• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

Does no one remember the fire monsters in Iron Man 3?

There were fire monsters.
It's like people only remember the awesome Mandarin fake-out and forget all about the absurd fire monsters, the very easily breakable Iron Man suits, the villian who was ripped straight out of The Incredibles and the fact that in the end the villian was defeated by a fiery Gwyneth Paltrow in her underwear.

Glass Rebel

Nah, people just don't think all that matters when we have Tony Stark going Arkham Asylum detective vision and then McGuyver on overpowered foes.

Iron Man 3 is fucking dope.

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah Dr. Strange had a very generic plot
It was an origin story. We all know origin stories are weak but, honestly, I thought Strange was one of the better ones. It was very visually appealing, too, which helped. They've now set the stage for the sequel, and for his debut in the MCU.

I mean, we live in the world of Transformers movies, I have hard time saying this movie isn't at least serviceable. It's fine enough for some action movie you'll watch once and never again after. But it's clearly at the low end of marvel movies.

Speevy

Banned
It's like people only remember the awesome Mandarin fake-out and forget all about the absurd fire monsters, the very easily breakable Iron Man suits, the villian who was ripped straight out of The Incredibles and the fact that in the end the villian was defeated by a fiery Gwyneth Paltrow in her underwear.

Tony doesn't want to admit she's dead.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

You say that as if it wasn't all fun.

"That was so VIOLENT!"

That's an over simplification.

Syriel

I'm not a hater on the Marvel Universe. I tend to like most of the movies they put out. Even the first Thor was fine. Even Iron Man 2 had some things going for it. This? This is trash. This is below trash. Trash, at least one point in its life, had a purpose. So I want everyone on this forum to know that when I say I hate Thor 2, I'm not kidding. I hate Thor 2. It's the worst. It's worse than Batman v Superman. It's worse than Batman and Robin. It's worse than The Amazing Spider-Man 2. It's worse than Catwoman.... Okay, maybe not Catwoman. Catwoman really sucks.

Thor 2 > Iron Man 3

The biggest problem with Thor 2 isn't even that it's forgettable, but you're actually allowed to forget it. I mean, what is Dark World's contribution to the overall plot of the MCU besides introducing the Reality gem and set up Ragnarok in its final 30 seconds?

What the fuck? I only remember the fake fake Mandarin burning up from extremis or some shit. God, MCU extremis was so dumb

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I remember enjoying all of it because it was a super hero movie and all that stuff was contextually appropriate.

Cipherr

So bad. I was laughing when it got to that part. Ironman 3 is absolute trashjuice. I'll never understand why in the fanboy wars DC guys try to fling shit at good films like WS and Civil War instead of the obvious low hanging fruit of IM3 and Thor 2.

.JayZii

Banned
Almost nothing from Marvel movies sticks in my mind after seeing them. So pointing to the villain and asking "who even is this?" or asking "what even was the plot?" could be levied against most of them for me.

Let's be real, they have good casting and high budgets, but a lot of the other elements are kind of forgettably schlocky. I realize I'm inviting "ooo edgy" responses, but the way people in general are so high on the marvel cinematic universe, but so hard on Thor 2 is a weird juxtaposition to witness.

Wiped89

Sorry but I actually liked Thor 2.

It's not as good as the first and some of the wider plot is a little questionable but at its core it's fun and has lots of Loki, who is my favourite character in the Marvel Universe, played wonderfully by Hiddlestone. And it ends perfectly, setting up some future devilish Loki fun.

Sue me

Iron Man 3 is one of the best films in the MCU. Avengers 2 is one of the weakest. Same with Thor 2.

Iron Man 3 is mostly hated on by people who read old Iron Man comics and actually wanted the racist Chinese villain from those instead of originality and fresh ideas.

No. It is mostly hated by people who realized that after the Mandarin fakeout the movie was left with the most awful boring stupid villain in the entire MCU. I'll even take Malekith and Ronan over Killian and his lame goons.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It is definitely forgettable.

Pointing to the largely inconsequential plot and lack of character growth is probably why.

There's few key emotional points in the movie. The only one i can think of is loki realizing he still cares about his family somewhat. At least his mom?

Yet I still think bvs is worse.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Thor 2 was good. I saw it before I saw the first one, and the two mostly melded into each other in my memory. It's kind of exactly what fans want in a first sequel: more of the same.

It's a good movie OP. You're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom