• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I LOVE 2D Platformers! (56Kers Beware?)

JoeMartin said:
Game was fucking awesome for a free game. Played the shit out of it.

Then I got to the end and found out it had the most terrible/abrupt ending in gaming history.

You do all this work and go through all this story and you're building up to the final climactic end and you're like "YES MY QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!" and then it's all like "The End. <lame cutscene>"

And I was all like "THE FUCK?"

But for a free game it was alright.
Umm, you quite clearly didn't reach the end of the game. Here's a hint, when the guy asks you if you want to leave the island tell him no.
Anakinsella said:
Have you even played the original Gex? (not the sequals, or lol gex 64 lol)

And this thread is a "post your favorite 2d platformers" thread, not "post Nincompoop's favorite 2d Platformers."
I played it years ago, though I have to admit I don't remember much about it I definitely didn't like it as much as Rayman, which I played at around the same time. Anyway, the other guy was criticizing someone for posting Yoshi's Story so I was just saying there are a lot worse side-scrollers from that era, sorry if I offended any of you Gex fans out there (all 10 of you).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mega Man and Metroid are platformers? Man someone need to seperate the platformers from the action games

Undubbed

beelzebozo said:
did this get a wide release?

Just found out that it only came out in Europe for some reason. Came out in America as Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow on the SNES. Not sure right now if they're the exact same games though. I know how some SNES <-> GEN games can be very different sometimes.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
HK-47 said:
Mega Man and Metroid are platformers? Man someone need to seperate the platformers from the action games

Metroid is not a platformer.

Classic Mega Man probably is a platformer. Yes, you shoot at enemies, but the majority of the gameplay involves jumping puzzles and other platformer-like activities.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Undubbed said:
Just found out that it only came out in Europe for some reason. Came out in America as Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow on the SNES. Not sure right now if they're the exact same games though. I know how some SNES <-> GEN games can be very different sometimes.

it looks great. i love quackshot, so i think i'll try to play it, by hook or by crook.

Ranger X

HK-47 said:

Like in all those threads, anything 2D with a jump will become a platformer.

Bootaaay said:
Some of my favourite platformers from the Saturn;

Astal

astal1.jpg
astal2.jpg
astal3.jpg

Silhouette Mirage

silhouette1.jpg
silhouette2.jpg
silhouette3.jpg

Tryrush Deppy

tryrush1.jpg
tryrush2.jpg
tryrush3.jpg

Those could be great addition for xbla.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
Metroid is not a platformer.

Classic Mega Man probably is a platformer. Yes, you shoot at enemies, but the majority of the gameplay involves jumping puzzles and other platformer-like activities.

Its an action sidescroller, in the same genre as Ghouls n Ghosts, Castlevania, Sinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Crest, Gunstar Heroes, Contra, and Bionic Commando

Same with Cave Story

MisterHero

HK-47 said:
Samus' grapple beam is for killing bosses

Samus' X-ray vision is for giving enemies cancer

DUH

Oneself

Undubbed said:
I have Astal and ....I just don't see it. That game is incredibly generic.

As I said earlier, too much praise for such a below average game. It's just because it looks good.

And Silhouette Mirage's gameplay is about shooting, it's not about tight jumps and bottomless pits and shit. It's a fucking shooter with a jump button, like Gunstar Heroes.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
HK-47 said:
Its an action sidescroller, in the same genre as Ghouls n Ghosts, Castlevania, Sinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Demon's Crest, Gunstar Heroes, Contra, and Bionic Commando

Same with Cave Story

I definitely wouldn't put Mega Man in the same category as Contra or Gunstar Heroes. There's a huge disparity in the platforming-to-combat ratio between Mega Man and Gunstar.

Demon's Crest would be more in the vein of Metroid. Castlevania...eh, it's debatable.

Twig

Banned
Lack of Crystal Caves in this thread is ALSO A SHAME. KILL YOURSELVES NOW, HEATHENS.

Like many of the great shareware games of the Era of 2D Platformers, Crystal Caves came in a trilogy, with the first episode available for free as the "shareware" version, and the other two available only with a full purchase.

OH MY GOD IT'S A SPIDER. But look at all that sweet, sweet treasure. Mmmm!

1018308423-00477.gif

GIANT HAMMERS OF DOOM.

1018308354-00687.gif

Wow it's so green.

1018308302-00519.gif

But wait, there's more! Crystal Caves taught the young and impressionable youth of its time right from wrong!

1018308260-00842.gif

WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS, OKAY.

EDIT:
Halloween Harry / Alien Carnage.
THIS MAN KNOWS HIS SHIT.

Neo Child

Banned
cyrilcyberpunkvi6.jpg

Cyril Cyberpunk!!

Love that game.

Load of others I love, such as the above - Alien Carnage, Crystal Caves, Milo... that game where you were a green alien by Apogee.

MattG-PTB

I demand respect for Aero the Acro-bat and Aero the Acro-bat 2 for the Super NES and Sega Genesis! Ya gotta love a circus-performing bat that attacks evil clowns with a mighty drill spin.

aerotheacrobat.jpg

aero2b.png

aero2a.png

aero2c.png

And the music! Oh, the music! The original Aero has some of my favorite tunes from the 16-bit era. The GBA port released years later butchered the songs.

Apenheul

klausbert said:
No Plok ITT makes my heart hurt.
It looked great and had an awesome awesome Soundtrack. It made my heart not hurt, unlike this thread :( .

Plok was great indeed. I could only finish it on normal mode (or was it easy mode?) only to find out that the other difficulty setting had way more levels. Alas I never made it that far into the game ever again.

Also:

Trolls in Crazyland

Frame%20180%20097.gif

A very rare title. When I got stuck a long time ago I called the nintendo hotline about it and they didn't know the game existed (it is a legit game). Every so-many levels you get a rollercoaster stage where you can earn 1ups and stuff. Some jumps were unforgiving but the adorable troll characters made me play it :)

Scribble

HK-47 said:

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is definitely a platformer. A LOT of the challenge, if not most of it, is focused on timing your jumps correctly. Castlevania pre-Metroidvania was the same, IIRC. Gunstar Heroes and Contra are completely different to those games, as they're mostly just RUN AND SHOOT. The other games are just Mario with a bigger weapon arsenal.

When you're constantly shitting yourself when you're about to jump to the next platform, it's a platformer.

(This video of Ghouls 'n Ghosts, for example)

MidiSurf

Banned
Bourbon Cowboy said:
Am I blind or is Little Nemo the Dream Master absent from this thread?

There is NO excuse.

OMG this thread have massive overflow of great games.

EDIT: Okay this game might seem only great for me cos' i have so much nostalgia love for it but anyway worth of a try.

1082822270-00.png
1082822231-00.png

1082822158-00.png

It's Sleepwalker <3<3

harSon said:
Is this the game for SNES that had all the awesome mini games?

yeah, that's the one...That game was pretty hot...They had a tight football minigame on there...This is a game worth picking up OP.

miner_2049er.png

Miner 2049er

If you are open minded, which it seems you are...This is the first platformer that I fell in love with...So many good ideas like teleporting, this game blew my mind as a young lad...Haven't played it in years, so I'm not sure how it holds up, but it is excellent.

Which reminds me...This actually plays a lot like City Connection

City_Connection_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Where you have to cover every inch of the platform with baddies coming at you Marios Bros. style...This game is pretty hot too, and worth a looksie.

Oneself

ikkei said:
There is also a psx jap-only plataformer called Chippoke Ralph No Daibouken that is great.

juno.jpg

I played this for the first time last year (thanks to the Jap PSN - PSone downloads) AND IT'S AMAZING. Clearly one of the best platformers ever released.. and it's hard!

Stop screwing around. Get this game everyone. Right fucking now.

Zophar

dsmoke1986 said:
Which reminds me...This actually plays a lot like City Connection

City_Connection_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Where you have to cover every inch of the platform with baddies coming at you Marios Bros. style...This game is pretty hot too, and worth a looksie.
Oh man, I've been addicted to City Connection since I was 6 years old. It's awesome, even if its not really a platformer.

And yeah, toss another vote to Rocket Knight Adventures. Duh.

btrboyev

I have Astal and ....I just don't see it. That game is incredibly generic.

wrong...the only problem with the game is the floaty controls, but as soon as you learn it..you can see it was meant to be that way. Plus it IS the best looking 2D game ever, no question. It also has beautiful music.

Undubbed said:
Even when mentioning old Disney games this game NEVER comes up. I haven't played it since Sega Channel but I actually loved it.

Donald in Maui Mallard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6HsdyVNM8&feature=related

Edit: No wonder. I seems to only be released in Europe. Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow for the SNES I think is the same game and came out in the U.S.
Awesome, awesome game.

Another Disney game, this one by Traveller's Tales

or3q6h.jpg

Oneself said:
I played this for the first time last year (thanks to the Jap PSN - PSone downloads) AND IT'S AMAZING. Clearly one of the best platformers ever released.. and it's hard!

Stop screwing around. Get this game everyone. Right fucking now.

Wowowow, thanks for mentioning this is on the JP PSN *goes to download*

mr stroke

too many great ones still left out-

Mickeys Magical Quest-(one of the SNES's top 10)

disneys-magical-quest-3-starring-mi.jpg

snes-1735361.jpg

Cool Spot-
g02582w3qmw.jpg

Cool_Spot_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

Adams Family SNES(amazing when it first came out around SNES launch)
Addams_Family_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

Addams_Family_SNES_ScreenShot3.gif

Alien 3 SNES(I think its platformer, but I guess could be "adventure" too)
snespic1.jpg

Booger Man-

5847.jpg

Boogerman_A_Pick_and_Flick_Adventur.gif

Chester Cheeta(not really a classic but, I loved it back in the day)
4705a2c008a0f56bc119b010__AA264__L.jpg

Chester20Cheetah20-20Too20Cool20to2.png

and WTF on no Bubsy love?? the first one won game of the month in EGM and was well recieved, to bad Bubsy 3d was shit :(

gen_eurbubsy.png

bubsy2.gif

Don't think anyones mentioned this one yet, but 'Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions' on the SNES was a great platformer from what I remmember;

daffy1.jpg

daffy2.jpg

I vaguely remmember the Road Runner & Tazmanian Devil games were pretty good too. Any other Looney Toons platformers i've missed?

toff74

Again.. dont quite know where this one lies, but

EARTHWORM JIM!!!

And who can forget the originals...

Manic Miner
and
Jet Set Willy.

Tailzo

mr stroke said:
how could you mention Saturn and not say Clockwork Knight?
I remember seeing it for the first time in GameFan and shiting my pants on the rotating
2d graphics
Wasn't there a sequel? And was the sequel better? Kinda surprising to see that the Saturn had so many unknown games. I still haven't tried more than half of the best games on the system.

Top Bottom