• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have never played the Witcher III --- should I?

begotten

It's a decent game. The design and structure of the main missions and side content doesn't really get boring which is impressive for a long game. I suggest playing on Death March, otherwise you're never going to find yourself maximising the combats' gameplay. Game is easy even then.

The main lore sucks though' - and when you get to the major city it's a massive halt in momentum of the games' former good pacing.

I wish there was more Contracts and Side Stories to replace the back and forth goose chase.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I'm souls fan and I don't like it. I appreciate good writing and excellent side quests but I got bored quickly because of combat. And overall - to me it's like a game for adults, who wants to be "a badass guy who fucks everything thats moving". Maybe I wrong but it didn't catched me as souls game or Botw for example.
Personally I will wait for remaster (it's not far off) and will give it last shot.
I adore good graphics and OG Witcher 3 didn't impressed me even a bit in this regard.

Last edited:

begotten

I'm souls fan and I don't like it. I appreciate good writing and excellent side quests but I got bored quickly because of combat. And overall - to me it's like a game for adults, who wants to be "a badass guy who fucks everything thats moving". Maybe I wrong but it didn't catched me as souls game or Botw for example.

Weird take right there comparing 3 games that play differently, to go with the scuffed ego perception of why it's played.

Tschumi

This is the best game ever made. The visuals may be ageing in certain circumstances, but they'll be getting a next gen patch, I hear. IGNORE WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THE COMBAT, the combat is fine, and it is easy better than previous games in the series. I played this entire game set to walk. Go in with no prior knowledge if you can possibly manage it. Play. This. Game.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
In a word, yes.

It's one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The world feels so alive, the story is amazing, and honestly I really enjoy the gameplay too.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
It's okay, you can keep circling one enemy on DS3 for 2 minutes with your shield up until you get a CA Backstab, I bet that makes you feel like a badass for killing something that's moving.
It was new and entertaining in Demons Souls and Dark Souls. Nothing new in W3. I also didn't liked DS3, at all, nothing new again.

Last edited:
Hell yeah. I don't think the first two games have aged very well anyway, and they aren't very.. Accessible? Well the second one isn't bad but Witcher III is better in every conceiveable way.

The main story drags on for too long I think so for me it was a little fatiguing, and the animation is kinda bad compared to the other graphics (which is really nice), but it's a fantastic game that should be played by anyone who loves a good RPG and carefully crafted storytelling.

Rival

Gold Member
You should only give it a shot if you like things that are awesome. 2 is definitely worth a play as well but you don’t have to. 1 I could not get into.

Amiga

It's on Game Pass and with all the hype around Cyberpunk 2077 I am curious to see what CD Projekt is all about.

My only question is does it matter if I haven't played Witcher 1 and 2? I don't really know much about the series, so I don't want to dive into what seems like a lengthy game and be lost.

Any suggestions I appreciate.

the graphics are beautiful, the combat is average, but the best thing is the story, and the little stories in between.

Alan Wake

I jumped right into The Witcher III, I haven't played the first two games (although I have TW2 on Xbox 360). I'm not into open world games that much, I usually don't care for the magic genre in games or movies. And despite all this, I love The Witcher III. That says something about the quality of this game.

I didn't play 1 or 2 and dove into Witcher 3 head on.

I didn't have a lot of problems understanding the references to other games.

It's a good game and definitely worth a play through.

chikydee

Neo Member
The books they're based on are great too, btw. Recommend reading at least the first two, you'll enjoy the games more that way.

Last edited:
As someone who is incredibly hyped for Cyberpunk... I have to say that Witcher 3 sucks. I don't understand the love it gets.

It's repetitive, the gameplay loop is boring, combat sucks and it is not very well balanced. Most of the armors are completely useless, etc. Witcher vision is terrible.
Story and graphics are great and the size of the side quests is nice. Gwent is also fun.

Tried to play it like 3 times, never finished it.

luffie

If you love 3rd person games/rpg, its a no brainer op.

There's really nothing more to say except PLAY IT.

Some things might feel off or a little lackluster since it's a 5 year old game, but overall it's still a fantastic experience. Go in and take your time, enjoy the story, explore the world, do all the quests.

question OP

as a gamer, how did you watch this trailer:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The Sword of Destiny E3 2014 Trailer - YouTube

and say to yourself, "nah im not gonna play that" xD

as soon as i saw that trialer I was like "welp, that looks better than 90% of games so it's a must buy" lmao

I'm just curious what happened there. are we so different?

what was this amazing game you played in 2015, that shit on that game? please direct me to it, because i must be missing out lol

Last edited:

Enzo88

It`s one of the best games ever made, possibly the best western RPG ever made.
It`s one of the two games from this gen that cracked my all time top 10.

It`s not perfect, no game is, but I guess the answer is: fucking yeah you should.

Hugare

"Should I?"

MFer, this is GAF's GOTG

Should be banned for even asking

You don't need to play Witcher 1 and 2 to understand it. So you're good to go.

Was my first Witcher experience, and became my GOTG

I'm not very into wrpgs, so I was cautious. But It's not something like Divinity.

If you have ever played something like Skyrim, it's easy like that to pick up and play.

Just do it

Last edited:

-Stryder-

Yes.

What I would give to totally forget everything about Witcher 3 and experience it for the first time all over again.

Top Bottom