• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope this is the last console generation!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Cloud Gaming is getting better and better. I can say that Geforce now on my Shield TV and PS NOW on my ps4 are almost flawless streaming experiences. I think it would benefit us as gamers if all games were on one platform. There could easily be a future where all we need to access Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft games is just one cheap device to access the network.

A solution on how each could still benefit from this is each having their own digital store. It could be a subscription based or digital purchase based deal on games. All the info is kept into a central cloud.

An example: If I want to play Nintendo games. I use the set top box to access the network and there is a general U.I. I select the Nintendo Store. I could pay $60 a year to play nintendo games or pay a price to "digitally own" a game for a set price.

Another example: I want to play Microsoft games. Same as above but just in the microsoft store.

The good side of this: Most of the cost of upgrading the hardware goes away. Most of the processing is done over the cloud so we don't need to own the powerful cpu's, gpu's, etc.

The bad side of this: Too many developers having their own store. You end up paying hundreds of dollars a year on various subscription services.

qXreZ5D.jpg

junguler

Banned
you are ahead of your time i'm afraid, the idea might seem cool to some but the tech and the bandwidth is just not there yet and it won't be for the foreseeable future.

Skyr

I can say that Geforce now on my Shield TV and PS NOW on my ps4 are almost flawless streaming experiences.

Good for you I guess.
Everyone has different standards...

To me cloud gaming is still way too inferior compared to gaming on native hardware.

Stream compression and input lag are still an issue and don't meet my standards. And no, my connection is not an issue.

As I said, good for you if it gives you satisfying results but it's still far away from being viable for many others.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Some people are having trouble letting go of physical media, were not there yet.

Im a subscriber of PSNOW and have been for a while. I still DL the PS4 games I want to play. PS3 streaming is damn good if hardwired. Wifi just doesnt cut it here despite having a 400Mb line.

Stuart360

If you take Microsoft for example, i dont think they would attempt streaming ONLY until they had like 50-60mil regular Xcloud subscrptions. And that will probably be a long time until that happens. I mean that analyst company, who are supposedly really good, said that streaming will only encompass about 3% of the gaming market by 2023. If they are right, then a streaming only future is a long way off.

Entroyp

While I agree cloud gaming is getting better, we will not transition to a full cloud gaming model in the next 6-7 years.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like a future I want, but streaming is bound to be the dominant delivery method for gaming a decade from now. People think just because Stadia blows that somehow that's a wrap for streaming. Streaming owns the movie, music, and television industries already. Do you really think the tech we have for streaming is going to stop progressing? You think Sony and Microsoft are investing heavily in the technology just as an experimental side project?

A "console" 15 years from now will just be a device that helps you stream and experience games better like a nice looking PS Vita or VR headset.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cloud Gaming is getting better and better. I can say that Geforce now on my Shield TV and PS NOW on my ps4 are almost flawless streaming experiences. I think it would benefit us as gamers if all games were on one platform. There could easily be a future where all we need to access Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft games is just one cheap device to access the network.

A solution on how each could still benefit from this is each having their own digital store. It could be a subscription based or digital purchase based deal on games. All the info is kept into a central cloud.

An example: If I want to play Nintendo games. I use the set top box to access the network and there is a general U.I. I select the Nintendo Store. I could pay $60 a year to play nintendo games or pay a price to "digitally own" a game for a set price.

Another example: I want to play Microsoft games. Same as above but just in the microsoft store.

The good side of this: Most of the cost of upgrading the hardware goes away. Most of the processing is done over the cloud so we don't need to own the powerful cpu's, gpu's, etc.

The bad side of this: Too many developers having their own store. You end up paying hundreds of dollars a year on various subscription services.

I would love for this to work. Just log in with an app to what ever store and buy what u want and play it instantly on any screen you want.

techs got a long way to go but it will get there someday. Until then a laptop suits me best. Can move it around hook up to tv if I want.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I'd take it. Used to take pride in my ever growing collection of physical games. Then this gen came along and I think I have 5 physical games, hundreds installed.

Iron out the kinks, and I'm down for streaming. Just make it accessible without spending a fortune.

It happened to movies, it happened to music, it will happen to games.

The naysayers are only fooling themselves.

Abear21

Banned
Crazy talk and it will never happen!

I have poor friends... I think people forget that not everyone can afford internet every month.

I would hate to be at the mercy of internet providers to give me a smooth experience. Many live in places where streaming isn’t viable.

I hope we never see a one box future.

Cloud gaming and streaming services are shit. They are only good for testing out games. I will always buy physical media because that will always be the way to get the best possibly quality when it comes to movies and games.

I don’t disagree that the future may be cloud gaming. I’m a physical media collector myself, video games, movies, and music, but the writing is on the wall. However, I think that it will take longer than one more generation to get there as Internet access is still limited in many areas. Personally, once physical media is no longer an option, then I’m done with new games. I already have plenty of games to keep me busy.

Top Bottom