• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just played BioShock Infinite!

I enjoyed the experience and the story for the most part but the gameplay wasn't that fun to me. Most guns were basic and ammo was annoying to find sometimes. I felt like the new vigors were not that impactful nor Elizabeth's powers but her throwing health to you was pretty nice.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the experience and the story for the most part but the gameplay wasn't that fun to me. Most guns were basic and ammo was annoying to find sometimes. I didn't feel the new vigors were not that impactful nor Elizabeth's powers but her throwing health to you was pretty nice.
To add on what you are saying, on 1999 mode, Elizabeth could sometimes hit with that perfect ammo or health kit and it just felt so good when it all gels so well.

small_law

I went back and played the first few hours of it last year and for all its pretense, it's very much a corridor shooter with a bunch of systems that really do feel disjointed. I like the vigors and the guns, but combat is stilted and unnatural. I was really surprised how the game never feels as open as it appears to be. You want to actually explore Columbia, but you never really get the chance. You're always being funneled here or there.

Wild story though. The twist is great too. It's worth a playthrough, just don't expect much out of how it actually plays.

wd40

I went back and played the first few hours of it last year and for all its pretense, it's very much a corridor shooter with a bunch of systems that really do feel disjointed. I like the vigors and the guns, but combat is stilted and unnatural. I was really surprised how the game never feels as open as it appears to be. You want to actually explore Columbia, but you never really get the chance. You're always being funneled here or there.

Wild story though. The twist is great too. It's worth a playthrough, just don't expect much out of how it actually plays.
What made it for me is the sound design. I like cool games with cool stories and fun gameplay, and it definitely fit the bill for me, but the sound design, oh my god. The way the music and the weapon and kill sounds all work together is just magical.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Best BioShock ever. Just loved the setting. Although it sure would benefit from a few more NPC models. Same damn couple around every corner.

1999 mode was pretty legit for difficulty , especially if you try and pair it with the no buying from the vending supply machine achievement. There are a few long checkpoints that make me miss the save anywhere features from the first 2.

Fun game overall but not as good as B1 and B2 imo. And I echo the others who mention its basically a corridor shooter. It does have some optional small areas but few and far between.They did have a few cool enemies like the Zealots , fireman , and handymen. Handymen gave me more trouble than the Big Daddies for sure.
Check it out if you never played it.

TheContact

i had a ton of fun with infinite when it came out. not as much fun as i had with bioshock 1 but infinite is still a really enjoyable game

I bought this on the X360 not too long after it came out but never even opened the case. It went into the backlog cemetery with about 20 other X360 games I owned.

Recently I found it on sale for peanuts and decided what the fuck. On one hand it's too bad I waited so long as I really enjoyed it, on the other hand I played a much better looking version as a much higher framerate with a better controller.

It really does hold up well too.

zbRo60k.jpg

fLbSltP.jpg

JWjSBt4.jpg

wd40

1999 mode was pretty legit for difficulty , especially if you try and pair it with the no buying from the vending supply machine achievement. There are a few long checkpoints that make me miss the save anywhere features from the first 2.

Fun game overall but not as good as B1 and B2 imo. And I echo the others who mention its basically a corridor shooter. It does have some optional small areas but few and far between.They did have a few cool enemies like the Zealots , fireman , and handymen. Handymen gave me more trouble than the Big Daddies for sure.
Check it out if you never played it.
I got every trophy in the PS4 version, and 1999 mode no Dollar Bill is really hard, for like the first hour. After that it's p smooth sailing up until the siren fight, which is probably one of the most frustrating game experiences I've ever had. Learn from my mistakes, layer like 10 devils kiss traps onto on area, and have her walk onto it, it'll kill her instantly.
I bought this on the X360 not too long after it came out but never even opened the case. It went into the backlog cemetery with about 20 other X360 games I owned.

Recently I found it on sale for peanuts and decided what the fuck. On one hand it's too bad I waited so long as I really enjoyed it, on the other hand I played a much better looking version as a much higher framerate with a better controller.

It really does hold up well too.

zbRo60k.jpg

fLbSltP.jpg

JWjSBt4.jpg
Dont make me play this fucking game again lmao

I got every trophy in the PS4 version, and 1999 mode no Dollar Bill is really hard, for like the first hour. After that it's p smooth sailing up until the siren fight, which is probably one of the most frustrating game experiences I've ever had. Learn from my mistakes, layer like 10 devils kiss traps onto on area, and have her walk onto it, it'll kill her instantly.

Dont make me play this fucking game again lmao
Hmm that could be a good way to beat her , my one worry would be one of her minions potentially tripping the trap and your shit outta luck with salts. I'll have to try that next time. I actually had pretty good luck using return to sender vigor and absorbing as many bullets and such then throwing it at her. 3 or 4 of those took care of her.
Your right about no dollar bill combined with 1999 being very difficult at first. Lol there were some fights where just buying a little salt makes things so much easier. And you definitely have to constantly switch your 2 weapons since you can't buy ammo. I try to no die at all when I play through but usually end up dying 2 or 3 times .

What order do you prioritize the infusion upgrades ? I generally go for a 2 to 1 ratio of shield and salt bar first. Then once those 2 are full I go with health last. One vigor I never really learned to use was that Charge one with the ram on the bottle. I've seen youtube vids of people dominating bosses with it but never works for me.

Last edited:

wd40

Hmm that could be a good way to beat her , my one worry would be one of her minions potentially tripping the trap and your shit outta luck with salts. I'll have to try that next time. I actually had pretty good luck using return to sender vigor and absorbing as many bullets and such then throwing it at her. 3 or 4 of those took care of her.
Your right about no dollar bill combined with 1999 being very difficult at first. Lol there were some fights where just buying a little salt makes things so much easier. And you definitely have to constantly switch your 2 weapons since you can't buy ammo. I try to no die at all when I play through but usually end up dying 2 or 3 times .

What order do you prioritize the infusion upgrades ? I generally go for a 2 to 1 ratio of shield and salt bar first. Then once those 2 are full I go with health last. One vigor I never really learned to use was that Charge one with the ram on the bottle. I've seen youtube vids of people dominating bosses with it but never works for me.
I always went Sheild, then Health, then Salt, for my infusions. They're not super important, and you're gonnae need all of them to make it to the end of the game. I reccomend never upgrading your weapons, unless you have loads of money left. For the Devil's Kiss strat, you should figure out where she spawns, and then place them before she spawns. I know in the last fight with her, in front of Comstock House, you can spam them while Elizabeth is talking to the statue. It's hard, but its certainly doable. Good luck!

Top Bottom