• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate shoulder buttons. Why are they a thing?

....you do know that you are supposed to hold the controller with your middle fingers and use the triggers with your index fingers... right ?

What a weird opinion.

Corgi

Banned
never had a problem besides games that use all 4 triggers simultaneously like in MGS2-3.

Sure does make fighting Boss way easier though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Wait, you cramp up your hand and lose back support? I think you need to visit a doctor and get that checked out.

I believe when he says back support, he is talking about the back of the controller, like it will slip out of his grasp when he uses the shoulder buttons.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I believe when he says back support, he is talking about the back of the controller, like it will slip out of his grasp when he uses the shoulder buttons.

Yes, of course! I did not mean my spine gave out when I used these buttons.

OP knows how to hold a game controller, right?

Random pics from Google

stock-photo-10172862-human-hands-holding-a-wireless-gaming-controller-on-white-background.jpg

1888968-blog_2.jpg

I don't see the problem.

shoulder buttons is one of the best things that happened in gaming.
Sometimes shoulder buttons are the "main" buttons and the rest are just support, and it works wonderfully

Elitist1945

This is why I liked the PS3 controller. Index fingers rested on the triggers, and then the shoulder buttons were below that which was easily pushed by your lower finger if you needed to.

I've only ever had an issue with shoulder buttons once (the bumpers on the X1). Outside of that, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone complain about anything but those.

Naw I never had a problem with controllers with shoulder buttons. I think you might be alone on this.

Also GEN controller is the GOAT

They are great for 3d games where you use your right thumb to control the camera. Mapping important functions onto the face buttons force you to use an uncomfortable claw grip for optimal performance. Mapping them onto the shoulder buttons prevents this problem. More character action games should adopt Souls-style control schemes in this regard.

SmithnCo

Shoulder buttons are necessary. They allow you to use finger in a natural position to do more actions.

Strange opinion.

FLAguy954

Eliminating shoulder buttons, but not triggers, should be the next step in controller comfort. Move those shoulder buttons behind the controller where your middle, or even ring, fingers have easy access.

Yes, hardware manufacturers need to work with how a controller is typically held.

As for the OP, I disagree.

Kinda understand the point. It sounds like the same reasoning that Nintendo used when going back to the Wii Remote: having more than the binary choice from two buttons is a barrier to entry for many people. Everyone in my family will play some NES Super Mario Bros, but Super Mario World would be a lot more intimidating to them. Even though X/L/R aren't used that much in SMW, IME the extra potential complexity throws off a lot of people that don't play regularly.

I think that's what OP is getting at, any way. Personally, I like shoulder buttons as an item toggle instead of as an action. Comparing Mega Man X to NES Mega Man, it's so much more convenient changing weapons with L/R in real time than the old NES method of pausing to select a new weapon. I wouldn't want to use shoulder buttons for any action that requires precision and quick reflexes.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Having large hands make it very easy to hold with the index finger on the shoulder buttons and middle finger resting the triggers.

The buttons I dislike, well feel they are in the wrong location is the the L3, R3 buttons. Pushing the thumb sticks down when they could have just put them on the bottom.

Just when I thought I had heard it all. Simple answer is they couldn't fit more buttons on the front of the controller comfortably so they started putting them on top.

They are not in a place where your hand naturally rests on a controller. To hit them you have to cramp up your entire hand and lose all back support.

What? That's like the exact opposite of how they are. Sounds like you are holding the controller is some weird fashion if you're having so much trouble.

I still don't understand how the positioning of one finger makes the difference between comfortable and uncomfortable. It would seem that you could get used to it relatively quickly, unless you have like....arthritis? Whatever the case, controllers aren't changing anytime soon so you better get used to it :p

This has to be the most confusing thing I've ever read on Gaf...

bomblord1

Banned
Fine, I'll do it:

Uncomfortable:

Comfortable:

Uncomfortable:

Comfortable:

Uncomfortable:

Comfortable:

I don't mean for like holding it for 5 minutes. But if I'm going to be spending hours holding these things I'd rather just have my fingers on the back.

Those "comfortable" pics look incredibly uncomfortable to me. They are completely opposed to the natural resting position of a hand.

prelim_p004_hand.gif

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like them on the SNES, and still don't like them much on portables like the 3DS or Vita (latter is fine with trigger grip attachment though).

But I have had no issues with them on post SNES console controllers, especially the Dual Shock and all the Xbox controllers (sans the orginal XB1 version--type S was great though). Those are designed so its more ergonomic to use the shoulder buttons. Unlike the SNES or portables where the design is flat and they're just on the top corners.

Those "comfortable" pics look incredibly uncomfortable to me. They are completely opposed to the natural resting position of a hand.

prelim_p004_hand.gif

I'm also trying to take a photo at the same time. I don't usually hold my controllers at arms length at an angle.

Try and just look at my fingers. Gripping a controller with all your fingers on the back is much more comfortable.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I hate shoulder buttons too
shoulder-buttons2.jpg

They look really bad to me.

But in all seriousness I used to hate them but adapted to it. I rest my index between the bumper and trigger usually.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm also trying to take a photo at the same time. I don't usually hold my controllers at arms length at an angle.

Try and just look at my fingers. Gripping a controller with all your fingers on the back is much more comfortable.

I'm referring specifically to finger positions. A hand naturally curls up like in my photo you seem to have your top two fingers contorted behind the controller to grip the back. That also moves your thumb to an awkward position for the joysticks. I couldn't imagine doing that for any extended period of time.

EDIT
I'm not saying that the particular position you are using is not more comfortable for you specifically as I can't speak to that but I personally would find it the opposite.

taa0098

Neo Member
Seriously, I'm surprised people still don't know how to use a controller.

Here's the real dilemma of the thread. I'm a 4 fingers guy, index on shoulder buttons and middle fingers on the triggers. I adopted it learning to play dark souls since it just makes sense, being able to parry/power attack the second you need to, instead of switching your index finger over. It made the most sense, and ever since I've used it for every game I play with a controller, especially bayonetta/dmc. I see nothing wrong with it, feels fine.

Fine, I'll do it:

Uncomfortable:

Comfortable:

Uncomfortable:

Comfortable:

Uncomfortable:

Comfortable:

I don't mean for like holding it for 5 minutes. But if I'm going to be spending hours holding these things I'd rather just have my fingers on the back.

I do not believe how you guys feel holding controllers is how most other people feel holding controllers. I would say most people are probably the opposite.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm referring specifically to finger positions. A hand naturally curls up like in my photo you seem to have your top two fingers contorted behind the controller to grip the back. I couldn't imagine doing that for any extended period of time.
Yeah, I just tried the "comfortable" position as seen in those photos and disagree heavily. That feels awful.

As with most people, my fingers naturally rest on the shoulder buttons.

DJ_Lae

Small controllers or handhelds with shoulder buttons are uncomfortable - I can't disagree with that. The Vita is an abomination in that regard, I had to go out and buy grips for it.

Other controllers, though...not at all. I actually grew to appreciate the Xbox One controller, where I initially hated its shoulder buttons. But they're designed in such a way that you need only the slightest of movements up from the trigger to press them, and with the middle segment of your index finger too. They're great.

The only one I find somewhat uncomfortable is the Dual Shock 2/3, as there is relatively little controller to hang onto at the bottom. And to be fair, the problems with those controllers (especially the DS3) are the triggers, not the shoulder buttons.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I would sooner be rid of face buttons.

I played a lot of amplitude tho.

also, i like the power glove.

For me I played alot of Frequency and got used to it then. Amplitude was pure awesome though and helped me more on getting so used to it that I broke the track for R2 and would end up sticking.

Top Bottom