• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have Emetophobia and it sucks, i'm suffering right now.

Regis

Emetophobia: Fear of vomit or vomiting
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emeto...o εμετός,irracional relacionado con el vómito.

Hi and Merry Christmas to y'all, here is my story:
Since i was a kid i always considered myselft a pretty strong person, if i ever felt the necessity to puke i was always able to pull it off without puking. Only time i puked before turning 15 years old was at 2005 christmas (7 years old), i ate a very greasy turkey and spent all the night doing you know what.
Since that christmas i endured myself to not to puke, no matter the situation. My fears were always the symptoms (watery mouth) and the act itself (chest pain, my chest hurts A LOT whenever i puke, like its about to explode), i've never felt anything if i watched someone else puke.
But since i turned 15 everything has turned to worse, at that age i got an insolation, that night i just had slight headache, but when i had my dinner containing fresh white cheese (also known as Ranchero cheese in Mexico, it also contains a bit of whey) a few hours later my mouth got all watery and i couldnt hold back. It hurt A LOT (Ranchero cheese's whey is very acidic, so it burned my esophagus).
Looks like i got PTSD from that night, since then i get too anxious when i feel like i'm overheating (possibly because i associated with the insolation half the bad things that happened) my mom also associated my sickness with artificially curdled cheese, but we lived in a rural area, and thats very rare there, so i forgot about it and starting extra care with sun exposition.
I started drinking at 18 years old (minimum age in mexico) and I've been always very cautious with it (eating before drinking, consuming water when i have the chance) so, i lived a very peaceful 5 years (from 15 to 20) but last year, last year i got insolated again, and that day i fucking ate cheese again, i ate the same cheese a week before and nothing happened, but that day the cheese felt different, saltier, so when i got sick, i was again wondering what triggered that but all my family got sick too, so i blamed cheese. That day fortunately i turned my nausea into diarrhea, i don't know how, i just hold the nausea until that turned into the feeling was that i wanted to take a shit. I was dehydrated by the end of it, but at least i didnt puke, yay!!
But 4 months ago (august) i had to arrange some business at 2 pm, so i got fucking insolated again (and the mask i was wearing just made it worst for the overheating), the day after that i had 2 sandwiches for dinner, but guess what, i decided to put some Ranchero cheese slices in them, im now living in a city, so, artificially curdled cheese is very common, i ate them at around 9:00 pm, by 3:00 i wake up feeling cramps, i burped and felt cheese flavour, so im doomed i said, got up from bed, took pepto, anti-vomit pills and some tea. It didnt work, i couldnt turn it into diarrhea this time. When the watery mouth started there was no turning back, i puked like never before, i even cried out of fear and pain.
So that brings me here, christmas, i ate some tamales (six) three of them had cheese, cooked cheese, but Ranchero cheese nontheless. That was 1 hour ago, pressumably i have a maximum of 6 hours left to present symptoms or declare VICTORY!! i've never got anxiety attacks, but i feel that im pretty close, goddammit.
Its worth mentioning, before august i ate cheese regulary, but that time my family didnt got sick, but the cheese reflux was what waked me up, so i didnt know what to blame.

team america vomit GIF

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
I just had a flashback years ago i went to a friend's home and i remember drinking water and after i finished and put the bottle on the table i saw puke at the bottom of the bottle so i asked her wtf is that and she told me her mother told her it's ok to drink this water

disgusting sons of bitches i think i'm gonna puke brb

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I had it too, but it vanished. pre-liver transplant tough me that vomiting is not a big deal since then *poof*

Jethalal

Banned
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emetofobia#:~:text=La emetofobia (del griego εμετός,irracional relacionado con el vómito.

Since i was a kid i always considered myselft a pretty strong person, if i ever felt the necessity to puke i was always able to pull it off without puking. Only time i puked before turning 15 years old was at 2005 christmas (7 years old), i ate a very greasy turkey and spent all the night doing you know what.
Since that christmas i endured myself to not to puke, no matter the situation. My fears were always the symptoms (watery mouth) and the act itself (chest pain, my chest hurts A LOT whenever i puke, like its about to explode), i've never felt anything if i watched someone else puke.
But since i turned 15 everything has turned to worse, at that age i got an insolation, that night i just had slight headache, but when i had my dinner containing fresh white cheese (also known as Ranchero cheese in Mexico, it also contains a bit of whey) a few hours later my mouth got all watery and i couldnt hold back. It hurt A LOT (Ranchero cheese's whey is very acidic, so it burned my esophagus).
Looks like i got PTSD from that night, since then i get too anxious when i feel like i'm overheating (possibly because i associated with the insolation half the bad things that happened) my mom also associated my sickness with artificially curdled cheese, but we lived in a rural area, and thats very rare there, so i forgot about it and starting extra care with sun exposition.
I started drinking at 18 years old (minimum age in mexico) and I've been always very cautious with it (eating before drinking, consuming water when i have the chance) so, i lived a very peaceful 5 years (from 15 to 20) but last year, last year i got insolated again, and that day i fucking ate cheese again, i ate the same cheese a week before and nothing happened, but that day the cheese felt different, saltier, so when i got sick, i was again wondering what triggered that but all my family got sick too, so i blamed cheese. That day fortunately i turned my nausea into diarrhea, i don't know how, i just hold the nausea until that turned into the feeling was that i wanted to take a shit. I was dehydrated by the end of it, but at least i didnt puke, yay!!
But 4 months ago (august) i had to arrange some business at 2 pm, so i got fucking insolated again (and the mask i was wearing just made it worst for the overheating), the day after that i had 2 sandwiches for dinner, but guess what, i decided to put some Ranchero cheese slices in them, im now living in a city, so, artificially curdled cheese is very common, i ate them at around 9:00 pm, by 3:00 i wake up feeling cramps, i burped and felt cheese flavour, so im doomed i said, got up from bed, took pepto, anti-vomit pills and some tea. It didnt work, i couldnt turn it into diarrhea this time. When the watery mouth started there was no turning back, i puked like never before, i even cried out of fear and pain.
So that brings me here, christmas, i ate some tamales (six) three of them had cheese, cooked cheese, but Ranchero cheese nontheless. That was 1 hour ago, pressumably i have a maximum of 6 hours left to present symptoms or declare VICTORY!! i've never got anxiety attacks, but i feel that im pretty close, goddammit.
Its worth mentioning, before august i ate cheese regulary, but that time my family didnt got sick, but the cheese reflux was what waked me up, so i didnt know what to blame.
Lactose intolerance?
Go to a doctor bro and get things checked out.

nush

Gold Member
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emetofobia#:~:text=La emetofobia (del griego εμετός,irracional relacionado con el vómito.

4c9.jpg

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
i ate some tamales (six)
How the fuck do you get six tamales down in one go? And how do you blame the cheese when you ate six fucking tamales? Unless these are mini tamales, but a mini tamale doesn't even make sense as a concept. Regardless, you should jam your finger down your throat and make yourself vomit and drive straight into that fear. You know it's not going to kill you.

I also always was fighting the feeling to puke. I had a streak going like 15 years without puking, I know the feel. I dreaded it. I could always endure and fight it but it's not worth it, lol. It's worse thinking about it than it really is, just let it go.

Mohonky

I have this, goes well with my agoraphobia. First thing to hit me with a panic attack; want to throw up or void out the other end. Great combo

plasmasd

I went 20 years without puking. Broke the the streak earlier this year when I drank 1 liter of tejava ice tea on an empty stomach. I puked a few minutes later and just laughed uncontrollably.

Regis

How the fuck do you get six tamales down in one go? And how do you blame the cheese when you ate six fucking tamales? Unless these are mini tamales, but a mini tamale doesn't even make sense as a concept. Regardless, you should jam your finger down your throat and make yourself vomit and drive straight into that fear. You know it's not going to kill you.
Yes you are right, those were mini tamales, Sonora makes the smallest and saddest tamales in the whole world.

"Regardless, you should jam your finger down your throat and make yourself vomit and drive straight into that fear. You know it's not going to kill you."
I don't know dude, my chest really hurts A LOT when it happens, i could get a heart attack in the spot

epicnemesis

I totally have the same issue. I can’t get passed the mouth watering phase 9/10 times. My body just refuses. I just lie down, get a cold sweat, ears ring, and then slowly come back to life. (I’ve literally had to have the car pull over once so I could do this on the side of the road to the laughter of my brothers)

Unfortunately one of the ten times where I’m not able to run away from it was after Indian foot. You haven’t hit rock bottom in life until you’ve had chunks of chicken tikka shoot out your nose and then had to spend the next day blowing chunks of chicken tikka into tissues. And then spent the rest of the week smelling chicken tikka vomit.

Airola

The last time I vomited was when I was 13.
I'm now 38.

That day fortunately i turned my nausea into diarrhea, i don't know how, i just hold the nausea until that turned into the feeling was that i wanted to take a shit.

This is how it goes for me every single time.

It's this WW3 battle of wills, and eventually it ends with me blasting the insides of the toilet seat with the foulest of diarrheas, and all is fine again.

This is so big of a problem for me that when I had noro virus, I still didn't vomit but ended up fighting back so hard that I fainted on the toilet seat. After that I thought maybe I should really try to get rid of this problem. I could've fell down and hit my head on the floor or maybe choked on vomit or something. But no, I still fight against it every time it happens. The fear of vomiting becomes so bad that I force myself to stop it no matter what.

niilokin

I don't like vomiting either but remember vomiting couple of times after drinking hard and it felt liberating. maybe adding probiotics to your everyday diet might let you eat the ranchero some day.

Last edited:

Regis

Okay y'all i've survived, i think the cheese wasnt much to trigger some reaction

Last edited:

Regis

I totally have the same issue. I can’t get passed the mouth watering phase 9/10 times. My body just refuses. I just lie down, get a cold sweat, ears ring, and then slowly come back to life. (I’ve literally had to have the car pull over once so I could do this on the side of the road to the laughter of my brothers)

Unfortunately one of the ten times where I’m not able to run away from it was after Indian foot. You haven’t hit rock bottom in life until you’ve had chunks of chicken tikka shoot out your nose and then had to spend the next day blowing chunks of chicken tikka into tissues. And then spent the rest of the week smelling chicken tikka vomit.
Thats a very strong will right there bro, i've just beaten mouth watering phase 3/6 times.

Regis

The last time I vomited was when I was 13.
I'm now 38.

This is how it goes for me every single time.

It's this WW3 battle of wills, and eventually it ends with me blasting the insides of the toilet seat with the foulest of diarrheas, and all is fine again.

This is so big of a problem for me that when I had noro virus, I still didn't vomit but ended up fighting back so hard that I fainted on the toilet seat. After that I thought maybe I should really try to get rid of this problem. I could've fell down and hit my head on the floor or maybe choked on vomit or something. But no, I still fight against it every time it happens. The fear of vomiting becomes so bad that I force myself to stop it no matter what.
Thats an impressive streak right there, but you are right, it gets VERY tiring, and sometimes you lost and all the effort you put into not vomiting goes to waste... it definitely hits your morale. Its a very common phobia, but very few people realize they have it, so it doesnt get the same attention as other phobias.

Top Bottom