• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found a vagina in Watch Dogs 2 and Sony suspended me (Update: Ban lifted)

teiresias

Back when I originally played it, I uploaded a video of me fighting Orphan in the Bloodborne DLC which technically has him using his placenta as a weapon . . . thank goodness I didn't get banned at the time!!!!

AHA-Lambda

ban lifted?

yes-rudy1.gif

Well, I'm very glad the ban was lifted! But I have to say it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Sony shouldn't restrict sharing of a game's content, period. Some games remove the share functionality during certain instances, but when it is allowed, users should be able to post whatever.

I feel like part of this was a publicity stunt from Ubisoft though. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought they could maybe drive up interest with a small controversy, a little like a super toned down version of GTA San Andreas' "Hot Cofee" scene. I am hoping that the patch that is forthcoming only changes this particular model, because even as I'd prefer them to make no changes, if they left in all of the other nudists (men and women), it would help to further break down the extreme puritanism in American culture. I agree that anything but the absolute most extreme violence being acceptable and naked bodies not is just absurd.

I hope that they don't censor the game entirely, because it helps us get past some double standards in the industry. In my opinion, this matters more than situations where games localized from Japan receive alterations, because in most cases that is usually done to somewhat desexualize situations or characters in games that I recall as being rated T or the equivalent in Japan. In this case, the game is rated mature, states "nudity" plainly on the box, and the nudity present is oddly unsexual anyways. It's just there, and Ubisoft being bold enough to have it just be there is strangely progressive seeming from them. I'm not sure, but CD Projekt didn't put full nudity in even Witcher 3, right? It seems like the stigma against everyone's own primary sexual characteristics may be softening.
I'm sorry, it was there. I am trying to be serious here though.

Zomba13

Maybe to prevent this happening in future they should make it opt in t see M rated game content in the Live From Playstation and game feeds? That way you can freely share whatever and only "mature" users can see it and if they don't want to see "mature" content they can opt out.

It's just insane to me that you can see something in a game authorised and certified by Sony, share it using the built in sharing tools and then get told you can't do it because it was a naughty it they don't like but they don't bat an eye at some of the other "mature" content that is arguably more disturbing.

Either way, glad they overturned the ban. It's just a shame it took this blowing up for them to realise how stupid it was.

Baalzebup

Update:
I think we may have..won? I've got this support email backpeddling the bans but of course never admitting fault. Have Sony ever conceded a ban before? Also something must have hit a nerve because I never filed a support ticket but they're the ones contacting me.

I would also like to point out the suspensions were very real and I couldn't sign in to my account.
So they did catch a clue eventually. Got to love the revisionist tone of that message though, not admitting anything on their side.

Still, it's nice that you got your ban lifted.

Kindekuma

Banned
WE DID IT GAF!

In all seriousness what a strange series of events. The ban was outrageous, then the 1 month ban was a kicker, now an ban removal but a slap on the wrist.

Update:
I think we may have..won? I've got this support email backpeddling the bans but of course never admitting fault. Have Sony ever conceded a ban before? Also something must have hit a nerve because I never filed a support ticket but they're the ones contacting me.

I would also like to point out the suspensions were very real and I couldn't sign in to my account.

LOL

What an amazing turn of events. These are the kind of stories only present on GAF!

Stranya

That's a really weak argument.

"We all know little kids play Rated M games. Therefore Rated M games should be less M."
You misunderstand. I don't think M games should be less M. I think Sony should put up filtering options for sharing such content if they are so worried about it.

Even if OP's ban was lifted, it still speaks of a much larger problem with Sony's customer service.

Kicking up a media storm shouldn't have been necessary, and I'm confident Sony won't refrain from making bone-headed moves in the future like banning people from the CS chat, removing access to your games if you get banned or not giving refunds as a general rule.

They need to take a long, hard look at Steam (as do XBL and Nintendo's eShop, they also have terrible policies, though MS support at least tries to be helpful). Little things like automated refunds and especially keeping your games after a ban go a long way towards buying digital with confidence.

3Dprinted

Neo Member
I know it's pointless in the end, but somehow it hurts it's going to be patched (is it btw? Any official statement?).
The game is intended for a mature audience, isn't it?
I mean, violence is depicted in every possible way in this media, and sometimes it can even be disturbing (Soldier of Fortune? Manhunt? MK saga? There may be 'worse' titles out there...)
What's the problem with this, seriously!
Wait what?! A motionless body with partial nudity exposed?! Let's call the Vatican Police!!!
This duplicity is insane.
Ah, the hypocrisy and politically (s)correct age we are living in... <3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have people figured out what limitations psn and xbl have? I need to check later as I don't want my daughter seeing any old shit - hopefully if you can't filter you can at least disable the live from PlayStation feed completely (or whatever the Xbox equivalent is). My son is older so not so much of an issue

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I do wonder if MS woulda done the same of it him them first. Sexuality is so taboo compared to violence. I shared a ton of mid X rays in MKX on Xbox.

Syriel

It's not Sony's fault. But I'm not sure it's really Sony's responsibility to police shared content from titles it allows into its market?

If I watch the movie Requiem for a Dream and go, "Hey guys, I didn't know there was a vagina in this movie, look at this...", it'd be in bad taste to do so and it might violate some MPAA content recirculation issues, sure, but is it my DVD player's fault or Netflix's fault?

Sony doesn't approve every single DVD that is made.

Sony does approve every single retail game that can be played on its consoles.

Update:

Getting media coverage very likely helped a bit. ;)

Top Bottom