• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like console wars...and so should you!

Chiggs

I like console wars because:

• It's fun to watch to watch all the prissy little babies - you know, the ones who call for a more mature discourse from the gaming community - pretend they don't have their own bias.
    • It's also fun to watch these allegedly high-minded individuals pretend that companies that produce consoles aren't engaged in a war against each other.
  • It's equally as fun to watch a bunch of blowhards, with seemingly nothing better to do with their time on this planet, perform mental gymnastics as they try to convince others (but mostly themselves) that things like teraflops or SSD bandwidth don't matter.
    • Personally speaking, I can't get enough of watching people with zero technical expertise or game development chops hurl performance metrics or technical specifications at each other in defense of their plastic box of choice.
  • The forum rivalries that console wars create are also incredibly entertaining.
    • Hurt feelings.
    • Feuds that span multiple threads, leading to drive bys and blatant shitposting.
  • Console warriors forget that the PC is king...has been and always will be, which makes the fight for distant second that much funnier.
    ELr2OX0.gif

• The various memes and GIFs, of course.
    H5K1HyX.jpg
    dRD0nLv.jpg

Let's face the facts: console wars are the spice of gaming life. And so, God bless you, console warriors, you beautiful bastards.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Yea I love the 4 different teraflop threads within a few spaces from each other when the vast majority have no idea nor concern what it actually means just that one has more of them than the other.

I would like this if there was an actual war. For this to be a war Microsoft has to unveil a game that Sony wont have that actually makes people go "I need to have that". They basically failed to do this with the entire generation of the X1. It's not a fight.

Whitesnake

Banned
I don’t even like it as drama because it’s about something I fundamentally don’t know or care about. Who gives a fuck about teraflops?

I only care about performance if there’s a significant difference in the end user’s experience between consoles. And we’ll only know for sure if that significant difference exists after the consoles come out.

I’m not gonna read hundreds of pages of speculation about dumb shit. I just use the ban page as a highlight reel.

teezzy

Banned
I'm just grateful to see Xbox punching back hard this generation. If they can appease more Japanese publishers and developers to release games on their systems, then I'm all the better for it.

So tired of JRPGs skipping Xbox. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

PSbigfan

Neo Member
I like console wars because:

• It's fun to watch to watch all the prissy little babies - you know, the ones who call for a more mature discourse from the gaming community - pretend they don't have their own bias.
    • It's also fun to watch these allegedly high-minded individuals pretend that companies that produce consoles aren't engaged in a war against each other.
  • It's equally as fun to watch a bunch of blowhards, with seemingly nothing better to do with their time on this planet, perform mental gymnastics as they try to convince others (but mostly themselves) that things like teraflops or SSD bandwidth don't matter.
    • Personally speaking, I can't get enough of watching people with zero technical expertise or game development chops hurl performance metrics or technical specifications at each other in defense of their plastic box of choice.
  • The forum rivalries that console wars create are also incredibly entertaining.
    • Hurt feelings.
    • Feuds that span multiple threads, leading to drive bys and blatant shitposting.
  • Console warriors forget that the PC is king...has been and always will be, which makes the fight for distant second that much funnier.
    ELr2OX0.gif

• The various memes and GIFs, of course.
    H5K1HyX.jpg
    dRD0nLv.jpg

Let's face the facts: console wars are the spice of gaming life. And so, God bless you, console warriors, you beautiful bastards.
I like to watch console wars but this time it's like you are watching Seinfeld but not in funny way 😑.

Last edited:
You have to have more than one participant to be a war. If MS didnt basically give away their first party for free, those studios would have all been shuttered by now.

Chiggs

[/QUOTE]
You have to have more than one participant to be a war. If MS didnt basically give away their first party for free, those studios would have all been shuttered by now.

This is a truly valid point. I hope it's more competitive this time around.

Erdrick

I honestly thought this was about the book, Console Wars.

Myself and schoolmates used to have wars about what was better, Sega or Nintendo (This was back when it was NES and SMS, so... not much of a contest.)

Grinchy

Banned
I enjoy it for the most part. There are some people who take it a bit far. I won't name any names, but it isn't really needed because you see them post 10+ times per page in every console war thread anyway.

When people are actually serious about their console warring and post all day about their teraflops, it becomes less fun and more about concern for their mental health.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Console wars fuck suck tbh.

It encourages a lot of toxic behavior. it is getting worse too. now it is every fucking game.

the amount of time people spend in these pointless ego battle is way more than the amount of time they talk about the games themselves. it is just a bunch of noise imo. Extremist Consumers virtue signaling how much they love the things they buy. it is petty alienating and anti intellectual. anti social even.

it will probably be what makes me quit visiting this forum.

Last edited:
I come here regularly every few months because I remember this board being a place of somewhat relevant discussion. The last years it's been unbearable. Brand loyalty is pretty much the definition of what is wrong with this world. People don't like gaming, they love being on an imaginary team after never having been picked for one in school.

Console war dilutes the decent content this board has to offer from time to time.

Paracelsus

I liked console wars when there were games worth fighting over.
I liked console wars when it was about FFXIII on 360.
I couldn't care less over Sony flexing with TLOU and GoW and Microsoft with Halo, the other GoW or whatever.
Neither first party offer can hold a candle to Nintendo anyway, it was always about the third party offer, and both have almost the same games.
It's like fighting over modern wrestling companies: yeah, you could do that, but is it really like the monday night wars? Eeeh.

Top Bottom