• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have never met my fiancé's parents.

Nephtis

Eh, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It sucks that they're racist, but you're going to be marrying her, not her parents. Best you can do is to not let t get under your skin - if they ever want to reach out to you with an olive branch then go for it, but otherwise don't go out of your way for them. You don't owe them anything.

Having said that, your fiancée is beautiful. Congratulations! You two make a fantastic couple :)

zeemumu

So are they just gonna not see their grandchildren if they turn out to be on the darker side?

As others have said, their loss.

I sincerely hope OP's life doesn't turn into a real life episode of If Loving You Is Wrong. Sorry you have to deal with this OP. That's always pretty rough.

dominuece

I can relate, man. In fact, 3/4 of my serious relationships have revolved around that nonsense. I've even been threatened with a shotgun by a father.

The last one, which I truly loved most, took me to her parents' house as a response after hearing about my past girlfriends. She insisted that her parents would love me. I was hesitant, but deep down I wanted to believe her. And she was driving. While there was no weapons, her father stared into a newspaper like a statue. Her mom was cool; we were both teachers. Ultimately, my ex couldn't take the pressure, and honestly it kinda broke me on serious dating for a while.

Much love to you both because you look great together!

Been reading a number of replies and honestly think it's better that you don't meet them if they are racist. Sounds like she's saving you from having to deal with some needless conflict and stress. Nobody needs that in their life.

hopefully your fiance had changed their mind and they are more accepting of you now. good luck.

oh the other hand thou, in case if they're still racist A-holes, just get the whole deal over with and never talk to your fiance again about this matter. remember that you're marrying her, not her family and just endure through it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Update to this thread: I'm meeting them tomorrow morning. We'll see how this goes.....

It will probably be perfectly fine. My experience is that racist people are mostly racist towards people they don't know. Once they think you are a decent guy that xenophobia disappears.

Update to this thread: I'm meeting them tomorrow morning. We'll see how this goes.....

get-out.jpg

It's really their loss OP. They want to hate another human being then that's on them.

My ex wife's parents never came to our wedding. Neither did any of her siblings. F em

Socivol

Does she have anything to do with them? I experienced something like this for other reasons and as soon as my husband cut his parents off they came around. It was such a ridiculous situation and yours is ridiculous as well. They are racist trash.

Mexen

Wishing you the very best, OP. The important thing at the end of the day is the love you share with your lady. Love is a powerful force and once they see it in you, it'll tug at whatever piece of decency they have.
Keep the love flowing and all the best in life. Keep shining.

I'm ashamed to say that this movie immediately came to my mind when I saw the update. LOL.

Discourse

My grandmother didn't want my mother to marry my father because he was Black with an afro but she did anyway. My father turned out to be a way better man than all the guys my aunts had to marry since their husbands all ended up alcoholics.

It's their loss. You can't change people, just live your life.

black_13

Banned
Good luck OP. Hopefully it goes ok. I'm sure if you cared enough you could slowly change their minds.

My gf told me her dad is pretty hard to get along with as well so I'm dreading meeting him as well. Just gotta try not let it get to you.

They ended up canceling at the last minute, sigh. They gave a really lame excuse; this was actually the second weekend in a row that they've done this. If the meeting ever actually occurs I'll update this topic again. Sorry everyone.

Herne

They ended up canceling at the last minute, sigh. They gave a really lame excuse; this was actually the second weekend in a row that they've done this. If the meeting ever actually occurs I'll update this topic again. Sorry everyone.

You're probably better off really, as much as it sucks.

You've been dating their daughter for 2.5 years, you're now engaged to her... and they've canceled TWICE to see and meet you in person? How busy are these people?

Sorry to say this OP, but these two have no respect for their own daughter, let alone you.

They seem socially inept and of course racist...

I have no idea what to say, but I wouldn't even want to live near these parents, they could try to manipulate and slowly fuck with your fiance's head, or at the least: annoy her, make her miserable any chance they get. (Canceling out on meeting you, being one of those manipulative tactics) My advice is, as soon as you get married, if you have the means, move out of town, don't live in the same town or even the country as the parent's. Separate yourself from them as far as you can.

They seem truly bad people( seed) I say out of sight, out of mind.

norinrad

Don't waste your time with them ever again. Just take good care of your partner and enjoy your life together. Let them contact you whenever they are ready. Also don't let it bother you and your relationship will suffer and they will be the last once laughing. Move on

GodofWine

You can have my in-laws! HHEEEEYYYYOOOOO!!!!

But there loss, they'll come around eventually I think. Has your fiance ever 'torn into them' about it. I'd probably have blown up at my parents in a similar scenario. Good for her if she is still able to manage all this, and good on you for understanding this enough to be above it all.

BANGS

Banned
I know that feeling. I'm Irish/German and my wife's family is Italian. But luckily they got over it quickly, we're all family now...

drexplora

I would go and have a great life, and live the best that I can with my wife.
You seem to be in a great position to make that happen, make your dreams come true!

It's the only way I can think of "getting back at them", that wont in turn make you bitter :)

Good luck.

Top Bottom