• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have now used both the Series X and Series S

And i like the Series S more. The size, looks and formfactor is so underappreciated.
Objectively, the Series X is the better deal with being 3x more powerful and having 2x the storage for just $200 extra, but subjectively the Series S is such a nice piece of tech.
It does everything the same as the big brother and as the secondary console at my GF it's more than enough. I don't need all games there (we play the Sims and Minecraft Dungeons) and a 4k/120fps HDR TV isn't used.

Microsoft was really onto something with their approach and I don't think people should judge the console without having it. I was really torn first, but now after using it the Series S is THE new Xbox.
Also you still get 2 for just $100 more than the Series X.

But I have to keep my Series X, so I think of going 1 Series X and 2 Series S
If this console goes down to $199, it'll sell gangbusters.

Why would you need more than 1 of them? Assuming they are for personal and not family use?

It is interesting to see how these digital only versions sell, xbox one SAD aka the digital xbox one werent popular here, they dropped the price to 99€ from time to time to sell them from the inventory

and Series x took few weeks to be sold out but series S is still available on many physical stores, so it doesnt seem to be that popular even with being small + cheaper

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
S is useless to me without a disc drive, yeah I get game pass and all that but the less storage and power defeats the purpose of next gen.

Seriously, some of you need to get over this lack of optical drive. If you have game pass you have 200 games right there. You can rebuy your ancient games that you have on disc for $10 on sale, and let's be honest, it's probably only a handful you really will play again. It's hardly useless.

If storage is an issue for older games, get a cheap external ssd with USB adapter. (Runs at almost the same speed as the internal ssd for older games)

AllyITA

if you don't care about playing in 4K or disc games, the series S is a very valid choice.
obviously the small SSD is a big limit, but if you have an external HDD to transfer "series" games and play retrocompat games it's not the end of the world.

as a console to keep on the spare TV/house it is pretty appealing and i suspect it will be good as a children xmas present

-Arcadia-

Banned
I never see a world in which I forgo 4K and some visual effects for... reasons. I mean, maybe on another TV in the house, but I never feel my current TV and gaming are contested to the point where I need to consider that.

That said, the Series S is the coolest thing. I’ve long had a soft spot for cheap hardware that drops the frills, and makes a really good product more accessible. I’m actually a bit envious of the target audience that isn’t so deep into enthusiast gaming to care about anything but playing really fun games that still look great.

It’s a lovely bit of hardware, that frankly, maybe gets what game consoles are supposed to be about, more than the other two. I’ve always known gaming as mainstream-friendly and entertainment center fitting devices, not $500 hardware that more resembles PC gaming and high-end AV equipment. N64, PS1, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2... this fits right in with them.

Which is not to say that high-end options are bad. Of course not. I spent a paragraph explaining I couldn’t play anything but. Perhaps though, they should be options, and not the only choice.

DESTROYA

Seriously, some of you need to get over this lack of optical drive. If you have game pass you have 200 games right there. You can rebuy your ancient games that you have on disc for $10 on sale, and let's be honest, it's probably only a handful you really will play again. It's hardly useless.

If storage is an issue for older games, get a cheap external ssd with USB adapter. (Runs at almost the same speed as the internal ssd for older games)
Why ? Maybe we also want a cheap BR player to watch movies and why should we have to rebuy games some of us already have.?
I just think it makes more sense to just buy a XsX if your going to need to add more storage , your just paying more anyway for a external solution not to mention all the added benefits of having a full power Xbox?
No need to take my opinion like I insulted your family it just that some people have different needs and without a DD defeats the purpose of that.

DustQueen

Banned
The moment Sony uttered $399 for PS5DE, XSS became the most useless and overpriced console for the generation.
PS5DE is a much better piece of hardware sure. But there are other factors.
BC из Brilliant. GamePass has quite a collection of great games to try while PS collection is interesting only for the people who did not own PS4, cos then u probably already own all of those PSCollection games and let's be honest most people who owned consoles last gen owned PS4. Including me.
Just in the first day of using SS I downloaded so many games I haven't played but wanted to try with GP. They would cost bout 250$ if I bought em. Now I have em for the price that is not much higher than PS+.
Also in some countries MS has lower prises for the games. In Russia for example games priced in $ in Microsoft Store while Sony is selling in €, which makes buying games on Xbox 1/3 cheaper.
Then u have to remember that all of Xbox exclusives ll come to GamePass day one, while buying just one PS5 exclusive ll cost u the price of 8 months of GamePass n here u go.... Not so overpriced after all is it?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Would you recommend the Series S to somebody who isn't bothered with Gamepass and just wants to buy the odd game here and there from the Xbox store? To begin with I'd just be going retro with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fable 2 and KOTOR. Maybe even Turok 2 if the port is any good.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

BEEtOPJ.jpg

AllyITA

Why ? Maybe we also want a cheap BR player to watch movies and why should we have to rebuy games some of us already have.?
I just think it makes more sense to just buy a XsX if your going to need to add more storage , your just paying more anyway for a external solution not to mention all the added benefits of having a full power Xbox?
No need to take my opinion like I insulted your family it just that some people have different needs and without a DD defeats the purpose of that.
all of this is obviously personal preference, but it is a good probability that this is the last gen with physical media, so it could make some sense to start buying digital and being able to have stuff available on the future systems.

from xboxone/ps4 i got everything digital, now i can anjoy the entire library on series X without putting discs in and i could get series S and still have the library avbailable to me.

it may be more expensive (you can always wait for digital sales) but it can be an investment

Why would you need more than 1 of them? Assuming they are for personal and not family use?

It is interesting to see how these digital only versions sell, xbox one SAD aka the digital xbox one werent popular here, they dropped the price to 99€ from time to time to sell them from the inventory

and Series x took few weeks to be sold out but series S is still available on many physical stores, so it doesnt seem to be that popular even with being small + cheaper

In the UK it's
~ 2/3 Series X
~ 1/3 Series S

Launch week numbers.
Later into the lifecycle, the Series S will become more popular.

Would you recommend the Series S to somebody who isn't bothered with Gamepass and just wants to buy the odd game here and there from the Xbox store? To begin with I'd just be going retro with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fable 2 and KOTOR. Maybe even Turok 2 if the port is any good.

Definitely the right console for the non hardcore Xbox gamer.
Even if you don't care for GamePass.

Last edited:
i have a series x set up and its great so quiet, i thought it must be broken. I have got a series s on order and must admit i'm probably more excited to set that up on the smaller tv in the snug and see how it runs. At first I didnt like the black and white contrast, but now it has really grown on me and I think its my favorite console ever in terms of form factor and look. It will be so easy to hide behind the TV, I've even seen a vid where someone mounted it to back of the TV with heavy duty velcro, br good for hiding it from the wife too, she doesn't know i've bought 2 xboxes yet. Though tbf i will be just upgrading the current setup from an original xbox one and 1x to both series consoles.

Last edited:

INC

I still think for an extra £100 series X is a better choice overall

But glad u like it

GymWolf

Lol nah.

Paying full price for a digital thing that you can't even re-selll when i can pay 10-20 euros less at day one for a physical copy with the option of re-selling the object to get even more money back is a no brainer for a shitload of people.

Until digital cost like physical (or more) a lot of people are gonna buy physical, also some people collect games and stuff.

Not everyone care about the games on gamepass or they already played all the interesting ones.

DESTROYA

all of this is obviously personal preference, but it is a good probability that this is the last gen with physical media, so it could make some sense to start buying digital and being able to have stuff available on the future systems.

from xboxone/ps4 i got everything digital, now i can anjoy the entire library on series X without putting discs in and i could get series S and still have the library avbailable to me.

it may be more expensive (you can always wait for digital sales) but it can be an investment
If consoles ever go all digital only is the day I stop buying new consoles.
Maybe a bit extreme but that’s the line in the sand for me.

Chastten

Banned
90% of people will not even notice the actual difference in power between S and X so yeah, I think Microsoft may have made the right call here.

A slick, small €300 box that plays all the new Fifa, Call of Duty, Skyrim, Madden, GTA and Minecraft games for years to come it a much easier sell to the casual crowd than a huge €500 monstrosity.

Last edited:

Kagero

"we play the Sims and Minecraft Dungeons "

What a wonderful use of new tech. Also I can't even tell if this is a troll post :|

teezzy

Banned

People like certain features which don't matter to you as much. Why should he rebuy his old games for 10 a pop digitally if he can just get a more powerful console with an optical drive? Why does that bother you?

Last edited:
And i like the Series S more. The size, looks and formfactor is so underappreciated.
Objectively, the Series X is the better deal with being 3x more powerful and having 2x the storage for just $200 extra, but subjectively the Series S is such a nice piece of tech.
It does everything the same as the big brother and as the secondary console at my GF it's more than enough. I don't need all games there (we play the Sims and Minecraft Dungeons) and a 4k/120fps HDR TV isn't used.

Microsoft was really onto something with their approach and I don't think people should judge the console without having it. I was really torn first, but now after using it the Series S is THE new Xbox.
Also you still get 2 for just $100 more than the Series X.

But I have to keep my Series X, so I think of going 1 Series X and 2 Series S
If this console goes down to $199, it'll sell gangbusters.

I agree with most of this wholeheartedly. We'll most likely end up with 1 Series X and 2 Series S in my household.

I do take slight issue with the statement that the S is the "THE new Xbox" as I don't think most people are going to agree with your/our enthusiasm for it due to its limitations. However, it does have a nice little niche and for people like myself who have a decent digital collection and want multiple Xboxes on secondary/tertiary TVs that aren't 4k, it's a great little piece of tech. I instantly fell in love with the form factor and for whatever reason am kinda more excited by it than the X. I've always had a strong affinity for miniaturized tech (I'm the guy who has been building tiny little SFF HTPCs for 15+ years, way before it was popular or easily feasible).

That said, the Series X is definitely my primary console on our primary 4K TV. I have a huge physical collection of 360 and XB1 games that I would never leave behind entirely. And I think for many people that lack of an optical drive is probably the deal breaker. I suspect MS will lower the price to $249 in the next 12-18 months and it'll really do well.

If MS can iterate on this thing and further miniaturize the tech to include an optical drive in a similar form factor in 3-4 years, that version will sell like hot cakes.

OrtizTwelve

Good to see another Series S owner here. We exist.

I feel pretty much the same way about the Series S one week after launch as you do OP. It’s impressive what Microsoft has packed into such a modern and sleek little box for the price, it’s great.

So many dumbasses on here with their comments. You would think the Series S was the power of a Nintendo 64 based on what is said and dismissed.

Newsflash: Microsoft knows what they’re doing. It’s a next gen console geared to drive adoption of game pass and digital gaming—- games will look and play just as great on Series S as Series X.... the hardware is built to specially target 1440P/1080P....

Gears 5 with the X|S upgrade looks ridiculously good.

SliChillax

So your solution is to spend more money on storage and rebuying games. At that point you might as well have bought a proper Series X and not have to worry about such things.

Good to see another Series S owner here. We exist.

I feel pretty much the same way about the Series S one week after launch as you do OP. It’s impressive what Microsoft has packed into such a modern and sleek little box for the price, it’s great.

So many dumbasses on here with their comments. You would think the Series S was the power of a Nintendo 64 based on what is said and dismissed.

Newsflash: Microsoft knows what they’re doing. It’s a next gen console geared to drive adoption of game pass and digital gaming—- games will look and play just as great on Series S as Series X.... the hardware is built to specially target 1440P/1080P....

Gears 5 with the X|S upgrade looks ridiculously good.
Series S promised same performance as Series X only at a lower resolution. AC Valhalla is not just lower resolution but also half the framerate as Series X. At least they were quick to break their promise of what the Series S is actually capable of.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I know the eco system plays part in choice. But to anybody not concerned about that, I cannot see how with digital only, XsS can live in a world where $100 more gets you a full fat PS5. Not to mention the sizeable PSPlus collection included; n/a if not an online player.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I know the eco system plays part in choice. But to anybody not concerned about that, I cannot see how with digital only, XsS can live in a world where $100 more gets you a full fat PS5.

That "full-fat" PS5 ties you up to digital distribution and its 70-80€ prices, so it's a really poor value proposition in terms of costs savings, throughout the console's lifespan you'll spend hundreds of dollars more than on the real full-fat 500$ model. And with Ryan saying that 10h spin-offs are absolutely worth that money, plus rumors about the price being initially planned to be even higher, it really puts a bad shade on the DE as the long term investment. I think even Sony knows well how bad proposition the DE is, hence they didn't even bother making a lot of those models, and they're basically impossible to find. The disc version is the one to go by, everyone knows it, if you want the full next-gen experience you have to aim for the 500$ boxes, and that makes a 200$ difference, something worthy consideration for people who are tight on budget or simply don't have a 4K TV, while XSS is a platform that's main goal is to sell GP subscriptions, nothing more.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That "full-fat" PS5 ties you up to digital distribution [insert FUD about all games being 70-80€, 10 hours, etc...], it really puts a bad shade on the DE as the long term investment. I think even Sony knows well how bad proposition the DE is, hence they didn't even bother making a lot of those models, and they're basically impossible to find. The disc version is the one to go by, everyone knows it, if you want the full next-gen experience you have to aim for the 500$ boxes, and that makes a 200$ difference, something worthy consideration for people who are tight on budget or simply don't have a 4K TV, while XSS is a platform that's main goal is to sell GP subscriptions, nothing more.

Maybe they adjusted production distribution with launch in mind where both models are almost guaranteed to sell out, you know a good number of PS users have PS4 game discs and others look forward to UHD Blu-Ray playback, and you know you are going to make more of the $499 models than the $399 ones considering that you have better profit margins in the former case (it should be quite obvious, right?). Nope, it cannot make sense... they made less DE consoles because they know they are shite :rolleyes:.

Interesting how the XSS does not tie you to digital distribution while PS5 DE does :LOL:.

Last edited:

Shmunter

That "full-fat" PS5 ties you up to digital distribution and its 70-80€ prices, so it's a really poor value proposition in terms of costs savings, throughout the console's lifespan you'll spend hundreds of dollars more than on the real full-fat 500$ model. And with Ryan saying that 10h spin-offs are absolutely worth that money, plus rumors about the price being initially planned to be even higher, it really puts a bad shade on the DE as the long term investment. I think even Sony knows well how bad proposition the DE is, hence they didn't even bother making a lot of those models, and they're basically impossible to find. The disc version is the one to go by, everyone knows it, if you want the full next-gen experience you have to aim for the 500$ boxes, and that makes a 200$ difference, something worthy consideration for people who are tight on budget or simply don't have a 4K TV, while XSS is a platform that's main goal is to sell GP subscriptions, nothing more.
Well, if we’re going to argue gaming content value. Maybe a player interested in Fortnite or Warzone will win with PS5 on that front. Pay $100 upfront, play free forever?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Interesting how the XSS does not tie you to digital distribution while PS5 DE does :LOL:.

while XSS is a platform that's main goal is to sell GP subscriptions, nothing more

Reading comprehension too stronk!

Well, if we’re going to argue gaming content value. Maybe a player interested in Fortnite or Warzone will win with PS5 on that front. Pay $100 upfront, play free forever?

Fair point, although I don't believe there is even a single person on the planet that plays just a single F2P title through entire generation, and wants to continue playing it for the next one. What's the point of upgrading the console at all to begin with?

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

S is really great, its feature set is next-gen and its cheaper than the base PS4.

In terms of architecture, its next-gen. Its just as fast as the X, it has quick resume. Its silent. It does support 120hz and RT. Games like TW3 have no texture pop in, no load times. Its quite a leap over the Pro version I have. Even though it pretty much has the same IQ.

It should have had a bigger HDD, and/or more RAM. But the form factor combined with the speed makes it a really fun console to fool around with. The X simply does all of this at higher resolutions. But I have a PS5 for that.

Shmunter

Reading comprehension too stronk!

Fair point, although I don't believe there is even a single person on the planet that plays just a single F2P title through entire generation, and wants to continue playing it for the next one. What's the point of upgrading the console at all to begin with?
Not all games are on game pass either. In fact only a tiny percentage is. Same same.

ZywyPL

Banned
Not all games are on game pass either. In fact only a tiny percentage is. Same same.

True. I guess it all comes down to people's decision, whether they don't want to spend 500$ but put themselves in many sorts of limitations instead, or pay up those 500$ for PS5/XSX and be free to do whatever.

This console will sit on shelves and collect dust once all of the next gen consoles are readily available in stores.

Causal consumers are a lot smarter than in the past. Why would anyone beside maybe parents buy this console at $299 when it has no disc drive, limited storage and weaker hardware versus the DE PS5 and regular PS5/Series X?

I don’t even think game pass is enough of a reason because game pass usually gets new games later and most casuals buy the new cod and sports games which don’t come to game pass right away. Plus the idea of most people buying a PS5 plus this isn’t something causal gamers would do.

Everyone said this console will sell off the strength of a bad economy but I have seen people have zero issue with putting down $500 for a PS5 and even series X.

I am really curious to see how this will all play out in 2-3 years.

SirTerry-T

i have a series x set up and its great so quiet, i thought it must be broken. I have got a series s on order and must admit i'm probably more excited to set that up on the smaller tv in the snug and see how it runs. At first I didnt like the black and white contrast, but now it has really grown on me and I think its my favorite console ever in terms of form factor and look. It will be so easy to hide behind the TV, I've even seen a vid where someone mounted it to back of the TV with heavy duty velcro, br good for hiding it from the wife too, she doesn't know i've bought 2 xboxes yet. Though tbf i will be just upgrading the current setup from an original xbox one and 1x to both series consoles.
There should be a GAF thread for married forum members to exchange hints and tips for hiding/lying about expensive gaming purchase from their significant others ;)

This console will sit on shelves and collect dust once all of the next gen consoles are readily available in stores.

Causal consumers are a lot smarter than in the past. Why would anyone beside maybe parents buy this console at $299 when it has no disc drive, limited storage and weaker hardware versus the DE PS5 and regular PS5/Series X?

I don’t even think game pass is enough of a reason because game pass usually gets new games later and most casuals buy the new cod and sports games which don’t come to game pass right away. Plus the idea of most people buying a PS5 plus this isn’t something causal gamers would do.

Everyone said this console will sell off the strength of a bad economy but I have seen people have zero issue with putting down $500 for a PS5 and even series X.

No. You're misinterpreting the purpose of the Series S and not analyzing the target markets correctly. You're also making the mistake assuming that the little bubble you live in is representative of the rest of the world. This thing is going to sell gangbusters over time in lots of markets where that extra $100-200 vs the other options is make or break.

acm2000

the ps5de is not the competition for the series s..... people buy the series s as a second xbox, not one single sale of a ps5 is lost, people go where their friends list is, its really not fucking hard to understand

OrtizTwelve

I believe the Series S long term will be Microsoft's best selling XBOX this generation. I think people are forgetting everyone that is on here is in a bubble, we aren't representative of the general consumer market at all.

There is so much hate on this forum towards the Series S it is beginning to border on snobbery and infantile idiocy.

Xenon

Right now the series X is going to be the top selling console do the early adoption, by the next holiday season that's going to flip. The series us is going to kill next holiday season.

supernova8

Banned

Yeah it's almost as if people forgot that nobody buys DVD movies or CDs anymore. We (gamers) are the odd ones out, not the other way around.

Top Bottom