• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I LOVE 2D Platformers! (56Kers Beware?)

Tsubaki

Plaid Socks said:
box-l.jpg

Yeah, because that game had platforming/jumping.

Overrated garbage, GTFO.

el Croux

Star Wars on the NES and Master System.
dw4ebs.jpg

14buvpw.png

Sooo much better than the frankly appalling SNES games. Tatooine was a joy, with all the caves and that to explore, and just look at the box-art. Class.

Jackie Chan's Action Kung-fu on the NES and PC Engine.
9rssw5.png

Imaginative characters, lovely sprites and it's nice and easy.

Batman on the NES.
wgwy14.gif

The original and best. Super solid controls and superb music.

Flashback on everything 16bit.
207nvde.gif

Some of the style of Another World, minus the frustration. With the exploration of Prince of Persia and an atmosphere to rival Super Metroid. SAD ending as well.

Earthworm Jim 2 on everything 16bit.
3463s7s.gif

Never played the first one that much, so don't know what one's better. But I loved this. Genuinely hialrious, some wonderfully weird characters and the 'salamander level' was just the best thing in gaming that year.

vilmer_

Oneself said:
I played this for the first time last year (thanks to the Jap PSN - PSone downloads) AND IT'S AMAZING. Clearly one of the best platformers ever released.. and it's hard!

Stop screwing around. Get this game everyone. Right fucking now.

:O I had no idea this was up in the JPSN!!

/me logs in

GrayFoxPL

MidiSurf said:
BTW Does anyone know good C64 platformers ?

Flimbo's Quest.

flimbos_quest_screenshot.jpg

But it's not a good platformer for c64...It's the GREATEST platformer on ANY platform! It's a platformer coded by GOD himself! It's utter exellence will remain unsurpassed for all ETERNITY!

Do you hear me?!

Btw. The game looks much better then the lousy screenshot.

DangerStepp

Wark said:
Gex is the sex.
Unless you played Gex 64.

"Don't take career advice from Joe Piscopo."

dont know if anyone mentioned this:

IMO, the my all time favorite game (wish they would make a true update to this game for next gen):

blaster-master.jpg

blastermaster.png

Blaster_master_01.png

Mar_ said:
2D platformers are my favourite genre as well. If you are a big fan and started gaming in the 90s, you missed out on the true hey day of the genre, the 80s.

Some of my favourite games:

Super Metroid:
supermetroid.gif

The Metroid games are more in the adventure genre.

Wonderboy in Monster Land:
wonderboyml.png

Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins:
ugngs.jpg

Two of the most stupidly difficult games ever.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
JoeMartin said:
Game was fucking awesome for a free game. Played the shit out of it.

Then I got to the end and found out it had the most terrible/abrupt ending in gaming history.

You do all this work and go through all this story and you're building up to the final climactic end and you're like "YES MY QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!" and then it's all like "The End. <lame cutscene>"

And I was all like "THE FUCK?"

But for a free game it was alright.

:lol :lol
You know there's multiple endings right? and that in the true ending, EVERYTHING is explained?
It's not "alright for a free game". It beats the crap out of 90% or even more commercial games.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DKnight said:
:lol :lol
You know there's multiple endings right? and that in the true ending, EVERYTHING is explained?
It's not "alright for a free game". It beats the crap out of 90% or even more commercial games.

fuckin' a, dude. my only complaint with cave story is that i can't play it on my tv. "on to grasstown" coming out of something besides my computer speakers = yes

mr stroke

Anyone know of any good SNES or GENISES emluators that I can use on my PC? I would like to go back and play some of these but don't want to fork out the money on ebay.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
beelzebozo said:
fuckin' a, dude. my only complaint with cave story is that i can't play it on my tv. "on to grasstown" coming out of something besides my computer speakers = yes

The Grasstown music is probably one of my favourite songs in the game. It's a shame that Grasstown itself is arguably the most tedious section of the game.

