• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just played BioShock Infinite!

wd40

Hey lads, now that I can make posts, I thought I'd post about what I'm playing rn, which is BioShock Infinite. I played it over the weekend in 2 days, and holy SHIT, this game is so much fun. I know I'm a wee bit late to it, but the movement and gunplay combined with the wacky vigor shit like Undertow and Bucking Bronco is just so much fun. I thought Burial At Sea Part 1 was a wee bit worse, it felt more like the first Bioshock, which i think is a slight regression. Clash In The Clouds is just more crazy action which I'm loving so far (apart from the game glitching the fuck out and making me play Duke And Dimwit Theatre twice, that was shit.) Burial At Sea Part 2 I'm kind of mixed on, I'm about halfway through it, but I'm not sure if the stealth oriented gameplay is fun and interesting, or clunky and repetitive lol. Ken Levine said in an interview that the point of Bioshock is give players a crazy amount of options and to let them go crazy, but Burial 2 feels like a complete U-Turn, with the most reliable way to get through the game being Peeping Tom and Stealth Kills. Maybe it gets better though, and it's not HORRIBLE, but it's definitely a step down from the main campaign.

Here's what I thought about the story:
The games story was really good I thought with great characters, but the ending was fucking CRAZY. It left me sort of bewildered after I saw it lol, because it's kind of a fucked up ending. In retrospect I do think I enjoyed the story more before the whole "infinite worlds" thing though, because Burial 1's story feels like a retread of the main game's twist, and Burial 2's while I haven't finsihed it yet, I don't know it feels a wee bit depressing lol, the main game was fun and colourful but the extra Rapture stuff feels a wee bit too grim for my tastes (though seeing Atlas at the start of Burial 2 was sick as fuck.)

If you wannae talk about the story, spoiler it.
If you haven't played it yet, fucking do it BITCH its amazing.

Lots of people shit on Infinite but I liked it a lot. I think it’s a “cool” game to look down on nowadays.

In terms of all games I think it’s Minervas Den>Bioshock/Infinite>Bioshock 2. I actually enjoy the gameplay loop of Infinite more then the rest.

Last edited:

wd40

I was a HUGE fan of Bioshock, enjoyed 2 for what it was, and Infinite as well. Big fan of the DLC too, had some good content.

Infinite got a LOT of shit, but I enjoyed what I played. It would've been cool to have seen things play out differently in some ways. But the end result I thought was still pretty damn cool.
yeah the original is amazing, and 2 honestly wasn't far behind, it just felt a wee big stagnated and unimportant. Its cool to see the stuff from 2 lifted into Infinite tho like the lockpicking system, or the Charge Vigor. 2 is totally unecassary, but a fun game nontheless.

I really enjoyed that game as well however it was not well received at the time. Never understood why.
BioShock Infinite went through loads of changes during development, and alot of people think that earlier builds of the game looked way better.

It's been a while, but I remember liking it but I also remember thinking I liked the first two a lot more.

Honestly I'm the opposite Infinite is way more fun than one and two, but that doesn't by ANY means mean they're bad, they still kick ass. Infinite's just a fucking blast to play tho.

wd40

Lots of people shit on Infinite but I liked it a lot. I think it’s a “cool” game to look down on nowadays.

In terms of all games I think it’s Minervas Den>Bioshock/Infinite>Bioshock 2. I actually enjoy the gameplay loop of Infinite more then the rest.
Minerva's Den at #1? I haven't actually played it, I played 1 and 2 on 360 before buying to collection to play Infinite, I'll need to give it a play some time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game is absolutely amazing. Looks amazing and story is fantastic. It's better than 1 and 2
On pc BE SURE to enable alternate rendering. It makes the game look so much better (and it's still very demanding at 4k)

Alternate rendering makes no difference in some scenes, but great deal in others (first image is default, 2nd is alternate option)

0Obv0Z5.jpg

6Qz32oo.jpg

Last edited:

poodaddy

Watched my wife play through this one about three weeks ago. Seemed alright, but it's missing a lot of what I loved about Bioshock. Seemed like way more just hectic shooter gameplay, and that's not necessarily what I wanted from the series. Pretty cool game though.

