• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have $20 on the Switch Eshop. What game should I get?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
source.gif

Looks fun but ultimately ordinary. I was wondering if I could find some real gems like Hollow Knight

It's not ordinary. Single player isn't the best, it's a good quick run through though. Local multiplayer with friends is the real reason to play. So fun. In fact, besides the first one, there isn't another game like it at all. Ordinary it ain't.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dragon Marked for Death is awesome. For $14.99 you get the base game and two characters. The two extra characters (Shinibi and the mage) are $14.99. But it's a very good game. It's made by the Mega Man team. You can level up and change equipment. The bosses can be tough. I bought the extra characters later on because the Shinobi makes it easier to solo.

GAMETA

Banned
Dragon Marked for Death is awesome. For $14.99 you get the base game and two characters. The two extra characters (Shinibi and the mage) are $14.99. But it's a very good game. It's made by the Mega Man team. You can level up and change equipment. The bosses can be tough. I bought the extra characters later on because the Shinobi makes it easier to solo.

Hmmm, thanks, but I dunno... looks kind strange and bland

GAMETA

Banned
It's not ordinary. Single player isn't the best, it's a good quick run through though. Local multiplayer with friends is the real reason to play. So fun. In fact, besides the first one, there isn't another game like it at all. Ordinary it ain't.

I guess you're right, ordinary is not the right word... but it looks like one of those games I'll never play more than once.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Looks visually amazing, but I'm done with the "art games", specially the waking sim ones... I want something to play, ideally challenging.
But its not "walking sim" at all or we have different idea whats a "walking sim" are.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

zenspider

I already have Hollow Knight.

This made me happy.

Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, and Celeste are required reading, The Messenger and Odallus are superb and from the same gene pool as Hollow Knight.

If tactics is your jam, it doesn't get better than 'Into The Breach'. It recently passed Final Fantasy Tactics in my HeadRankings.

Golf Story and Battle Chef Brigade are great games if you're looking for something novel, and both the Wonder Boy progeny (Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy) are fantastic.

If yoy're digging the old school revival, Blaster Master Zero and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon are both great and cheap.

There's some retail games on sale you can nab, but that's less fun to recommend.

GAMETA

Banned
But its not "walking sim" at all or we have different idea whats a "walking sim" are.
giphy.gif

Walk a lot through visually stunning do-nothing-areas, collect orbs/pages/something, then watch some cutscene and move on to a new visually stunning area where you do nothing but walk until you solve some puzzle to collect the next orb/thing/whatever...

Nah, man. I've played Edith Finch, Rime, Ethan Carter and many more, I know what to expect... I want something to play. Challenging, skills driven, bleeding fingers, I want some real game, hehe...

dottme

Did anyone try Unruly Hero? It looks interesting but I didn't try it for the moment. I plan to play it eventually:
Cmm8G_fxjRPOc0rI33AualuMy4vVMvb_.jpg

xgb-SNwmubhwlH4i5FhVa-RArQE2pys9.jpg

GAMETA

Banned
This made me happy.

Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, and Celeste are required reading, The Messenger and Odallus are superb and from the same gene pool as Hollow Knight.

If tactics is your jam, it doesn't get better than 'Into The Breach'. It recently passed Final Fantasy Tactics in my HeadRankings.

Golf Story and Battle Chef Brigade are great games if you're looking for something novel, and both the Wonder Boy progeny (Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy) are fantastic.

If yoy're digging the old school revival, Blaster Master Zero and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon are both great and cheap.

There's some retail games on sale you can nab, but that's less fun to recommend.

Already played and finished Shovel Knight and DLCs (WiiU), Bloodstained (PC), Odallus (also Oniken from the same dev, both PC), Wonder Boy (Master System) and Blaster Master Zero (NES, but never actually finished).

Celeste looks cool.

Dead Cells being randomly generated worries me. I like "real" content.

I like tactics, but Into the Breach seems a little too "simple"... Do we have anything like a Fire Emblem?

I'm not into novels.

Lol, I just noticed I'm getting old and stubborn

GAMETA

Banned
Did anyone try Unruly Hero? It looks interesting but I didn't try it for the moment. I plan to play it eventually:
Cmm8G_fxjRPOc0rI33AualuMy4vVMvb_.jpg

xgb-SNwmubhwlH4i5FhVa-RArQE2pys9.jpg

It looks awesome but I've heard it's not too good a game.

Now can you imagine a new 2D Metroid with similar real 2D art?

I'd buy Super Metroid and Fusion again if we had VC on the Switch, that'd be $20 well spent, lol.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Check out Rive, that and gunvolt (gunvolt prob a bit more expensive) are very fun. Both i have beaten 5+ times on other platforms since they are so well balanced with challenge,craziness and fun.
Kinda looking for where to spend my 999+200 mynintendo points as well, prob waiting for discounts later though.

Zephir

around that price, i would get ff9, onimusha or okami, with the knowledge that, aside ff9, they aren't very long games and they're all remasters

they're still great to play on the go

i know that there are great indies out there, but i like the "classics" more

zenspider

Already played and finished Shovel Knight and DLCs (WiiU), Bloodstained (PC), Odallus (also Oniken from the same dev, both PC), Wonder Boy (Master System) and Blaster Master Zero (NES, but never actually finished).

