• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought a Series S...and I don't regret it one bit

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
steve carell GIF

Not now but once next gen games dominate the market Series S will have hard times..
Depends on where the bottlenecks are this gen, but if it's down to CPU, it'll have no problem; if it's GPU, that's harder to predict. That's like predicting Xbox Series X or PS5 will have a hard time with future software designed from the ground up, either because of the lack of "Sony custom silicon" or because the lack of a "pure RDNA2 implementation like the Xbox". Jury's still out on those.

It might actually get better/easier, it might also get worse. But this will be a 1080p30 console through and through on AAA Titles, and that's fine IMO. And the horsepower is most likely enough to pull it off with relative ease (relative ease =/= what developers bitch about regarding TFlops and/or lack of RAM - as there won't be a magic switch here).

I feel the "Hard Times" you mention will be defined by how well it sells. Right now, PS5 is the lead platform, but lead platform is usually the one with the bigger install base. It's part of why the Xbox One on top of being less performant than PS4, struggled so much - had it sold better, developers would have had to pour a different kind of resources into overcoming it's bottlenecks other than reducing everything outright. More games would hit 1080p, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I was considering picking up the Xbox series X, to go along with my PS5, probably pick it up once Halo infinite gets a release date.

DESTROYA

I was thinking of doing the same OP but then I woke up, but seriously if the S had a Disc Drive to be backwards compatible with older Xbox games I would consider it too .

It seems like great console for people with a smaller TV or who sit further away, or who just don't care much about resolution. The limited storage is a bigger problem, but that might not be an issue either depending on how they use the console.

KAL2006

Banned
Series S seems like rip in comparison to PS5 Digital Edition. And even if you wanted a Xbox system Series X is way better value for money. The extra 500GB and better graphics goes a long way over a measly $200.

Alebrije

Depends on where the bottlenecks are this gen, but if it's down to CPU, it'll have no problem; if it's GPU, that's harder to predict. That's like predicting Xbox Series X or PS5 will have a hard time with future software designed from the ground up, either because of the lack of "Sony custom silicon" or because the lack of a "pure RDNA2 implementation like the Xbox". Jury's still out on those.

It might actually get better/easier, it might also get worse. But this will be a 1080p30 console through and through on AAA Titles, and that's fine IMO. And the horsepower is most likely enough to pull it off with relative ease (relative ease =/= what developers bitch about regarding TFlops and/or lack of RAM - as there won't be a magic switch here).

I feel the "Hard Times" you mention will be defined by how well it sells. Right now, PS5 is the lead platform, but lead platform is usually the one with the bigger install base. It's part of why the Xbox One on top of being less performant than PS4, struggled so much - had it sold better, developers would have had to pour a different kind of resources into overcoming it's bottlenecks other than reducing everything outright. More games would hit 1080p, that's for sure.

Well if someone is fine with 1080 30 fps console series S is good. I think that for $100.00 extra bucks PS5 digital is the best "cheap" next gen console. But also depends of your favorite games... Sony library vs Microsoft.

Honestly just watching how Series S performs on current cross gen games does not gives good vibes...but again is a good console to get in to the "next gen" train...

Series S seems like rip in comparison to PS5 Digital Edition. And even if you wanted a Xbox system Series X is way better value for money. The extra 500GB and better graphics goes a long way over a measly $200.
$200 to some people is a lot of money even if it's measly to you.

The Series S has plenty of use cases versus the Series X.

Mexen

It's always nice when you are happy with your purchase.
I hope you enjoy the console and the service.

I went PC. It was my "try something new" and I love it. I own an Xbox Controller for it and I might jump onto Xbox Game Pass for PC but I already have plenty games, old and new alike, so I'm good.

To trying new things! Cheers.

Why you are creating a topic to justify your purchase? That smells like regret.
I see you and a few others are always banging on the 'smells like regret' drum when I couldn't sleep a wink last night because i'm stoked for getting a freakin' Xbox (hopefully) today or early tomorrow morning.
I've finally signed up to GamePass Ultimate. I'm even looking at some vinyls for my console from DBrand.

3 reasons why I created this thread:

1) People love to bag on the Series S.
2) I'm coming from PS and rejoining Xbox since my last Xbox was the Xbox 360.
3) I'm happy and excited for quick resume and other awesome little features this console has.
4) And I'm looking forward to a quiet console.

And with that I hope others on this forum who find the Series S an appealing console can find this a safe space to talk about it.
I'm not too worried about low resolution this and that. I'm just excited to try some Xbox games for a change. Who knows, I might even get big brother Series X later down the line when stocks are readily available as i'm not paying a dollar over retail to scalpers online.

It's always nice when you are happy with your purchase.
I hope you enjoy the console and the service.

I went PC. It was my "try something new" and I love it. I own an Xbox Controller for it and I might jump onto Xbox Game Pass for PC but I already have plenty games, old and new alike, so I'm good.

To trying new things! Cheers.
Yep.

I'm that kind of guy. I like to try new things and I had a tough choice to make when choosing between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Exclusives was the deciding factor but this time I can't overlook Xbox and GamePass is one of the major factors in me wanting to pick up Series S.

Thanks and cheers mate.

Series S owner here.

Great console, bought it launch day and haven't had an issue playing any games. All games look great and run great.

Also great design too.

Unless you're one of those weirdo gamer autistic types on here that rage against everything they deem unsuitable, most people will love the Series S.
Man I'm stoked. I can't wait for mine to arrive.
I just hope my SteelSeries headset works with this Series S.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

I see you and a few others are always banging on the 'smells like regret' drum when I couldn't sleep a wink last night because i'm stoked for getting a freakin' Xbox (hopefully) today or early tomorrow morning.
I've finally signed up to GamePass Ultimate. I'm even looking at some vinyls for my console from DBrand.

3 reasons why I created this thread:

1) People love to bag on the Series S.
2) I'm coming from PS and rejoining Xbox since my last Xbox was the Xbox 360.
3) I'm happy and excited for quick resume and other awesome little features this console has.
4) And I'm looking forward to a quiet console.

And with that I hope others on this forum who find the Series S an appealing console can find this a safe space to talk about it.
I'm not too worried about low resolution this and that. I'm just excited to try some Xbox games for a change. Who knows, I might even get big brother Series X later down the line when stocks are readily available as i'm not paying a dollar over retail to scalpers online.

Yep.

I'm that kind of guy. I like to try new things and I had a tough choice to make when choosing between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Exclusives was the deciding factor but this time I can't overlook Xbox and GamePass is one of the major factors in me wanting to pick up Series S.

Thanks and cheers mate.

Man I'm stoked. I can't wait for mine to arrive.
I just hope my SteelSeries headset works with this Series S.

You will like it. It's $299.... and for the specs you get at the price point you can't go wrong.

I did end up eventually buying the 1 TB memory card expansion, internal storage is small.

Rambone

I picked up both an X and a S. I agree that the S should not have happened but since its too late for that, it has been making a most excellent replacement for my X360 and XBX-One-X out in the living room with the added bonus that I can still play next gen games although not at full performance of the X which is totally expected. I think my thoughts and expectations for the system based on what I interpreted (right or wrong) was that the intended targets for the system to hit are 1440p at 60fps or 1080p at 60fps for all next gen games. I think the real problem over the S being not as fully capable as the X is I have been finding myself buying more games on PS5 because the controller offers a superior experience over either the X or S even if the X|S has the graphical and performance advantage.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Enough with the ps5 digital is a better buy arguement, it plays different exclusives and is vaporware, you can't actually buy one (this is intentional by design, since they made hardly any, and continue to do so, Sony just wanted to be able to say $399)

DESTROYA

It's underpowered, but unlike the Switch it doesn't melt if required to run a game at anything over 720p and yet is still cheaper.
I’ve had my Switch from day 1 and it has yet to melt in my hands .
I know your trying to be funny but taking a shot at the Switch in a Xbox Series S thread is kinda meaningless .
2 totally different systems bro.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not really surprising. The GPU is clocked at lowly 1.5 GHz for an RDNA 2 GPU when you have another console hitting 2.2+ GHz and the PC counterpart comfortably touching 2.5 GHz with 2x shader arrays.

No wonder it's small.

Any chance to badmouth the series s, eh?
Have you actually had a series s in your hands? It's still surprisingly small considering what's in it.

Kagey K

Banned
You should try to open it with a set of pliers in case the fan ever gets loud, that way you will know how to easily break it in the future.
😅

Last edited:
If the console offered what it set out to do, sure. 1080p instead of 4K, everything else the same. I knew that shit was a lie, and sure enough, even this early in the gen, were getting the cavalcade of caveats in every comparison. It's terribly underpowered. Best case scenario, it'll fade away. Worst case, it'll be a thorn in developer's sides that holds the X back to reach some kind of parity.

The console itself looks marvelous, though.

If the console offered what it set out to do, sure. 1080p instead of 4K, everything else the same. I knew that shit was a lie, and sure enough, even this early in the gen, were getting the cavalcade of caveats in every comparison.
"1080p instead of 4K" can't work when the big consoles can't manage 4K. The Series S scales very well with whatever the big consoles are doing. It's just that the big consoles are too weak to push 4K.

The XSS seems like a cool device especially with Gamepass, the apps, features and upcoming games, but the lack of memory would force me to get an SSD that will drive the price up pass the XSS unfortunately. I guess we’ll also see how it handles next generation games as well. It can probably do some admirable stuff when the hardware is properly learned. Anyway, enjoy OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom