• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got scammed for a Nintendo 64 :/

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
For those saying go to the cops, they really aren't going to give it more than 10 seconds for a $50 item.......at least in most places. They are just too busy to deal with stuff like that.....

Meesh

Hey fellow Calgarian! I've been in a couple retro places in Calgary but never have been in this area!! Great tip! I'll check it out.
Probably the best one I've ever been in personally. Feels like the ultimate gamer man-cave lol.

dlbeast

Yeah, it's unfortunate but it's due to covid and such I think, but all there best stuff aggregated to the one store. They've usually got something for everyone.
yea, i loved going to the one on Center street. I think its the only place outside Ebay ive ever seen a sealed copy of Panzeer Dragoon Saga for Saturn. I even saw psone version of Kaleidoscope import cd before they later made it concept into the psone itself . I have all the above, plus more. It was so cool seeing those things. I still am horrified every time i see a 3DO or Jaguar,lol.

Glad to see they have all the good stuff still at the other location. I have not been there, as i just learned the other day the other locations are gone. Ill have to swing by one day next week after work, and see how it looks there.

Prolly after Tuesday as the weather wants to give us a few more middle fingers of snow on Monday.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Probably the best one I've ever been in personally. Feels like the ultimate gamer man-cave lol.
I checked it out today. Picked up an N64 and Starfox for my son (it's a long story - he's got a kind of fascination with the N64 and loves Starfox stuff).

Anyway - guy who owns it was there. He asked me to thank you for giving him a shout-out on Gaf! Very cool store.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I checked it out today. Picked up an N64 and Starfox for my son (it's a long story - he's got a kind of fascination with the N64 and loves Starfox stuff).

Anyway - guy who owns it was there. He asked me to thank you for giving him a shout-out on Gaf! Very cool store.
Could you go into his fascination with the N64? I thought kids hated the older systems. Interesting to hear.

Maddux4164

Sucks man.

N64 emulation is kinda spotty as far as I know, plus nothing's quite the same as playing with an actual N64 controller.
What? N64 emulation is spot on with any game Ive ever tried. Also… let’s be REAL…. That N64 controller while nostalgic is absolutely garbage in every way.

nkarafo

let’s be REAL…. That N64 controller while nostalgic is absolutely garbage in every way.
Not in every way. It's still the best single analog stick controller for FPS games since it's the only one that lets you use the stick with the right thumb and emulate keyboard+mouse controls.

Maddux4164

Not in every way. It's still the best single analog stick controller for FPS games since it's the only one that lets you use the stick with the right thumb and emulate keyboard+mouse controls.
I’ll give ya that. For 1 stick FPS it was born and bread for such. I’ll hand you that one for sure. No controller has ever been designed as well for such purpose

Meesh

yea, i loved going to the one on Center street. I think its the only place outside Ebay ive ever seen a sealed copy of Panzeer Dragoon Saga for Saturn. I even saw psone version of Kaleidoscope import cd before they later made it concept into the psone itself . I have all the above, plus more. It was so cool seeing those things. I still am horrified every time i see a 3DO or Jaguar,lol.

Glad to see they have all the good stuff still at the other location. I have not been there, as i just learned the other day the other locations are gone. Ill have to swing by one day next week after work, and see how it looks there.

Prolly after Tuesday as the weather wants to give us a few more middle fingers of snow on Monday.
It's a really sweet set up. Got a huge kick outta the E.T. display. Don't know how they found so many of those old Atari carts. There's a few nice gems, Chrono Trigger, their sticker on that find is better than mine lol. A Turbografx, Lynx, GBA Micro, they had a nice looking Saturn and Turbo Express at one time.. pretty decent Switch selection.
I bought my first, one and only Dreamcast there with Skies of Arcadia.

I actually like the videogame albums on Vynl, they once had Undertale. I can fully appreciate the couch and TV set up they have.

Lately not quite as many Snes or N64 carts for some reason... weird. But I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go, and sometimes I forget why I went or what I was looking for in the first place. Lol.

Meesh

You betcha! I bought Banjo there a little while ago! Gave that to my oldest cuz he likes Smash and thought it would be fun to show him where that character started. 😄
Cheers!!

AGRacing

Could you go into his fascination with the N64? I thought kids hated the older systems. Interesting to hear.
My son has some speech issues. Some concepts are very difficult for him. One of those things tends to be he doesn't really know or care what is newer vs older on videogames. If he likes it he'll play it.

He got into Starfox because he loved the characters chatting to each other (SNES via Switch).

Once he was into Starfox he wanted to see more... and I believe at some point he saw a Starfox 64 commercial.... ever since that day he's been asking for one. I have a bunch of games but for some reason I never kept the system. I have so many others but of course he only cares about the one I don't have...

I bought 643d for his 2DS but he's looking for the original 64 experience I guess... haha

So the ones they had at the Calgary Store looked clean and nice... I bought him one. I also remembered it was the premier rumble pack game so I picked up one of those.

The other thing I was able to do for him is buy 4 discounted Starlink Switch packs for him so he could play with the spaceships.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
My son has some speech issues. Some concepts are very difficult for him. One of those things tends to be he doesn't really know or care what is newer vs older on videogames. If he likes it he'll play it.

He got into Starfox because he loved the characters chatting to each other (SNES via Switch).

Once he was into Starfox he wanted to see more... and I believe at some point he saw a Starfox 64 commercial.... ever since that day he's been asking for one. I have a bunch of games but for some reason I never kept the system. I have so many others but of course he only cares about the one I don't have...

I bought 643d for his 2DS but he's looking for the original 64 experience I guess... haha

So the ones they had at the Calgary Store looked clean and nice... I bought him one. I also remembered it was the premier rumble pack game so I picked up one of those.

The other thing I was able to do for him is buy 4 discounted Starlink Switch packs for him so he could play with the spaceships.
Thats awesome man.
What? N64 emulation is spot on with any game Ive ever tried. Also… let’s be REAL…. That N64 controller while nostalgic is absolutely garbage in every way.
Whats wrong with the 64 controller? Everything on it feels great. Or are you one of those "three hands" people?
You use the 1.2 scheme, but with the d pad instead of the c buttons? Wow. I tried doing that but couldn't. I recently went over to 1.2 in the last year, but I have to use the c buttons and an inverted stick for some reason.

nkarafo

You use the 1.2 scheme, but with the d pad instead of the c buttons? Wow. I tried doing that but couldn't. I recently went over to 1.2 in the last year, but I have to use the c buttons and an inverted stick for some reason.
D-pad and stick was how i started playing N64 FPS with Turok. Played every other FPS this way, thankfully all of them had input options to achieve that. This also made my transition to modern dual analog controls very smooth.

Dream-Knife

Banned
D-pad and stick was how i started playing N64 FPS with Turok. Played every other FPS this way, thankfully all of them had input options to achieve that. This also made my transition to modern dual analog controls very smooth.
Yeah when I moved to 1.2 that method seemed like it would make sense, but my brain is wired to hold the N64 controller that one way. Also explains the inverted stick when I don't play anything else inverted.

Oddly I don't remember ever having a problem with Halo when it came out either, but as a kid I used 1.1, and that's basically dual stick but c buttons instead of a stick.

Top Bottom