• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just had maple syrup, real canadian maple syrup for the first time

jEjXHe6.gif
What the fuck is that and how do I get it into my mouth?

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I went to a touristy syrup store near Niagra Falls as a kid and since then I thought Canada just had syrup stores everywhere.

Also the Coke tasted better.

Armaros

Wait you really can't get real maple syrup everywhere? There's no shortage of choices at any grocery store around here.

The farther away you live from where they extract it from the trees, the harder it is to find it.

Generally the most common version for the average American would be something like Trader Joe's maple syrup.

When I lived in Colorado none of my friends knew that the syrup they grew up on was not the real stuff. And once they got to try some they preferred the fake corn syrup stuff. Really bizarre to me.

Davey Cakes

Maple syrup is funny. It's changed a bit over the years.

When I was a kid, most syrups contained at least 5% of the real thing. Even on a budget, you could get a decent syrup with enough of the flavor. Now it's all "table syrup" which is infused with corn syrup and brown coloring. It's just not the same.

What I'm getting at is that you could avoid the cost of the real thing while getting a decent alternative. Nowadays, it's the real thing or bust, in my opinion.

Grade A Dark Amber is quite common but I'm a huge fan of Grade B, which is the darkest you can get. Of course, very recently the grading system has been changed. You want the real deal, you have to seek our "Dark amber with robust flavor" which is basically the new signifier for Grade B.

Plenty of real stuff here in the northeast. Got a batch of homemade in the fridge right now. The fake shit has its uses too,

Aeana

So good, dont know why people like that fake HFC stuff so gross.

They grew up on it.

Real maple syrup is great, but it is also several times more expensive, and depending on where in the country you live, it may even be difficult to find. The majority of American households can't justify the expense of buying real maple syrup regularly when there's an alternative that costs considerably less. It's really that simple.

If you get to the point where you can afford to buy real maple syrup regularly, you absolutely should. It's very good.

MsKrisp

I remember my first time too OP, I also grew up on the colored sludge that is Log Cabin. You never forget it, and you never go back.

This is weird. You're weird.

On a related note, I have a friend who can't stand soda made with cane sugar, but loves the HFCS stuff. I'm not super anti HFCS, but I have the sense to tell which one tastes better.

HFCS and liquid cane sugar are pretty much the same thing. Try a double blind taste test.

Maple syrup is completely different from either.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I bring several litres of real maple syrup to my American friends every couple of years in North Carolina. They absolutely love it.

Novocaine

I went to Canada 7-8 years ago and the friends I was staying with had a big 2 litre jug full of home grown maple syrup. Fuck it was good. None of the store bought stuff comes close.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I prefer the real stuff.. but I ain't some elitist that's not gonna eat a decent quality fake maple syrup... the pancakes being quality is more important anyhow.

akira28

GAF, my whole Log Cabin syrup on pancake life has been a lie.

What the fuck is the garbage they serve us, put on our shelves.

Goddamn, I had no idea real maple syrup was so different.

So, what say you GAF, what do you think of real maple syrup birthed from the proud tree loins of Canada?

I say it tastes like fucking revelation.

today you have awakened from the Matrix.

now you can never go back without feeling like your lungs are full of brown goop.

Maple syrup is awesome and here in Quebec it's a seasonal tradition to go to a "sugar shack" and eat that stuff poured out on snow at its freshest (literally coming out of the boiler).

305671-robert-dufresne-cabane-sucre-boise.jpg

262010_06a485a6e6eb5f0c6b02d0d117fe3ba7cc904140.jpg

They grew up on it.

Real maple syrup is great, but it is also several times more expensive, and depending on where in the country you live, it may even be difficult to find. The majority of American households can't justify the expense of buying real maple syrup regularly when there's an alternative that costs considerably less. It's really that simple.

If you get to the point where you can afford to buy real maple syrup regularly, you absolutely should. It's very good.

Eh, I have food stamps because I am broke and it was the on sale as the same price as regular stuff, so I said why not? And wow, the difference is fucking shocking.

It's dark and mapely with a hint of brown sugar, earthy.

It's like going from generic honey to something organic and smallbatch. It's nuts.

n64coder

I only buy real maple syrup from local producers in Vermont. Much cheaper than what you find in stores.

Anyone know of a good poutine place in the Boston area?

entremet

nope, butter flavored syrup kicks the shit out of that tree juice.

You know you can add butter to real maple syrup? You also spice up with cinnamon sticks, anise, orange zests, etc.

http://www.thekitchn.com/5-maple-syrup-twists-to-take-your-pancakes-on-a-breakfast-adventure-229643

I grew up on Aunt Jemima's syrup. I then learned about the real stuff and use it since it taste better to me. I don't eat much pancakes to have to worry about the price. It's a special occasion treat.

kennah

My wife is from Quebec and each spring we would import three gallons from the village where she grew up. Directly from the farm that taps, boils, and cans themselves.

Then we moved to Quebec and now we get many of our vegetables from them as well.

Even better. When they are doing the boiling in the spring they throw a party where everyone comes and you can drink the boiled but not reduced sap, and they make maple taffy in the snow for the kids (and adults)

Wait you really can't get real maple syrup everywhere? There's no shortage of choices at any grocery store around here.

Yeah, I never even had that corn syrup shit to my best knowledge, all of the maple syrup I've had is naturally made (I live in Vermont after all), so I'm admit I'm a bit clueless about what people are talking about at times, ha!

Always grew up with real maple syrup living in New England. I didn't know 'pancake syrup' was a thing until much older.

Still I actually like both. Good Vermont maple syrup is best for me but I like the fake, cheap stuff too. I'll always have a soft spot for The Vermont Maid Maple Syrup which is cheap sugar syrup but it's what my grandmother always bought being thrifty, and so I like it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I had one foreman who had a small maple syrup business and he would bottle it and sell it to us. So good.

Hoodbury

We tapped around 80 trees this year and got almost 14 gallons of syrup out of it. I'm putting it on everything from the norm of pancakes/waffles to on my oatmeal, in my tea, and on my icecream. Mix it in with my marinades for steaks/porkchops too.

I have real maple syrup coming out of my ears; my sweat even tastes like it.

Ashhong

Is Costco maple syrup real? I'll just pick up a tub of that next time to go with my jumbo pack of eggo waffles

This thread reminded me I had a dream about making pancakes last night.

Maybe it was a sign. Pancakes tomorrow morning it is.

psyfi

Banned
I host a waffle brunch at my place this morning with the legit shit. It's seriously so good, I'm always looking for excuses to use it, haha.

Top Bottom