Shut0wen

Hey lads, now that I can make posts, I thought I'd post about what I'm playing rn, which is BioShock Infinite. I played it over the weekend in 2 days, and holy SHIT, this game is so much fun. I know I'm a wee bit late to it, but the movement and gunplay combined with the wacky vigor shit like Undertow and Bucking Bronco is just so much fun. I thought Burial At Sea Part 1 was a wee bit worse, it felt more like the first Bioshock, which i think is a slight regression. Clash In The Clouds is just more crazy action which I'm loving so far (apart from the game glitching the fuck out and making me play Duke And Dimwit Theatre twice, that was shit.) Burial At Sea Part 2 I'm kind of mixed on, I'm about halfway through it, but I'm not sure if the stealth oriented gameplay is fun and interesting, or clunky and repetitive lol. Ken Levine said in an interview that the point of Bioshock is give players a crazy amount of options and to let them go crazy, but Burial 2 feels like a complete U-Turn, with the most reliable way to get through the game being Peeping Tom and Stealth Kills. Maybe it gets better though, and it's not HORRIBLE, but it's definitely a step down from the main campaign.

Here's what I thought about the story:
The games story was really good I thought with great characters, but the ending was fucking CRAZY. It left me sort of bewildered after I saw it lol, because it's kind of a fucked up ending. In retrospect I do think I enjoyed the story more before the whole "infinite worlds" thing though, because Burial 1's story feels like a retread of the main game's twist, and Burial 2's while I haven't finsihed it yet, I don't know it feels a wee bit depressing lol, the main game was fun and colourful but the extra Rapture stuff feels a wee bit too grim for my tastes (though seeing Atlas at the start of Burial 2 was sick as fuck.)

If you wannae talk about the story, spoiler it.
If you haven't played it yet, fucking do it BITCH its amazing.
I replayed this game afew weeks back, first time i replayed it since it was released, back when it first game out i hated how linear it became compared to the first game and how casual it was(first game is one of my top 5 greatest games ever) but ever since i replayed it i take everything back it is a great game and the ending is still one of my favourite endings to a video game, the dlc i thought were ok burial at the sea 1 was good while 2 i wasnt a fan of the stealth the atory in it and the ending just blew me away especially with everything being related to dr chu

wd40

The game is absolutely amazing. Looks amazing and story is fantastic. It's better than 1 and 2
On pc BE SURE to enable alternate rendering. It makes the game look so much better (and it's still very demanding at 4k)

Alternate rendering makes no difference in some scenes, but great deal in others (first image is default, 2nd is alternate option)

sqK5Ydo.jpg

6Qz32oo.jpg
holy shit, that second one looks crazy good. I'm playing on PS4, I doubt I can activate it on that, but damn thats unreal.
I agree, I like it more than the original and 2 also, but those games are still loads of fun.

whitesugar

Banned
i really enjoyed it. the gameplay was a step back from 2, but it was still enjoyable. i loved the world and story

the opening is one of my favourites ever too - the ascent up, the music and atmosphere of the church, and then looking around the fair was great

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
holy shit, that second one looks crazy good. I'm playing on PS4, I doubt I can activate it on that, but damn thats unreal.
I agree, I like it more than the original and 2 also, but those games are still loads of fun.
Sorry I replaced the first image with a proper one!
The blue one I posted was during "lightning"
Now my post contains a proper comparison. Still looks much better and cleaner

Last edited:

wd40

I replayed this game afew weeks back, first time i replayed it since it was released, back when it first game out i hated how linear it became compared to the first game and how casual it was(first game is one of my top 5 greatest games ever) but ever since i replayed it i take everything back it is a great game and the ending is still one of my favourite endings to a video game, the dlc i thought were ok burial at the sea 1 was good while 2 i wasnt a fan of the stealth the atory in it and the ending just blew me away especially with everything being related to dr chu
It is certainly a very different game to 1, but I think it's for the better. While i can totally see your point about the stealth gameplay, it is really cool that the games can offer so much variety in gameplay style.

wd40

Watched my wife play through this one about three weeks ago. Seemed alright, but it's missing a lot of what I loved about Bioshock. Seemed like way more just hectic shooter gameplay, and that's not necessarily what I wanted from the series. Pretty cool game though.
that's fair, but I think the gunplay on 1 was probably the worst thing about it, it was slow and barebones, and it lacked any kind of movement options. I think it was the right direction to go in.

wd40

i really enjoyed it. the gameplay was a step back from 2, but it was still enjoyable. i loved the world and story

the opening is one of my favourites ever too - the ascent up, the music and atmosphere of the church, and then looking around the fair was great
gameplay was a step back from 2? how do you mean? I thought the added movement options made it so much more fun.
the opening was fantastic yeah, though i think it waits a WEE bit too long to give me a gun and let me kill shit lol.

