• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate this trend of jrpgs being dumb easy

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
1st game I ever sold (and only game I've sold so far) was ni no kuni 2. So easy, I pressed a and win. Great art style, but what's the point? My friends said I was wrong, but months later it gets a difficulty mode, I must not have been that crazy

Now I'm trying dragon quest 11 s, lovely game. Looks pretty, nice music, nice characters so far, basic story (so far), but I don't see how I spend 100 hours smashing a to win. Really a shame. Hate this new trend. And this is with draconian quests on.

I looked online and the sentiment is that even with all draconian quests on, and skipping monsters... It's still too easy. Really a shame

If only more games were like xeno (I'm biased lol), but yeah

Is Arise a bit of a challenge? Or also a cake walk?

How about persona 5 royal?

I'm debating trying those

Not all games need to be elder ring, but at least get my health under 50% once in a while, killing 1 character here and there would be nice too lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Then play games like Shin Megami Tensei V, that game might give you challenge you want.
shin-megami-tensei-v-cover.cover_large.jpg

Or try SRPG like Triangle Strategy.

6000204642378.jpg

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Games need a balance mode.
Old games used to have different tier, which suited your level.
But since casuals took over the market, most games these days went with normal mode.
There is no challenge like old games. Health is too much, that you feel like you don't need to risk anything at all.

Usually JRPGs become pretty challenging for me if I don't spend time any time to grind or do sidequests, but I agree that overall they have become a bit easier over the years.

Also sometimes they are really easy and then have that one weird boss who suddenly kills you and your party multiple times in an odd spike of difficulty. It's like the devs are teasing that they could make things harder but instead don't.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
But since casuals took over the market, most games these days went with normal mode.
There is no challenge like old games. Health is too much, that you feel like you don't need to risk anything at all.
Yep. And I'm not asking for torture. Just decent, fair challenge. I think xeno nails it. But lately I try a new game and it's press A to win. Like who likes that. Not use 1 brain cell to play? I thought gameplay was the main feature of a rpg, there's no game play loop if even bosses can't touch me, and I'm not even trying to be op lol quite the opposite

AmuroChan

This is why I like the Trails games. If you want to be a noob, you can play it on easy. If you want a challenge, play it on nightmare.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Man I've only heard good things about dragon quest 11 s, like 9/10, 10/10 game

But this issue alone for me, makes it not be able to go above a 5/10. I don't get it

Last edited:
1st game I ever sold (and only game I've sold so far) was ni no kuni 2. So easy, I pressed a and win. Great art style, but what's the point? My friends said I was wrong, but months later it gets a difficulty mode, I must not have been that crazy

Now I'm trying dragon quest 11 s, lovely game. Looks pretty, nice music, nice characters so far, basic story (so far), but I don't see how I spend 100 hours smashing a to win. Really a shame. Hate this new trend. And this is with draconian quests on.

I looked online and the sentiment is that even with all draconian quests on, and skipping monsters... It's still too easy. Really a shame

Not all games need to be elder ring, but at least get my health under 50% once in a while, killing 1 character here and there would be nice too lol
Yes! I hate this too.

Yep. And I'm not asking for torture. Just decent, fair challenge. I think xeno nails it. But lately I try a new game and it's press A to win. Like who likes that. Not use 1 brain cell to play? I thought gameplay was the main feature of a rpg, there's no game play loop if even bosses can't touch me, and I'm not even trying to be op lol quite the opposite
I love how Xeno lets you choose what part of the gameplay is going to be more challenging. I hope more RPGs follow suit.

Give us more fucked up bosses like Xenogears, Vanilla playthrough. Where I constantly felt unprepared. Devs need to learn how to be dicks, again. Also, don't hire people who were previous "game journalists". Lmao.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I love how Xeno lets you choose what part of the gameplay is going to be more challenging. I hope more RPGs follow suit.
Yep, and you can raise your lvl if you want. But I never did. You can also remain under leveled and it means something. If I'm 14 going against a lvl 16, it's hard but doable, or go to lvl 16 and be fair. If a monster is red, you'll be destroyed, if yellow a challenge.

You can choose to grind and be op, but it's just that a choice. Choosing to be under level, right in the middle, or over leveled, actually means something. And honestly you can be op and fight a monster with a specific trait that negates your squad build, and it might still push back on you even if you're a little op

But it never feels unfair

lachesis

My preference is one that allows OP your opponents easily only if you put in time and grind... and also having difficulty level accessible.
As a slowpoke myself - I tend to overgrind and defeat the boss like in 2 hits. I actually don't mind it much.
It's not about the challenge of the battle - but the rewards and things I can do with the loot/money etc - than the battle itself in most cases.

For example, not true JRPG - but something like Castlevania SOTN. I end up being over-powered due to trying to get the rare item drops and fill up the enemy encyclopedia.
Many RPGS - I tend to push everything as far as humanly possible (side story, quests, item upgrades etc) before moving on... so TBH, I actually prefer to have faster level ups with better rewards to speed up the process - because it's the time that I don't have in real life... :(

Something like Dragon Quest 11 - getting that hidden boss and all was pretty challenging. However that challenge level felt a bit scripted and artificial.
Persona series also have hidden bosses that are absurdly powerful too... It's not like the creators don't know how to make challenging game - but I think they are trying to not to frustrate the player - but leaving that hidden challenge for the hardcore players.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
My preference is one that allows OP your opponents easily only if you put in time and grind... and also having difficulty level accessible.
As a slowpoke myself - I tend to overgrind and defeat the boss like in 2 hits. I actually don't mind it much.
It's not about the challenge of the battle - but the rewards and things I can do with the loot/money etc - than the battle itself in most cases.

For example, not true JRPG - but something like Castlevania SOTN. I end up being over-powered due to trying to get the rare item drops and fill up the enemy encyclopedia.
Many RPGS - I tend to push everything as far as humanly possible (side story, quests, item upgrades etc) before moving on... so TBH, I actually prefer to have faster level ups with better rewards to speed up the process - because it's the time that I don't have in real life... :(

Something like Dragon Quest 11 - getting that hidden boss and all was pretty challenging. However that challenge level felt a bit scripted and artificial.
Persona series also have hidden bosses that are absurdly powerful too... It's not like the creators don't know how to make challenging game - but I think they are trying to not to frustrate the player - but leaving that hidden challenge for the hardcore players.
Balance is key, as a new dad I dont have much time either. I'm talking about extremes, like dumb easy. I'm okay with dying at least ONCE or twice you know lol

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Arise will kick your ass. The game is not at all easy in normal and it gets significantly harder in hard, specially on boss fights. Anyone that says otherwise haven’t played the game or played it on easy.

Last edited:

Belthazar

The combat gets more interesting and challenging (outright difficulty for the bosses) when you're in a point where your characters actually have the tools to fight back (skills, buffs, weapons, etc). Wouldn't make that much sense to have ludicrous challenges with your characters not being able to do much yet.

Cake walk on anything below Hard, but bosses take forever due to a bloated HP on any difficulty... so sometimes it's challenging to stay alive if you don't have enough resources. Still a good game, the combat is pretty engaging.

VERY easy compared to vanilla, but still a nice enough challenge in Hard. Merciless is ridiculously easy if you know what you're doing tho (it's supposed to be harder due to a halved exp and money gain, but they also triple the weakness + technical damage [to enemies and your party])

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
The combat gets more interesting and challenging (outright difficulty for the bosses) when you're in a point where your characters actually have the tools to fight back (skills, buffs, weapons, etc). Wouldn't make that much sense to have ludicrous challenges with your characters not being able to do much yet.

Cake walk, on anything below Hard, but bosses take forever due to a bloated HP on any difficulty... so sometimes it's challenging to stay alive if you don't have enough resources. Still a good game, the combat is pretty engaging.

VERY easy compared to vanilla, but still a nice enough challenge in Hard. Merciless is ridiculously easy if you know what you're doing tho (it's supposed to be harder due to a halved exp and money gain, but they also triple the weakness + technical damage [to enemies and your party])
This is all so sad to read :(

BlueHawk

Neo Member
Ok, I’ll bite.

I used to love “hard, I guess by your standards?) JRPGS in the 90s-00s. You’d have to spend so much time levelling up, looking for weapons, etc just to stand a chance at bosses.

In the last 5 years I’ve noticed two new trends for JRPGS, one is a difficulty slider so everyone is happy, and the other is a less grindy choice so you can potentially beat the game without much extra side content, or do side content to make it easier.

I wish JRPGS did this much sooner. My time is too valuable now to be grinding for literal hours. JRPGS had to evolve in order to survive and this is how it has been done.

Shubh_C63

Isn't JRPGs challenge equates to more grind ?

That said I am glad JRPGs are not "challenging". Is there a way to play JRPGs battle so smart that it can overcome 1 hour of grind ?

Pantz

Gold Member
I don't believe you if you say you are avoiding fights and the games are still too easy. Eventually you will become too low level to beat bosses.

JRPGs can be hard for new players sometimes because they run from fights all the time and don't always explore everywhere to find every treasure. If you want a little more difficulty, try to emulate that.