Celeste looks cool.

Dead Cells being randomly generated worries me. I like "real" content.

I like tactics, but Into the Breach seems a little too "simple"... Do we have anything like a Fire Emblem?

I'm not into novels.

Lol, I just noticed I'm getting old and stubborn

Into The Breach is crazy deep, in that most of your tactics are about enemy manipulation, positioning, and having to maximize turn order and movement synergy.
You have every piece information you could need to make a decision. Besides enemy spawn types (which have patterns and are from a limited pool of enemies you know), the only RNG in the game would be in your favor, and it's exhilarating when it rolls a "save".

The strategy layer for managing upgrades (that can dramatically alter your approach), and earning acheivements (unlocking new teams) is smart and addicting. There's so many possibilities for being creative and clever. I can't praise it enough.

Wargroove is the closest to Fire Emblem now. Though they call out homage to Advance Wars, it really falls in between.
It's really fun, but after 'Breach', it feels antiquated and slow. There is still stalling and attrition in the AW/FE formula, where 'Breach' feels more like a cascading chess puzzle.

Dead Cells procedural generation is really subtle and well implemented. Though it's called a Metroidvania (it's definitely not), it ends up playing more like an Old School Castlevania run, only despite your muscle memory you can't remember the layout. That said, it really is all about "the run" and the mechanical pleasure of the combat and movement. The atmosphere, sound, and design is servicable. Only the animation and 'feel' stand out.

If you like the Wonder Boy games, Monster Boy has been really fun so far. I'm about 10 hours in so I don't want to make a solid recommendation, but it might be worth looking into.

Funny you should say that...... May I suggest.....Wargroove! its spiritual successor to Advance wars / Fire Emblem. Heres the OT

Banner Sagas.
Mario Kingdom Battle is on sale for 20$ as well/ both are tactics

Also, check out Rogue Legacy and Golf Story. SteamWorld Dig 2 or Heist are neat. Cavestory is cool. Shantae is good. FFIX is good.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You seem to have more of a specific taste in game in mind; maybe editing your first post with the criteria you're looking for may help.

I included a link below of all the games for Switch that have 2+ players and range into $20 just in case you wanted to see how many titles that includes, just to get more of an idea of what's on the Switch and help clarify what you're looking for.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game...99&19.99|-|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-|-|-

EDIT: I'm also surprised no one has said Sonic Mania
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sonic-mania-switch

Last edited:
It's actually $26 CAD, but hey, it's almost the same.

I already have Hollow Knight. :)

What type of games do you like? There are a ton of games I'd recommend in that price range but no point listing them if they don't meet your criteria.

If you like puzzle games, Baba is You is original and good fun.
Steamworld Dig 2 is a good metroidvania, as is Guacamelee 1 & 2.
If you like strategy games crossed with Tower Defence AND couch-co-op , you could do worse than checking out Aegis Defenders.

Vawn

Banned
There are a TON of great indies on Switch. Personally, I wait for sales as most very frequently go on sale for 30-70% off. Also, depends on what you like. These are some of my favorite indies or smaller games besides Hollow Knight.

Dead Cell
Steamworld Dig 2
Guacamelee / Guacamelee 2
Child of Light
Rogue Legacy
Velocity 2x
Golf Story
Salt and Sanctuary
Bastion
Transistor
Shovel Knight
Darkest Dungeon

Last edited:
I love these threads - really reminds me of how many great games are out there made by tiny studios on small budgets and not associated with the usual IPs and PR jargon/marketing expectations. so much out there on switch too, its truly Vita's successor. Gonna use this thread to get a new switch game this weekend. :D

whatd you decide OP?

edit - oh onimusha! forgot about that one!

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Have you found something?

You seem to have more of a specific taste in game in mind; maybe editing your first post with the criteria you're looking for may help.

I included a link below of all the games for Switch that have 2+ players and range into $20 just in case you wanted to see how many titles that includes, just to get more of an idea of what's on the Switch and help clarify what you're looking for.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game...99&19.99|-|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-|-|-

EDIT: I'm also surprised no one has said Sonic Mania
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sonic-mania-switch

What type of games do you like? There are a ton of games I'd recommend in that price range but no point listing them if they don't meet your criteria.

If you like puzzle games, Baba is You is original and good fun.
Steamworld Dig 2 is a good metroidvania, as is Guacamelee 1 & 2.
If you like strategy games crossed with Tower Defence AND couch-co-op , you could do worse than checking out Aegis Defenders.

I haven't found anything yet :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Being honest, I don't like most indies... I don't have much time to play, so I end up being very picky.

I can enjoy any genre, but I like games with "value". Hollow Knight is the perfect example, as well as Cave Story, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, Machinarium and so on, they are "special" games.

That's the kind of game I'm looking for...

Sonic Mania seems like a good fit, but it's 66% off on Steam right now and $20 is quite a lot of money where I live...

If you guys still have suggestions, I'm all open, in the meanwhile I'll check the eshop every week to see what's on sale, lol.

Thank you!

Moochi

Rogue Legacy. The randomly generated stuff is well handled, the game is challenging but fair, and the bosses are fantastic, especially the "dark" versions.

Top Bottom