• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a Wii; now what?

I broke down this weekend and bought a Wii.

I resisted for months - after all, there are only a few games I wanted to actually play - but my wife is persistent. Like a large chunk of the Wii's audience, she is quite happy playing Wii Sports for 35 minutes and continuing on with her day. To her, it's not a game console - it's a toy.

Any who, that all changed this weekend. I played the first few levels of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and fell in love. Super Mario World to this day is one of three favorite games, ever -- and New Super Mario Bros. makes me giddy like a school girl. It's terrific.

I plan to pick up (in due time) Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart. I also am going to get MLB Power Pros 2008 soon (since the 360 is still lacking a great baseball title).

Any other recommendations?

TwIsTeD

sisko-facepalm.gif

fronn

I believe the proper thing to do now would be to pack it away in your closet and never play it.

Excite Truck
Little King's Story
The House Of The Dead: Overkill
and if you liked RE4, the Wii edition is the best iteration by some distance.

There are plenty more...With the amount of over-zealous criticism it has received from a large portion of the gaming fraternity, the Wii has managed to become an underrated console.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If you're a graphics whore, this is a good time to get a Wii...

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space: Extraction, and Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers are all super impressive visually compared to what was put out in the past on the system.

Dabanton

FunnyBunny said:
Like a large chunk of the Wii's audience, she is quite happy playing Wii Sports for 35 minutes and continuing on with her day. To her, it's not a game console - it's a toy.

I consider all consoles toys.

Nothing wrong with that.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Excite Truck is fun: good luck finding a copy.

I would grab New Super Mario Bros Wii
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Wii Sports Resort

The last two are great party games for when friends come over. The first 3 are great single player experiences.

Super Monkey Ball
Bloom Box
Rabbids go Home

These are also backup fun party games.

FWIW, I dust mine off when friends come over or when Ninty decides to put out their biannual game worth owning.

Sadist

Buy games man.

The good Nintendo games,
The House of the Dead Overkill
Dead Space Extraction
No More Heroes
Zack & Wiki
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Boom Blox
Little King's Story

For starters

Dabanton said:
I consider all consoles toys.

Nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely, same here.

OP, I think everyone would agree on Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda.

If you get a Motion+ attachment, I'd also recommend Grand Slam Tennis. I just got it from my wife's parents for Christmas and I'm loving it.

Brofist

Now you play out the games worth playing in the next month or two and then put it away in anticipation for the pile of games coming for the other systems.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kpop100 said:
Now you play out the games worth playing in the next month or two and then put it away in anticipation for the pile of games coming for the other systems.

Nice to see some things never change around here.

Jokeropia

fronn said:
I believe the proper thing to do now would be to pack it away in your closet and never play it.
Medalion said:
Now you prepare to put a dust jacket over it.
kpop100 said:
Still so much suppressed anger. It's been three years, get over it already.

big_z

Hellsing321 said:
Time to Buy the Wii GOTY. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

i also recommend this. after homecoming i thought silent hill was done but the wii game is a breath of fresh air.

tokkun

If you like challenging games: Muramasa: The Demon Blade
If you like games with no challenge: Mario Galaxy

schuelma

kpop100 said:
Hey come on now, I was even being nice, I could have said a week or two instead.

I've been on this forum for a while now and it still makes little sense why people who have no interest in a platform would go into a thread asking for recommendations and then proceed to troll.

SMG and Metroid Prime Trilogy are mandatory.

Do you have any specific tastes or do you just want good games regardless of genre?

No More Heroes and Madworld are good for a bloody over the top action fix.

Twilight Princess is a great Zelda game, ignore the haters.

Muramasa for beautiful 2D action.

RE4 Wii is the best edition of RE4, good to get especially if you missed it last gen.

botticus

schuelma said:
I've been on this forum for a while now and it still makes little sense why people who have no interest in a platform would go into a thread asking for recommendations and then proceed to troll.
Clearly they don't have enough games available to play on their system of choice leaving them bored.
Or they're bored at work. Either way, odd way to amuse oneself.

I'll leave it to others to repeat the easy recommendations and just continue pushing Little King's Story and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

bdouble

Yeah I mean cars can be toys. I mean if your not using it for anything useful and all it has in it are 2 seats and a huge engine it is a toy. Just entertainment.

Anyways yeah don't forget Wiiware or if you want VC games.

Jokeropia

schuelma said:
I guess they have to let their bitterness out somehow, lest they be consumed by it.

Balb

Do you really need to buy a console and its entire library of great games at once? Finish up Mario Galaxy and maybe ask later.

schuelma

Getting back to the topic, if the OP can elaborate on the type of games he enjoys I can make some recommendations.

Dragmire

cooljeanius said:
Get ExciteBots instead.
This. If you've graduated from early puberty, it's time to put aside the tonka trucks and go straight to Exciting Robots!

...But actually, either game is an acquired taste, so rent first. Do yourself a favor and get Punchout. And your wife, if not you, will love Boom Blox Bash Party.

Jokeropia

tokkun said:
If you like challenging games: Muramasa: The Demon Blade
If you like games with no challenge: Mario Galaxy
Getting 120 stars in Galaxy is at least as hard as the two standard difficulty levels in Muramasa.

On topic, I'd recommend both these games. Also Zelda, RE4: Wii, Metroid, No More Heroes and Mario Kart.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
when it comes out you must buy tasunoko v capcom.

For now get
dead space extraction
bloom blox smash party
rabbids go home
zack & wiki

[Nintex]

House of the Dead: Overkill
Okami
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Punch-Out!!
Zelda Twilight Princess

Just some random games there's loads of good games on the system now, honestly I wouldn't know where to begin.

On a related note,

I'm a click away from buying Little King's Story.

y/n?

botticus

[Nintex] said:
House of the Dead: Overkill
Okami
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Punch-Out!!
Zelda Twilight Princess

Just some random games there's loads of good games on the system now, honestly I wouldn't know where to begin.

On a related note,

I'm a click away from buying Little King's Story.

y/n?
Click.

Brofist

SilverLunar said:
I saw the edit! :eek:

I realized that it might not be taken as a joke, and I'm certainly not risking ban over something so silly.

Anyway, as to avoid the crying from all the little girlies in here I'll give a legit recommendation to the OP since I do have one.

Get a second Wiimote, need it for the sports games and NSMB which you are buying.

I was nicely surprised with Punch Out, but then again I was a big fan of MTPO back in the day.

Can't go wrong with RE4 or Metroid Prime Trilogy of course.

Speaking of sports games Tiger Woods 10 is fun, even if you aren't necessarily a big golf game fan like myself.

Lastly, I had a surprising amount of fun with Wii Fit. I don't really use it as a serious exercise tool, I just like the mini games.

Top Bottom