• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found a vagina in Watch Dogs 2 and Sony suspended me (Update: Ban lifted)

Have people figured out what limitations psn and xbl have? I need to check later as I don't want my daughter seeing any old shit - hopefully if you can't filter you can at least disable the live from PlayStation feed completely (or whatever the Xbox equivalent is). My son is older so not so much of an issue
Dunno about psn, but on Xbox you can pretty much block everything based on the ratings. The children aren't even able to play the game and the content is filtered from the feed. I believe there's also a way to restrict online chatting to stop people from trying to hook up with your kids IRL.

You can also limit the playtime of you think your kids are spending too much time gaming.

This may have been discussed already, but I can totally see why Sony has the right to ban you. All games are rated accordingly by the ESRB for a reason right? To keep sex, nudity (to a certain extent violence, gore lol) etc. away from younger eyes.

But I am guessing the Sony Share your game photos thing on PSN is not rated by the ESRB.. meaning it's a Sony operated venue open to public, Everyone... So, just because your mature rated game has nudity in it, does not mean you can post said nudity on a public forum.

Apath

It's not just nudity it's the opening and everything. Again if we look at TV I'm pretty sure there's never been an instance where that could be shown, but breasts, buttocks, and the front of the pubic area have been.

Saw your edit. Yup graphic nudity versus just nudity is a good way to distinguish. There are degrees.
Media has no issue showing male genitalia, be it the glans, shaft, or scrotum in grapic, up close detail. Should be no different for female genitalia, be it the labia majora, minora, etc.

OmegaX0

This may have been discussed already, but I can totally see why Sony has the right to ban you. All games are rated accordingly by the ESRB for a reason right? To keep sex, nudity (to a certain extent violence, gore lol) etc. away from younger eyes.

But I am guessing the Sony Share your game photos thing on PSN is not rated by the ESRB.. meaning it's a Sony operated venue open to public, Everyone... So, just because your mature rated game has nudity in it, does not mean you can post said nudity on a public forum.

It should be the same for violent content being shared then. Banning people only for the sexual content makes it seem like Sony feels gory violent content is alright to be shared with kids.

All in all it's just stupid to not have an age rating system for shared content.

LiK

Update:
I think we may have..won? I've got this support email backpeddling the bans but of course never admitting fault. Have Sony ever conceded a ban before? Also something must have hit a nerve because I never filed a support ticket but they're the ones contacting me.

I would also like to point out the suspensions were very real and I couldn't sign in to my account.

Welcome back. Seems they knew they fucked up.

It should be the same for violent content being shared then. Banning people only for the sexual content makes it seem like Sony feels gory violent content is alright to be shared with kids.

All in all it's just stupid to not have an age rating system for shared content.

I get your point, and I am totally for the argument for Nudity and sex (portrayal of human genitals) being more acceptable and less censored than violence and gore. But in this specific scenario, SEO is just following protocol. I agree that they should also start dropping the hammer on accounts who post realistic violence and gore from Mature rated games. Thus avoiding a blatantly lopsided, contradictory censorship rules.

xjy7wlA.jpg

This is a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I get your point, and I am totally for the argument for Nudity and sex (portrayal of human genitals) being more acceptable and less censored than violence and gore. But in this specific scenario, SEO is just following protocol. I agree that they should also start dropping the hammer on accounts who post realistic violence and gore from Mature rated games. Thus avoiding a blatantly lopsided, contradictory censorship rules.
I don't think any hammers should be dropped when so much money is involved with accounts. The possibility of hundreds or even thousands of pounds being lost because you broke a rule that is not 100% concrete and a side feature of having a psn account is absolutely terrible.

I'm not against bans for piracy or cheating because they are directly to do with games. Anything on the side Sony should on principal have measures to prevent the things they don't want appearing on their service. If anything does get through these measures then delete the offending item and have measures in place to take away specific parts of the account privilege such as posting to social media.

Taking away people's purchases is not an equal punishment for not fitting into Sony's image of their network.

Update:
I think we may have..won? I've got this support email backpeddling the bans but of course never admitting fault. Have Sony ever conceded a ban before? Also something must have hit a nerve because I never filed a support ticket but they're the ones contacting me.

I would also like to point out the suspensions were very real and I couldn't sign in to my account.

Sony really needs to re-visit their policy's on this one. You, good sir, just happened to get caught up in a wild and messy ride. I am glad you got your account back safe and sound.

Good job on this one gaf, case closed!

jelly

Daily Mail, British tabloid has an article on all this.

Won't somebody think of the children......turning 16 this year, check out the revealing pictures of them underage exclusively on the Daily Mail.

Absolute trash. Never give DM a click or money.

Glad to hear that somebody sensible at Sony understood the situation and lifted the ban.

However, until they can reconcile certain M-rated content with their community TOS, I could easily see this happening again.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh god, will this result in a wave of sun readers joining Neogaf o_O?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't worry, even if that were to happen I don't think many would have the know how to have a non-standard email, many more would get bored by the amount of time it takes for an account to get validated, and those that get through would probably get banned in the first week.

Syriel

Oh, nevermind. The ESRB site says M = 17+, which is definitely different (from a legal standpoint). AO is the 18+ one. In which case.....eh....nudity may or may not be legit.

There is no force of law around ESRB ratings.

Sony could very easily filter by game rating in its feed. But it doesn't.

Which means that Sony is perfectly fine showing a dismembered torso to kids of all ages, but not nudity.

Top Bottom