• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 9 Bitcoins, should I sell?

ZanDatsu

There was a point where I could have traded my Ethereum for 53 Bitcoin just some months ago. Really regret not going through with that, honestly never expected BTC to bounce back like it has, never mind outperform ETH after the dippening.

As for what I'd do, just sell enough to cover initial investment. Bitcoin doesn't look like it's slowing down just yet.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
kinda wish i got into bitcoin in its infancy

I am only heartened by the fact that I would definitely have sold what I had gotten the first time they were worth like 50 bucks each.

No way I'd let them ride this high. Fucking crazy bubble.

Even after all these years I still don't understand what a Bitcoin is, how it has any value, or how it's generated lol. I wish I'd tried harder to understand it but from what I could tell it seemed like some next level spyware shit at the time, especially since it was being pushed heavily by some questionable subreddits.

Like damn. If I'd have stuck to it and generated even 9 bit coins that's a life changing amount of money

47k is cool...but you know what're really cool? 470k

I wouldn't sell unless you really need the money right now or want to diversify. 47k is a lot of dough but what can you really buy with that besides a car? Wait and buy a house

Fury Sense

definitely sell.

then rebuy when it goes down. it's at an all time high right now, $5,285.84 as of writing.

not to sell now would be to expect that the price will never go below this number while you're capable of buying

Depends entirely on your financial situation and what you'd do with the money. Without knowing those details (which you probably shouldn't share online), it's going to be tough for anyone here to give you any advice that's worth considering.

Brandson

It depends. Do you want to get out and stay out? Do you want to get out and get back in? Do you want to have the most money possible a year from now?

Bitcoin just went up a good amount today, so it will probably correct a little, then go up even more, then correct quite a lot more. Do you want to risk losing 30% of its value for a chance at another 10-20% gains in the short term? Then hold a bit more. If that is too risky for you, then sell now. If you want $10k Bitcoin, and don't care what happens in between, then keep holding and don't look at it for 6 months.

I would not sell right now because of all the news and scaremongering the big financial companies are doing to cause others to sell off. Means they can swoop in and buy on the cheap after.

I'm not a financial person though, just a hunch.

x3sphere

I'd hold. I think Bitcoin, well the whole crypto market really, stands a good chance of going another 10-20x. Probably not during this run, but in a few years.

Xe4

Banned
Sell at least some of them. If/when the market crashes, you'll get NOTHING. 45k is a pretty penny compatitively.

KillLaCam

Banned
I'd sell over half of them. Then invest alot of that in something way less volatile. But don't sell them all, they might actually be worth more one day, and if they're not atleast you already would have sold most of them

How long does it really take to sell a Bitcoin let alone 9?

Couple seconds. You typically sell to a digital wallet maintained by the site that you used to purchase your currency.

To get the money into your actual bank account... eh, 3-5 days give or take. Depends on where you live and what method you're using. Some sites can do it faster than others.

I can’t imagine there would be much regret if you sell half. You will get quite a bit and still hold on to some should the market contribute to defy logic.

Talents

Banned
The amount of people like me who knew about bitcoin in its infancy but didn't buy any feelsbadman. Knew about them in like early 2011 but was only like 15 then so didn't have any money because I'd spent it all on games and shit, said I was gonna buy some when my birthday hit because it sounded "cool", never did because when my birthday hit they were like £20 each up from like £2 so I was like fuck that it isn't worth it.

Fml

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The amount of people like me who knew about bitcoin in its infancy but didn't buy any feelsbadman. Knew about them in like early 2011 but was only like 15 then so didn't have any money because I'd spent it all on games and shit, said I was gonna buy some when my birthday hit because it sounded "cool", never did because when my birthday hit they were like £20 each up from like £2 so I was like fuck that it isn't worth it.

Fml

Even worse, my boss back then was BITCOIN OBSESSED. That's all he talked about. "It's the future! It's the future!"

Alas.

TyrantII

You'd be crazy to sell but that's just me. There is no reason at all to think that this will be as high as BTC gets.

Most crypto investors will tell you that the whole crypto industry is just starting out. It's still the beginning, so it's certainly not too late. You don't have to pay $5000 for 1 BTC in order to invest in crypto.

Same investors holding 90% the outstanding shares?

Of course they say that. They need patsies to buy in so they can cash out. That's your volatility there.

Wedge7

I think its funny how the sentiment in these threads have definitely changed over time. The random bitcoin threads would get more than half of the thread saying what a scam it is, and how stupid it is etc, anyone putting money into it is an idiot. The numerous threads as it increased from a few hundred bucks to 1k, to 2k, 3k etc. The sobering thought is that it still could easily all plummet and be worthless, but still interesting to see how much the tone has shifted when you read earlier threads and now.

That and the standard "If only I had invested in it when it was only $X amount, I would be rich" posts that will probably never stop haha.

Yeah I'll echo others. I would sell 1 of the 9 bitcoins now, use it to buy some nice things and put it towards my student loans, and keep the other 8 because it's probably going to keep going up.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I am pretty sure the correct response is to hodl.

Uh, 9 * $5,000 is $45,000. I'm guessing you must not realize what the current exchange rate between GBP and USD is

I'm Canadian. Still bad math on my part but that's why I'm in the murder for hire business and not an accountant.

Yikes, I didn't realize hit man fees were so low these days. Killing people isn't ok. :/

To the OP, sell. You can always reinvest a quarter of it if it crashes later.

Yeah, I think I might right now too!

*burns journalism degree*

A general rule of thumb is to not talk about the exact number of bitcoins or other currency you have when on a forum like this. You dun goofed OP

Top Bottom