A lot of times in JRPGs I'll collect only 1 of each piece of equipment, like when you get to town and you could buy 4 bronze swords for everyone, I just get 1 and the others will have to be happy with iron and wood and bare fists until i find another sword. It adds just a little bit of challenge and makes the inventory a little more interesting. Sometimes I'll assign my skill points randomly too.

It's your own fault for being too familiar with how those games work. By giving yourself some challenges and avoiding grinding you can find the sweet spot for the difficulty that you want.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If the game is already 40+ hours long, the last thing I want is to have to replay several hours of it because it requires constant attention not to be wiped out by the simplest mobs. It’s acceptable in action-oriented games like Souls, much less in your typical DQ-derived JRPG. Stuff like SMT and Persona is an acquired taste and it’s perfectly fine that it exists for the type of crowd that appreciates that kind of challenge, but they’re relatively niche for a reason.

Give us more fucked up bosses like Xenogears, Vanilla playthrough. Where I constantly felt unprepared.
Fine, but don’t put unskippable scenes before those bosses. The memory of that back-to-back fight with Ramsus and Miang in disc 2 of Xenogears is still with me every time I think about replaying that game.

If the game is already 40+ hours long, the last thing I want is to have to replay several hours of it because it requires constant attention not to be wiped out by the simplest mobs. It’s acceptable in action-oriented games like Souls, much less in your typical DQ-derived JRPG. Stuff like SMT and Persona is an acquired taste and it’s perfectly fine that it exists for the type of crowd that appreciates that kind of challenge, but they’re relatively niche for a reason.

Fine, but don’t put unskippable scenes before those bosses. The memory of that back-to-back fight with Ramsus and Miang in disc 2 of Xenogears is still with me every time I think about replaying that game.

Son of a... I want more of that, but at the same time, because you took the time to reply to my post, I want to meet you half way!

Xeaker

Now I'm trying dragon quest 11 s, but I don't see how I spend 100 hours smashing a to win. Really a shame. Hate this new trend. And this is with draconian quests on.

Wtf? I played with draconian quests on and you can't win with just button smashing lol. That's a lie :D
Show me how you beat the painting boss with just choosing attack lol

But yes games in general are piss easy and I always play everything on hardest difficulty if properly balanced.

Fuz

Banned
The difficulty is now just "how much you spent", for many games.
This is another reason why whales are shit and a cancer to gaming as a whole, and *not* the guys paying to support the game you like.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Obviously beaten by Danjin but the mainline SMT games are all a challenge - moreso than the Persona series.

Disgaea also gets really challenging, particularly in post game.

NahaNago

Yeah, I kinda wish the leveling was faster at times with these games since I tend to grind until I can one shot everything and then move on. I also try to do all the sidequest I see but considering how much I usually grind the side quests don't really do much with the exp

Having hidden bosses and trials be challenging I think would be great for those who are in it for the challenge. I just want to enjoy the world, music, its characters, and the story.

Exactly. They make the games easier and easier until you need to be basically brain dead in order to feel somewhat of a challenge, while at the same time - because they're so easy - devs need to make these games bigger and longer, which drags everything out and games become boring snoozefests with tons of filler and garbage in them. Give me hard and challenging, but short games. A new player gets a decent challenge (and thus takes a while to complete it), but a "pro" can finish everything in 4-5 hours.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
So don't level up, use equipment or end game spells.
Not every game needs to be a Miyazaki simulator.
I don't want an elder ring, just a game that pushes back at least a LITTLE bit. I'm concerned, as I've read online from people that beat it that they were still having 0 issues beating bosses avoiding other monsters

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Yeah, I kinda wish the leveling was faster at times with these games since I tend to grind until I can one shot everything and then move on. I also try to do all the sidequest I see but considering how much I usually grind the side quests don't really do much with the exp

Having hidden bosses and trials be challenging I think would be great for those who are in it for the challenge. I just want to enjoy the world, music, its characters, and the story.
I can't enjoy the rest of the game, like world, music, characters, story, if the most important part of a game (for me at least), gameplay, is simply non existent. The rest is cherry on top, but gameplay is king.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I think the problem lies in how the turned-based battle system struggles to keep up with modern games and the more open nature of games these days. When turn-based systems lack challenge, all the options about what skills to use, when to buff your units, and what items to use, become pointless, rendering the game boring in the long run as it barely matters what you choose.

I don't care if a game is hard or not as long as the systems are fun to use, but turn-based battle systems are usually tedious as fuck without challenge.

It's normal these days that the first 10 hours are the most challenging and the rest of the game is too easy as the game can't keep up with all the extra activities that level you up.

I'm having the same issue with Dragon Quest 11, after a while the difficulty seems to disappear and the game becomes a button masher.

Top Bottom