• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd put BvS above Thor 2, because I've never seen BvS, nor do I plan to. I don't have that luxury with Thor 2.

It was weak; by far the weakest of the Marvel films I've seen (which is all of them bar Cap 3 and Ant-Man). I didn't think it was terrible though. Just average.

DeathyBoy

Banned
TBF the vast majority of marvels films are grounded in Earth, there wasn't a great need to add another and you get even further into the superhero bloat of where the fuck all the other heroes were where this shit went down. There's nothing inherently wrong with basing it in asgardian fantasy they just implemented it awfully.

Asgard is inherently boring because there Thor's just another guy. It's Doctor Who syndrome, the character is better as a unique visitor on Earth than one of many Time Lords.

Plus on Asgard you lost the fish out of watet comedy Hemsworth is great at. Not to mention how Thor is inherently unique on Earth as only Hulk presents a physical challenge - so he can be "dude who fends off Aliens." There, ready made franchise

AHA-Lambda

The only major changes by the end of the movie are that Thor’s mom died, Loki is playing dead for some reason (And I guess a good guy now, until Marvel decides it needs him to be a villain again)

Apart from that Loki is a villain at the end and usurped Odin without Thor's knowledge? :p

So I rewatched Thor The Dark World, since it was on TV.

random observations

- It's honestly pretty harmless for the first two acts. Just standard Hollywood Marvel fare. Loki elevates things, but it's mostly just decent action and setup.
- I swear they stole the Kids Playing with Broken Physics thing from that one episode of Animatrix.
- Natalie Portman is still the worst.
- I can see why people get upset by the third act. It's "Wow that was Convenient" The Climax. Most of what happens in the last third of the movie are ass pulls.
- The science is so soft, it is now melted ice cream.
- By the end you realize there's little reason to ever need to see the movie, it's pretty insubstantial.
- Yeah it's certainly the lowest tier of MCU movies from that last act alone, yeesh.4
- edit: but i mean, the Mjolnir cosntantly moving to find its master thing does at least make for a fun action gimmick.
- But I still don't get the burning hate for it, it's dumb, but still fun action. I'll take it over any given Transformers movie or BVS any day.

I've reached my lowest point. my family is 1,000 miles away from me, I am sunburned, and I am now watching thor 2 the dark world on FX in a hotel room in my underwear.

TheFlow

Banned
Thor 2 is really bad. Like pre MCU bad.

Like ghost rider 2 bad.

Iron man 2 at least had some cool moments and gifs

Kyoufu

It was a tough decision but I had to pick Thor 2: The Dark World in the poll, although I think I should have picked the other option in hindsight.

It was on tv today. I quite enjoyed it again. I'm baffled by people thinking Portman and Hopkins phoned it in though. I disagree completely.

I think my only real complaint is Thor being quite nerfed. Especially in the battle with Kurse.

Plus I think they missed a big opportunity to have a very large and epic battle on Vanahiem at the start. I've never understood who they were fighting against. Were they aliens or from another realm?

I like the comics realm of Asgard being connected to most of the other Realms. You can get to them by horseback.

pompidu

lol hilarious post.

but the answer you are looking for is that its a Marvel movie. They are judged differently than most other movies. In the same world where BvS and SS are reviled by gaffers, you have people defending Thor 2 and pretending Iron Man 2, Ant Man and Guardians really deserve their high RT ratings.

I enjoyed Thor 2. I liked the visuals in Asgard. I liked Loki's performance which was much more charming than in Avengers and Thor 1. I liked the portal fight sequence at the end. It was creative. It's a fun movie. It's typical Marvel formulaic movie that you watch and forget about for the rest of your life. But people love it.

And thats OK. There is nothing wrong with liking forgettable summer blockbusters. It's when you start to apply a different set of standards for movies like MoS, BvS and SS where i get impatient and decide to take on these Thor 2 and Iron Man 2/3 fans who had no problems with ridiculous humor in Thor 2's final battle, no problems with Mickey Rouke's terrible villain, no problem with Pepper turning into a super hero, no problom with Guardians literally holding hands to beat the villains.

