• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope this is the last console generation!

Polelock

Can you imagine if we actually get to that point. Sony pays for exclusivity rights to the 4k bandwidth. I can see it being a real possibility unfortunately.

Diddy X

Even if I don't plan to buy another console, investments in videogame tech for consoles indirectly benefits PC gaming.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Cloud Gaming is getting better and better. I can say that Geforce now on my Shield TV and PS NOW on my ps4 are almost flawless streaming experiences. I think it would benefit us as gamers if all games were on one platform. There could easily be a future where all we need to access Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft games is just one cheap device to access the network.

A solution on how each could still benefit from this is each having their own digital store. It could be a subscription based or digital purchase based deal on games. All the info is kept into a central cloud.

An example: If I want to play Nintendo games. I use the set top box to access the network and there is a general U.I. I select the Nintendo Store. I could pay $60 a year to play nintendo games or pay a price to "digitally own" a game for a set price.

Another example: I want to play Microsoft games. Same as above but just in the microsoft store.

The good side of this: Most of the cost of upgrading the hardware goes away. Most of the processing is done over the cloud so we don't need to own the powerful cpu's, gpu's, etc.

The bad side of this: Too many developers having their own store. You end up paying hundreds of dollars a year on various subscription services.
'Digitally own'

Well theres an oxymoron if ever I've read one. Why are people so willing to bend over and give up ownership of anything physical?

When did it become a dirty word to actually 'own' things?

Stuart360

Even if you love streaming, why would you want consoles to end?, why not both?. Microsoft have said Xcloud is just an option for people that want it, and hopefully it stays like that.

Coreyinthe504

Neo Member
I tried shadow blade which was better than i expected honestly very playable with a direct connection the problem was the colors were like dull and i couldn't fix it so i got rid of my subscription and bought a gaming pc and i'm happier than ever with that.

Susurrus

And here I was the other day when my internet was down all day and I just wanted to play a game I had purchased but not downloaded. Oh well I could play another game, but in the environment you described I would have been totally fucked.

Not to mention if I am on a plane, or in a hotel, or wherever else.

Or maybe I'm deployed and don't have strong enough internet (I won't be by then but someone will).

No thanks.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
So... because you (a very small minority of opinion) do not want to buy consoles.... you want to deny everyone else (the majority by far) the freedom to buy them!?

Do you happen to collect non-allied side war memorabilia from pre 1945?

Consoles will always be much bigger than streaming for games. Console gaming is growing at a rate of 7% and it is a down year.... so it could be over 10% some years.

As you admit yourself, streaming would result in many different services from every publisher... making gaming fragmented and expensive.... which actually makes a console more desirable as a 'one stop shop' for every game to be available on a unified platform and for great exclusives......

Rayderism

The day gaming becomes all streaming/cloud (whatever) and no longer uses dedicated hardware to play them is the day I start catching up on my extensive backlog of games I've collected over the last 40+ years.

yurinka

PlayStation and Nintendo are making a ton of money with their current consoles, so make sures they will make more consoles after the known ones.

Streaming will need a decade or so to be an important part of the market, because its technology still needs a lot of work in terms of latency and so on for some key genres which will remain as mostly non-streaming genres for a while, and in most places of the world there isn't a good enough connection, and the 5G coverage first will need many years to have a decent % of the earth covered (the 4G still has a lot of work to do) and still isn't good enough. And on top of that, many countries have data cap limits which is a no-no for game streaming.

Right now the mobiles games generate like half of the gaming revenue, and F2P games including the ones for PC or consoles more than the half of the market. But it doesn't mean that the consoles market shrinked these years: the opposite, they have been growing in revenue year after year since decades ago and it's expected to continue growing (but F2P and mobile games grow faster).

I expect that mostly due to PS5 huge success and its next gen PS Now streaming strategy will make streaming grow during this gen but won't be even a 10% of the gaming revenue at the end of the PS5 lifetime (that is late 2030 aprox.). But yes, since gaming will continue growing the next 10 years, 10% of the gaming revenue will be a shit ton of money, and beyond that after PS6 or PS7 it may become the main gaming platform finally merging all gaming devices (PCs, consoles, mobiles, tablets, tvs or any futuristic devices that may appear in the future like awesome - maybe holographic- projectors, decent AR glasses and so on).

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

No! God please do not let it happen. I just do not want it in its current iteration, but inevitably cloud gaming tech will catch up and will match local hardware speeds, a new medium will be invented someday, and streaming for games will be standard, it will come to pass someday.... until that day arrives i will keep buying consoles. Right now i am more worried about humanity not inventing flying cars and lighting fast transportation like the one seen in The Fly movie.

Last edited:
Nah. I'd rather have a console. I'm not interested in cloud gaming. We have enough streaming services to pay for. We don't need a bunch of video game streaming services too.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The roasting in this thread is a true sight to behold.

3Ic3.gif

If any thing it would be pc that would replace physical consoles.
Streaming will always be a joke when compared to dedicated hardware.

They will coexist. There is a market for PC, cloud and mobile gaming. While console gaming isn't exactly "declining", it certaintly isn't growing. At some point companies won't bother anymore producing these boxes, save themselves a lot of headaches and just release their shit on streaming platforms and as digital licences for Steam etc.

Veysetia

Cloud Gaming is getting better and better. I can say that Geforce now on my Shield TV and PS NOW on my ps4 are almost flawless streaming experiences. I think it would benefit us as gamers if all games were on one platform. There could easily be a future where all we need to access Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft games is just one cheap device to access the network.

A solution on how each could still benefit from this is each having their own digital store. It could be a subscription based or digital purchase based deal on games. All the info is kept into a central cloud.

An example: If I want to play Nintendo games. I use the set top box to access the network and there is a general U.I. I select the Nintendo Store. I could pay $60 a year to play nintendo games or pay a price to "digitally own" a game for a set price.

Another example: I want to play Microsoft games. Same as above but just in the microsoft store.

The good side of this: Most of the cost of upgrading the hardware goes away. Most of the processing is done over the cloud so we don't need to own the powerful cpu's, gpu's, etc.

The bad side of this: Too many developers having their own store. You end up paying hundreds of dollars a year on various subscription services.

Are you aware that not everyone lives in one of the major cities and doesn’t have google fiber? Until the infrastructure is built to sustain online all the time it’s not an option to even consider.

From a business perspective this doesn’t make sense either. They make more money with the current setup I promise you they wouldn’t do it if it didn’t make money, they’d find another way. I like the notion, but it’s not reasonable or from an informed perspective.

This "ideal" cloud solution only looks at gaming at the surface level which is the front end of the game experience. Anyone who observed what happened to EPIC in the apple/android store should be in full alert of the reality that is going to fall with the possibility that they will lose access to their games because of some legal arbitration. Say nothing of the Terms of Service that can be incredibly one-sided to favor the publisher.

All this will encourage is more and more emulation, piracy and eventually leaving the industry by way of the mobile phone games; the only market that will see it through irrelevance - the casual audience.

Which will leave the gaming industry to the niche, steam and catching up with backlogs that we've missed.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
IT is really hilarious the butt hurt in this thread. I stick to my original arguement. The game industry is going in the direction I stated any way. Too many in denial.

DryvBy

Are you unaware PC hardware has generations too? It shouldn't end because then we get complacent with mediocre graphics and internet people game knighting their favorite devs.

No, generations shall continue. Your king has spoken.

MiguelItUp

As much as I'm a fan of PC I always want consoles to be present. I think cloud gaming is a neat idea, especially when we get to a point where it's the best it can be.

That being said, I NEVER want to live in a world where cloud gaming replaces consoles.

Shmunter

How'd that work out for Google Stadia?
I actually figured stadia can’t fail. The might of Google advertising, attaching stadia to gameplay videos on YouTube, click a button and you’re playing, etc.

Even with all that at their disposal it’s gone nowhere. Streaming just ain’t happening for another decade or so and this was the ultimate test.

I actually don’t think people are interested playing console games on mobile. They wasn’t simple touch experiences while killing time. Not to mention if Apple doesn’t heed, its DOA for the foreseeable future. Not to mention VR is a no go which will become bigger as wearables become more convenient.

Last edited:

Rac3r

OP, do you play any competitive games (racers, shooters, etc) that require minimum input lag? What's your internet plan?

I haven't done much game streaming (other than remote play for some RPGs), but I'd imagine that you'd need a gigabit plan to have a completely stable/enjoyable experience. As far as I know, most places in the world don't even have the infrastructure in place to support it.

What makes you think game streaming will become the standard in <10 years when a large portion of gamers are still suffering with subpar connections/speed?

12Dannu123

So... because you (a very small minority of opinion) do not want to buy consoles.... you want to deny everyone else (the majority by far) the freedom to buy them!?

Do you happen to collect non-allied side war memorabilia from pre 1945?

Consoles will always be much bigger than streaming for games. Console gaming is growing at a rate of 7% and it is a down year.... so it could be over 10% some years.

As you admit yourself, streaming would result in many different services from every publisher... making gaming fragmented and expensive.... which actually makes a console more desirable as a 'one stop shop' for every game to be available on a unified platform and for great exclusives......

Do you have direct proof that console gaming is growing? All the acts point to consoles being in decline in many Asian markets.

Bryank75

Banned
Do you have direct proof that console gaming is growing? All the acts point to consoles being in decline in many Asian markets.

And specifically for Asia... significant growth forcasted;

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If games go rental only, whether that's through digital downloads or streaming, or some other anti consumer scheme, I will stop playing games

Top Bottom