• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know we all think differently, but is there any real reason to get upset by a video game?

....i am not sure if I follow your logic.

The point I am trying to make is that: 'We' as a society/community should be able to debate/talk/analyze any subject from different points of view without getting all

WlJIyyw.gif
Oh yeah I agree.

Thought you were saying no one should complain about politics in games... That's definitely what Swift_Star Swift_Star meant.

Sure devs can do what they want. Doesn't mean I should stay quiet about it.

tommib

I'm still pissed about Dark Souls 2.

The first game was one of my favorite games back then (still kinda is) and it was mostly because of the world design and it's atmosphere, so seeing the mess of disjointed and incomplete levels that was Dark Souls 2 was a real big disappointment.

The lazy boss design (another thing I loved about the first game) and graphical downgrade before being released didn't help either.

So yeah OP, ifyou want to put this game to sleep, rape it, and left it on the road to rot and die, be my guest.

But yeah usually it's just fine, don't use to get pissed with games, be it playing them or whatever.
Why bring the best Dark Souls into this thread is beyond me.

SJRB

Gold Member
People getting overly emotional over things they're invested in is as old as time itself. Most people can control these emotions but there's always a margin of people who lack the mental capacity to do so.

Never seen a group of troglodyte football supporters destroy a city center because their team lost? Or won, it doesn't even matter. Same thing. Only with videogames the city center is an internet videogame forum.

tassletine

You get what you put in. Pull back far enough and everything is meaningless.
As for getting upset, no one can help that as it’s instinct.

I wouldn’t say I get upset at something like politics in games but it’s highly annoying to start playing a game only to get boring characters spouting the same polemic we hear daily on the news. All that is, is a cheap way of getting certain gamers and reviewers on side, and nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Having said that, there’s nothing wrong with politics in media if it’s written by intelligent people with a fresh viewpoint, it’s actually a lofty goal to obtain and when done correctly can be incredible (Dr Strangelove, Team America, Papers Please) — But mostly it’s just dumb kids thinking what they’re writing is meaningful because they’re writing what they’re friends talk about.

Rickyiez

Nope. If you don’t like something else just move on , life is too short to have so much hate.

That said , a certain level of disappointment could not be avoided

intbal

Getting upset was the legitimate and correct response to the Sierra Utilities that came packaged with Half-Life.

brian0057

Banned
About the games themselves? No. It's stupid to get seriously angry about them. Although being hyperbolic about them is fun (and in some cases, it's more fun than certain games).

About the state of the industry and how almost everyone in it is a creep and a borderline criminal? Fuck 'em. I hope there's a crash and the industry burns.

Last edited:
I mean, there are other people who are just as angsty over their favorite movies, NetFlix series, music genre, novels, etc. I think it's just another thing that makes us humans weird; connecting at a deep level with fictional media.

Top Bottom