Again, all that is fine for a super hero movie. but at least fucking admit that those are BIG fucking flaws in a very mediocre movie.

Reading through this thread and had to stop here.

Salty as fuck.

On topic, Thor 2 wasn't bad, just forgettable.

Not

Banned
I hope the "look you fucking bitch i" thing stops being funny soon because I'm getting mad at myself for laughing

Apart from that Loki is a villain at the end and usurped Odin without Thor's knowledge? :p

i has this thingy about that

maybe odin was like, im gonna do something bad and resurrect frigga so im gunna be busy elsewhere so.....i need someone who can convincingly be me and who wants the job to boot

o here comes a fool

(thor is never bright :>)

Not

Banned
I'll give you this Mandrake, I didn't remember a single thing about Thor 2 besides "Loki's in it," "Jane finds a black mist thing," and "Thor catches a hammer and flies into the distance that one time," but I still remember enjoying this movie regardless.

Sorry to drag this amazing thread back from the dead, but I just couldn't help but comment after finally seeing Dr Strange.

The Credit Sequence reminded me just how forgettable this movie was when
Thor is talking to the Doctor about finding Odin. I thought he died? Apparently he's just missing? Who the hell knows

The Kree

Banned
Sorry to drag this amazing thread back from the dead, but I just couldn't help but comment after finally seeing Dr Strange.

Thor is talking to the Doctor about finding Odin. I thought he died? Apparently he's just missing? Who the hell knows

You didn't forget, you just weren't paying attention.

I can't sit up here and agree with people saying Iron man 2 was worse than Thor 2, especially since we got fucking war machine out of IM2. The Thor movies are trash. I have hope for the last one because Hulk.

Oersted

It was on tv today. I quite enjoyed it again. I'm baffled by people thinking Portman and Hopkins phoned it in though. I disagree completely.

I think my only real complaint is Thor being quite nerfed. Especially in the battle with Kurse.

Plus I think they missed a big opportunity to have a very large and epic battle on Vanahiem at the start. I've never understood who they were fighting against. Were they aliens or from another realm?

I like the comics realm of Asgard being connected to most of the other Realms. You can get to them by horseback.

I think the biggest issue with Hopkins and many other of the performances in the Thor franchise, is that they don't blend in well.

I see Hopkins in a goofy ass costume. I see Elba in a goofy ass costume. I see barely anyone as their characters.

Either;

a) Loki is screwing with Thor again and knows exactly where Odin is, plays that he's gone missing
b) Whatever he did to get rid of Odin meant he went somewhere untraceable and Loki/Thor genuinely needs to find him to stop Hela

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I can't sit up here and agree with people saying Iron man 2 was worse than Thor 2, especially since we got fucking war machine out of IM2. The Thor movies are trash. I have hope for the last one because Hulk.

I vastly prefer IM2 over IM3. Like, it's not even close for me...I don't care what GAF or the Internet says.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Thor 2 had a great, memorable ending with all the dimension hopping. Also Loki teasing Thor as Cap. Also Loki.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
All this Thor 2 hate should be redirected to the real bad movie of the MCU:
OnepXqS.jpg

Jonogunn

Thor 2 at least followed a proper movie format from start to finish.
BVS was literally a mash up of random scenes with no cohesion whatsoever. Also no one cares bout a Thor sequel the same way they care about the TWO MOST ICONIC HEROES OF ALL TIME TOGETHER ON THE BIG SCREEN FOR THE FIRST TIME EVERRRR

That said I love Thor 1. Not perfect but the whole fish out of water stuff was great.

But since Thor matured at the end of Thor 1 he's been nothing but a lame duck even in the Avengers.

He had more personality in Avengers 2 though which was a plus. I have full confidence in Thor Ragnorok. He's gonna be great quote me.

I liked Thor 2, I saw it with a group of 6 other friends and everyone enjoyed it. It's just a mindlessly fun film that at worst is forgettable.

And yeah it's better than BvS and Iron Man 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom