• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a Wii; now what?

Vinci

Danish
You play games on it. Difficult idea, I admit. Seems like many people around here let it attract all the dust in their apartment/home/basement/closet that they can rather than actually use it, but hey... don't be like them.

My favourites:

Muramasa : The Demon Blade
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Twilight Princess (Assuming you don't have the GC version)
Punch Out!
New Super Mario Bros
Zack & Wiki
Wario Land Shake It!
Little King Story
Fire Emblem

No particular order.

caligula13

Gold Member
i would play some great games like i do every day.

but you seem to be somebody who comes to negaf to say that his Wii is collecting dust.

LRB1983

Banned
FunnyBunny said:
there are only a few games I wanted to actually play
Any other recommendations?
Buy them?
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Resident Archives - Remake
Resident Evil Archives - Zero
Resident Evil - Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil - Darkside Chronicles

Oh wow, I didn't even know Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was out. Came out December 8th? Wonder how it sold... And it's out of stock on Amazon.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Medalion said:
Now you prepare to put a dust jacket over it.
black_vegeta said:
Now you sit back and watch it become a Limited Edition Gray colored Wii...that's from the accumulation of dust.
fronn said:
I believe the proper thing to do now would be to pack it away in your closet and never play it.
So this kind of shit is allowed here now?

ksamedi

You seem to own a 360 so I'm going to give some recommendation that are unique to the Wii experience. I think you should look into the Wiiware library first because there are some truly unique and great experiences there. For example Lost winds and Lost Winds 2, World of Goo (of which there is a demo), Nyx quest (of which there is also a demo), Final Fantasy: My Life As a King, Art Style: Orbient and if you like puzzle/arcade type games Doctor Mario. There is also a huge collection of games for the Virtual console to check out if you're more into the retro stuff.

As for full retail games and unique Wii experiences I would recommend,

Fire Emblem : One of the best strategy RPG's out there.

Zelda Twilight Princess : Also for GC but its a rare type of game which isn't copied much. An alternative is Okami Wii but I would get that for the PS2 instead.

Metroid Prime Trilogy : Has all the Prime games for a good price and MP 3 is a pretty good showcase for Wii in terms of controls.

Zack and Wiki : Great advanture game with some pretty unique puzzles

Super Mario Galaxy : Interesting concept and controls with a high budget execution, definitly check it out.

Anno Create a New World : Great controls and interface design with clean graphics. I loved it.

Endless Ocean : A very relaxing diving simulator with unique controls.

If you're into sports games you can look into,

Wii Sports Resort : A sports compilation with great controls. Especially the Ping Pong is great.

Pro evolution soccer Wii (2010) : Both classic controller support and also pointer support. The pointer gamevplay is a breath of fresh air for the series.

Grand Slam Tennis or Virtua Tennis : Both good (full) Tennis games that use good use of the motion controls.

Super Mario Strikers Charged : Really fun game. Was addicted to this for quite a while.

Some other recommendations,

Wii Fit plus : Balance Board is fun to use and some very addictive minigames in there.

Mario Party 8 : Still the best party game on the Wii IMO

Wii Music : Definitly give it a try if you ever get a chance to play it, it rocks.

Stuff like Another Code, Disaster day of Crisis are pretty good too but are only available in Europe.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Prime Trilogy and Galaxy are definitely two must have's on the system, and if you're looking at Wiiware, well *obligatory Swords and Soldiers plug here*

And for crying out loud, aren't we over "teh Wii has no games its dumb durrr" yet?

Rolf NB

FunnyBunny said:
Any other recommendations?
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

I also really like House Of The Dead: Overkill, but if you or the wife are offended by excessive swearing, you might want to pass on it. I just find it hilarious.

There are some great suggestions in here, thank you!

I play enough games to know about the big releases, like Mario Galaxy and Silent Hill. But I totally forgot about Little King Story, Klonoa and Lost Winds. Those are the type of suggestions I hoped to dig up -- the non "major" releases that had fallen off my radar.

I use my 360 constantly. Batman: AA, COD, Forza, etc. The Wii is going to be (I hate to say it) a more casual experience. Games my wife and I can play together, enjoy with friends when they come over and titles that don't require too much deep thought.

My 360 is chess. I love it, but it's not for everyone (in my life). The Wii is like Connect Four; simple fun I everyone can enjoy when no one around me has any interest in firing up Street Fighter 4.

Right now, my "wishlist" is made up of:

PowerPros
Klonoa
Lost Winds
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Wario Land Shake It (never heard of it until today, looks awesome)

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I really appreciate it. There are enough solid titles here to keep me gaming for a year; I'm actually happy I bought a Wii now!

Davidion

FunnyBunny said:
There are some great suggestions in here, thank you!

I play enough games to know about the big releases, like Mario Galaxy and Silent Hill. But I totally forgot about Little King Story, Klonoa and Lost Winds. Those are the type of suggestions I hoped to dig up -- the non "major" releases that had fallen off my radar.

I use my 360 constantly. Batman: AA, COD, Forza, etc. The Wii is going to be (I hate to say it) a more casual experience. Games my wife and I can play together, enjoy with friends when they come over and titles that don't require too much deep thought.

My 360 is chess. I love it, but it's not for everyone (in my life). The Wii is like Connect Four; simple fun I everyone can enjoy when no one around me has any interest in firing up Street Fighter 4.

Right now, my "wishlist" is made up of:

PowerPros
Klonoa
Lost Winds
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I really appreciate it. There are enough solid titles here to keep me gaming for a year; I'm actually happy I bought a Wii now!

I noticed that there's a disturbing lack of recommendations for a Boy and His Blob in this thread.

I would not overlook that particular title if I were a fan of platforming games.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Zack & Wiki, has that been suggested yet? Also any of the New Play Control Pikmins or Jungle Beat will do too.

Have fun.

Lots of recommendations already. I'd recommend Big Brain Academy - my GF really likes that one, it's good fun to play with someone who's usually not that big into video games.

There's a lot of stuff on WiiWare/VC that's worth getting. If you like platforming you will probably like Nyx Quest, Lost Winds. If you like puzzle platformers get Toki Tori.

kpop100 said:
Now you play out the games worth playing in the next month or two and then put it away in anticipation for the pile of games coming for the other systems.
If it weren't for Wii, home console gaming would be pretty much dead to me. PS3 does have Singstar (although I don't play it as often as I used to on PS2), is a good media hub and BR player, so no buyer's remorse on my side though.

Each to his own I guess but I'll never understand trolls.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'll give a list of games I have and would recommend-

Galaxy is #1, just amazing

Fire Emblem is probably my favorite game, period (I've put almost 150 hours into it and have 3 complete playthroughs), but I would only recommend it if you are a big strategy and RPG fan.

Little King's Story is a great great game if you're willing to sink time into. Recommended for strategy enthusiasts.

Super Paper Mario is really underrated IMO.

Muramasa is a good recommendation. Looks beautiful and the sword system is really addictive.

Punch Out was a real surprise. Very difficult and a lot of replayability.

RE4 Wii is a must have IMO.

RE Umbrella Chronicles is solid, but Darkside Chronicles got better reviews.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is just a steal.

Mixed on No More Heroes. I enjoyed it despite its flaws but I got it pretty cheap. I can see someone totally hating it.

Tiger Woods 2010 with Motion+ is just awesome, but only if you actually like golf.

jibblypop

Banned
FunnyBunny said:

Chess? Call of Duty and Forza are like chess to you? I would hate to think that Call of Duty is considered the thinking man's game. Seems like the perfect example of mindless drivel.

Anyways, my suggestion is A Boy and His Blob. It's much more "chess" than anything you listed on the 360 with the possible exception of the Batman game. Chess? Chess!

beside the ones already mentioned above:
Scarface. the best version is on Wii.
The Godfather is also great. the motion controls are really fun.

also there are tons of awesome wiiware and VC games.

and what the fuck at all the complete unneccassery trolling here?
since when it is allowed again?
I really hoped those times are finally over :(

Koren

John Harker said:
If you're a graphics whore, this is a good time to get a Wii...

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space: Extraction, and Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers are all super impressive visually compared to what was put out in the past on the system.
Murasama lacks in this list. Maybe it's not a technical achievement since it's 2D, but damn, it's one of the most beautiful game across all consoles.

It could indeed be a contender if you're fan of 2D games, although it's a beat'em all, and plays differently, so I'd be cautious. Paper Mario has a lot of platforming, too, and is a very good game.

I don't remember anything that have not been already suggested in the topic, except maybe Da Blob, which is an interesting mix of puzzle and 3D platforming... (it reminds me Wizball, a very old game, quite strangely but in 3D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizball )

iamaustrian said:
beside the ones already mentioned above:
Scarface. the best version is on Wii.
The Godfather is also great. the motion controls are really fun.
I'd rank the Godfather above Scarface. Godfather, although being on the more repetitive side compared to Scarface, really has great use of motion controls, they make chores like taking over shops actually fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Um... uh...

*thinks*

Shit, there really isn't anything appealing to me on the console in a long while...

I guess I would toss out:

Biohazard/Resident Evil 4 if you already don't have a copy on the fifty damn consoles it's been ported to.
Biohazard/Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Biohazard/Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team

...And, I think that's it besides Metroid: Other M.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Stuck with an SDTV, obviously.

BowieZ

Banned
Besides the obvious -- Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. Wii -- I'll definitely have to add to the love for Mario Kart Wii, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, three underrated games that often fall prey to bizarrely undeserved levels of expectation: they're all damn good with excellent music.

Then you have WiiWare, there's homebrew... get a few sports games like Grand Slam Tennis and Wii Sports Resort that use Motion Plus... the Wii's a pretty nifty tool if you want to make the most of your money.

AniHawk

FunnyBunny said:
PowerPros
Klonoa
Lost Winds
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart

It's a solid enough list. PowerPros is good. I'd also recommend the following:

A Boy and his Blob http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIJNuXxPSU
NyxQuest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIkALd6MCQ

NyxQuest has a demo on WiiWare if you're interested. Also, if you like LostWinds, there's a second game that came out a few months ago. LostWinds 1 and 2 both take around 3-4 hours to complete. I found NyxQuest to be slightly lengthier... somewhere around 5 hours long. All of them are platformers, but LostWinds is more based in exploration and similar to Metroid, while NyxQuest is more linear and similar to traditional platformers like Mario.

Also, shame on all you assholes for making me the first to mention NyxQuest.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Scooter said:
If you're a graphics whore there's never a good time to buy a Wii.

I disagree.

He states he did not own a Wii, he recently purchased one. He does not state why he did not previously own one. My suggestion was, if you held off because you enjoy really nice graphics, that fear is now gone.

The games I listed are great technically in their own right vs. what has been on the console in the past. If the last time you looked to get a Wii and saw the visuals of titles at the time and thought "ugh, these games are a less gen mess!" and then a year later, looked at Wii titles now and saw Darkside Chronicles, SH: Shattered Memories, etc, you can say "woa these games look WAY better than the last time I checked!"

It took awhile, but 3rd parties are finally starting to put great looking games out for the system.
You just gotta man up and play 'um!

I don't have a Wii, but for this year I would buy
Excitebots (arcade racer)
Klonoa (2d platformer)
A Boy and His Blob (2d puzzle/platformer)
Little King Story (Pikmin-like RTS)
NSMB Wii (2d platformer)

WiiWare: Contra Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias, NyxQuest

Not bad at all, I'd say better lineup this year than the other two consoles I have (DS/PSP). Though as I haven't played them, they could all suck of course :lol (edit: well I have finished the PS version of Klonoa)

Top Bottom