. Sony has a horrible, unreliable track record for doing the right/wrong things. I'm still annoyed some got digital refunds, but I could not, on the same day for AC:Unity digital on release day. All because "you have a trophy for the game" as if there's a game out there that doesn't give you a trophy in the first 3 minutes of the game.

jax

Banned
There are male and female nudists in the game. It's not a rogue easter egg, it's fucking San Francisco. They knew it was there.

So if you take a screenshot of said nudists, you'd be banned from PSN as well?

Everyone who owns WD2 should take a screenshot and post it.

Tovarisc

Someone tell me, why he got banned for a image he posted on his own twitter? like how is that Sony's business to begin with.

It was uploaded from PS4 so it adds #PS4Share hashtag. It makes it to pop into PS4's "Whats new" and such feeds. Sony didn't like it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Even if its not intended its hard to deem it as anything when there are fully naked people elsewhere in the game.

Nick

OP should be banned purely for not including the picture in the first post. And yes, I scrolled down and finally looked at the digital punani.

I don't have a PS4, but isn't sharing an unmodified screenshot of an unmodified game not only within the rules but the entire raison d'etre of the share button in the first place?

My take is, just because the game features mature content, that doesn't necessarily give you the right to share said mature content via the Share button. I'll bet if he opted to just upload the screenshot without the hashtag or perhaps not using the PS4 at all, he wouldn't have had any repercussions. I'm pretty sure that Sony is allowed to dictate what in-game content you can or cannot share using their technology.

Lol, people think the neogaf post led to a ban extension?

I'm sure bans are made by low-level employees then checked by someone with more authority to make sure standards are set. And a senior decided fanny pics are a lengthier ban. The ban wasn't extended because he made it public and Sony are sending a message to all of us not to do the same.

GRaider81

The game is rated appropriately is it not?

The OP did violate the TOS by posting an explicit image did he not? Don't think it really matters what the source for the Image is.

Still a warning should have sufficed. 1 week is harsh, a month is ludicrous.

FStop7

Banned

I'm sure bans are made by low-level employees then checked by someone with more authority to make sure standards are set. And a senior decided fanny pics are a lengthier ban. The ban wasn't extended because he made it public and Sony are sending a message to all of us not to do the same.

i don my sword and shield to defend my personal best friend lord sonny from all who oppose

The reasoning mentions a date that he wasn't active, though. Why would they not just use the original date, then?

In the circus of stupidity run by Ubi and Sony, I'd say that the last thing we need here is a crusade led by the gaming community to keep the most unwarranted nude of all times in a videogame.
There are other games that features full frontal nudity, for example GTA and The Order. But irrespectively to the quality of those games, they use those scenes to tell a story. Here it seems they just fucked up having the texture in the game, as there's ample doubt that their producers and creative directors knew the nude was there,and anyway it's not like they were making any statement with that nude. It's there just 'cause, and I assume it will go away changing nothing about the game.
In order for it to be censorship, it must matter somehow, otherwise they are just patching a production fuckup that ended up embarassing Sony and Ubi.

This is frankly complete and utter bull shit. The game is rated M and nudity is allowed in M rated titles. Nothing was shared other than what was in a properly rated game

Edit- Ah didn't realize the terms stated you can't share nudity even if it's in a game. Still 1 month seems crazy

Calvero

Banned

considering the ban extension mentions a date where he wouldn't have access to online features because of the first ban, no.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Update:
I think we may have..won? I've got this support email backpeddling the bans but of course never admitting fault. Have Sony ever conceded a ban before? Also something must have hit a nerve because I never filed a support ticket but they're the ones contacting me.

Your PlayStation Network Account Suspension -

Dear Adam,

You will have received 2 emails from PlayStation Network earlier today explaining that your account "(my PSN username)" had been suspended due to a breach in our Terms of Service. These notifications were sent to you incorrectly, and your account has not been suspended.

Despite this, your activity on our platform by sharing offensive content from Watchdogs2, was a breach of our PSN Terms of Service section 5:
"Do not share anything that is vulgar."
Further breaches may lead to a temporary or permanent suspension of your account or console from PlayStation Network.
We ask all our players to behave decently, respectfully and with consideration for us and other users.
SIEE Moderation team

I would also like to point out the suspensions were very real and I couldn't sign in to my account.

Kyrios

Update:
I think we may have..won? I've got this support email backpeddling the bans but of course never admitting fault. Have Sony ever conceded a ban before? Also something must have hit a nerve because I never filed a support ticket but they're the ones contacting me.

I would also like to point out the suspensions were very real and I couldn't sign in to my account.

HUZZAHHHHHHH

T7smA.gif

vilmer_

It was uploaded from PS4 so it adds #PS4Share hashtag. It makes it to pop into PS4's "Whats new" and such feeds. Sony didn't like it.

No, somebody reported it as being offensive, etc and Sony reacted, as they should. Complaints need to be taken seriously in this day and age, especially if they get a report of 'sexually inappropriate" images. I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with the ban extension though. Maybe they also realized that he was playing the game early and really laid the hammer down for added measure. Someone on xbone needs to accidentally blow up a few women in a back alley and take a close up shot of their dead corpses and vag hanging out. Make sure to share it with your family and friends. Nothing could go wrong.

This whole account banning as a thing is seriously problematic. I've been curious about it when it happens to people for various reasons, but this is something else. What in the fuck is acceptable about losing access to your video game console online account for a month because of reasons. What have we gotten ourselves into.

Who wouldn't share a screenshot when a surprise vag is there. Jesus. The button is on the damn controller.

Ridley327

Update:

Awesome! Sucks that Sony doesn't want to touch this otherwise, but at least they rescinded your unjust bans.

Top Bottom