Personally, I prefer Jenka 2 (the Labyrinth music) and Running Hell.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Haven't seen it mentioned so:

adventures_of_batman_and_robin,_the.gif

i can't even get past the second level in this fuckin game.. :lol

anyway

g12663.jpg

a strange mix of mario world and yoshi island.. really fun, even if a little repetitive

sparkster.png

sequel to rocket knight.. check the genesis version too, it's a different game

Rolf NB

Top Hunter
Dual-layered brawling action awesomeness. And it has mechs. And it's for NeoGeo, so it looks really nice as well.

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Iam Canadian said:
The Grasstown music is probably one of my favourite songs in the game. It's a shame that Grasstown itself is arguably the most tedious section of the game.

Personally, I prefer Jenka 2 (the Labyrinth music) and Running Hell.

objectively, in retrospect, this is probably true. at the time, though, i was still buzzing from the realization that it was so fully realized, and--holy shit--a real freakin' game, that grasstown didn't bother me so much. my second playthrough it got to me a little, but the first time you understand the scope of what studio pixel (all one of him, heh) accomplished, it's really something.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
beelzebozo said:
objectively, in retrospect, this is probably true. at the time, though, i was still buzzing from the realization that it was so fully realized, and--holy shit--a real freakin' game, that grasstown didn't bother me so much. my second playthrough it got to me a little, but the first time you understand the scope of what studio pixel (all one of him, heh) accomplished, it's really something.

Yeah, the novelty of the whole thing kept me from noticing how repetitive Grasstown was the first time through. However, it becomes more apparent on subsequent playthroughs. But at least you get to fight Balrog twice. Fighting Balrog is one of the best parts of Cave Story.

Cave Story is an absolutely fantastic game. Anyone reading this: if you haven't played it, do so. This is NOT a suggestion. I command this.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Wow, a lot of you have skewed views of what a platformer is. Adventures of Batman and Robin? Top Hunter? Top Hunter is a co-op action game, and AB&R is a freakin' rediculously hard shooter.

And Blaster Master? BLASTER MASTER? I like the game, but c'mon now.

Are we including puzzle platformers? If so, I tend to think that this:

15mbhu8.gif

might be the most awesome platformer of them all. Top 5 at least.

Donkey Thong said:

15mbhu8.gif

Third on the original GB behind Wario Land 1 and Kirby 2, I thought... but even so, yeah, it is one of the all-time greats. All three of those games are pretty high on my all-time list.

KLoNe said:
I think someone has forgotten Apogee's brilliant MONSTER BASH!

Gah, I did completely forget about that one... :(

I remember it now, didn't play it that much, but it was pretty good, I think.

Gattsu25

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Lack of Crystal Caves in this thread is ALSO A SHAME. KILL YOURSELVES NOW, HEATHENS.

Like many of the great shareware games of the Era of 2D Platformers, Crystal Caves came in a trilogy, with the first episode available for free as the "shareware" version, and the other two available only with a full purchase.

OH MY GOD IT'S A SPIDER. But look at all that sweet, sweet treasure. Mmmm!

1018308423-00477.gif

GIANT HAMMERS OF DOOM.

1018308354-00687.gif

Wow it's so green.

1018308302-00519.gif

But wait, there's more! Crystal Caves taught the young and impressionable youth of its time right from wrong!

1018308260-00842.gif

WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS, OKAY.

EDIT:
Radthanael said:
Halloween Harry / Alien Carnage.

AlienCarnage.gif

Awesome array of weapons and fun... one of Apogee's last great 2D games.
THIS MAN KNOWS HIS SHIT.
Best post EVER
KLoNe said:
I think someone has forgotten Apogee's brilliant MONSTER BASH!

MBash12.png

MBash22.png

MBash32.png
Holy shit, I remember that game!! I've been trying to remember who made it and what it was called for years!
Donkey Thong said:

15mbhu8.gif

Best Donkey Kong game, IMO

Llyranor

Unconventional, but Kirby Canvas Curse is my favorite 2D platformer. What a brilliant game.

In terms of more traditional platforming, SMW is at the top of my list.

Top Bottom