• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope Cobra Kai's success teaches the right lesson

Xisiqomelir

That lesson of course being that we, the entertainment-consuming public, would greatly prefer continuations of stories featuring the same characters (and ideally the same actors!) to weird-ass reboots.

Things off the top of my head from the last few years that have been worthless trash no one asked for:

-Newbocop
-Total Reboot
-Black Unscarymas
-Oldamericanboy
-Ben-urgh
-Carrthree

Now, it's not to say that an extension can't go horribly awry (I remember Robocop 3), but at least it's something new. Give us something new!

I realize that I am probably kidding myself and Back to the Future 2023 is going to be greenlit next week, but a guy can hope.

Razorback

You can get away with anything as long as you have talent and make something good.

Case in point, Mad Max: Fury Road.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I haven’t seen this series yet. Is it good ? Will it ruin the original legacy of the karate kid films ?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I mean Old Boy America got us Elizabeth Olsen doing the dirty on camera. I didn't ask for the movie, but I don't think anyone's complaining about the gift that came with it.

I'm sorry...

Last edited:

brap

Banned
The Black Christmas reboot was fun. Or maybe I think they way because I liked the actresses in it.

DiscoJer

On the other hand, you can end up like the Highlander series. Somehow each movie was a continuation of the previous ones and you ended up ruining the first. Or same with Alien 3 and its later movies.

KonradLaw

You can get away with anything as long as you have talent and make something good.

Case in point, Mad Max: Fury Road.
Yep. Hannibal and 12 Monkeys TV shows are other examples of reboots that work really well.
I think the key is simply to learn what fans loved about the original and give more of that, but also give something new, so it's not just rethread. Something new in the style audience used to love seems to be winning combo.

Wow, someone remembers that Black Christmas remake?

But yeah, reboots are almost always boring garbage, a continuation is almost always the better choice.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The new Robocop was fantastic. Certainly a very different take from the original, but philosophically rich in a way that appropriately relates to modern thought on policing and transhumanism.

Top Bottom