wd40

Sorry I replaced the first image with a proper one!
The blue one I posted was during "lightning"
Now my post contains a proper comparison. Still looks much better and cleaner
yeah it looks great, thanks for the update. I wonder why it's all fogged out like that.

whitesugar

Banned
gameplay was a step back from 2? how do you mean? I thought the added movement options made it so much more fun.
the opening was fantastic yeah, though i think it waits a WEE bit too long to give me a gun and let me kill shit lol.
it was a step back in terms of options. 2 gun system, less hacking, less overall variety in weapons and gadgets and all that stuff

wd40

it was a step back in terms of options. 2 gun system, less hacking, less overall variety in weapons and gadgets and all that stuff
the 2 gun system did definitely take some getting used to, I remember trying to hold in R1 like "wtf" lol. hacking I think got REALLY annoying in 1, and only slightly annoying in 2, it was good they got rid of it I think. The game does have only 8 Vigors yeah but I feel like I ended up using all of them rather than in 1 or 2 where I basicaly just stuck to shock and fire.

RyRy93

Played the original and Infinite about 2 years ago for the first time, I liked the first but didn't want anymore of that setting so I skipped Bioshock 2.
I loved Infinite, second best game of the 7th gen's final year.

Last edited:

poodaddy

that's fair, but I think the gunplay on 1 was probably the worst thing about it, it was slow and barebones, and it lacked any kind of movement options. I think it was the right direction to go in.
Yeah the gunplay definitely sucked. Maybe getting used to it and working my strategies around stealth, hacking and magic is why I found Infinite seemed kind of jarring to me. I should really play it myself before judging it, as my wife's play style could have just been insane lol. You should see her play Metal Gear Solid. I always tease her by saying she plays Metal Gear Contra. She plays WILD maynard lol

mr.dilya

Banned
Recently replayed it. The graphics still hold up. The story is kinda trash though and Elizabeth is annoying. Still a great game.

wd40

Played the original and Infinite about 2 years ago for the first time, I liked the first but didn't want anymore of that setting so I skipped Bioshock 2.
I loved Infinite, second best game of the 7th gen's final year.
2 while it's good and I really liked it, is a totally skippable game lol. What was 2013's best game do you think?

wd40

Yeah the gunplay definitely sucked. Maybe getting used to it and working my strategies around stealth, hacking and magic is why I found Infinite seemed kind of jarring to me. I should really play it myself before judging it, as my wife's play style could have just been insane lol. You should see her play Metal Gear Solid. I always tease her by saying she plays Metal Gear Contra. She plays WILD maynard lol
lmfao I suck at MGS as well, my kill count in 3 was embarassing, especially considering my brothers a no kill stealth game kind of guy. You should totally play Infinite.

Yeah it was a lot of fun, the reason it wasn't received well was because they overpromised on early showings and under delivered.

I always go on media blackout for games I'm interested in so thankfully I enjoyed it very much on launch

wd40

Recently replayed it. The graphics still hold up. The story is kinda trash though and Elizabeth is annoying. Still a great game.
whaaaat I loved elizabeth, she talked great with booker and she was really helpful in combat. you could argue the story is trash tho lmao

wd40

Yeah it was a lot of fun, the reason it wasn't received well was because they overpromised on early showings and under delivered.

I always go on media blackout for games I'm interested in so thankfully I enjoyed it very much on launch
the old builds honestly don't even look THAT much better. Good to hear you liked it.

poodaddy

lmfao I suck at MGS as well, my kill count in 3 was embarassing, especially considering my brothers a no kill stealth game kind of guy. You should totally play Infinite.
I definitely will. I was gonna wait a bit and play it on the Series X, as I honestly thought it was a pretty impressive looking game despite the age, and several times while watching I just thought, "man this would look rad in HDR" lol. Definitely gonna play it though for sure.

wd40

I remember being so hyped about this game. The story was good. But the gameplay was meh.
Gameplay-wise Bioshock 2 is the better one.
that's an interesting point, and while I disagree I can see what you mean going off poodaddy's (lol) posts. 2 was definitely more System Shock 2 than DOOM '16.

wd40

I definitely will. I was gonna wait a bit and play it on the Series X, as I honestly thought it was a pretty impressive looking game despite the age, and several times while watching I just thought, "man this would look rad in HDR" lol. Definitely gonna play it though for sure.
oh yeah that'll probably be breathtaking. have fun!

that's an interesting point, and while I disagree I can see what you mean going off poodaddy's (lol) posts. 2 was definitely more System Shock 2 than DOOM '16.
All weapons and plasmids in bioshock 2 are useful and fun to use. The story and level design are uninspired. Minerva's Den is cool though.

In Infinite all weapons and vigors are completely forgettable. And to be honest the only thing I like about the story in infinite is the ending.

Bioshock 1 had the best atmosphere. And that twist....

I always write the same shit in every bioshock thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah great game, I loved it back then and definitely need to replay it at some point.
It didn't quite live up to the potential of when you first arrive to the city (one of my favorite openings in games) but it was still great.

I really enjoyed that game as well however it was not well received at the time. Never understood why.
It was even weirder than that. It was actually pretty well received when it launched. Has a 94 metascore, got multiple game of year awards and also placed second (after TLOU) around here on the GAF Goty poll. As every big game you had people who didn't like it or were disappointed by it, but overall I remember the reception being pretty positive.

And then suddenly everyone started hating it. (critics and regular players alike)

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
All weapons and plasmids in bioshock 2 are useful and fun to use. The story and level design are uninspired. Minerva's Den is cool though.

In Infinite all weapons and vigors are completely forgettable. And to be honest the only thing I like about the story in infinite is the ending.

Good point. The vigors were trash, and buying ammo and whatever else from the shops felt redundant. Gear was useless too.

Vol5

I think the story and themes went over some peoples heads and following on from Bioshock (or should I say Ken Levine's Bioshock) was a very tall order. Expectations were "sky high" and it was never going to reach the same heights as the original.

Yeah, it was good. I liked it toyed with quantum mechanics and the many worlds theory.....and I always considered the Lucerne twins as being entangled....I love that stuff personally. Messes with your head. I have it on Steam and may play through again soon.

wd40

I mean, it's fucking great if you only played bioshock games in your life :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

:lollipop_blowing_kiss:
lmfao yeah it doesn't have much competiton in that field. I still think all the guns felt like they had a real punch to them tho.
Now go beat it on 1999 mode and have fun with that awful Lady Comstock ghost boss.

I loved Infinite but I lament for what it should have been.

I've heard horror stories of Lady Comstock on 1999, is it really that bad? Also I wannae go for this games 100% on PSN, is 1999+all Infusions, Telescopes, Kinetiscopes, and Voxophones too unreasonale?

I don't know, I always ended up barely using more than like 3 or 4 plasmids in the first two, and I think COMPLETELY forgettable might be a little too mean lol. Bioshock 1's atmosphere is matched only by Burial At Sea, which is basically just more Bioshock 1 anyway lmfao.

Yeah great game, I loved it back then and definitely need to replay it at some point.
It didn't quite live up to the potential of when you first arrive to the city (one of my favorite openings in game) but it was still great.

It was even weirder than that. It was actually pretty well received when it launched. Has a 94 metascore, got multiple game of year awards and also placed second (after TLOU) around here on the GAF Goty poll. As every big game you had people who didn't like it or were disappointed by it, but overall I remember the reception being pretty positive.

And then suddenly everyone started hating it. (critics and regular players alike)
I noticed that too, I remember hearing this game being praised as a masterpiece when it came out, but it seems people have kind of turned on it since. I think part of it is that CrowBCat video, it's a good video, he touches seems to attract a wave of hate lol.

Good point. The vigors were trash, and buying ammo and whatever else from the shops felt redundant. Gear was useless too.
The gear was either useless, or crazy OP. Some gear is like "10% more health from apples" but one of the ones I got near the start was a 75% increased clip size for all weapons. Insane.

I think the story and themes went over some peoples heads and following on from Bioshock (or should I say Ken Levine's Bioshock) was a very tall order. Expectations were "sky high" and it was never going to reach the same heights as the original.

Yeah, it was good. I liked it toyed with quantum mechanics and the many worlds theory.....and I always considered the Lucerne twins as being entangled....I love that stuff personally. Messes with your head. I have it on Steam and may play through again soon.
I'll be honest I thought the lutece's were fuckin' until I found out they were twins lol. Even on the train thing where they're dancing, that shit's weird. You should totally play it again

dope game. beat it earlier this year and its dlc. great stuff
tru

Top Bottom