• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have an idea of a Graphic Novel based on The Janissaries and Vlad The Impaler

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 16th century Ottoman Empire, the Jannisaries were the elite bodyguards of the Sultan. Just like any elite special forces unit in history, they underwent super strict training and education in the skills of warfare and survival.
Janissaries trained under strict discipline with hard labour and in practically monastic conditions in acemi oğlan ("rookie" or "cadet") schools, where they were expected to remain celibate. Unlike other Muslims, they were expressly forbidden to wear beards, only a moustache.
Jannisaries were otherwise known as The Brotherhood of the Spoon (sounds silly, but this is why)
As a symbol of their devotion to the order, Janissaries wore special hats called "börk". These hats also had a holding place in front, called the "kaşıklık", for a spoon. This symbolized the "kaşık kardeşliği", or the "brotherhood of the spoon", which reflected a sense of comradeship among the Janissaries who ate, slept, fought and died together.[6]
This is what a Janissary looked like

6vDTkPk.jpg

Now we all know Vlad The Impaler otherwise known as Vlad Dracul (originator of Dracula) and his infamy.

Vlad_Tepes_002.jpg

Ottomans and Vlad were engaged in constant warfare, and Vlad's bloodthirst and brutality sent shivers to everyone on the Europe-Asia continent. One of the infamous scenes that can make it to the Graphic novel are:
As Sultan Mehmet approached what appeared to be a fetid balding forest of rotting trees in the distance he soon realized the horror of what he approached. They were so close to their destination – the Wallachian capital of Târgoviște -that he was in no mood for this puzzling sight. But the figures became more clear as the steeds in the cavalry grew unruly and the infantry felt ill. Before him stood 20,000 impaled bodies of innocent men, women and children, all victims of Dracula in that winter of 1462.
Another bloodcurdling scene could be
On Easter Sunday he invited all the boyar families who had participated at the princely feast. He asked them how many princes had ruled in their lifetimes. They said they had lived through many reigns. Shouting that this was their fault because of their plotting, Vlad the Impaler had them all arrested on the spot. He impaled the older ones on stakes while forcing the others to march from the capital to the town of Poenari.

There was constant back and forth between the Sultan and Vlad over control of Wallachia. Vlad's brother Radu The Handsome played a pivotal role in the final defeat of Vlad. That can serve as the main "meat" of the book ie, politics, intrigue, backstabbing, etc.

Finally, Vlad was defeated by Janissaries
In 1476 the forces of Sultan Mehmet faced the forces of Dracula in Bucharest, Romania. Dracula’s army was overrun in a blitz and all were killed, including Dracula himself. The vampire had been slain. News of this did not suffice. His head was cut off and preserved in a jar of honey and sent to Constantinople.

Here are some images I found online that could make amazing artwork for the novel:

imaplement.jpg

chrysimpaling.jpg

Now I'm not saying that the historicity has to be followed to the letter. Much like how 300 took liberties with the actual events, same can be done with this. What does gaf think? Who wants to make some money?

Actually, janissaries haven't gotten a visible fictional treatment in the Western community IIRC (maybe Turkish cinema/publishing's gotten around to it).

Don't give in. There already is so little adaptation of the Janissaries. There's more than enough room for more. Hell, you've got me thinking about resarching more awesome historical orders.
Thing is I have zero drawing skills. Just thought it would be a great idea.

Valhelm

contribute something
A biopic about Mehmed II and Vlad Tepes could be awesome. They're both really intriguing figures who grew up together, but spent much of their lives as enemies. I'd love to see that captured on film.

Azih

Tell it from the Janissaries perspective and make them the sympathetic protagonists. People don't know much about them and would make for some great fresh pop history.

The First Vampire Hunters kind of deal. Elite crack troops sent in to get Vlad himself during the chaos of the assault. I'd read that.

wsippel

Banned
Vlad was certainly infamous, but rumor has it that he actually wasn't evil or anything, and a lot of the horrific tales are completely made up. He supposedly used terror to compensate for his small force, something the Germanic people did with great success during the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest as well, nailing dead Roman soldiers to trees and shit - not because they were evil sadists, but simply because it would scare the next wave to death. And fear is a great weapon, especially if you don't have the manpower for an open battle.

How about you make a story about Leonardo Da Vinci, but in one of the chapters he randomly pops round to say hello to Vlad, who then unleashes all his vampire powers.

Oh wait, David S. Goyer already pulled that fucking trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom