• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just legally downloaded a game but i am pretty sure it's illegal...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so i printed this

qW0rF7Zl.jpg

got the 3d printed files from thingyverse for the dices

and the yatzee excel sheet for marking the scores

This will just be a glimpse of the future of illegal board gaming.
Do we need to have piracy protection in board games ?

And how can we stop it ?

Last edited:

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
And how can we stop it?
By not posting links to where you just downloaded it from?

I'm just checking now for the appropriate action for property that is clearly listed as trademarked. Bearing in mind that trademarks do expire.

Spukc

Oh, god, Microsoft Excel is now being used to pirate games!

The horror! The horror!
i think you missed the point the dices are 3d printed.
So that could mean that entire board games are 3d printed in the future

Last edited:

Blam

i think you missed the point the dices are 3d printed.
So that could mean that entire board games are 3d printed in the future
That's pushing it. the accuracy needed would be pretty hard, and frankly it's pointless unless you're printing a foldable 3d printed colored board game there's no point.

it's the same as printing out the board onto a piece of cardboard.

Spukc

That's pushing it. the accuracy needed would be pretty hard, and frankly it's pointless unless you're printing a foldable 3d printed colored board game there's no point.

aye that what this thread is about, pushing it.
Fast forward 10 years from now and just imagine what we could print from home.
Just imagine a company like Games Workshop will suffer when 3d printing gets better and better

Last edited:
It's still more economical to buy the board game than to print all the cards, playing board and bits and pieces for most board games.

Yatzee is a game consisting of normal dice, paper and pencil. Somehow it's still selling well enough for them to stock it and I don't see that changing.

Spukc

It's still more economical to buy the board game than to print all the cards, playing board and bits and pieces for most board games.

Yatzee is a game consisting of normal dice, paper and pencil. Somehow it's still selling well enough for them to stock it and I don't see that changing.
ITS NOT AS SIMPLE AS THAT.
I CAN 3D PRINT 412 CHESS PIECES FOR ABOUT 20 BUCKS OF MATERIAL ON A 250 dollar printer

edit mad caps. this stuff will happen and it will come fast

Last edited:

Fnord

I can print perfectly symmetrical dice right now if I wanted to (I printed a 3x3x3 cube not long after getting my CR-10 and according to my digital calipers, it's a perfect 3x3x3 cube). Accuracy really isn't an issue on a modern 3D printer.

jadedm17

ITS NOT AS SIMPLE AS THAT.
I CAN 3D PRINT 412 CHESS PIECES FOR ABOUT 20 BUCKS OF MATERIAL ON A 250 dollar printer

edit mad caps. this stuff will happen and it will come fast

We'll all be out of jobs from automation and won't be able to afford buying games anyways so no worries?

:S

herod

you don't need a 3D printer to do this, or to "pirate" 97% of board games made in the last 100 years, you could just cut up bits of wood for pieces and print cards/boards/tiles

most eurogamers are intelligent enough to understand that they're contributing to the pipeline that creates new games when they buy a game

if your time is really worth less than the effort it would take to print and prepare a game, then have at it, but bear in mind that you're a fucking coupon

Greedings

you don't need a 3D printer to do this, or to "pirate" 97% of board games made in the last 100 years, you could just cut up bits of wood for pieces and print cards/boards/tiles

most eurogamers are intelligent enough to understand that they're contributing to the pipeline that creates new games when they buy a game

if your time is really worth less than the effort it would take to print and prepare a game, then have at it, but bear in mind that you're a fucking coupon

Absolutely this. My younger brother and I made "chess" one rainy weekend.

All board games are re-creatable, it's just whether you'd rather spend the time and money doing so. 3d printing will never be as cost effective as large scale manufacturing.

Fbh

While this opens the door to easily pirate board games I think the number of people who are going to bother isn't very big

Lots of popular board games can easily be pirated with a regular printer since they are card based or have simple boards but they continue to sell well. Since 3D printers are much less common I don't think it's going to make much of a difference

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It will be cool to 3D print custom chess board, Ive always want a star trek chess board.

ScrapBrain

Those dice look like whiskey stones...

3D print me some whiskey stones, and when I drink enough to play Yahtzee, we'll talk

waylo

Banned
I could also go to Walmart, buy a pack of dice for $2, get some paper and a pencil and "pirate" Yahtzee.

CuNi

Funny to see how people get shocked by this, but I never saw such a outcry when Tabletop Simulator was released. I mean there I technically even buy a software on steam to illegally play dozens of board games in their workshop for free..

autoduelist

People have been zeroxing and making their own yahtzee scorepads for decades.

Heck, if you really want to get into it, people used to make ALL their own games.

If you want a great read, go for: Monopoly: The World's Most Famous Game and how it got That Way. Seriously, it's fantastic, and if was written even 5 years later they'd have lost so much information because of how old so many of the interviewees were. Learn the deep dark history of gaming development, theft, and more crazy drama than you can shake a stick at... one of my favorite reads.

Copying games used to be just... how it was. If someone wanted to make and sell a 'nice' version, great, but the idea that you couldn't just make your own hand made copy of something would be alien/ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom