• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have now used both the Series X and Series S

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Reading comprehension too stronk!

Sure... :rolleyes:. At least it is better than PS5 is not PS5 level or arguments I guess, but it is essentially a “PS5 DE is bad because it ties you to rental/streaming/digital distribution, XSS is good because it ties you to rental/streaming/digital distribution” ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah it's almost as if people forgot that nobody buys DVD movies or CDs anymore. We (gamers) are the odd ones out, not the other way around.

Not our fault if people spend tons of money on TV’s and then only chuck highly compressed low-to-mid bitrate Netflix streams at them instead of buying 1080p or 4K Blu-Ray movies 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Guy Legend

Seriously, some of you need to get over this lack of optical drive. If you have game pass you have 200 games right there. You can rebuy your ancient games that you have on disc for $10 on sale, and let's be honest, it's probably only a handful you really will play again. It's hardly useless.

If storage is an issue for older games, get a cheap external ssd with USB adapter. (Runs at almost the same speed as the internal ssd for older games)

Because the lack of an optical drive isn't an issue for you - doesn't mean it isn't for someone else. Not everyone wants or needs gamepass.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why ? Maybe we also want a cheap BR player to watch movies and why should we have to rebuy games some of us already have.?
I just think it makes more sense to just buy a XsX if your going to need to add more storage , your just paying more anyway for a external solution not to mention all the added benefits of having a full power Xbox?
No need to take my opinion like I insulted your family it just that some people have different needs and without a DD defeats the purpose of that.

Except you didn't say thst, you said it was useless to you without a disc drive.

THE DUCK

BEEtOPJ.jpg

Wow, witty retort. You sure proved me wrong.

THE DUCK

Lol nah.

Paying full price for a digital thing that you can't even re-selll when i can pay 10-20 euros less at day one for a physical copy with the option of re-selling the object to get even more money back is a no brainer for a shitload of people.

Until digital cost like physical (or more) a lot of people are gonna buy physical, also some people collect games and stuff.

Not everyone care about the games on gamepass or they already played all the interesting ones.

Just look at this week's games, I challenge that digital games are generally equal or cheaper.
We have watch dogs and Assasins creed already on sale, and tons of good older games on for $10-20. They all drop fast on the digital store. If you were to own one and be silly enough not to get gamepass, you have no issues.

THE DUCK

People like certain features which don't matter to you as much. Why should he rebuy his old games for 10 a pop digitally if he can just get a more powerful console with an optical drive? Why does that bother you?

I have no issue with him buying an x, I have 2 of them. But there is a time and a place where the s still makes sense, even if it is digital only.

Komatsu

The same people here saying the XSS will gather dust in shelves throughout the world would be praising Jim Ryan’s 5D chess mind if Sony had come out with a $299 console targeting 1080p. I own every single console Sony has ever released but the Xbox discourse here can get boring pretty fast.

The XSS will sell extremely well. Now that EA Play is bundled with Game Pass, parents can get a nice little box that plays all crossplats their kids rave about and they can get the children to play FIFA or Madden just by keeping their GP subscription active.

In these United States, in the year of our lord 2020, the market penetration rate of 4K TVs sits just above 30%. The crushing majority of the 12-18 demo is playing on 1080p TVs and mom and dad can get junior to play Minecraft, Fifa and Fortnite for hundreds less. And this is America, where even people subsisting on food stamps occasionally splurge when it comes to electronics. For the vast majority of the global south, 1080p is where it’s at and the lower price tag will always make the Series S attractive.

A price cut, which is sure to come, will make it an even bigger bang for your buck.

We are just not the target demographic, which is fine.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
And i like the Series S more. The size, looks and formfactor is so underappreciated.
Objectively, the Series X is the better deal with being 3x more powerful and having 2x the storage for just $200 extra, but subjectively the Series S is such a nice piece of tech.
It does everything the same as the big brother and as the secondary console at my GF it's more than enough. I don't need all games there (we play the Sims and Minecraft Dungeons) and a 4k/120fps HDR TV isn't used.

Microsoft was really onto something with their approach and I don't think people should judge the console without having it. I was really torn first, but now after using it the Series S is THE new Xbox.
Also you still get 2 for just $100 more than the Series X.

But I have to keep my Series X, so I think of going 1 Series X and 2 Series S
If this console goes down to $199, it'll sell gangbusters.
Series S is great for a bedroom. For a big tv not so much.

DavidGzz

Series S is amazing. If this were a Nintendo console with the options you have with Game Pass and all of the BC with previous generations people would be giving it all kinds of praise. But it's Xbox, the main competitor to PS, on a mostly pro PS forum so it gets shat on, lol. Fanboys gonna fanboy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Series S is amazing. If this were a Nintendo console with the options you have with Game Pass and all of the BC with previous generations people would be giving it all kinds of praise. But it's Xbox, the main competitor to PS, on a mostly pro PS forum so it gets shat on, lol. Fanboys gonna fanboy.

Yeah, Nintendo is continuously praised for using the cheapest SoC’s they can find and customising them less and less over time. If anything people complain the Switch is just too powerful for the price they ask :rolleyes:.

Certinty

I was someone who was considering only getting the PS5, instead I got the PS5 and Series X.

Honestly at first I didn’t like how the UI was the same as the One but now I kind of love it. It just works, is super fast and everything is simple to find and use. On the other hand, the PS5 UI is crazy bad and overcomplicated.

Of course there’s other reasons too but right now I’m loving the Series X way more than the PS5.

GymWolf

Just look at this week's games, I challenge that digital games are generally equal or cheaper.
We have watch dogs and Assasins creed already on sale, and tons of good older games on for $10-20. They all drop fast on the digital store. If you were to own one and be silly enough not to get gamepass, you have no issues.
Ubisoft games always get a discount very fast, they are not really indicative, and no offense but even 10-15 dollars discount is still less that what you get by reselling a phsical game when you are done with it after a week or a month, so yeah once again, physical is cheaper (if you sell your old games of course)

try to find demons or spiderman or any other big sony exclusive in discount on digital store at day one or even a couple of weeks\a month later, i challenge you.

On the other hand you have shops that make advantagious offers when you preorder from them, for example here in italy i didn't payed a game at day one more than 50 euros (instead of 70) since ps3 era because euronics (techy brand here in italy\europe) does this thing where you get a discount of 20 euros or a 20 euros psn card to spend when you preorder a game. (the fuckers decided to not do this the first year of life for the new consoles but they already confirmed me that from next year everything is gonna return like always)
and even if that didn't existed, you still have gamestop where you pay half the price if you have a recent game to get back to them, an offer only possible thanks to physical copies and people who buy them.

explain to me how digital is better in these cases? and if these stuff exist in europe, you can be sure that a lot of techy shops all around the world do the exact same, literally the only advantages of going digital is for lazy people to not move from home...

I used gamepass in the past, for me it's like a gigantic demo library, if i have a couple of games that i'm not convinced of, i try them on gamepass before the purchase, it was pretty useful when it was 1 euro for month on pc, i didn't used recently so i don't know how pricey is right now.

but like i said, it's pretty useless if you already bought the game you were interested at launch, it's not like everyone is gonna be interested in every game on their catalogue, when i activated gamepass the first time i only had like 1-2 games that were kinda interesting because the rest was already been played, this happen when you are an enthusiast gamer that mostly buy at day one without waiting for plus or gamepass to play games...
Of course they also add new games every month so the service is still gold for a lot of people, i have nothing against gamepass, it's a great value for certain type of gamers.

Last edited:
Have a Series X but the first time I walk into a store and see a Series S I’ll be buying one. Not going to chase around for one, but want it as a second console for sure. Love the way it looks and have a 1080p projector it will fit perfectly.

T-Cake

I'm so stupid. I had a Series S on order and then cancelled it because I decided to go for X. But now I can't find any stock of X. So I'd settle for an S in the meantime. But there are none of them, either! What a pickle.

T-Cake

I'm loving my Series S. I have been using it mostly for older titles so far that haven't had any Xbox One X enhancements. But I think once I've exhausted those and want to play the newer games, I'm going to need Series X. I'm fed up of PC as there always seems to be some little issue that irks me. The Series S has been a breath of fresh air - everything just works and the load times of the SSD are even faster than my PC.

Top Bottom