• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Man 2 & 3 are bottom of the barrel for Marvel films. Iron Man 2 gets a pass because it was the first time they were really going for the whole shared Universe thing but 3 is just the worst with no excuse.

Glass Rebel

I thought Iron Man 3 was Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 levels of bad.

giphy.gif

CloudWolf

Bravo, Lionel, bravo

it was all a setup so Taika Waititi will take his place as the greatest man at anything ever, a place he earned with every other movie he ever made, but didn't get noticed for so he had to do a tentpole one.

I mean look at it

xX5i7F1.png

his last 2 movies scored +95% on RT ffs.
I'm kind of wondering about this. On one hand, Taika Waititi is amazing, but on the other hand he has a very specific style of filmmaking and that style is pretty far removed from Marvel's style and considering that Taika is only directing the film and has no hand in the writing, it could very well turn out bad.

LaNaranja

I will straight up pull a Jay and Silent Bob and find all you mother fuckers talking shit about Iron Man 3. That is the GOAT superhero movie.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I will straight up pull a Jay and Silent Bob and find all you mother fuckers talking shit about Iron Man 3. That is the GOAT superhero movie.

I'll PM you my address so I can kick your ass in person. IM2>>>IM3!!

On topic, I generally enjoy any Marvel movie to some extent, but have only watched Thor 2 once and don't remember anything about it except an infinity gem that was some kind of red mist.

dh4niel

I couldn't watch the whole thing to be honest. Never been a massive Thor fan in the comics anyway. I'm interested to see what they do in Ragnarok though.

Xun

I never quite understood the massive amount of hate towards Thor 2 and Iron Man 2.

They're still fun movies?

Glass Rebel

being honest, I really like how that movie handled the mandarin.

I love how they combined multiple versions of the interpretation of the Mandarin and put their own spin on it. Love the idea that the Mandarin in IM3 is based on legends about a character that might actually exist.

It was also hilarious as hell.

Peccavi

The one thing I really liked about Thor 2 was Frigg's reveal. The realization that Loki didn't get his illusion powers from his birth parents, they're not a frost giant thing... He was taught illusion by his mother. While he may hate Thor and Odin, no longer seeing them as family, Frigg was his mother regardless of blood and her death shatters him.

Blues1990

I love how they combined multiple versions of the interpretation of the Mandarin and put their own spin on it. Love the idea that the Mandarin in IM3 is based on legends about a character that might actually exist.

It was also hilarious as hell.

Can you imagine a super drunken Ben Kingsley, with magical rings, battling the Avengers? It would be such a hilarious sight.

I wonder why those defending Iron Man 3 have to resort to insults.

Because the general tone of criticism against that movie on this forum seems to come from comic fans who are upset that a D-tier super villain was reinterpreted into something much more interesting.

I've seen it crop up a lot, people whose main critical impulse when evaluating superhero movies is that accuracy to source material = quality. The mandarin twist is one of the interesting things the MCU has done with an antagonist throughout their entire slate of films (not exactly a high bar, but still).

Iron Man 3 is really good, I find the hate towards it mystifying.

Thor 2 is ok, better than Iron Man 2 and I found it more memorable than Dr. Strange which was just a poorly strung together special effects showcase.

Open your heart, OP. Let Thor 2:The Dark World flow through you like the Aether flowed through Natalie Portman. Do not seek to understand it or explain it, just experience it. Your mind may forget the heroes, the villains, the sidekicks, the plot and its resolution but your soul will never forget. It will never, ever forget.

It was the MCU's version of a Star Trek holodeck episode. You groaned and complained but you still watched it because it was all the Star Trek you would get until next time.

oneils

I knew Thor's mom because it was RENEE RUSSO!! Who could forget her!? Tsk tsk mandrake, turn in your critics badge.

But, seriously, that's all I remember from the Thor movies. That Renee Russo is his mom. I remember being excited about that.

TDW could have been better. That opening was pathetic. A missed opportunity for an epic opening. Kurse Thor Battle was also a let down. And I'll never get the Eccelstone love, I thought he was miscast but more importantly Malekith was woefully written.

Illl still watch it before any recent Xmen or DC movie though.

Sayad

358 clueless soul voted for the first choice when it has been made clear for months here that the true Thor 2 is always the last choice, smh.

Sojgat

Because obtuse opinions are frustrating.

Mayhap.

Doesn't excuse anything though.

Because the general tone of criticism against that movie on this forum seems to come from comic fans who are upset that a D-tier super villain was reinterpreted into something much more interesting.

I've seen it crop up a lot, people whose main critical impulse when evaluating superhero movies is that accuracy to source material = quality. The mandarin twist is one of the interesting things the MCU has done with an antagonist throughout their entire slate of films (not exactly a high bar, but still).

I can understand that, it's not even one of my major problems with the movie. Kingsley is quite funny, and it's an interesting twist. The problem with pulling a major dramatic bait and switch like that is you have to replace the thing you're promising with something better or at least as equally interesting. Guy Pearce with a dragon tattoo is not that.

My main problems are:

- The villain and his motivations being weak as fuck. Pearce is totally wasted outside of one good scene with Paltrow.

- The laughable PTSD plotline.

- Cheadle Rhodey continuing to suck as an unconvincing soldier and lame comic relief sidekick butt of all jokes.

- The lack of consistency of how the Iron Man suits even work. It was a bigger problem in 2 (central dilemma being solvable with an extension chord) but there are some equally stupid things in 3.

- Lack of cool Iron Man action in the movie. The idea of illustrating that it's the "Man" part of the equation rather than the armour that's most important is an interesting one, but minimizing the suits to such a disposable level wasn't called for (and isn't what I came to see). The final action sequence is a near Bayformers level incomprehensible mess of fast cutting and explosions.

- The overly neat and contrived ending (totally not driven by RDJ's contract negotiations).

The biggest thing I hate about Iron Man 3 is how hugely disappointing it is as a Shane Black action comedy. It's overly sanitized, and too much of the watered down humour either falls flat or is outright annoying (Gary). The only thing that really worked was Tony and the kid.

It's an awful, awful movie.

Chococat

Meh. It is fine.

Not great movie for expanding the MCU, but a simple romp. Definitely would watch again over BvsS just because it is fun.

Maxim726X

I totally agree, the main problem with Thor 2? It wasn't even bad enough to be memorable. It was utterly forgettable and mostly a bore.

You could tell Portman read this script and said 'Well, it's a paycheck' and she decided to sleepwalk through the movie. And Thor's biggest problem as a series and character? He's boring. This is the same basic problem that Superman has.

Sulik2

I like Iron Man 2 the best of the iron man films and I think Thor 2 is fine. Nothing special but it had some good humor and all the wormhole stuff at the end was great. Plus that captain america cameo. Portman was legit terrible in it though.

Glass Rebel

I totally agree, the main problem with Thor 2? It wasn't even bad enough to be memorable. It was utterly forgettable and mostly a bore.

You could tell Portman read this script and said 'Well, it's a paycheck' and she decided to sleepwalk through the movie. And Thor's biggest problem as a series and character? He's boring. This is the same basic problem that Superman has.

It's not. Bad writers not knowing what to do with these characters is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom