• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Briefcase suit scene
Sam Rockwell
''I want my bird.''
RDJ pissing in an armor
Sam Rockwell
''Congrats sir, you just created an element''
The scene Black Widow and Happy Hogan kick ass.
Sam Rockwell

Bad guy that skips rope

Whiplash.gif

Speely

Banned
That OP is something else. In a good way.

Thor 2 is the worst thing to come out of the MCU by a large margin. It is a horrible movie, whether one considers it as a Thor movie, a Marvel movie, or just a movie.

Briefcase suit scene
Sam Rockwell
''I want my bird.''
RDJ pissing in an armor
Sam Rockwell
Sam Rockwell

Yeah not sure what much happened in Thor 2 besides shitty Natalie Port... als and Kat Dennings and some boring lore

RagnarokX

Thor 2 Thor 2. Natalie Portman is in England because I guess the film crew wanted a vacation to England? There's no reason at all for the movie to be set there. I guess it's like National Lampoon's European Alien Invasion or something. And then she wanders into a literal plot hole and ends up with the mcguffin that the bad guys want. And then the rest of the movie is just people chasing Natalie Portman. Do we know what happened to Fistfullofmetal after he got banned? Is he a scriptwriter?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thor 2 > Ironman 2

Biggest problem they had with Thor 2 was changing Directors. They should have kept Lockheart.

6IWwfWc.gif

The thing is that all of Thor 2's problems apply to all of the other MCU movies, to some varying degree, so that aspect alone doesn't make it stand out from the rest as being worse. They are nearly all light, inoffensive, eminently forgettable movies. They are soft-serve ice cream.

Goldrush

Thor/Loki shoed-in? Nah, it's the saving grace of the movie. Just talking out of my ass here, but I wouldn't be surprise if the initial seed of the story was an "enemy mine" trope. However, because of MCU mandates and Thor 1 baggage, the end result was a little shop of horrors abomination.

well, now I want to watch The Lone Ranger

congrats Mr. Mandrake, you've sold me on it.

also thor 2 is dogshit, and yes, forgettable movies are worse than terrible ones

BigDes

Most interesting part of Thor 2 happened entirely off screen and was used a stinger for Thor 3

In that Loki has apparently bumped off Odin and is pretending to be him

I voted for the first option

#AlphasDoingAlphaThings

Thor 2 > Ironman 2

Biggest problem they had with Thor 2 was changing Directors. They should have kept Lockheart.

6IWwfWc.gif

Kenneth Branagh is a good director and the first Thor greatly benefited from his directing experience. Let's be honest here, they needed the guy who does Shakespeare to do the comic book hero based on the Norse god.

Platy

Thor 2 had the best cameo in the ENTIRE MCU in the scene
Loki turns into Captain America

And no, it is not stan lee =P

Korigama

By no means the best MCU film, but it kept me entertained. Which is more than I can say for Batman v. Superman. And for all the hate it gets, even Iron Man 2 was preferable to Iron Man 3 for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kenneth Branagh is a good director and the first Thor greatly benefited from his directing experience. Let's be honest here, they needed the guy who does Shakespeare to do the comic book hero based on the Norse god.

It sounds like such a stupid idea, but he really was the perfect choice.

ZeroX03

Banned
I consider Thor 2 to be about as good as Suicide Squad, so either SS is underrated or Thor 2 is overrated.
It's the latter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Thor 2 is the worst MCU film. Which is to say, it's mediocre and forgettable, and pretty much just "okay" all around at its best. It's like issue #14 of an ongoing Thor comic series, that only exists because an issue had to come out that month. Unfortunately for Thor 2, movies take a lot longer and far more money to come out, so the disappointment is far more tangible than it would be for a monthly comic. Years from now it'll just be "The One Everyone Skips When They Watch The MCU Movies" and that'll be that.

It's still better than anything in the DCEU so far, though.

Thor 2 is the worst MCU film. Which is to say, it's mediocre and forgettable, and pretty much just "okay" all around at its best. It's like issue #14 of an ongoing Thor comic series, that only exists because an issue had to come out that month. Unfortunately for Thor 2, movies take a lot longer and far more money to come out, so the disappointment is far more tangible than it would be for a monthly comic. Years from now it'll just be "The One Everyone Skips When They Watch The MCU Movies" and that'll be that.

Nah, DCEU has Man of Steel.

Bitanator

I stopped watching the moment the elves showed up wearing masks bought by the costume designer at the nearest party city

Korigama

Nah, DCEU has Man of Steel.
I thought that was rather terrible as well (not as bad as BvS, but still not good).

Also, since I didn't mention it earlier, even the worst MCU film (insert most hated one here) is still better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which managed to be dumb, incoherent, AND inconsistent.

Bothering to take Batman & Robin into consideration at all makes about as much sense as adding Blankman to the discussion (the only difference being that the latter is at least an intentional comedy).

DeathyBoy

Banned
It sounds like such a stupid idea, but he really was the perfect choice.

Only problem with Thor is lost stuff on Asgard is terrible. But that's inherent to the property - like with Doctor Who, seeing the God/Alien interact with humans is interesting and fun, seeing him interact with his own kind is boring as shit.

Thor 2 Thor 2. Natalie Portman is in England because I guess the film crew wanted a vacation to England? There's no reason at all for the movie to be set there.

It was becausenof UK tax breaks for shooting, hence every movie from around then spending significant chunks of time in London.

gatti-man

Thor 2 maybe mediocre but it isn't even the worst MCU movie. That honor easily goes to ironman 2. It's entirely disposable. The plot was shit, the villain was terrible shit, and even RDJ seemed to not care. Horrible.

Then there is the shit show that is BVS and the absolutely unwatchable mess that is suicide squad. SS is easily the worst modern superhero movie I've ever seen. Thor 2 is like the Dark Knight in comparison to SS.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I agree completely.

BvS failed horribly at trying to be something unique. I mean, it was butthole on fire, but it tried to do a thing. Like have Batman and Superman like murdering things.

Thor 2 failed fucking horribly at being milquetoast.

Even Iron Man 2 was remembered for being really unwatchable bad. Thor 2 isn't even memorable in its being bad.

tomtom94

Thor 2, like a few films in the MCU (especially in phase 2), struggled because there were different competing visions of how the film should be. Is it a fantasy epic (clearly the intent, at least based on the directors they chose), or do we need to give audiences more of the comedy they got in the first one?

The plot is a drag but I don't really see how it would be improved even if you added a whole bunch of scenes explaining Malekith's presence and motivations because the plot itself is just pretty dull. Taylor's style of shooting doesn't help as the scenes in Asgard in particular feel like an exceptionally dull episode of Game of Thrones. The comedy - which was mostly added in reshoots - does stick out but it's also the only thing which really redeems the film for me (along with the third act, which I'll admit shook me out of my stupor on a rewatch. I am a sucker for a good third act).

Rather like Age of Ultron, it needed another pass in the script room and a set of producers who weren't squabbling for control.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The main bad guy was a bit crappy, but IMO the main bad guy in Guardians of the Galaxy was worse. I had no idea what he was doing or why - in Thor 2 I at least knew the bad guy wanted to destroy the entire universe with bad red stuff. No rhyme nor reason but whatever. There has been a bit of a rash of poor bad guys in movies in recent years.

It was more a 'death by a thousand cuts' for me - lots of little things that slowly wore me down.

- random bad goo 'aether' which is apparently capable of destroying worlds, but bad guys are defeated and it is locked away for all time in a place no-one can find. Is this a movie or a generic JRPG? Next you'll be telling me the aether got broken into 9 fragments and scattered across the land.
- aether hidden away for all time - or until the main characters love interest eats it? There is coincidence and then there is eye rolling incredulity.
- The ships attacking Asgard - I thought Asgard was all powerful, and the dark elves almost vanquished. But they can just fly into Asgard and fuck the whole place up?
- the scooby doo portals in the ending act. This screws up multiple things in one go: injects weird humour that doesn't feel well placed so it jars. I like humour in marvel movies but there is a time and place; it breaks things up so there is no coherent flow to the boss fight, making it difficult to follow; then it just ends.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thinking about that, I think captain America is the only character that has a series of movies I'd rewatch fully.

Thor was great, Thor 2 not.
Iron man was great, IM2 was poor and 3 was passable but I could easily ignore it
Captain America is great. Winter soldier is great. Civil war is good.

Maybe I'm a sucker for a good origin story (also I'm not that familiar with comic books), or they just out more care into those and then get a little less focused for later movies.

VAD

This movie killed my admiration for Natalie Portman. Other than that, it was an ok movie, the Asgard attack was a blatant ripoff of that one Star Wars TOR trailer but was enjoyable, all things Malekith-related were forgettable but the Loki things saved the rest. Also Kat Dennings and Chris O'Dowd are in it. I enjoyed it more than Thor 1.
To sum up, the only thing offensive that the movie did was breaking Natalie Portman. I give it a pass about the rest.

Jinkies

I liked it. It's a lot better than Thor 1, because seeing more of Thor's homeworld is what I wanted from the first film.

The ending was exciting. Loki isn't a good guy, he is a bad guy and now he has control! Now I can't wait for T3.

Alienous

Briefcase suit scene
Sam Rockwell
''I want my bird.''
RDJ pissing in an armor
Sam Rockwell
Sam Rockwell

No mention of "My greatest creation"? How dare you.

cyba89

If Thor 2 wasn't part of the MCU no one would talk about it after half a year like the Green Lantern movie or the Fantastic Four movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom