• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I JUST LOST MY POSTING PRIVILEGES FOR VIRAL MARKETING - c'mon GAF make with the funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

llTll

Banned
I didnt see this one being posted :D

if there is an old post of this, then suck it and pretend there is non :D

The Xbox 360 was the first of the next generation consoles out of the gates, and by dint of its early arrival, the console established a number of trends that continue to influence its next-gen console brethren. Chief among these themes was a sudden concern for console cooling inspired by the rather high failure rate among launch-period 360 hardware, popularly anthropomorphized as the "red eye of death." The PlayStation 3 and Wii haven't been famously stricken by similarly publicized predilections for kicking the bucket, but that hasn't stopped the console accessory manufacturing community from proffering a variety of cooling solutions for the machines.

The PlayStation 3 does run hot at times, and some people have been having issues lately with Blu-ray movies skipping and the console announcing it's too hot and needs some time off. Just like gaming PCs, circulating more air through the case is the simple solution to lowering internal temperature, and it would seem as though there are times when the PS3's internal fans aren't doing quiet enough to keep the console frosty.

Pelican was the first company to get a PS3 cooler out the door, and our testing proved it capable and aesthetically unobtrusive, but also loud (review). Today we've got our hands on arch-rival Nyko's PS3 cooling option, the Intercooler. Whereas Pelican's cooler is a single piece design that incorporates 5 cooling fans and draws power from its own AC power supply, Nyko's Intercooler is a two part apparatus that feeds from a power-pass-through similar to Nyko's Intercooler for the Xbox 360.
nyko-intercooler-playstation-3-20070510022912287-000.jpg

Installation is as simple as clipping the rear portion of the Intercooler to the PS3's backside and then snapping on the top piece. Both fit securely when attached, and the rear section leaves room for accessing the A/V ports. The hard on-off switch is completely obscured, but is functionally relocated to the front of the top-piece of the cooler. Together the two pieces apply five extra fans to the PS3, the single largest in the top piece and four smaller fans on the back. All appear to be sucking air out of the chassis, and move a rather significant amount of air.

As with the Pelican solution, Nyko's Intercooler adds a fair amount of noise to the PS3's operating volume. At full speed the fans sound like a gaming PC under load, which is way louder than the PS3's natural whisper. Unobstructed and in an otherwise quiet room, it's not hard to hear the Intercooler running from more than 10-feet away. In loud movies and games it's easy to cover up the noise pollution, but quite, sensitive movies will likely allow it to be heard.

nyko-intercooler-playstation-3-20070510022924053-000.jpg

unique feature of the Intercooler is the silver dial that ends up positioned just to the side of the PS3's touch-sensitive power button. Whereas Pelican's cooler uses smart-sensing technology to regulate its own fan speeds, the spinning dial on Nyko's Intercooler allows owners to dial fan speeds up and down as they see fit. We like the feature, as it let us tone down the Intercooler for quiet movies and jack it up for long, loud gaming sessions.

Conclusion
Both the Pelican and Nyko PS3 coolers do a good job pushing more air through the PS3 chassis, and share the same weakness of making the console significantly louder. Pelican's product is the aesthetically less obtrusive of the two thanks to a tighter fit and carefully detailed metallic highlights. Nyko's Intercooler, on the other hand, sports the manually tweak-able fan-speed dial, and probably moves a bit more air due to the fact that it positions fans on both the PS3's top and rear cooling vents

8.0 Performance
Pushes dramatically more air though the PS3. Twist-dial allows manual fan-speed settings. Adds a significant amount of operating noise, however.
7,5 Build Quality
Generally unobtrusive, but less detailed and somewhat less snuggly fitting than the competing Pelican product.
9.0 Ease of Use
The two pieces snap on without difficulty.

llTll

Banned
Chrono said:
I'm not bringing that thing within a mile of my PS3.

then its not for you.

some people let the ps3 run all day and night. and thing thing should help to keep the system temp down.

Scare tactics? As far as I'm aware the PS3's heat management system is exceptional.

I'd be more worried about disc read errors from standing my console upright, with Sony's reputation.

Costanza

Banned
llTll said:
then its not for you.

some people let the ps3 run all day and night. and thing thing should help to keep the system temp down.
The 360 one was proven to overheat systems. :lol

llTll

Banned
Costanza said:
The 360 one was proven to overheat systems. :lol

not really. the 360 problem was the power shortage if it wasnt placed right. as it happened with few people. not over heating the system. i have one attached to my 360. and my system is working fine for months now. its always cool

Costanza

Banned
Visualante said:
You sure that wasn't just people installing it incorrectly? Like with the fans facing away from each other..
There's a bunch of different articles about it:
http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nykos-intercooler-causes-problems-for-xbox-360/
Game World Industries contacted a couple different Microsoft customer service representatives to talk about the issue, both reps stated that the Intercooler causes problems for the Xbox 360.

More: http://www.google.com/search?q=inte...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Please dont buy this.

These systems interupt the powersupply to the system to power themselves. It doesnt take a genius to see that ****ing with the power supply to a system is far more dangerous than a bit of heat.

llTll

Banned
Ghost said:
Please dont buy this.

These systems interupt the powersupply to the system to power themselves. It doesnt take a genius to see that ****ing with the power supply to a system is far more dangerous than a bit of heat.

thats what i am afraid of. the power supply problem.
however. there is also this cooler

http://gear.ign.com/articles/782/782847p1.html

pelican-air-flo-ps3-20070423041838864-000.jpg

pelican-air-flo-ps3-20070423041849379-000.jpg

"The device itself is a single unit that clips snuggly to the top of the PS3 (when the console is vertical), and draws power from its own AC-adaptor rather than by USB or a pass-through on the PS3's power supply"

it use its own power supply. however, i am not sure how good is it. and which one is better.

i honestly think the Nyko one is better because:

1- you can manually adjust the speed of the fan. the pelican air for is automaticly adusting by it self. which i dont consider it very good thing
2- the Nyko cooler has more fans. thus i would assume more air inside the system

womfalcs3

Banned
It's not hard to keep your PS3 cool. For one thing, the PS3 is designed to handle the temperatures at which it runs. For another, use some convective heat transfer techniques.

Either use forced convection where you put your console in a flow of air with a considerable velocity, or you can use free convection where the ambient conditions around the console are cool.

Since I use free convection, I try to keep mine in a cool area I have designated for it. Also, I have it vertical because during such convective process, the air rises along the console. It gets turbulent near the top... depending on your conditions of course.

Turbulence = better heat transfer.

OR

You can generate a pressure drop at the back of the PS3 so the air is sucked out.... by using air flow coming in from the front side.

Costanza said:
Sony has had a fairly long standing policy that using non-Sony branded peripherals will void your warranty.

Obviously this generation they're hardly going to stop you because they've allowed the system to be modular. You can use your own hard disc and Bluetooth headset.

However if an intercooler causes your PS3 to break then chances are you won't be warranted. With a product like this which has probably been in R&D since the PS3 launched it is a fair assumption that it hasn't gone under any extensive testing.

Did these reviewers push their $600 PS3s to the brink of destruction for this review? This is what I would expect from a hardware review- doesn't look like it to me.

This should really be locked, this thing is a sure fire way of killing your PS3. The system is one of the most thermally efficient pieces of consumer electronics around, ****ing up the meticulously designed air flow and interrupting you supply of power to the PSU is just a dumb-shit move that will lead to tears in the end.

MickeyKnox said:
The system is one of the most thermally efficient pieces of consumer electronics around, ****ing up the meticulously designed air flow and interrupting you supply of power to the PSU is just a dumb-shit move that will lead to tears in the end.
I don't know how true it is, but Sony have the best thermodynamics people in the industry. Apple apparently had headhunters in Japan looking for Sony engineers to work on their PowerBooks/MacBook pros.

Just take a look at the slimline PS2, coincidentally a Jonathon Ive (iPod/iMac) design or their VAIO notebooks.

What a rip-off product. :lol I wouldn't be surprised if this actually made the PS3 run hotter. I think what happens is that people notice the hot (exhaust) air, and actually assume that it means that the system itself is overheating. Whereas in reality, it's really a sign of good health.

DON'T BUY

llTll

Banned
omg rite said:
Can two people share the tag "Absolutely pathetic"? I think it may fit.

are you crying?

anyway no i am not viral marketer or anything. i just like to keep my system cool.

i like my systems perfect and take good care of them.

llTll

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Then stop recommending this filth.

1- i didnt recommend any thing
2- if you dont like it. dont buy it
3- you think it is filth. i think its good. because i have mine on the 360 and its doing amazing job.

i post anything new regarding coolers because i like to keep an update on them. if that doesnt intrest you. then please, save your time, my time. dont come to this kind of thread and waste bytes of nothing

Burai

shitonmychest57
My review:

If the console needed this much cooling, it would have come with it pre-installed at the factory/10

Jahaya

Banned
Stay away from all these usb coolers, get a small table fan if you must because of the climate you are in. You are doing more harm than good by inserting things into your PS3.

llTll said:
3- you think it is filth. i think its good. because i have mine on the 360 and its doing amazing job.

i post anything new regarding coolers because i like to keep an update on them. if that doesnt intrest you. then please, save your time, my time. dont come to this kind of thread and waste bytes of nothing

Thank you, but I think I'll stick to using these threads to steer people away from this useless nonsense.

Ulairi

Banned
llTll said:

If this is for your benefit, then why are you making a post about it on a forum?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Thread change wins

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey Mr "Customer Care Rep", consider yourself fortunate to escape a permaban for this BS.

Alright guys, where are my cat pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom